Best Buffalo Wings

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Author
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/04/12 00:04:03 (permalink)
My favorite where I live,

http://www.calypsorestaurant.com/appetizers.htm

Splat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/05/10 17:21:09 (permalink)
There's a place that's somewhat new in Clark, NJ, which is in Union County. Molly Maguire's on Central Ave. They've got the best wings I've had in a while. I love Buffalo wings and have had'em in many places. Molly's wings are bigger/meatier than most places. While they aren't super hot they have a great taste. They aren't the cheapest wings, but they aren't the most expensive I'd had either. I recommend them.
joreill21
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/06/07 18:44:11 (permalink)
Passing through the New Haven area? Try the Side Street Grill in Hamden - http://www.sidestreetgrille.com/ - GREAT wings!
If you like them hot, order the "screamin' demon" wings - they'll probably make you sign a release first, though - they ARE hot, but GOOD...
jraphs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/07/10 12:07:56 (permalink)
In NYC:
Brother Jimmy's (east or west side) definitely has winning wings - flavorful and spicy in a sauce that is smooth and memorable.
Blondie's (79th/Amsterdam) is also really good - all you can eat on Monday nights for about $10.
Outside NYC, I'm a big fan of the Quaker Steak & Lube, a small chain focused mostly around OH & PA. Lots of wing choices, plenty of other fun options. The kind of chain/theme restaurant a road-foodie could enjoy without feeling like a sellout.

But if you want the best wings recipe ever....
cholula.com
These babies are unstoppable, mainly because the Cholula sauce blends so well with butter.
kelehr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/07/13 23:49:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Montecarlolsus

Anyone ever try Buffalo Wild Wings?

The sauces were OK & the beer was cold but the small wings along with the overwelming "portion control" & paper trays was terrible. Great atmosphere & staff very friendly.
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/07/20 18:50:15 (permalink)
Just had a short trip back east to Albany and had the absolute privilege of eating the hot style buffalo wings at My Place & Co. I found out later that there are more than one of these establishments in the area. The meat was tender and flavorful, there was a crunch to the skin, but not the over-crunch of a deep fried chicken wing...but I give the most credit to the sauce: tangy with a hint of roasted pepper. Oh and the bleu cheese dressing was stellar. Two messy thumbs up!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/07/24 16:24:56 (permalink)
Wild Wings Cafe in downton Charleston , SC (part of a chain)

for $14.95 , I had the sampler platter (5 kinds of wings, 25 in all)

delicious ! I was in wing heaven !

ellen in NJ
MicahHibler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/07/28 20:56:40 (permalink)
Am I missing something? Did I miss the post? I have yet to see anyone mention Quaker Steak on this website. They have my favorite wings, and I think most of their locations have an all you can eat wing buffet on Tuesday nights. You should check them out if they are in your local areas. www.quakersteak.com
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/11 16:04:27 (permalink)
I think, when you grow up outside of upstate/western NY you don't really know what a real Buffalo wing is until you go there and have one. And even then, you're likely not to fully grasp the buffalo wing.

Much like NYC metro area is saturated with any number of great Pizza places making that area arguably the best region for Pizza (not deep dish...don't worry Chicago, you're still good), Western/Central NY is the best region for wings and host numerous places to get a great wing (or dozen). The people who live in that region can tell you about the subtle differences from one wing joint compared to the one down the street. Most outsiders cannot tell the difference and hence do not have the distiguishing palate to tell the difference from one wing joint from another or a really great wing from a decent wing. And, that's ok.

It is possible there are good places to get wings outside of that area, much like there are great places to get pizza outside of NYC. But pound for pound (and wing for wing) upstate/western NY has the best wings at a long list of places. The Anchor Bar may be the original, but there are dozens and dozens of places to get great wings in many of the small towns and larger cities that dot the highways and byways of the Region. Any one who only names that one establishment in the region in a list of "best" wings, has not likely been to any other wing joint in Western, NY.

I can tell you of a great place for wings in Greensboro, or DC/NoVa/MD, or Greenville, NC or Virginia Beach, or Pittsburgh and the like, but it's not like home. None of them. They're good, and I eat wings outside of Western, NY, but its just not the same.

And I won't argue about who has the "best" wings. That's very subjective and slanted on where you are from and what your taste buds are conditioned to enjoy. But "authentic" is very argueable and you have to go to Western, NY. I wouldn't tell you the choicest steakhouse is in Buffalo any more than tell you that the choicest seafood is in Oklahoma. So, I won't agree with anyone who says the "best" buffalo wings are in NOT in Western, NY.

I mean, really...would you believe me if I said the best Philly cheese steak is in Columbus, OH?

AtHomeGourmet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/12 15:38:20 (permalink)
Like everyone else I love chicken wings as well. I think my method for cooking them is much like Barbara's.

As an alternative I decided to substitute shrimp for the chicken but still incorporate some of the chicken wings flavor. Here is a recipe that I came up with. I wrote it for baking but I also do them on the grill. Very simple as you can see.

Bacon Wrapped Jumbo Buffalo Shrimp

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 6 Servings

2 lbs peeled and devined, jumbo shrimp
10-12 slices of bacon
1/2 C hot sauce

blue cheese dressing
celery
toothpicks

Bake the bacon till half cooked. Roughly 400 degrees for 7 minutes. Remove and let cool. Save pan with bacon drippings.

Slice bacon strips in to thirds then wrap them around shrimp. Secure with toothpicks. Place the wrapped shrimp to the pan and bake until shrimp is done and bacon is crispy, about 6-7 minutes. Place shrimp in a bowl and toss with slightly warmed hot sauce.

Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks
marxbro
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/12 16:24:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to eat a chicken wing. I tried a chicken wing once at Buffalo's Anchor Bar. I liked the spiciness, but that was it.

The wing is the best part of the chicken. You get the white and dark meat all in one plus tons of skin. What more do you want in life? I also love eating the wing tips - they are crunchy with lots of taste and uh... more skin.
slackademic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/15 13:45:29 (permalink)
I haven't been to Buffalo to try those places, but the best I've had are at Buffalo Joe's near Northwestern's campus in Evanston. Great stuff.
johns72604
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/15 15:37:44 (permalink)
the best wings in my opinion in the Washington , DC/Northern Virginia area are at The Buffalo Wing Factory. They are a local chain, having probably five restaurants in the area. Really big and good. I am from NYC but lived upstate for four years, so i have obvioulsy had better, but they are really good for the area. As for the Abany area, I think that Peabodies in Saratoga Springs, NY take the cake.
duckman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/20 21:25:05 (permalink)
I would like to offer all my fellow wing fanatics an insiders guide to wings in the Pocono's - NE PA.

Hotel Jonas, Thursday 25 cent Wings
Kellys, Scranton Wednesday Nite Wing Special
Front Row Downtown Stroudsburg Monday Nite Wing Nite
Pocono Pub, Stroudsburg, Wednesday Nite Wing Special

And the annual Wing Off is every year in late August! Anybody going to the wing festival in Buffalo this year?
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/22 15:48:45 (permalink)
Johns72604:

Thanks for the nugget. I'll give the Buffalo Wing Factory a try!

r0dkn0cker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/27 03:35:46 (permalink)
See you in Buffalo next weekend.
squints
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/08/30 17:04:36 (permalink)

You extra-large wing freaks are out of your minds. When properly prepared, smaller wings are far superior. See if you can follow me here...giant wings have all this tasteless meat left over after you have eaten the part with the sauce on it. If this is so wonderful, why don't you just order boiled chicken breasts and dip that in bleu cheese? Smaller wings allow the sauce to penetrate the meat and the flavor to reach through to the bone.

The Beechmont Tavern in New Rochelle, NY is closing soon. I am travelling cross-country from LA next month for one last shot at the best wings in the world. They are small, broiled, and perfect. You can rave all you like about your catcher's mitt sized wings, but Beechmont wings will still be the best. 25 cent wing Mondays will live on...
scarletdragon
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/09/06 13:32:47 (permalink)
I'm a huge buffalo wing fan, sadly the ones I had in Buffalo, NY were pretty terrible, very fatty and greasy without a lot of flavor.

I live in Chicago now, and the Goose Island Brewery here has excellent wings, the hot ones make me tear up instantly. They have glld flavor too, without sacrificing the hotness.

Also, I've heard that there is a place somewhere (like a little roadside hole in the wall) that has a five wing plate that's free if you can finish it. Anyone else heard of this place? I can't seem to track it down.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/09/06 14:22:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scarletdragon

I'm a huge buffalo wing fan, sadly the ones I had in Buffalo, NY were pretty terrible, very fatty and greasy without a lot of flavor.

I live in Chicago now, and the Goose Island Brewery here has excellent wings, the hot ones make me tear up instantly. They have glld flavor too, without sacrificing the hotness.

Also, I've heard that there is a place somewhere (like a little roadside hole in the wall) that has a five wing plate that's free if you can finish it. Anyone else heard of this place? I can't seem to track it down.

You must have had bad luck, because you can get great wings on pretty much any block in Buffalo.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/09/06 14:42:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MicahHibler

Am I missing something? Did I miss the post? I have yet to see anyone mention Quaker Steak on this website. They have my favorite wings, and I think most of their locations have an all you can eat wing buffet on Tuesday nights. You should check them out if they are in your local areas. www.quakersteak.com

Do you mean besides the guy four posts up from yours?

Western NY wings are far superior to what one would generally find elsewhere. If there is one wing place in your neighborhood that does better than average wings, you are in good shape, but the greater Buffalo area has many places with above average wings.

For the one poster who said that the wings that they got in Buffalo were not good -- you weren't in the right place!

Locally, here in Melbourne, Fl, check out Frankie's Wings and Things on Wickham Rd. -- they also have another location up by Port Canaveral, if you are sailing into the Port for a cruise, this is an easy add-on -- and will keep you out of the Disney add-on!

Steve
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/09/06 23:47:07 (permalink)
If you cook the wing correctly, then the meatier chicken wings taste the best.
Those wings with hardly any meat on the bones (which are basically deep fried chicken wing skin) are crap.

AtHomeGourmet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/09/07 10:12:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

If you cook the wing correctly, then the meatier chicken wings taste the best.

Personally I agree, I like the meatier ones more myself. Having said that I think it's an indivual taste issue. Everyone has different taste in the size of the wings and/or the sauce.

It's impossible to say one place has THE best wings but it sure does make for good conversation!
duffsisart
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/09/08 11:41:54 (permalink)
To all those who say Duffs is the best THANK YOU from the future owner and son of the current owner. Without you there would be no Duffs.
UBAlum
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/11/21 20:30:48 (permalink)
While I wasn't born in Buffalo I am a UB alum (Class of '86).
I never liked the term "Buffalo Wing" either because we always just called them "Wings" or "Chicken Wings". Like in China they call Chinese food "food". It was fun when you really couldn't get them anyplace else. We would make a quick stop at Duff's before going to the airport so friends in the NYC area could have a special treat.

Like wine, wings have a high number of flavor notes. Only with experience can you truly tell the subtelties among different types.

Must be served with carrot sticks in addition to celery and bleu cheese.

Favorite places in Buffalo - Duff's, Rooties.

Discovered Archie Moore's in New Haven when I moved to CT. By the way they have had a place in Fairfield for several years now.
Wembly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/12/06 14:01:56 (permalink)
there is this really small place outside of Wheeling WV called Drovers that has the best wings i have ever seen. They only sell wing and chili fries. My friend loves hots sauce and puts Daves insanity sauce on everything, so i took him there and made him try the Kill Me flavor and he said it was the hottest sauce he has ever tried. They have this nice little bar in the basement where you can have some amazing wings and drink some good beer.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/12/08 09:06:29 (permalink)
The mantra, "the hotter the wing the better the taste," is not a chicken wing mantra in Buffalo.

Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 512
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/12/13 16:55:58 (permalink)
I like em all. The skinny ones, the meaty ones, the breaded ones,
Hooters, KFC....love em all. Buffalo wings are one thing, chicken wings are another. No need to apply rules and fight about what the true title should be. We make our own traditions while enjoying the old ones!
Doreen
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/12/31 14:13:24 (permalink)
Famous Dave's BBQ. A 10 on any scale.The wings are delicious. The sauce is like no other and the bleu cheese dressing is to die for. It complements the wings PERFECTLY!The sides are screamin' and they don't skimp on the servings. This place is a favorite in my book.
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2005/12/31 18:31:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AtHomeGourmet

It's impossible to say one place has THE best wings but it sure does make for good conversation!

Indeed it does!

~Jessica
Sothy
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/01/08 04:08:13 (permalink)
I use to live in Portland, ME and every weekend I would stop by a place called Buffalo Wing's and Things. I just have to say they made one of the best buffalo wings I tasted. Ever since I moved to California I've tried every buffalo wings at every place that offered it and none came close to Buffalo Wing's and things. Anyways, I read this post and 99.9% of the places that's mention are on the East Coast. Anyone, got a place in the West Coast say San Jose, California they could recommend?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1