Hot!Best BBQ Sauce?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4318
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/14 21:00:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brightcopperkettles

BuddyRoadhouse,
I was going to try some Roadhouse BBQ sauce from the link you posted, but the shipping is more than the sauce is. Is there a grocery store that carries this?

Where ya at Copper? I'll clue you in. Our sauces are available at most upscale and independent grocery stores throughout the Midwest. Our core market runs from Minneapolis to Cleveland and as far south as Cincinnati. We have some distribution on the East and West coasts. Zero me in a little closer and I'll try to get you specifics.

It seems a bit odd that shipping is that much. I'll look into it. Also, there are other websites where you can find our sauces. I recommend Olbro first cause they're one of our oldest customers. Let me check out some other websites and get back to you.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/14 22:10:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I bought a quart of the Dreamland BBQ sauce for the Glee Club meeting in February. I rank Dreamland in the top three BBQ places in the USA. Their sauce in tangy and a little warm.

Some lucky person will take this home when we meet at the Moonlite.;

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN

Looks like we're going to have some FINE door prizes. I'll probably bring a slab of Broadbent's peppered bacon.
brightcopperkettles
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/15 02:26:51 (permalink)
We live in Western Washington (State) in Kitsap County. The sauce was around $5.50, and the shipping was $6.71. Now I like good sauce but that's a lot of money for one bottle of BBQ sauce.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/15 23:46:32 (permalink)
Copper my dear, here is what I've come up with: First of all,let me make it clear that other than Olbro, I do not sell directly to any of these retailers. They are pulling product from my other commercial distributors. I have no connection to them and cannot vouch for them, but here goes-
hotshoppe.com
saucecentral.com
ilovehot.com
cowboyroyshotsauces.com
pyropepper.com
eatugly.com
mohotta.com
undergrounddigital.com/hotshop/bbq.htm
farawayfoods.com

That last one is located in northern California, so the shipping might be a little more reasonable.

On the other hand, Theedge has a point--if you order a case from Olbro.com, you'll get a better price and lower rates on shipping. Their are 12 bottles to a case and he'll mix and match the four varieties if you'd like. The sauce is shelf stable with a two year + shelf life.

As for retail grocers in your area, I'll need to do a little more research. We do have a distributor in the bay area who covers everything from SoCal to the PNW, so they might have an outlet up your way. If it helps, you can inquire with your local grocer as to whether they do business with Gourmet Grocers a division of Unified Western Grocers. If so, your grocer might be able to order the sauce in special for you.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/15 23:48:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Copper my dear, here is what I've come up with: First of all,let me make it clear that other than Olbro, I do not sell directly to any of these retailers. They are pulling product from my other commercial distributors. I have no connection to them and cannot vouch for them, but here goes-
hotshoppe.com
saucecentral.com
ilovehot.com
cowboyroyshotsauces.com
pyropepper.com
eatugly.com
mohotta.com
undergrounddigital.com/hotshop/bbq.htm
farawayfoods.com

That last one is located in northern California, so the shipping might be a little more reasonable.

On the other hand, Theedge has a point--if you order a case from www.olbro.com, you'll get a better price and lower rates on shipping. Their are 12 bottles to a case and he'll mix and match the four varieties if you'd like. The sauce is shelf stable with a two year + shelf life.

As for retail grocers in your area, I'll need to do a little more research. We do have a distributor in the bay area who covers everything from SoCal to the PNW, so they might have an outlet up your way. If it helps, you can inquire with your local grocer as to whether they do business with Gourmet Grocers a division of Unified Western Grocers. If so, your grocer might be able to order the sauce in special for you.

www.hotshoppe.com
www.saucecentral.com
www.ilovehot.com
www.cowboyroyshotsauces.com
www.pyropepper.com
www.eatugly.com
www.mohotta.com
www.undergrounddigital.com/hotshop/bbq.htm
www.farawayfoods.com

There, is that better
brightcopperkettles
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/16 20:13:16 (permalink)
Thank you!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/16 21:49:55 (permalink)
My pleasure. Please let me know if you need any further help.
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/19 00:54:24 (permalink)
I like mine a little sweet and SWEET BABY RAYS ORIGINAL fits the bill just fine for me.

Butch
memphis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 08:47:48 (permalink)
SWEET BABY RAYS. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.
Jim in NC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 09:06:25 (permalink)
Good barbecue needs no sauce.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 09:25:58 (permalink)
I tried some yellow BBQ sauce the weekend before last...I'm guessing it was mustard base? Apparently this is a South Carolina thing...and I was pleasantly surprised.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 10:24:04 (permalink)
Where in Cincinnati do you get the sauce, BRH?
Jim in NC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 12:31:27 (permalink)
Mustard based sauce is common in central SC. A different type of mustard sauce can be found in south central GA and AL. Variants also are produced in southeast FL. (likely by transplanted Georgians or Alabamians)
mudbug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 12:46:53 (permalink)
My favorites at the moment are Salt Lick's and Leatha's.There are so many good sauces to try and so little time.
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 13:10:35 (permalink)
While living in Texas, I developed a jones for Stubbs, made locally in Austin. I was pleasantly surprised when it started showing up here in the Boston area. I also like Sweet Baby Ray's.

db
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 16:52:46 (permalink)
I just bought 2 cases (24 bottles) of "Smokehouse" sauce from Lexington # 1 BBQ in Lexington, NC for Christmas presents. Wayne Monk sells this only at the restaurant due to the regulatory complications of sending prepared food products via mail.

It works great on a pork loin slow simmered in a crockpot, and also adds a punch to grilled chicken. It is the table sauce at the restaurant, and it sure tastes like the sauce added to the coleslaw.

But then I'm totally partial to anything put out by the folks at Lexington # 1.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 17:53:21 (permalink)
I bought several quarts of Dreamland BBQ sauce. There are many sauces that are great but theirs was very good. It was tangy, sweet and slightly hot.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/28 20:56:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Oh, BRH is me. Sorry, didn't get it at first.

Try Jungle Jim's regular grocery section, not the gourmet section in back. Although ours is a gourmet sauce, we find we get better sales up in front, so opted for that placement. Also, some Bigg's stores carry our sauces. I'll need to check my notes for specifics on that. I'll get back to you, okay?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/29 09:38:58 (permalink)
sounds good, BRH
SurrealGourmet
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/29 17:30:36 (permalink)
I have to give a shout out to Roadhouse BBQ sauce. I LOVE IT! I live in St Louis and find it available from time to time, and when I do I stock up on it. What a unique flavor!

Not a BBQ sauce, but I also love Stubbs Wicked Chicken Wing Sauce. It's actually more like a BBQ sauce instead of the typical vinegary wing sauce.

Just my two cents...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/11/29 20:41:39 (permalink)
Thank you Surreal! St. Louis has been a tough market for us. The local favorite, Maull's, ties up a lot of shelf space and sets a sales standard that a lot of small labels (I call it Micro-Que) can't match. That last statement simply a matter of fact, it was not a comment one way or the other about Maull's, so no flames, please.

At one time all the Dierberg's and Shop & Save (Stop & Save?) and many of the Schnuck's stores carried our products. All these stores are still serviced by our distributor, Kehe Foods (pronounced Kay-Hee). If you find yourself in dire need of our sauces, the grocery manager at any one of these stores should be able to order some from Kehe.

BTW, we have a new flavor, Southern Sunset. This is a Southern style sauce inspired by North Carolina vinegar sauce and then expanded upon to include other flavors of regional Southern Barbecue (mustard, peach, garlic, a variety of peppers, citrus, molasses, and apricot). It is a radical departure from our other three sauces which reflect the Northern, tomato based, sweeter sauces.

Good luck in finding our sauce Surreal, and thanks for the shout. It's nice to hear from folks who appreciate our stuff.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2005/12/07 20:35:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Sorry this took so long but here's clarification: the Bigg's stores in Hyde Park and Mason along with Jungle Jim's carry our sauces.

Thanks for the interest TJ.

Buddy
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/24 10:48:05 (permalink)
quote:

I have avoided the blatant plug rule for 132 posts. I respect the rules and the ethics of this site, and under normal circumstances would not even be tempted to mention my products. However, when a softball like this one gets lobbed my way, I just got to take a swing:

Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce is the one to try.

I *think* I found your sauce when a stopped inlast night at the local Bigg's (my preferred grocer) which is undergoing extensive remodeling and "upscaling" of it's offerrings. I like cheap groceries, so the upscaling is not something I am happy about, but it does expose me to a variety of products I hadn't seen before.

This Biggs would be listed as one of the following: "Mt Washington", "Skytop", "Lunken", or "Beechmont", and is very close to where I live and where Wallyum works.

The sauce I saw was made in Des Plaines, and was priced at 3.99 a standard sized bottle.

Is that your sauce?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/24 12:49:16 (permalink)
That's us! Thank you for your extensive efforts to find our sauces.

As a point of interest, we are coming to Cincinnati in early April to do demos and samplings of Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauces. We will be at the Skytop Bigg's along with several other Bigg's and Jungle Jim's. I will let you know the exact dates that we'll be in which stores. In fact, if the Moderator Gods will allow it, I was hoping to post a full schedule of our Midwest samplings. We would like to meet other Roadfooders as we travel from Minneapolis to Cleveland, from Milwaukee to Cincinnati and many points in between.

Thanks again TJ. Hope to see you in April!

Buddy
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/24 13:07:12 (permalink)
I'd love to hear of it....even if the mods don't want a schedule posted, feel free to email me from my profile here with the days and times you'll be there.

I will pick up a bottle of the mild/original/baseline version in the next few days and let you know what I think

Whats this stuff sell for in Chicago and/or Des Plaines?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/24 14:51:26 (permalink)
TJ, our sauces sell for about $3.59 in the Chicago area. The additional $.40 accounts for the shipping. I'll keep you posted on those demo dates.

Buddy
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/27 08:54:03 (permalink)
So...BRH....I bought a bottle of Roadhouse sauce last night at Biggs for 3.39. I had thought it was 3.99, but I was mistaken.

Tried it out on some chicken last night, and found it to be suprisingly good, but suprising in three other ways as well

1) the chunks. I have bought bottled bbq sauces that were 'variants" on the main sauce with chunks of one thing or another - usually onions. But I had never had the "base version" in any sauce line that was "chunky" before. This wasn't a problem, but it was a suprise

2) the ingredients. where are all the absorbic this and acetic polyurethanase that? I also don't think I have ever thought of pineapple or raisins as bbq sauce ingredients

3) I think there is a definite and loudly stated preference on these forums (fora? hehe, whatever) for sauces that are savory rather than sweet. This is a fairly sweet sauce. Is one of the other variants less sweet than this main one?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/27 08:57:30 (permalink)
I copied the following response from Buddy on another thread, one I had started to "recreate" this thread, which I thought had gotten deleted. My mistake, my bad, but in any case, here's BRH's response
quote:

TJ,

I believe the thread you are looking for is in the "Recipes & Cooking Techniques" forum, currently about 9 lines down from the top. But as long as we're here...

Let me try to answer your questions without sounding too much like a commercial.

1. Three of our items, "Original", "Hot & Spicy", and Southwest", have the onion and pineapple chunks along with ground raisins. I like the way you get a little burst of flavor when you bite into one of the chunks, particularly in the "Southwest" version which also has chunks of jalapeno and mild green chiles.

2. Thank you for taking the time to read our labels. You are correct, there are no preservatives, additives, fillers or any other nastiness in our sauces. They are as clean as a bottled Barbecue Sauce can be. Nutritionally they contain zero fat and cholesterol, and they are extremely low in sodium and sugar content (there is some white sugar in there, but the fruit is the predominant sweetener). You might also note that while we do use a very small amount of corn syrup, it's role in the recipe is as a binder, not as a sweetening agent. Also, we use the old fashioned corn syrup, the kind you make pecan pie with, rather than the high fructose corn syrup.

Just an aside here; I wish I could take credit for being some kind of benevolent, health conscious, food warrior. The truth is, these high standards were at first largely accidental. Because we developed these recipes in my home kitchen, we didn't have access to all the junk that big food companies use. Once we'd established ourselves with the "Original" sauce as focusing on quality, we found that was the way to go and have based all our successive efforts on that same philosophy.

3. Ah, the sweetness issue. You are correct, our "Original" sauce is the sweetest and smokiest of our four products. It is our family style sauce; the one you would serve if you were feeding kids, or if you wanted to play it safe with a large group of folks with a wide range of tastes.

The "Southwest" version is less sweet and a little hotter with a very unique flavor; like Salsa and Barbecue Sauce together, my personal favorite of the bunch.

The "Hot & Spicy" does a pretty neat trick. It starts off sweet with almost no heat at all. Next you get a little tanginess from the lime juice. Finally, the heat sneaks in at the back of your tongue and balances off all the flavors. The "Hot & Spicy" sauce was selected by Family Circle (7/02 issue, "America's Top 10 Prepared Barbecue Sauces) and Reader's Digest (5/04 issue, America's 100 Best Products) as the best Barbecue Sauce in the country.

Finally, if you want almost no sweet at all, we just came out with "Southern Sunset", an homage to regional Southern Barbecue Sauce. We started with the North Carolina vinegar base sauce concept and then brought in other complimentary flavors from other parts of the South. Two kinds of vinegar and mustard from the two predominant NC 'Que styles, citrus and molasses from Florida, peach and onion flavors representing Georgia, garlic and three kinds of pepper holler out, "Louisiana"; we've even got ground apricots and just a smidge of tomato for color and depth. This one is a smooth sauce with a radically different flavor from the other three. Far more tangy, way less sweet, with a little bit of a kick at the end.

If you can't find "Southern Sunset" at Bigg's (it's fairly new, they may not carry it yet), I know for certain that Jungle Jim's has it. As I may have stated in an earlier post, check JJ's regular grocery section up front for our sauces.

Hope all that helps. Hope to meet you in April when we visit Cincy!

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/02/27 13:07:37 (permalink)
TJ,

Thanks for incorporating this into the original thread.

Buddy
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Best BBQ Sauce? 2006/03/01 16:11:12 (permalink)
I know I shall go to the infernal regions for doing so but I mix equal parts of Lex #1 and Stamey's for our sauce. I now live in Rowan county NC where a BBQ shoulder is served at Christmas... these folks are serious about Q.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1