The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In...

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
http://www.concierge.com/ideas/foodwine/tours/2615

Best dozen BBQ joints coast-to-coast. I am going to assume that they are listed in no particular order, as they surely seem to be random. As with all lists of this sort, they will surely generate discussion, but I don't think we're going to solve the great debate any time soon.

Heck, the first comment ought to come from either wanderingjew or buffetbuster when they read that Harold's of Atlanta made the list!!!

There is also an already raging discussion on the topic, which can be found[url='http://plantsman57.newsvine.com/_news/2008/07/07/1644180-bring-a-bib-to-americas-best-barbecue-joints#comments']here[/url].

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7399
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 9:41 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25503253/

Heck, the first comment ought to come from either wanderingjew or buffetbuster when they read that Harold's of Atlanta made the list!!!

You betcha

Harold's BBQ was the first roadfood joint to actually earn a rating on my "roadfood list" it was definetely the first Stern recommended place that left me feeling physically ill
    (although the Irondale Cafe in Irondale Alabama came close)

I am glad to see that LC's, Louie Mueller's and the extremely underrated Payne's (my all time favorite in Memphis) are on the list.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
      RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 9:48 AM (permalink)
      For those that are griping about not including Arthur Bryants and Corkys, wouldn't their 'chain' status exempt them from this list?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 9:59 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by susanll

For those that are griping about not including Arthur Bryants and Corkys, wouldn't their 'chain' status exempt them from this list?

Corky's is in fact a chain and was also my most dissapointing bbq stop during my initial visit to Memphis in 1999. We did find Arthur Bryants dissapointing on our last visit a few weeks back- however we're hoping it was an isolated incident- however with only 3 locations if Arthur Bryants is a "chain" (I don't consider it one) then Paynes in Memphis would also be a chain with 2 locations.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
          RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
          Just skimmed the article, but picked up this error re: Mueller's. Taylor is north or NNE of Austin, certainly not west as per the article.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
            RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 3:29 PM (permalink)
            I eaten at two Corky's- one in Memphis and the other may have been in GA, but I'm not sure. It was perhaps a step up from LLoyd's grocery BBQ. Don't see how it could be on anyone's list, except to avoid.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
              RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/8/08 8:52 PM (permalink)
              How is Arthur Bryant's a chain? Because they have 2 or 3 places? What's that all about.

LC's in KC is a place that many people who live there do say is better than AB's. It's a pretty big competition. It's a constant argument on chowhound.com I've only been to AB's and it's the best I've ever had by far.

This is a very interesting list. Cozy Corner is another place that the locals tout..I am glad they did not include Interstate..A big disappointment. Never got to Cozy Corner. I believe the Stersn have loved this place "long time."

My next vote goes to Tom Jenkin's right here in So Florida and my third choice would be Big Bob Gibsons in Alabama.

Some of the places in Texas look fantastic. Perhaps they should have had higher repressentation on the list? Lists lists lists.

norton

• Total Posts: 16
                RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/11/08 4:56 PM (permalink)
                They lost me when they put Moonlight in Owensboro in the rankings. I ate there one time and didn't think it was anything special. Meat was real fatty and didn't taste like it had been smoked. More like pressure cooked with liquid smoke. Won't go back.

Ozzie88

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Sun, 07/13/08 9:10 AM (permalink)
                  I had the cochon de lait bbq at NOLA Jazz Fest 2008 and for this lifetime (so far) it is the best I've had.

From the Times-Picayune April 24, 2008 "Fans flock for Wanda Walker's cochon de lait po-boys"

At the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival presented by Shell, Walker and her catering company, Love at First Bite, will slow-smoke a ton -- literally -- of pork butt over a hot barbecue pit. Then they will layer mounds of the warm shredded pork with cold cabbage and a homemade horseradish sauce on French bread, balancing the hot and the cold, "the yin and the yang," as Walker puts it. And customers will be lining up for their portions.

"Cochon de lait" is the Cajun term for a roast suckling pig and the party for serving it. Walker said that trying to get enough meat off the bulky suckling pig is very hard. Instead, she uses bone-in pork roasts because they have "that good flavor boneless butts don't have."

The meat is heavily seasoned, then given 12 hours of slow hickory smoking.

As for the influence, "I think it's what we call New Orleans cooking," Walker said. "We have our own flavor here....It's not vinegary. It's not cooked without seasoning. Most people here (at the restaurant) don't want the sauce; they take the ribs the way they are."

Walker's barbecue sauce has a chipotle-tinged edge. When she's not catering at festivals, her restaurant serves ribs, chicken, brisket, chopped beef and sausage for lunch on a limited basis, currently Wednesdays through Saturdays. The restaurant opens at 10:30 a.m. and closes after the food is sold out, which is sometimes 12:30 p.m., sometimes 2:30 p.m.

A slightly different version of the cochon de lait po-boy, with coleslaw instead of cabbage and horseradish sauce, is served at the bare-bones restaurant at 10828 Hayne Blvd., across from the levee, in a still-struggling eastern New Orleans neighborhood. Walker and her husband, Skip, live nearby and are repairing their flood-damaged home themselves. Full article below.

http://blog.nola.com/judywalker/2008/04/wanda_walker_keeps_her_cool_wh.html

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Mon, 07/14/08 2:01 PM (permalink)

While I do agree that the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro,KY does BBQ in a large volume operation, as opposed to a small BBQ shack by the side of the road, I CAN attest to the genuine smoked meats they create. I have taken the kitchen and smokehouse tours several times. The meat is NOT pressure cooked, and does go thru a traditional smoking treatment. I have found the buffet to be (when under heavy traffic demands) a bit less than great. However we try to eat there at off-peak hours when the pressure is lower and the pace not quite so hectic. We were there last Friday evening and the Catfish, both whole and fiddlers were great. Fried Oysters were also very good. The Beef was outstanding and the Pork Ribs were acceptable (not as good as usual). I am not a Mutton fan so I skipped the traditional sheep-pieces.
                    I like the sides of Fried Apples and their Potato Salad, as well. Desserts?? Fudge covered Pecan Pie is a favorite as is the Blackberry Cobbler.
                    I endorse the Moonlite's appearance on the list for National Recognition!

ronb

• Total Posts: 2
                      RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Mon, 07/14/08 3:06 PM (permalink)

BY FAR WWW.BIGCITYBBQ.COM IN MESA AZ IS THE BEST GOOD YOU CAN ACTUALLY PUT THERE SAUCE ON ANYTHING IT'S THAT GOOD.

RJB

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/15/08 8:43 PM (permalink)

Southside, Smitty's, Blacks, Kreuz Market, Louis Muellers...the list goes on and on. I think for shear numbers of good BBQ joints that region around Austin is about Tops in the country. Nationwide There are a number of very high quality (individual) BBQ places that could be considered 'top of the line', in Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis etc etc, but for the number of good ones in one area, head to the Austin Area.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Tue, 07/15/08 8:46 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Southside, Smitty's, Blacks, Kreuz Market, Louis Muellers...the list goes on and on. I think for shear numbers of good BBQ joints that region around Austin is about Tops in the country. Nationwide There are a number of very high quality (individual) BBQ places that could be considered 'top of the line', in Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis etc etc, but for the number of good ones in one area, head to the Austin Area.

Al
                          I just got my haircut, the guy that cuts my hair insists that this is the best BBQ Joint Ever

[url]www.wesribhouse.com[/url]

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                            RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Wed, 07/16/08 12:58 AM (permalink)
                            Dale, I had to laugh when I looked at that website. A lot of care was taken to stage that food with flowers and other accoutrements. Wonder how much care goes into the cooking? The most recent award they mentioned was from 10 years ago! And their description of their Buffalo Wings? I'm guessing that is where some people got the idea that wings are actually from the buffalo. Methinks the barber needs to get out more.

quote:

Al
                            I just got my haircut, the guy that cuts my hair insists that this is the best BBQ Joint Ever

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                              RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Wed, 07/16/08 11:21 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by billyboy

And their description of their Buffalo Wings? I'm guessing that is where some people got the idea that wings are actually from the buffalo.

I wonder if Jessica Simpson's ever seen it. Certainly if chickens can live in the sea then buffalo must be able to fly...

There's a couple of photos of a cook playing with fire under "About Us" and under "Catering > Classic" it says the meats are cooked over real wood, but a photo of the smoker and some detailed text would be nice.

Brad

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Wed, 07/16/08 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

Dale, I had to laugh when I looked at that website. A lot of care was taken to stage that food with flowers and other accoutrements. Wonder how much care goes into the cooking? The most recent award they mentioned was from 10 years ago! And their description of their Buffalo Wings? I'm guessing that is where some people got the idea that wings are actually from the buffalo. Methinks the barber needs to get out more.

Billyboy,

Seriously, my barber (actually he's a hairstylist) I pay him $25 to cut my hair- is originally from NY- a Puerto Rican fellow who grew up in Harlem although he's been in Rhode Island now for 35 years.

Most Rhode Islanders rave about the place. In fact I remember showing the 2002 edition of Roadfood to one of my ex-coworkers and she was somewhat surprised at the Rhode Island restaurants they chose for that edition- I asked her what she would have recommended- she mentioned Wes' Rib House and another "regionally authentic" restaurant called Mr Taco.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                  RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by ronb

BY FAR WWW.BIGCITYBBQ.COM IN MESA AZ IS THE BEST GOOD YOU CAN ACTUALLY PUT THERE SAUCE ON ANYTHING IT'S THAT GOOD.

RJB

Welcome aboard with this first posting. However, posting in, "FULL CAPS" is a no-no.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                    RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:

quote:

Al

Al, who is their competition, in Rhode Island?

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                                      RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by ronb

RJB

I wonder if ronb is Ron Baldwin of Big City BBQ?

http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=bigcitybbq&page=7

ronb

• Total Posts: 2
                                        RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                        no neb i wish no my name in ron barrens...sorry just a fan of their q it is good stuff.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                          RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                          My gal Linda and I travel this country to experience regional food extraordinaire. BBQ is no longer that..
                                          This subject BBQ is getting quite boring.............
                                          The country is in a BBQ craze and every one is an expert and every BBQ'er clams he's the best in all the land..... I've had it with all this crap.... what once was a regional delight is now as common as flies on stink......... I have been disappointed 10 out of 10 so called five star BBQ joints recommended on these pages. ........... Today BBQ joints are as common as pizza and hot-dogs and only makes great fodder for the quasi Roadfood aficionados.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                            RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by sizz

makes great fodder for the quasi Roadfood aficionados.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 07/18/08 9:41 PM (permalink)

Sizz,

Come On, Don't hold Back ! We want to know how you really feel!

BTW I understand your point of view. It has become quite difficult to find those little out of the way BBQ stands (and other types of 'roadfood' too) in this rapidly urbanizating, pasturizing, chain-creating country of ours.

MiamiDon

RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Sat, 07/19/08 8:18 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Al

I was at the[url='http://www.fairchildgarden.org/index.cfm?page=events&date=07-2008&eventID=260']Mango Brunch[/url] last Sunday, and found myself in line at Alan Susser's stand with a woman from our table. She opined that although all of the food was fine, what she really likes is "ribs". I chatted about the problems that many of the restaurants have with preparing BBQ, when she asked me, "Well, where do you recommend?" After some thought, I said that I do not recommend any place in town, without some reservations about the quality, etc. She told me that the "best ever" is [url='http://www.flanigans.net/']Flanigan's[/url]. I don't know for a fact how they make them, but they are not BBQ'd. Think Appleby's/Tony Roma's/TGI Friday's. I started to mention a couple of places that actually BBQ, but she told me that she doesn't like "smoky".

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                  RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Sat, 07/19/08 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by MiamiDon[[url='http://www.flanigans.net/']Flanigan's[/url].

Isn't Flanigans the old Big Daddy's lounge's?.....
                                                  I remember hitting Flanigans in East Lauderdale AGES ago..

BarenakedChef

• Total Posts: 35
                                                    RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Sat, 07/19/08 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    How about Dreamland? The original...in Tuscaloosa :)

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
                                                      RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Sun, 07/20/08 3:00 AM (permalink)
                                                      Even Dreamland in B'ham is not too shabby! We had a great meal there a few years ago.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                        • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Best BBQ in America? The Sterns Weigh In... Fri, 08/1/08 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                                        Having never eaten at wes ribhouse, I can't comment on the taste. I did go to their website and it really made me snile and laugh.

The bbq got lost in the floral decorations. I do bbq catering and would have never thought to break it down into the types of categories they have in their catering link.

So day I would like to try them to see if the hype is correct or if they are just damn glad to have a BBQ "joint"

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com