Best Buffalo Wings

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 11 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
biggz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/09/16 02:41:19 (permalink)
Grew up in Rochester, lived in Buffalo 5 years. Just went back to Buffalo this weekend and had wings at DUFFS!

MAN ARE THEY TASTY! I sometimes ask for them to be cooked an extra minute, since I like mine slightly crispy. I think it helps them hold up to the sauce.

Another great place- Rooties Pump Room on Millersport.
I'm not a big fan of the Anchor Bar wings.
In Rochester, Pontillos aren't bad, but they are not anywhere near Duffs. Haven't found any great wings in Chicago yet...
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/10/11 01:05:23 (permalink)
I am no authority on chicken wings. I've not been to Buffalo in years. The best wings I have ever had were at the airport in Reading, PA, I forget the name of the restaurant, but they were excellent and had a variety of sauces to choose from hot to mild.

carl reitz
Liquorsuit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/10/24 15:50:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I have lived in the WNY area all my life and I will rate the top wing places to go in WNY:

1. Brennan's Bowery Bar-----Clarence, NY---Huge wings and excellent
2. Duff's-------------------Amherst, NY
3. Elmo's-------------------Getzville, NY--excellent cajun wings
4. Anchor Bar---------------Buffalo, NY

Nice to see Elmo's make your list. Anchor Bar is turning into a tourist trap and they are pricey. Duff's is certainly good. I would add The Buffalo Tap Room & Grill to the top 5 list.
http://www.buffalotaproom.com/
Huge wings. They also have BBQ charbroiled wings which are yummy. They're like eating candy. Great beer selection too.
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/10/24 17:32:29 (permalink)
One place that is good but is not often talked about is Archie Moores in New Haven. Plus if you go at happy hour and buy a beer the wings are free.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/10/24 19:05:43 (permalink)
I almost never get to Buffalo and I appreciate how far afield some restaurants can stray from the way they are supposed to be.

It is not surprising that nobody says the wings at Holiday Inn or Shoneys are the best.

Meanwhile, in Florida, especially around Daytona Beach, there are quite a few places that do the standard deep-fry-em, wash-em-around-in-the-sauce thing ... but the real specialty is they then put them on the grill and char-em over the open fire in the grill.

Maybe not authentic, but spectacular. I've turned many of the people I travel with on to these and now the first stop they all make is at The Brickyard on International Speedway Drive and/or The Oyster Pub closer to the beach. (Brickyard is by far the better.)

I'm with most everybody else ... the wings should be Buffalo-style (no honey, etc.) and they should be hot. Although the grilling will let you get away with slightly hotter than you'd normally order.

BTW: The Brickyard, in my opinion, makes the best burger in the USA too.

krissylove
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/11/20 20:41:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

Drovers Inn in Wellsburg, WV has the best buffalo wings i've had. Decent sized with a fantastic hot sauce. The way to eat them is to get them hot while drinking a cold beer in the dungeon underneath the building. Its a small bar area with about five to six tables and theres about 100 beer steins hanging on the ceiling.

Unfortunately, there isnt a very good website for Drovers (its also a bed and breakfast). The downstairs is never pictured as the upstairs (pictured) is for finer dining with good home cooked meals for guests.
http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/brk-cty/Drovers/tour.htm

Truly is a great place for wings though.

Drovers Inn, hands down, has the best wings I've EVER tasted. I think the size of the wing gets larger every time I go there. The secret recipe sauces are all mighty tasty, too. I've never been in the "dungeon" yet because...well...I'm only 20. But I'll be able to check it out soon haha.
Oh...and I totally dig the atmosphere of the place. A popular place with us college kids, most definitely. Make sure to call and make reservations though! Otherwise, you may have to wait a while or even go somewhere else!
Honorable mention>>Quaker Steak and Lube in PA...I've only been there twice but the wings were awesome...and SO many different varieties to choose from!
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/12/10 00:29:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by krissylove

quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

Drovers Inn in Wellsburg, WV has the best buffalo wings i've had. Decent sized with a fantastic hot sauce. The way to eat them is to get them hot while drinking a cold beer in the dungeon underneath the building. Its a small bar area with about five to six tables and theres about 100 beer steins hanging on the ceiling.

Unfortunately, there isnt a very good website for Drovers (its also a bed and breakfast). The downstairs is never pictured as the upstairs (pictured) is for finer dining with good home cooked meals for guests.
http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/brk-cty/Drovers/tour.htm

Truly is a great place for wings though.

Drovers Inn, hands down, has the best wings I've EVER tasted. I think the size of the wing gets larger every time I go there. The secret recipe sauces are all mighty tasty, too. I've never been in the "dungeon" yet because...well...I'm only 20. But I'll be able to check it out soon haha.
Oh...and I totally dig the atmosphere of the place. A popular place with us college kids, most definitely. Make sure to call and make reservations though! Otherwise, you may have to wait a while or even go somewhere else!
Honorable mention>>Quaker Steak and Lube in PA...I've only been there twice but the wings were awesome...and SO many different varieties to choose from!

They sound great. But, I'd submit that if we're talking about "varieties to choose from," we're probably not talking exclusively about Buffalo wings, which are served in a pretty specific way (along a spectrum of heat intensity.)
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/12/23 21:52:05 (permalink)
I am drooling! I have to agree, the best place is the original! I'm from Jamestown which is about 90 min south of Buffalo. Here, there are a couple places for good wings. I like my wings all ways... everything from godzilla hot to butter garlic. My two favorite places in Jamestown are The Saloon and The Cherry Lounge. The second has a great special of 2 dozen wings and a pitcher of beer for $7-something. I like mine saucy, with lots of bleu cheese or ranch dressing... can't forget the celery or carrot sticks too!
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/12/28 10:04:05 (permalink)
hmmm the best ones i've ever had have been the ones my first husband used to make..he'd pre bake them in the wok-- then dip them in his sauce (recipe off a bottle of "red hot" ) then grill them..and as he grilled them he'd rotate them in to the sauce--dip them and and baste them...and they were the best.. and seemed like every time we'd have them- we'd also have to make a run to DQ for some ice cream.. man do i miss those wings..........

now-- i'd have to say-- the best i've eaten since.. have been the ones that they have at Saylors Pizza in Dowagiac Michigan at the ice festival.. they are HOT HOT HOT.. and i think i've only actually eaten one.. my husband -- on the other hand-- ate many of them.. won the wing eating contest that they had last year.. hoping to do it again this year, breaking his last year record of 17 wings (they give you 3 minutes and it's as many as you can eat in that time..) and they are big and hot.......... :)
FoodDude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/01/15 12:48:33 (permalink)
I've tried the wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. They were all right, I guess. But I've found that the best wings were actualy north of Buffalo in Niagara Falls, NY where they seem to serve up jumbo, Schwartzenegger size wings. One such place was Frenchy's, the first place I ever tried authentic "Buffalo-style" wings. They were deep-fried and coated with that familiar hot sauce. I tried two bowls of fifteen. One had medium and the other hot sauce. Thirty of these monsters are definetly a meal unto themselves. Medium combines the perfect balance of heat and taste, while the hot sauce will definitely make you sweat buckets. Frenchy's is located just off the main downtown route of Niagara Falls, NY and is a family run family restaurant (no booze) that has a plain white and blue decorum. If you're starving for something while you wait, you can grab a pizza square. They're saucy and cheesy and will tied you over. Sammy's is a more popular, sports themed gathering place (booze) that is located near the baseball stadium and which also serves up some pretty good jumbo sized wings. Maybe they should call these jumbo sized portions "Niagara Falls Chicken Wings".
Awes
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/02/04 21:07:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Gumbo191

-In a suacepan melt 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup of Franks or Texas Pete hot sauce (stay away from Tabasco). Add tablespoon of white vinegar, shake of course grind black pepper and simmer.

Gumbo, You have it almost perfect! Except try this for yor sauce... Add tablespoon of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of malt vinegar! This will just about duplicate the bes wings I have ever tasted including Florida, Alabama, Texas, Canada, etc...

I am a big fan of Frankies Wings & Things in Florida... best I ever tasted. I ususally get their #4 with a side of 911. After I eat the first #4 I use the bone to paint the 911 sause on... dunno anyone that has ever finished more than a few 911s completely drinched.

Anyway, I have tried to duplicate the recipe and yours is very close... you will be amazed at the difference with malt vinager though! Let me kno how you like it:)
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/02/16 18:05:34 (permalink)
An earlier post mentioned Alligers in Sayre, PA, which amazes me because Sayre is such as small little town in the middle of nowhere (don't ask me what I was doing there)..but the wings are truly great...didn't know anyone else in the world knew about this place..

In Chicago however, just found something absoulutely amazing...not technically "Buffalo" style, but may be some of the best wings I've ever had. I'ts a Chinese/Korean hole in the wall on West Lawrence called Great Sea..read about it on the Chicago Reader website, where they raved about the wings. Boy, were they right. Again, it's not Buffalo sauce, but rather a sweet/spicy Asian sauce that is addicting (they sell the sauce at the counter as well). Even better is the quality of the chicken...it's only the drumlette parts...but they've somehow butterflied them, so that the meat is all bunched up at the end...actually look like little lamb chops..and, oh my, are they ever tender (and huge). Unfortunately I'm a little afraid for myself, as I can see me devouring way too many of these over the years...not exactly healthy to say the least, but whoa, just so tasty.
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/02/16 19:07:32 (permalink)
years ago,chinese restaurants(at least on Beacon St. in Boston) used to have wings on their menu's,they were 'naked' but had some sort of dry rub seasoning.....they were wonderful. I asked the guy who owns 'Ho-Ho's' in Tampa why they don't do likewise and he told me since the Buffalo wings became so popular,no one was interested in ordering wings when they went out for Chinese food.....this makes sense,now I have to find a way to loosen him up(nice guy-great food),as if running a busy restaurant wasn't enough.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/02/17 17:29:40 (permalink)
Has anyone heard of Wing Heaven? We had one open in town here, but yet to try them out... Their postcard has a web address, but it's not active (or registered for that matter)...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/02/17 17:43:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Awes

I am a big fan of Frankies Wings & Things in Florida... best I ever tasted. I ususally get their #4 with a side of 911. After I eat the first #4 I use the bone to paint the 911 sause on... dunno anyone that has ever finished more than a few 911s completely drinched.

Frankie's is one of my favorite haunts, too. They are on Wickham Rd in Melbourne, and not far off the interstate if anyone is driving by (there is also a location up by Port Canaveral, if you are in town for a cruise!). They are scaled 1 through 9. I am usually good for 4s when they are on! I prefer my wings to hot, but drier than most. I have a friend with whom we always stop at Frankies. He can polish off 7s, while building up a pretty goodly sweat. Usually he plops one of the 7s in with my 4s and I get to play "russian roulette". When I pick the winner, I can usually down the rest of my beverage on the spot.

Beware if you go there...the sauces are not evenly spaced in degree of hot from 1-9. One is mild, two is medium, three is medium hot, four is about as hot as most places serve on their regular menu. Five through nine are for the truly psychotic!

Steve
Jumbo HotDog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/09 23:25:01 (permalink)
Going to NIAGARA FALLS next month...I can't wait till I try Anchor Bar's wings...I'm in Bergen County NJ, anyone know of a nice place with tasty wings in NJ?
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/10 22:23:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo HotDog

Going to NIAGARA FALLS next month...I can't wait till I try Anchor Bar's wings...I'm in Bergen County NJ, anyone know of a nice place with tasty wings in NJ?

Have fun, but just make sure you don't look for the Anchor Bar in Niagara Falls...it's in Buffalo. Couldn't tell from your post if you knew that, so I wanted to make sure.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/10 22:54:46 (permalink)
The Anchor Bar is where everyone from out of town frequents for "Wings". Us local residents know all the best spots such as:
1. Brennan's Bowery Bar---Clarence, NY
2. Duff's-----------------Amherst, NY
3. Elmoes-----------------Getzville, NY

All three of the above put the Anchor Bar to shame. The Anchor bar utilizes very small wings and is living off of its reputation as the inventor of "Wings". Everyone here never refers to them as Buffalo Wings but simply as "WINGS". You know the out of towners when they ask for Buffalo Wings.
bone76
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/11 13:24:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

This is a cuisine I am passionate about, as much as cheesesteaks, or pizza. I have tried various venues around the northeast, where I live, and compiled a list of my favorite wings.

1. Anchor Bar, Buffalo NY.
2. Windsor Inn, Jermyn PA.
3. Brother Jimmy's Bait Shack 92nd & 3rd, Manhattan NY
4. Continental Tavern, Yardley PA
5. Robert's Place, Ventnor NJ
6. Golden Nugget Tavern, Berlin NJ
7. Murphy's, Hanover NH
8. Pub 199, Mt Arlington NJ
9. Vermont Pub & Brewery, Burlington VT
10. Mountain Valley Brew Pub, Suffern NY
bone76
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/11 13:27:26 (permalink)
How can Brother Jimmy's possible be in your top ten. That is tragic!! I have ate there many of time and each time I want to kick myself in the ass for ordering their wings. They are horrible.
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

This is a cuisine I am passionate about, as much as cheesesteaks, or pizza. I have tried various venues around the northeast, where I live, and compiled a list of my favorite wings.

1. Anchor Bar, Buffalo NY.
2. Windsor Inn, Jermyn PA.
3. Brother Jimmy's Bait Shack 92nd & 3rd, Manhattan NY
4. Continental Tavern, Yardley PA
5. Robert's Place, Ventnor NJ
6. Golden Nugget Tavern, Berlin NJ
7. Murphy's, Hanover NH
8. Pub 199, Mt Arlington NJ
9. Vermont Pub & Brewery, Burlington VT
10. Mountain Valley Brew Pub, Suffern NY
ChowKing
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/11 13:39:15 (permalink)
quote:

The Anchor Bar is where everyone from out of town frequents for "Wings". Us local residents know all the best spots such as:

All three of the above put the Anchor Bar to shame. The Anchor bar utilizes very small wings and is living off of its reputation as the inventor of "Wings". Everyone here never refers to them as Buffalo Wings but simply as "WINGS". You know the out of towners when they ask for Buffalo Wings.

do any of these 3 places is by niagara falls?
Solly93
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/11 13:47:40 (permalink)
Any suggestions for good wings in Raleigh, NC?? Blinco's is about the best I have found but I was wondering if there is somewhere else that I haven't discovered yet.
Jumbo HotDog
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/11 13:51:18 (permalink)
Spud, i know :)....but since we're going to niagara falls, we'll be in the area. buffalo ny.

anselmo, it may be because out of buffalo, there are all kinds of wings too :)
so if you're out of town and ask for "wings" you might be asked, BBQ, honey, teriyaki etc :D
wingaddict
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/12 11:54:01 (permalink)
quote:
An earlier post mentioned Alligers in Sayre, PA, which amazes me because Sayre is such as small little town in the middle of nowhere (don't ask me what I was doing there)..but the wings are truly great...didn't know anyone else in the world knew about this place..

As I grew up near Sayre it was the first place I had wings. I had heard about them for years. Yes it is quite a rural area, but it is very convient to visit if anyone is traveling on the NYS "Southern Tier Expressway"- AKA NYS RT-17 (now parts and hopefully the whole becoming Interstate 86).

Take the Waverly, NY exit (#61), head south (about 1/4 mile) into PA (PA RT 199) (past the "Grand Victorian" Best Western Hotel (formerly Guthrie Inn)), it is very easy to find- it will be on the right just before the right curve in the road.

It is DEFINIETLY worth the visit!

About 8 years ago I took a pilgrimage to the Anchor bar... (I really wish I had visited Duff's- haven't been there yet). To say the least, it just didn't live up to all the hype. I think the tourist "trap" thing must have really hurt the quality. I wish I could travel back in time to the late 60's to see them at the beginning.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/12 13:39:42 (permalink)
I don't know if anyone from Knoxville area will read this but I'm wondering about a little place called Spicey's that advertises excellent wings. I may just have to try it myself.
We have an expanding chain out of PA called Quaker Steak & Lube, and their wings were ok IMO, but I think there are better.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/12 16:25:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ChowKing

quote:

They're all a bit of a drive: 30-45 minutes, I'd say. I haven't lived in NF since the mid 80s, and the only one of those three places I know is Duff's. It's worth it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7896
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/12 16:28:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:
Originally posted by ChowKing

quote:

They're all a bit of a drive: 30-45 minutes, I'd say. I haven't lived in NF since the mid 80s, and the only one of those three places I know is Duff's. It's worth it.

Spudnut,

Duff's was my first introduction to Wings on a High School Band exchange concert back in 1982. I returned after a Buffalo Bisons Game in 2000 on Labor Day weekend and the wings were just as good.
Spicy Food Addict
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/03/31 08:47:33 (permalink)
Anyone else have horrible night sweats from spicy food? Took me 20 years to figure it out. Wake up drenched. Limits my intake.
beacupcake
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/04/01 10:43:08 (permalink)
If anyone's in the Phoenix, Arizona area, I HIGHLY recommend Long Wong's Burgers and Wings (they also sell hotdogs <obviously> and fries and other 'bar' food). There are a few throughout the Phoenix area and they're all locally run and real hole-in-the-walls. The burgers are greasy and yummy and the wings are excellent and meaty! The sauces range anywhere from Mild to Suicide...very tasty!
duckman
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/04/11 23:27:54 (permalink)
Greetings! We are traveling between NYC and Cape Cod this weekend- any recommendations for great wings along the way or on the Cape?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 11 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1