Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2009/02/26 11:49:09 (permalink)

Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC

Hey guys, as some of you know I grew up eating Down East NC pork BBQ. I have expanded and actually do like Lexington style Q now. So here's my question, what's the best BBQ in the Raleigh/Wake County NC area?

I like BBQ Lodge in North Raleigh on Capitol Blvd ( mini city ), I can tolerate Coopers's in downtown Raleigh near my wfie's job, and will settle for Smithfield BBQ and Chicken in a pinch.

So give me some feedback. I know it's hard to find a place that still cooks with wood like I grew up on but let me know who you like. BTW, not a big fan of Allen & Sons.

Dennis in Cary

22 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10079
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/02/26 12:05:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for starting this thread Dennis.  I will be in Raleigh in a few weeks and will be keeping a close eye on the replies.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/02/26 20:14:57 (permalink)
     buffetbuster, let me know when you are coming to town and we can go grup on some pig.

Denni sin Cary
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/02/27 21:26:24 (permalink)
    I've had Wilber's, Skylight Inn, Moore's in New Bern, Smithfield's in various locations, pretty much all the major establishments offering Eastern NC Q...but the very best in my opnion is B's Barbecue in Greenville.  I don't know if it's the whole atmosphere at B's (standing in a line of 30 people as excited as you are, seeing 75 cars packed together in a parking lot meant to fit 10, and getting doused in the smoke coming from the charcoal pits where they are continuously cooking whole hogs and chicken) but it sure is an awesome experience.

But please, if you give B's a shot...you must try the BBQ chicken (I get the combo). It is the very best piece of bird I have ever had.  It is grilled, but ends up with a crisp, dried outside skin- a texture that reminds me of a mix between a pork skin you by in the store and the crispy outside of an apple turnover...you'll know what I mean when you try it.

I'm a student at ECU, which is right there in Greenville, so the next time I go I will take a picture and show you what I'm talking about.

I look forward to hearing what everyone else believes is the best in NC. 

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/02/27 22:07:55 (permalink)
     'QueperMan. I am from Kinston just down the road and have eaten at the places you mention. Skylight Inn is my all time favorite followed by B's. You're right, B's BBQ chicken is off the charts.  Wilber's is the other in my top 10. 

Dennis in Cary
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/02/28 10:36:29 (permalink)
    I've never eaten at B's.  Being from just down the road a piece in Wayne County we head to Greenville somewhat often.  Any time I'm that close to Ayden I just bypass B's (even with the legendary lore behind it) and go straight to Pete Jones' Skylight Inn...the best in NC in my opinion.
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/02/28 10:57:02 (permalink)
    I'm sorry Dennis, you were asking about places in the Raleigh area.  I've heard of a couple of good places in Willow Springs (about 20-30 min. south of Raleigh): Stevenson's Barbecue and Sutton's Barbecue.

There is also a place a little closter to you, near Capital Blvd, called Don Murray's Barbecue and Seafood. Have you tried any of these?
    post edited by 'QueperMan - 2009/02/28 10:59:09
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/03/04 14:13:22 (permalink)
     'Queperman, I was at Stevenson's a few weeks ago and the place was a mad house. Everything was really good but the Que was both very greasey while being dry at the same time. Does that make any sense???

Dennis in Cary
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/03/04 14:30:55 (permalink)
    I think I know what you mean.  I actually prefer my bbq a little on the drier-leaner side, which typically comes from places that cook with the whole hog as you get a little bit of the dry ham meat in there along with the moist shoulder.  I wonder if the bbq had been frozen, because sometimes I find that frozen bbq gets almost a sloggy-greasy consistency but without the flavor that typically comes with it.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2009/03/05 20:09:53 (permalink)
    "Queper, you should come up to Raleigh Saturday. Buffetbuster and Wanderingjew are coming to town and we are going out to Barbecue Lodge in north Raleigh @ 1:00

Dennis in Cary
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/02/21 23:15:18 (permalink)
    My old time favorite was Murray's Barbecue on Old Poole Road, though they are gone now. I like Cooper's the most of those you mentioned.  Don Murray's, and the Barbecue Lodge, both owned by Don Murray at one time,  tend to be too concerned about pushing numbers through the doors.

Tony doesn't own Cooper's any more, but when he did, he was very respectful of its' heritage. not saying the new owners are not, just saying that he was...
    puddlejumper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/02/22 23:03:11 (permalink)
    My favorite que in the Raleigh area is up North of town on US 1 at Holden's BBQ. It is past Wake Forest about a mile or two on the right.

Since others mentioned B's, I will throw in it is the best BBQ around. I live in Greenville. The chicken is superb and the bbq exactly like it should be for eastern que. This is a picture of B's. It hasn't changed much over the decades.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/02/23 06:57:11 (permalink)
    I passed through Greenville last week and I wish that I had known about B's; I could have spared myself a less-than-stellar meal at the Skylight Inn.
    Pocosin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/02/23 16:11:51 (permalink)
    JayL

I've never eaten at B's.  Being from just down the road a piece in Wayne County we head to Greenville somewhat often.  Any time I'm that close to Ayden I just bypass B's (even with the legendary lore behind it) and go straight to Pete Jones' Skylight Inn...the best in NC in my opinion.

I prefer Pete Jones' also, but B's is worth doing at least once, for the barbecue chicken in particular.
    PorkyLeSwine
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/04/07 22:24:21 (permalink)
    As a BBQ Jew who grew up in the Triangle, I can say (with disappointment) that looking for good barbecue in Wake County is a bit like looking for a girlfriend at a convent... not much to choose from. 

The Pit in Raleigh, as far as I know, is the only place in Wake County that cooks over wood, which is a prerequisite for being considered good barbecue (or barbecue at all, truly).  Allen & Son in Chapel Hill (not Pittsboro) is the best 'cue in the Orange-Durham-Wake counties, I'd say.  But if you live in Wake, it won't take long to drive to the famous Eastern NC joints some others have mentioned. It'll be worth the trip.
    Pocosin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/04/08 10:19:59 (permalink)
    PorkyLeSwine
    The Pit in Raleigh, as far as I know, is the only place in Wake County that cooks over wood, which is a prerequisite for being considered good barbecue (or barbecue at all, truly).  Allen & Son in Chapel Hill (not Pittsboro) is the best 'cue in the Orange-Durham-Wake counties, I'd say.  But if you live in Wake, it won't take long to drive to the famous Eastern NC joints some others have mentioned. It'll be worth the trip.

I tried The Pit recently and the barbecue was great- definitely on par with the best eastern NC places.  The sides and the tea were really lacking, though. 

As you say, it's not much of a drive from Raleigh to the all-around excellent places, especially now that 264 connects directly to 440.  Thinking about the nearest example, you could probably get from Raleigh to Blackbeard's in Conetoe in around 45 minutes these days.
    3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/04/11 10:51:22 (permalink)
     IMO, if you're gonna drive from Wake Co. to get BBQ, east is the wrong direction !

Even though Allen & Son is tasty, their portions don't equal their prices. You need to go further west for the very best :)
     Mebane, Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem all have great BBQ, but the Mecca of Que, Hog Heaven is most definately Lexington. So much BBQ, so little time.
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/06/11 11:21:44 (permalink)
    Here are 2 good places just west of Raleigh:

in Morrisville, NC

in Durham, NC.  A wood burner and disregard the poor spelling on the website.  Featured in Man vs Food.
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/06/11 11:25:39 (permalink)
    The 1st place above is Smokey's Bar-BQ in Morrisville, NC

The 2nd place is Backyard Bar-B-Q Pit in Durham, NC (wood burner)
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/06/11 12:55:45 (permalink)
    Steve, I'm not seeing a link
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/06/11 15:47:36 (permalink)
    Captain - Because i don't have 30 posts the restrictive Roadfood website won't show my links.  Both places are very good and you can find them with Google.
    3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2010/06/15 09:43:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve. I went by Smokey's yesterday. Got the Pulled Pork platter, w/ green beans, mac & cheese, & a side of onion rings & tea. Comes with hushies. The meat was really good. Ate a bite or two without sauce, and the smoke flavor was very apparent. I had read the sauces were different, but I couldn't distinguish it. Maybe my taste buds. Anyway, the the sides were tasty too, but my hush puppies were not. Think maybe they'd been cooked to long, and sat for awhile. All in all, a VERY good meal for $12 & change.

http://www.smokeysshack.com/

Now I've been to Backyard BBQ Pit before. Excellent is all I can say. Big portions, wonderful flavor.

http://www.sweetribs.com/backyard-bbq-durham-nc-story.html

BBQMAN1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Best BBQ in Raleigh/Wake County NC 2012/07/10 21:39:20 (permalink)
    My parents, who live in Wake, told me about The Pit. Being from Texas, I must say I was a bit disappointed. Then on another visit, they told me about Prime Smokehouse. EXCELLENT! Everything ... the ribs, brisket, shoulder and the sides (mac & cheese, collards, sweet yams ... was unbelievable. Now, when I visit the Raleigh area, I make sure to go to Prime. And I take friends with me. Never a disappointment! Cornbread is a bit sweet for my taste, but it's the only thing I can say I'm not in love with, and I've eaten everything on the menu - many times over.
    post edited by BBQMAN1 - 2012/07/10 21:41:04
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1