Best Buffalo Wings

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 11
Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/29 16:19:27 (permalink)
I have it on authority that BWW has changed their wing supplier, and now get larger wings. So, the "wings are too small" complaint should go away. As per the sauce, you either like em or hate em. I BWW to be a really good sports bar, even if the wings are small and they stray from serving just buffalo wings.

In DC, decent wings are hard to find. In Buffalo, some of the best wings come from pizza delivery places (the independent ones, not dominoes, obviously). This is not true in DC. So far, the pizza places have proven to be bad places for wings. A disappointment, since in WNY and CNY, wings and pizza are a happy marriage on Satudays and Sundays from Aug/Sept-Jan.

Why they can't do it right here, is beyond me. I guess people outside of Upstate NY don't really know what good wings are.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/30 13:03:22 (permalink)
Scorereader

I have it on authority that BWW has changed their wing supplier, and now get larger wings. So, the "wings are too small" complaint should go away. As per the sauce, you either like em or hate em. I BWW to be a really good sports bar, even if the wings are small and they stray from serving just buffalo wings.

In DC, decent wings are hard to find. In Buffalo, some of the best wings come from pizza delivery places (the independent ones, not dominoes, obviously). This is not true in DC. So far, the pizza places have proven to be bad places for wings. A disappointment, since in WNY and CNY, wings and pizza are a happy marriage on Satudays and Sundays from Aug/Sept-Jan.

Why they can't do it right here, is beyond me. I guess people outside of Upstate NY don't really know what good wings are.

One of the things I consistently see with wings outside WNY and CNY is that the wings are undercooked - not raw, but not done crisp enough to stand up to the sauce.  After a few minutes in the sauce they get , to use a highly technicall term, "ploopy".  Therefore, I usually ask for wings "well done" when I am outside W/CNY.

Also I usually have to ensure they are indeed true  buffalo wings, and not breaded (blech)

I was in WNY this past weekend and had some medium wings from The Landing (a bar in Fairport) that would have qualified as hot anywhere in Richmond ;)  And I didn't bother asking for them well done, since I knew they would be done right. 

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/30 17:26:08 (permalink)
actually, the wings from the pizza places here have little meat, that or they are deep fried so long, the meat shrivels up so only the skin and a few tendons remain. Then, they use some thin, watery hot sauce. Not a butter and Red Hot Sauce, just some cheapo hot sauce. it's foul fowl.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/31 00:24:38 (permalink)
My favorite wings come from BuffaLouie's, a Hoosier mini-chain with locations in three Indiana towns ( Bloomington, Highland and Valparaiso. ) Great onion rings too.
                                                         www.buffalouies.com  
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/31 00:44:05 (permalink)
nocarolina

My favorite wings come from BuffaLouie's, a Hoosier mini-chain with locations in three Indiana towns ( Bloomington, Highland and Valparaiso. ) Great onion rings too.
                                                         www.buffalouies.com  

this pic on the home page does not look like buffalo wings, at all. Scrolling over the pic, the pic is titled "BUFFWings5RGB" - if that's the buffalo wing, the recipe is not from buffalo - maybe it's a pic of the bbq wings.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/31 12:04:32 (permalink)
Scorereader, I just looked at that photo on BuffaLouie's home page, and your guess is correct; those are the barbeque wings. Louie's has a number of different sauces of various styles and heat levels. My favorite is the "medium buffalo style", which is a blazin' orange color... moderately hot and very tasty. The onion rings are big beauties coated with a really good batter ( might be a beer batter, not sure. )  
blinky193
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/07/31 12:42:14 (permalink)
I usually add minced garlic to my butter and hot sauce mixture........  simmer it a little while so the garlic has a chance to flavor the sauce.
rainyday6
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/01 11:45:21 (permalink)
There is a place in Old Sacramento, Fanny Ann's saloon, that sells a 5lb bucket of hot wings for about 17 bucks.  They are whole wings, not sectioned and not overcooked or overspiced.  I could pretty much live off those things.  
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/01 12:12:36 (permalink)
Writing about BuffaLouie's wings yesterday put me in a mood for some of their tasty wings n' rings, so last night I headed over to Louie's place in Highland IN for dinner.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/01 12:15:27 (permalink)
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/01 12:19:43 (permalink)
Here's my favorite wings, accompanied by some fine onion rings...
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/09 02:06:21 (permalink)
NascarDad

Scorereader

One of the things I consistently see with wings outside WNY and CNY is that the wings are undercooked - not raw, but not done crisp enough to stand up to the sauce.  After a few minutes in the sauce they get , to use a highly technicall term, "ploopy".  Therefore, I usually ask for wings "well done" when I am outside W/CNY.

Also I usually have to ensure they are indeed true  buffalo wings, and not breaded (blech)

I was in WNY this past weekend and had some medium wings from The Landing (a bar in Fairport) that would have qualified as hot anywhere in Richmond ;)  And I didn't bother asking for them well done, since I knew they would be done right. 

you'll never find a crisp, un-breaded hot wing anywhere in washington state... unless you're visiting my backyard :)

seriously, there are no good restaurant wings here.... most bake their wings but even then, they never bake them enough so you end up with soggy, slimy skin that the sauce doesn't stick to.. when i make them, i bake or fry them until they're almost crunchy :)
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/10 13:33:06 (permalink)
I get the feeling I'm the only person that likes wings more than drums. I really don't like them at all to be honest.

Also - Laughing Lion on Main St in Hackettstown NJ. 25 cent wings on Monday. They're really good.
pimple2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/11 13:50:12 (permalink)
I started to make a master list, state by state, of all the places mentioned, but soon got flummoxed. Would some kind soul or souls, smarter than I am, please consider TOFTT, say 1 WINGNUT per state making a master list for his/her state? I figure that someone familiar with the local scene would find it easier, and also would be more accurate. We could keep adding to it. I hope we could make such voluntary lists for hot dog & fried chicken too, some day. Thanks much.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/08/12 13:49:46 (permalink)
cameron074

I get the feeling I'm the only person that likes wings more than drums. I really don't like them at all to be honest.

Also - Laughing Lion on Main St in Hackettstown NJ. 25 cent wings on Monday. They're really good.

I, too, prefer the wings to the drums. Sweeter meat.
TwoJays
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/11/25 16:25:51 (permalink)
WingWatch

When I went to Buffalo last year on my wing trip, I preferred the Anchor Bar to Duff's, but there were things that both could learn from the other.

For instance, Duff's sauce was better but the wing itself was a little too large and somewhat soggy. The Anchor Bar wings were perfectly cooked and a good size but the sauce was lacking.

I just got back from a brief stay in Buffalo, and also tried Duff's and Anchor Bar. I mostly agree w/ WingWatch.

Duff's: Great sauce - thicker than most places, nice crispy wings (not soggy), very good heat on the Mediums we ordered, and a good sized wing too;
Anchor Bar: Wings were cooked perfectly, maybe a tad smaller than Duff's, but certainly not scrawny or anything; Sauce was thin and disappointing - we ordered Mediums and they were very much on the mild side of medium

Verdict: Duff's over Anchor Bar

EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/11/25 19:19:22 (permalink)
Very good to know.

Now did you use this technique?
http://www.roadfood.com/F...&high=buffalo+wing
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/23 10:39:44 (permalink)
FINALLY - some good looking wings. See today's restaurant o'the day. (Elmo's)
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/23 10:52:11 (permalink)
Of course, they are from the Buffalo area.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/23 11:15:12 (permalink)
mr chips

Of course, they are from the Buffalo area.

That's the stuff I grew up on. I'm now seriously jonesing for some hometown wings. 

I'll in the 'cuse in a few days, and Buffalo by New Year's Eve day. So, I'll have my opportunity.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/23 11:36:13 (permalink)
Culpeppers in St. Louis' West End district
Crispy wings with no batter with just the right consistancy of sauce and hotness.
bkk
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/23 14:56:37 (permalink)
let's be clear, if there was batter, it's not a buffalo wing. So, if we're talking about buffalo wings, there's no rhyme or reason to say "no batter."

Per the flavor, the balance is tang and heat, not just heat. When heat is the motivating factor, 9 times out of ten, it's the wrong sauce.

Sometimes, I'm amazed at that they'll call a buffalo wing in the mid-atlantic. And they should know better - there are enough upstaters and SUNY grads in the area.

lunarpollen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/24 00:42:54 (permalink)
rainyday6

There is a place in Old Sacramento, Fanny Ann's saloon, that sells a 5lb bucket of hot wings for about 17 bucks.  They are whole wings, not sectioned and not overcooked or overspiced.  I could pretty much live off those things.  

I am a new member to this website, I found it while doing Google searches for Sacramento Buffalo wings, so this is my first post here. I'd just like to vouch for the above post.  I am from NY originally, moved to CA a decade ago. My first experience with Buffalo wings was in the mid 1990's when a lady from upstate NY opened a place called Wing-It in Nyack, NY. I've also greatly enjoyed the wings at the Mountain Valley Brew Pub as mentioned in the original post in this thread.

When I first moved to CA, one of the things I missed was decent Buffalo wings. Here there are tons of places selling meager wingettes, sprinkled with hot pepper and a little weak red sauce of some kind, baked, and sold as "Buffalo wings."  But Fanny Ann's is the place to go if you want the real deal. Jumbo whole wings, deep fried, and proper sauce.  My only complaint is that occasionally I get an "off" batch that is either over or undercooked, or has a slightly different sauce, or is a bit low on sauce (too dry). But 95% of the time they are excellent. A 5 lb bucket comes with like 3 little containers of bleu cheese (or ranch if you prefer, bleh), but I ask them to substitute extra hot sauce for one of the bleu cheese containers, and then pour it over the chicken to ensure a proper coating.  It seems to be a proper Frank's/butter mixture.  And a bucket will totally stuff 2 people.  

I've also had decent, if not quite proper/whole, Buffalo wings at Chicago Fire (just smallish wingettes and drummettes, and a homemade sauce, but it's close), and at Hamburger Pattie's (formerly Hamburger Mary's) (plump wingettes and drummettes and a generous helping of proper sauce...it actually looks almost too gorgeous to eat)

Anyway, I'm glad that my love of Buffalo wings helped me to find and join this site. I am a big fan of the type of food this site is all about.   
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/24 08:43:27 (permalink)
Well welcome aboard lunarpollen, glad to have you here. Looks like you're in to some good eats ...and nice recommendation. Did you see the front page today...it's buffalo wings (too bad it's in Buffalo):
http://www.roadfood.com/R...ews/6902/gabriels-gate
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/24 10:46:24 (permalink)
welcome lunarpollen! Glad that chicken wings brought us together. This is a fun, jovial, opinionated, and insightful group of food lovers here at roadfood. I enjoy checking in every day or so to see what's going on in the world of roadfood.  
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5108
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/24 11:33:08 (permalink)
Welcome, lunarpollen. You're very lucky to be able to get really good wings so far from their "birthplace". Here in Dallas, (unless someone can tell me differently) the "Wingstop" chain is about all there is for us wing lovers.
lunarpollen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2009/12/26 22:12:53 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcomes! I really need to get some fresh oil for my deep fryer so I can start making my own wings again.  I haven't used the thing in a couple years.  It's one of these beasties: http://www.bedbathandbeyo...um=-1&SKU=14289313

Smart & Final carries the gallon jugs of Frank's sauce. And butter is ubiquitous.  

I'm really craving wings tonight but have found no one to go with. I can't eat a 5-lb bucket on my own.  
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2010/02/01 13:04:02 (permalink)
I still say the best wings in the DC area is at Cluck U.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2010/02/01 13:36:48 (permalink)
those look like bbq wings.

which cluck u?
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2010/02/01 13:57:33 (permalink)
Scorereader

those look like bbq wings.

which cluck u?

I've been to multiple Cluck U locations in the DC area and they're all good.  College Park MD  Cluck U or Forestville MD Cluck U.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1