Best BBQ in the world!

Author
Kaczmark
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2008/10/20 11:41:10 (permalink)

Best BBQ in the world!

I just had the best BBQ ever (and I have been all over the south) right here in Rochester.

Sticky Lips BBQ
625 Culver

http://stickylipsbbq.com/stickylips/main.html

Give it a try!

26 Replies Related Threads

tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/20 11:58:07 (permalink)
    Rochester where ?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13497
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/20 13:08:10 (permalink)
    Best BBQ in the world??? That is a poweful statement to make. I would be interested in your standards as you have traveled all over the south. I would assume that includes the top BBQ places in TN, TX, NC and Missouri?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/20 22:33:23 (permalink)
    Looks like this is Rochester, NY from the website and they have a version of the "Garbage Plate" a la Nick Tahou's and a sandwich based on the Primanti Brothers classic.

Kaczmark, would love to hear more details about your experience there. What did you eat? What was it about the food and/or experience that set it apart and made it the best for you?
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 02:19:55 (permalink)
    Best BBQ in the world? That is a bold statement. I do believe there are four areas of the US that have alot of BBQ to be proud of. I do not believe NY is one of them. Diffrent tastes to all. But again. New York????????????
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 09:06:02 (permalink)
    Is there a charge on this site for self promotion?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7835
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 09:23:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wabbit

Best BBQ in the world? That is a bold statement. I do believe there are four areas of the US that have alot of BBQ to be proud of. I do not believe NY is one of them. Diffrent tastes to all. But again. New York????????????

Why not NY? If you've read the forum there has been somewhat of a BBQ revival on Long Island.

Some delusionally think that Southern California has the best burgers and I can think of at least four other regions in the country that blow LA and So-Cal out of the water(and then some). Approximately one million people here in Rhode Island think that Rhode Island has the best bbq around along with the best Mexican and Steak too, and they feel very strongly about that too.

Perhaps it really is subjective.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 09:57:30 (permalink)
    "All-styles" BBQ emporia seem to be a growing food trend.

I say "fantastic"! A few years before we moved from McLean, VA to McKinney, TX (DFW Metroplex) an excellent one opened up in Chantilly, VA: www.dcbbq.com .

And in Chicago there is one so good that the Food Channel's feature on it www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-oobRhesU almost had me hopping on a plane. www.smoquebbq.com .

When in Orlando I avoid Sonny's like the plague, but really enjoy Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ near Universal: http://www.bubbalous.com/ .

So, if I am ever in Rochester - which would be for the first time - I'll try Sticky Lips. I hope by then they will offer Eastern Carolina vinegar/pepper sauce: www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com .
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 10:12:53 (permalink)

The combo plates are named after famous planes. I am not satisfied. There is no B-52, that should be a immense combo, or a BBQ plate w/beans, slaw and other gaseous inducing ingredients and call it the Stealth Bomber...

mark
    acmalcolm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 10:46:36 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-you continue to amuse me.If it's not,in your opinion NYC has no good sushi,then it's one million Rhode Islanders believe that thie state has the best BBQ.BTW,the total population of RI is slightly over one million.What has caused this sudden change from what can only be described as the fiercely "eat regionally" person you portray in your trip reports-often castigating others for eating something other than regional food when they report on their trips?Again I say you are a funny man.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7835
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 11:12:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acmalcolm

wanderingjew-you continue to amuse me.If it's not,in your opinion NYC has no good sushi,then it's one million Rhode Islanders believe that thie state has the best BBQ.BTW,the total population of RI is slightly over one million.What has caused this sudden change from what can only be described as the fiercely "eat regionally" person you portray in your trip reports-often castigating others for eating something other than regional food when they report on their trips?Again I say you are a funny man.

I'm only playing devils advocate....frankly the only time I had bbq on Long Island was about 4 or 5 years ago and I thought it was pretty bad, it was a place in oceanside that's no longer in business.
    "I" and I'm using that term subjectively, choose to eat "regionally" when I travel. When I'm home I don't. I encourage others to do the same and may "mock" them if they don't, but I can't legitimately criticize others if they choose not to, it's their choice, not mine to make, on the other hand I've been mocked many times on the forum for being "too rigid" and not breaking out of my "subjectively regional" shell, although on infrequent occasions, I have.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 12:56:29 (permalink)
    quote:

Why would the location have anything to do with it? Explain the statement please. Does it mean that people in New York don't know what good BBQ is or tastes like? I just don't understand the statement...Russ
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13497
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/10/25 13:04:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Why would the location have anything to do with it? Explain the statement please. Does it mean that people in New York don't know what good BBQ is or tastes like? I just don't understand the statement...Russ

In my opinion, it does not, however the concentration of BBQ in NY or other northern regions does not equal that of the south, particularly in TX, NC, TN or MO. That equates to you are more likely to find excellent BBQ due to the density.

I am sure that there are places in NY and other areas that have super BBQ but due to heritage and other factors, it is not as prevalent.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Legran22
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/12/11 16:56:30 (permalink)
    You'll excuse me if I don't catch the first flight to Rochester to check it out. Let's see, there's Texas style, Carolina style, Memphis style, Kansas City style and ROCHESTER STYLE? Rochester may have the best pizza or hot dog or something, but I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that I haven't missed the best barbecue in the world by not going to Rochester. What are they doing....importing mesquite?
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/12/11 17:47:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Legran22

You'll excuse me if I don't catch the first flight to Rochester to check it out. Let's see, there's Texas style, Carolina style, Memphis style, Kansas City style and ROCHESTER STYLE? Rochester may have the best pizza or hot dog or something, but I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that I haven't missed the best barbecue in the world by not going to Rochester. What are they doing....importing mesquite?

I may not fly to Rochester for the BBQ however if I am ever in Rochester I will definately stop in and try it. The one thing about a BBQ joint is the minute you walk in you know if its the real deal or not.Heck my favorite Thai Restaurant is in Dayton Ohio...Russ
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8362
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/12/11 22:52:31 (permalink)
    I have eaten BBQ in many regions of the country, many styles, but my favorite remains some roving stand that was at a Harley event this summer.Cant remember the name, and when I asked, he said he changes the name for the event.His rib tips were the best I have ever had-and the sauce was almost as good as Buddy Roadhouse's.If only I could cook like that....
    WarToad
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/12/12 08:34:31 (permalink)
    "... in the world."

BBQ is just so regional, I find it difficult to judge "best" when the very taste of it changes so much as you jump region to region, let alone country to country and ethnic twists with rubs and sauces.

Within America, my personal tastes skew to a texas style with sauce on the side. I say that until I get some really good KC style. Then I remember some low slow smoked pig I had in Indonesia that had a killer rub. And Thai smoked BBQ chicken with chili sauce takes your breath away.

So I don't do "best". Theres too many Bests out there.
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2008/12/12 21:50:11 (permalink)
    Again, WarToad nails the essence.
    Manotee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/05 12:22:52 (permalink)
    I admit I am spoiled. I have eaten Texas brisket BBQ at Red Bryan's and Sonny Bryan's in Dallas, and ribs at Carver's in Chicago. All were delicious. But I grew up eating east Tennessee BBQ and the Ridgewood Barbecue in Bluff City, Tennessee is still the standard all other BBQ is measured against. It is still the best. I have not visited it in a long time, but I plan to move to Asheville, NC late this year, and an occasional visit will be a lot easier.
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/05 12:43:16 (permalink)
    I would agree with WarToad. The sentiment expressed is not limited to BBQ either.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/21 01:57:03 (permalink)
    I'm always puzzled when someone says that one region's barbeque is "the best". How can that be possible? The answer is: it can't be. Comparing regional barbeque styles is like comparing sundaes and milkshakes; each is wonderful in it's own way, but one dairy treat is not "better" than the other. The same with barbeque styles - each is wonderful in it's own way, but no one style is "better" than another. I've had both styles of NC barbeque, eastern and Lexington, and I love them both, but neither style is better than the other. A few years ago I had the mutton at George's in Owensboro KY; I enjoyed it very much, but, again, it wasn't "better" than some other region's. Some years back, I had the brisket at Arthur Bryant's and it was wonderful ( I hear that's changed, though ), and the same thing applies. Every one of these styles, along with those in Memphis, East Tennessee and Texas, is unique and delicious, but none of them can be called "the best" ( at least IMHO. )
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4232
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/21 13:55:53 (permalink)
    nocarolinaI've had both styles of NC barbeque, eastern and Lexington, and I love them both, but neither style is better than the other.
    Only two styles of North Carolina Barbecue?  I thought there were at least three, and possibly more...

Buddy

Bogframe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/21 16:12:42 (permalink)
    If Barbecue means that the meat is smoked and cooked over a fire, there IS good Barbecue in NYC.  The best Memphis-style I've had outside of Memphis is at Virgil's on 44th Street off Broadway.
    Brother Jimmy's on 31st Street near Madison Square Garden comes a close second.  Both places do dry-rubbed ribs with the sauce on the side as G-d and nature inteded.
    JoseyWales
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/21 16:31:22 (permalink)
    nocarolina

I'm always puzzled when someone says that one region's barbeque is "the best". How can that be possible? The answer is: it can't be. Comparing regional barbeque styles is like comparing sundaes and milkshakes; each is wonderful in it's own way, but one dairy treat is not "better" than the other. The same with barbeque styles - each is wonderful in it's own way, but no one style is "better" than another. I've had both styles of NC barbeque, eastern and Lexington, and I love them both, but neither style is better than the other. A few years ago I had the mutton at George's in Owensboro KY; I enjoyed it very much, but, again, it wasn't "better" than some other region's. Some years back, I had the brisket at Arthur Bryant's and it was wonderful ( I hear that's changed, though ), and the same thing applies. Every one of these styles, along with those in Memphis, East Tennessee and Texas, is unique and delicious, but none of them can be called "the best" ( at least IMHO. )

Indeed you are correct. In travelling extensively, I find that each region has it's favorite style and that they may stand up to rigorous judging on their own merit as with each region there are surely "masters" of their craft for that particular style. I do not wish to say that any or all of them are best in the world as on any given day, they may hit their stride if albeit momentary and they may be the best of their region. Worldly matters are quite different. I am sure that each person that dines in an establishment that meets or exceeds their expectations may indeed call it the best in their view of the world and I do not qualify nor quantify their personal judgement. I surmise that if it makes your tongue happy and it is the best within reasonable travel distance at that time, it is the best within your world. I happen to like a little of most styles. I have had Memphis, Texas, North Carolina ( East and West), Kansas City, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and many others that fall in between these specific styles of BBQ. Some I would not hit the outhouse door with and others were quite tasty served with the regional sides. It takes quite a bit of effort to artist
    ically craft fine BBQ. It is not to be hurried, it takes patience, skill, knowledge of meats and the effect of different smokes on each meat, and then come the sides. I could write a book on this, however.........we are all entitled to our opinions and I thank the thread author for his/hers. In Memphis, Corky's is famous but left me disappointed while the Rum Boogie Cafe had excellent red beans and rice with sausage the day I ate there. Their ribs were over smoked to my tastes. The next day may have been quite different. 

post edited by JoseyWales - 2009/01/21 16:35:24
    doggydaddy
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/21 17:07:09 (permalink)
    Bogframe

If Barbecue means that the meat is smoked and cooked over a fire, there IS good Barbecue in NYC.  The best Memphis-style I've had outside of Memphis is at Virgil's on 44th Street off Broadway.
    Brother Jimmy's on 31st Street near Madison Square Garden comes a close second.  Both places do dry-rubbed ribs with the sauce on the side as G-d and nature inteded.

Can you recommend any independent bbq places?  I went to Brother Jimmy's-once.  Maybe it was a off day....

mark

GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/22 10:26:55 (permalink)
    Bogframe

I have been to Virigil's and I do agree, it is pretty good for up north BBQ.  As to the OP, he always states that Rochester has the best of everything, BBQ, pizza, etc... so take that with a grain of salt.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: Best BBQ in the world! 2009/01/23 22:58:03 (permalink)
    Buddy, you've got me rather confused. More than two styles of North Carolina barbeque? Have I missed something? I've been eating NC barbeque for years ( mostly Lexington style but I've had downeast/eastern style a few times ), and I've never heard of any other variations. I still haven't been to the coastal region; have I missed out on another style on the coast? Or maybe around Asheville or in the Smokies? Please fill me in - I'm really curious.
                                                                                     Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1