Bert's Wooden Indian

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18426
2011/06/27 17:36:44 (permalink)

Bert's Wooden Indian

If you're ever in the Beaver, Pennsylvania area I recommend a visit to Bert's Wooden Indian for a barbeque sandwich that has nothing to do with barbeque. It's the ham barbeque sandwich at Bert's Wooden Indian. The ham is absolutely delicious, served sliced thin and piled high on a great bun. You can get barbque sauce with it, and they'll put other stuff on your sandwich, but it was fantastic even without anything other than the ham. The fries were fine, for fries, and they had malt vinegar for the asking (I asked).

On my next visit I had the pork barbeque sandwich. Same bun, but the pork roast, thinly sliced, was just ordinary. My companion that day was leechef, who made sure we went there, as she's been eating there since she was in junior high school. The first time she had the ham barbeque sandwich, too. On our second visit leechef had their cream of broccoli soup, which she lauded as excellent. It was broccoli, so I abstained. George H.W. Bush set me free from Broccoli. I did order a small portion of onion rings with my pork, but I was disappointed. They were heavily ovrcooked, and some of the rings even had burned spots on them.

Still the place is great, and I'd really like to get back again to sample the rest of the menu. The atmosphere is that of a country club grill with wooden paneling, wooden booths and prints of riding to hounds on the walls. All in all, a very nice place well worth a visit.

I forgot to include: http://www.bertswoodenindian.com/
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/06/27 17:48:24

7 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6800
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/27 17:44:13 (permalink)
    Whew!  I was under a lot of pressure trying to find a suitable eatery for Mr. Hoffman.  He did like Bert's and we went there two times.  I think that buffetbuster is also a fan of the place.  And it was always the place to go after Friday night football games.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10279
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/27 18:38:20 (permalink)
    Lleechef is 100% correct, I am a big fan of Bert's Wooden Indian.  The place hasn't changed a bit in the 25+ years that I have been going.  Really good homemade soups (known as Crockfulls of Goodness), pies, salads and that fine ham bbq that Michael Hoffman described.  Still, the one item that I have to order at every visit is the world-class grilled cheese, which uses three different types of cheese.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/27 18:58:06 (permalink)
    OK. Now I'm going to have to try the grilled cheese. Let me see. A ham barbeque sandwich followed by a grilled cheese sandwich. Aha! Ham and cheese.
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/28 18:54:15 (permalink)
    I'm a UPS driver from Beaver Falls, and Bert's is on my route. Steak salad with blue cheese dressing!!!. There are quite a few good joints in Beaver/Bridgewater. Little Meleo's is a deli that uses Boar's Head meats, Philly Originals for cheesesteaks and hoagies (no Amoroso, but Breadworks I think is better). They make me a 1/2 whiz 1/2 provy since I can never decide. They have some of the best cheese fries I've ever had. Mario's wood fired pizza, Cafe Kolache, Backdoor Tavern, Jerry's Curb Service. There's also a bar on Sharon Rd maybe 1/4 mile away from Bert's that has very good wings, but can't remember the name. Towne Square Restaurant is a good diner type too. I never, never have a bad lunch.

I grew up in Southside, but I think I eat better up here. Beaver county is loaded with good places. Someday I'll make up a list.

post edited by gostillerz - 2011/06/28 19:00:15
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/28 19:07:22 (permalink)
    I saw Little Meleo's, but didn't get a chance to stop there. I was going to get something at Philly Originals, but they don't have coffee, so I took a pass.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10279
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/28 19:39:04 (permalink)
    Beaver County is full of good restaurants.  Gostillerz mentioned Jerry's Curb Service and Cafe Kolache, two really good places.  Also on my list would be D & G Pizza in Beaver Falls, Police Station Pizza in Ambridge, Hank's Frozen Custard in New Brighton and Young's Frozen Custard in Zelienople.  But The Wooden Indian is still my #1!

And how could I forget Oram's, home to one of the best cinnamon rolls on the planet!
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/06/28 19:41:51
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Bert's Wooden Indian 2011/06/28 22:26:13 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Beaver County is full of good restaurants.  Gostillerz mentioned Jerry's Curb Service and Cafe Kolache, two really good places.  Also on my list would be D & G Pizza in Beaver Falls, Police Station Pizza in Ambridge, Hank's Frozen Custard in New Brighton and Young's Frozen Custard in Zelienople.  But The Wooden Indian is still my #1!

And how could I forget Oram's, home to one of the best cinnamon rolls on the planet!

Oram's is the best doughnut place in W/PA I believe. They have Brunton's milk in glass bottles, and their chocolate is more like a shake, so damn good. There's an old pharmacy on 7th Ave that supposedly has a soda fountain, but I haven't been there yet. I also have to give props to Marburger Dairy even though it's not in Beaver county. I saw Paula Deen using their buttermilk on a fried chicken show, and their selection of flavored (fake, gallon type) iced teas are insane. cherry, watermelon, even cinnamon for the "non-denominational winter holiday". Both still do residential deliveries too. It's a time warp here.

post edited by gostillerz - 2011/06/29 11:16:26
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1