Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1994
2006/09/27 16:11:36 (permalink)

Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts

New England chain Bertucci's bought out the smaller Vinny Ts according to the paper. Vinny Ts used to be called Vinney Testa's. I have eaten at each in the last 6 months, and both are good. I was surprised at the price. It must not include real estate, but to pay less than $1 mil per unit for an established brand, says to me that Vinny Ts was not doing well. They are big places in expensive locations (the local one is waterfront), and the buildout alone to duplicate would be several million per unit. The paper did not say if the Vinny T name will remain, or if they will convert to Bertuccis. Buca, the Vinny T parent company did not get a stock bounce on the news and remains at a little over $5 a share. They have a new CEO and have a lot of work to do to get back to the glory days of near $20 per share.

7 Replies Related Threads

Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/28 03:21:15 (permalink)
    Is Vinny T's (aka Vinny Testa's) any relation to former NFL quarterback Vinny Testaverde?
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/28 09:49:18 (permalink)
    One article in the Globe reported that Bertucci's plans to operate the two chains separately. I gathered that they see Vinny T's as being slightly more upscale, more of a dining destination, than Bertucci's.

I don't think there's any connection to football. Vinny Testa's started with one location in Brookline (that I know of) in the early 90s serving big portions of good-quality red sauce Italian. Kind of place where one salad, one pasta and an entree was dinner, next day's lunch, and a snack for a couple. Probably for that reason we haven't been back, but it was quite good at the time.

At some point they re-branded as Vinny T's of Boston. Maybe to avoid confusion with a football star, or maybe to emphasize its regional roots as it expanded? Parent company of Buca di Beppo bought it at some point and is now shedding it to reduce debt.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2409
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/29 00:02:05 (permalink)
    I used to go to Vinny Testa's in Brookline and Back Back when I lived in Boston. I liked the food (especially the roasted garlic bulbs with bread to start), but I thought the quality of the food went downhill when they switched to Vinny T's. I hope its better now. I also used to frequent Bertucci's and always had a decent meal there. They had a nice spicy dish of rigatoni with green peppers and sausage called Rigatoni Abruzzi, and I once had a wood oven baked dish of scallops in tomato sauce. I like that they bake the pizzas and the casserole type dinners in the wood oven. Great flavor and char.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/29 09:19:40 (permalink)
    Interesting... we received a $10 gift card in the mail from Vinny T's yesterday. Promotion must have been done under old ownership but arrived after the sale. Second one we've received in a year. Haven't used the last one, yet.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/29 10:11:39 (permalink)
    My daughter graduated from college in Boston in May, 2005. She & another 6-7 friends arranged a family-style dinner at Vinny Testa's for all the gathered families. Cash bar, for simplicity's sake.
    The food was not fancy but pretty good standard restaurant-Italian all around, in very sufficient quantities. They brought out platters of various appetizers for 30-40 minutes, and then main courses (the usual stuff), and a selection of desserts. We were at least 40 people; when the check came, it worked out to about $15.00 a head, INCLUDING TIP!!!
    I checked with a waiter and then a manager, to make sure there was no error. They assured us all was correct.
    Could this be why they needed to be taken over?
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1994
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/29 10:32:26 (permalink)
    You must have been discounted or bought less than a meal per person, which you can do with the platters. Our bill is usually in the $25 pp area and we don't get drinks. According to a story that I've seen since the original post, Vinny's has an average check in the higher range. (resturant pros, as I understand it, keep track of that)
    Ashphalt
    RE: Bertucci's buys Vinny Ts 2006/09/29 11:47:44 (permalink)
    The one time we ate there it reminded me of a few other places I've been where the per-plate cost seemed on the high side, but the size of the portions were so large that if a family or group ordered sensibly, it would be a great value.

Still $15 a head for an event is pretty amazing. Nice to know.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1