Best Buffalo Wings

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
ThrashATL
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/07/23 12:56:26 (permalink)
If you get to Atlanta and want wings, the best place in town (there are several locations too) is Three Dollar Cafe. I've had wings in 100 cities and nobody tops these monsters. Big meaty pieces, incredible one of a kind flavor and homemade CHUNKY yet creamy bleu cheese dip, which no other restaurant in the US can touch.
ctrueder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/07/23 14:14:19 (permalink)
Okay, I'm an old, retired professor . . . but my heart's still beating! (YEP, eat your heart out ya' young yuppies!)

So, I LOVE to go to HOOTERS once in a while to get a burger or an order of wings.

BUT, like the old codger founder of Hooters who (happily, OR unhappily, for all I know) just "gave up the ghost" a few days ago, I don't go there for "the food"! Their burgers AND their wings SUCK (no pun intended . . . HeeHee)

I GO THERE for theambience!

That said, if you want REALLY GOOD wings, you simply gotta go to Anchor Bar . . . . or BETTER YET . . . make your own at home.

Have a good day

doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/07/23 16:30:06 (permalink)

I was taking care of my 95 y.o. granny for some time recently. She was living alone on six acres of property in a large house. The whole family knew that she needed help and supervision and I was in a position to do so. I have lived all my life in apartments, so the house and all that property appealed to me.
The fact is, she was not eating the food delivered by Meals on Wheels and would have bags of uneaten sandwiches and food in the fridge. Part of the problem was that she had hardly any teeth to eat anything with. After much deliberation with the family, we decided that it would be good for me to be around the place as the she needed help, the property needed maintenance inside and out, and yes, I would be able to cook meals for her that I -knew- she could eat.

But granny was a tough old bird and not an easy one to please. She never needed a garbage disposal in the past and even after I started to cook for her she didn't need one. She would chew on the food and spit it back to my dogs. My dogs loved granny and knew exactly where to sit.

Well I got tired of making soft meals for both of us and one night made hot wings for myself. As I sat at the table she asked what they were and I told her that they were too hot and difficult to eat. She wanted some anyway, so I gave her some. Now these were spicy, made with Crystal hot sauce, and she sucked them down without blinking an eye. The dogs went hungry!!! After that, wings were part of my menu planning.

Granny finally sold her property and moved to California, where she lived with my parents until early this year as she finally passed away. I did my part and to me the whole thing was as I planned it to be, an education about getting older. I think that I'll try to have more fun in life than she did.
But one thing I learned was I made the best hot wings around, because she liked them...

mark
Skeezix
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/07/29 23:12:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ThrashATL

If you get to Atlanta and want wings, the best place in town (there are several locations too) is Three Dollar Cafe. I've had wings in 100 cities and nobody tops these monsters. Big meaty pieces, incredible one of a kind flavor and homemade CHUNKY yet creamy bleu cheese dip, which no other restaurant in the US can touch.

You need to get out more. LOL

I'm just kidding. Three Dollar Cafe wings are very good, but there are definitely some much better places in Western NY. But yeah, they're good down there.
Skeezix
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/07/29 23:16:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ctrueder

Okay, I'm an old, retired professor . . . but my heart's still beating! (YEP, eat your heart out ya' young yuppies!)

So, I LOVE to go to HOOTERS once in a while to get a burger or an order of wings.

BUT, like the old codger founder of Hooters who (happily, OR unhappily, for all I know) just "gave up the ghost" a few days ago, I don't go there for "the food"! Their burgers AND their wings SUCK (no pun intended . . . HeeHee)

I GO THERE for the ambience!

That said, if you want REALLY GOOD wings, you simply gotta go to Anchor Bar . . . . or BETTER YET . . . make your own at home.

Have a good day

The Anchor Bar is absolutely nothing special. It's just like every city that has an "original" for something. Just like Pat's for cheesesteaks in Philly, they're not the best by a long shot. Just the best marketed and the "original." Anchor Bar are average wings.

If you want much better wings in Buffalo go to The Bar Bill in East Aurora on the traffic circle, to Duff's, or to Brennan's, although I haven't been to Brennan's in a while. Rochester has some outstanding wing places too equal if not better.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/08/01 15:12:25 (permalink)
There is only one place in Pittsburgh that I can really recommend the wings and it is Wings, Suds & Spuds. It is located on University Blvd. near Robert Morris U. and the old Pittsburgh airport. The wings are big and meaty, never undercooked and always come with lots of sauce. I like the curly fries, too. A couple drawbacks are that there is always a line and the parking at times can be limited.
lizardwing
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/08/10 22:07:28 (permalink)
If you are ever in Manchester Tennessee then try FREDDIES Chicken WIngs at FREDDIES Oyster Bar on hiway 55 towards Tullahoma. It is an ORANGE and WHITE A-Frame building .

Best Wings around tha tparts.
Laumas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/09/09 14:38:42 (permalink)
I am from Buffalo and have been eating wings for over 25 years all over the region. I also travel alot for my job and have tried them all over the country.

In my opinion, the best wings are the traditional wings, with the simple ingredients consisting of Frank's Hot Sauce and Butter.

People differ here as to whether they like them moist and saucy or dry and crispy. Duff's is the saucey kind, most others, including Anchor Bar and Barbill, tend to be the dry crispy type. I am firmly in the crispy-dry camp.

There is definately one important secret of good "traditional"wings, however. You have to make them at home, or eat them where you order them.

For some reason, once you package them and take them home, the crispness is compromised and the experience is lost. I have yet to find any take-out (or even my favorite places that let you take them out), that hold a candle to the experience of a steaming plate of hot wings, just dumped on the plate from being shaken in the sauce. Pick one up, dip it in the chunky blue cheese dressing (OOOOOOOO Heaven)
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/09/09 17:25:37 (permalink)
While googling around, trying to find the name of a place that I stopped at last year while going cross country, I found this article.
http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/buffwing.htm
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/09/09 17:41:38 (permalink)
I found it..
Frickers..It was in Maumee, Ohio (Toledo)..
(On my way to Cleveland, and the RNR Hall of Fame)
Didnt care for them at all.....
I tried 2 types..6 Teriyaki, and 6 garlic.
The service was lousy as all get out.. That much I remember besides the crappy wings.
Maybe it was an off night.
The place was busy as hell.
It took forever to get them, and then the bartender totally ignored me..I had to stand up to ask for my bill, and a go box.
Paid the bill, and went down the street to Outback.
Threw them away after I got back to the motel..
I was gonna give them another try--sorry I did.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/09/11 15:43:20 (permalink)
They just opened up the new Boomer Jack Wings in the Olypmia Forum in Live Oak.We have a menu here from them at work,but i don't think anyone has tried them at all yet.
We also have Wing Stop here as well,and Buffalo Wild Wings too.Will have to try these places some time.
Think I may try my hand at making my own wings.Can't be too hard.
Big Sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/09/11 16:18:03 (permalink)
Not one mention of Hooters ?
Skeezix
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/05 20:57:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HollyDolly

They just opened up the new Boomer Jack Wings in the Olypmia Forum in Live Oak.We have a menu here from them at work,but i don't think anyone has tried them at all yet.
We also have Wing Stop here as well,and Buffalo Wild Wings too.Will have to try these places some time.
Think I may try my hand at making my own wings.Can't be too hard.

Making your own wings is a snap. Just grab a deep fryer. Someone recommended a Presto Kitchen Kettle to me. Great fryer for around twenty bucks at Walmart. Grab a gallon of vegetable oil from there too.

Get your wings from the supermarket fresh poultry section. Cut them into pieces yourself if they are not already segmented.

Deep fry them at 400 degrees in the fryer until they float or are as crispy as you like them.

Take 'em out and sauce 'em up. The key is the sauce. You can make your own with Frank's/Red Hot and butter. Use real butter. You can also add spices if you like to suit to taste.

Otherwise buy a good wing sauce. My favorite is called Wy's Wings. I found them at the Wing Festival up in Buffalo. They don't seem to have been back in recent seasons though. But you can order online. If you send them a note they'll get back to you if you have any questions. They are where I got the Kitchen kettle fryer idea from. I think they have the information on their site too for how to cook wings.

There are some other good wing sauces out there but those are the ones that mimic authentic Buffalo wings the most. It's definitely kicked up a notch.

I've tried just about every wing sauce that I've found. The key is to look at the bottle and ingredients and see what's in it. If it's just cayenne peppers, vinegar, garlic and other basic stuff it's more than likely just a basic sauce. Most of those on the market are some essential version of that. None of those are very good and you're better just making your own with Red Hot, butter, and spices.

Hooter's sauce isn't very good. Their wings are OK but not great. I'm not sure most people go to Hooters for the food first anyway.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8699
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/05 20:58:44 (permalink)
Hooters wings are NOT good-if you go by true hot wing standards...
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/06 11:52:39 (permalink)
true Buffalo wing standard: Franks Red Hot Sauce, Butter, Tobasco (optional - generally for extra heat only).
That's it. Nothing else. Once you get involved in any other flavors, you've gone from Buffalo Wing to Chicken Wing.

Dearhawke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/18 15:57:23 (permalink)
I read mention of Wings to go Homicide hot sauce. I would sure like to know the recipe for that or something like it. Does anyone have a wing sauce that is "very" spicy? You know it is spicy enough when you get to that tenth wing and you try to eat it without touching your lips!!!
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/18 20:44:16 (permalink)
Colonial Inn Rome N.Y. large wings, fried right, sauce is delicious.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/26 23:53:10 (permalink)
Anyone try Planet Wings,noticed a few in Nanuet,Nyack and Spring Valley Ny. Lots of different flavors,I tried the special of ten buffalo wings,curly fries and a drink for $7.00,thought it was pretty
good,also tried the Cajun flavor wings,I thought they had a better flavor than the buffalo.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/27 09:32:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dearhawke

I read mention of Wings to go Homicide hot sauce. I would sure like to know the recipe for that or something like it. Does anyone have a wing sauce that is "very" spicy? You know it is spicy enough when you get to that tenth wing and you try to eat it without touching your lips!!!

just use my above recipe and add a ridiculously hot pepper sauce or oil. At least then the flavor will be good -even if it's too hot to eat.
Dearhawke
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/27 14:56:49 (permalink)
I just mentioned Hooter's Hot Wing Sauce as an example. Actually I would like Wings to Go Homicide Sauce recipe. I love wings and the hotter the better. I can't seem to find any recipes that I have tried to make that are any good. Any real good very hot wing recipes out there? I am not the kind of guy who puts Texas Pete sauce on a chicken wing and thinks that is good eats.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/27 16:07:32 (permalink)
for 4lbs and up to 5 lbs: put thawed dry wings in the oven (flat in one layer, not piled on top of eachother) at 425 degrees.
On stove top, 12oz Franks Red Hot sauce, 1 stick butter, 1oz tobasco. (this will make typical hot wings. For medium use 1/2 oz, for Let butter melt slowly in on low. whisk as needed one the butter is completely melted.

when wings are cooked 60%, flip them, get rid of the chicken fat and put 'em back in the oven.
When wings are cooked 80-85%, put them in a bowl and pour 1/2 sauce over them. Let the sauce get mixed over the wings pretty good.
Pour chicken wings and sauce back into whatever you were cooking the wings in and make sure they are in one layer.
Broil both sides of wings.
While they are broiling, wash out the bowl and then put the other 1/2 of the sauce in the bowl.
once one side is crisp in the broiler, flip them over and crisp the other side. (this should only take a few minutes per side.)

Take out the wings pour them in the bowl along with the sauce and let them get resoaked in the sauce and them let them cool a bit.
Serve with celery and blue cheese.

this is my method. It takes a few times to get it right.
TwoJays
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/28 00:42:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

for 4lbs and up to 5 lbs: put thawed dry wings in the oven (flat in one layer, not piled on top of eachother) at 425 degrees.
On stove top, 12oz Franks Red Hot sauce, 1 stick butter, 1oz tobasco. (this will make typical hot wings. For medium use 1/2 oz, for Let butter melt slowly in on low. whisk as needed one the butter is completely melted.

when wings are cooked 60%, flip them, get rid of the chicken fat and put 'em back in the oven.
When wings are cooked 80-85%, put them in a bowl and pour 1/2 sauce over them. Let the sauce get mixed over the wings pretty good.
Pour chicken wings and sauce back into whatever you were cooking the wings in and make sure they are in one layer.
While they are broiling, wash out the bowl and then put the other 1/2 of the sauce in the bowl.
once one side is crisp in the broiler, flip them over and crisp the other side. (this should only take a few minutes per side.)

Take out the wings pour them in the bowl along with the sauce and let them get resoaked in the sauce and them let them cool a bit.

Sounds easy enough & tasty enough, with one small question - how the heck does the average cook know when a chicken wing is 60% or 80-85% cooked? Rather than %'s, can you throw-out some rough times instead?

Thanks,
John
(hosting poker night w/ the boys next weekend and can't decide if I'm making wings or my Buffalo Chicken Dip)
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/29 18:34:27 (permalink)
quote:

I've always grilled my wings, but today I decided to try your method. The only difference was Crystal instead of Frank's. I'm happy to report that the wings were VERY well received and all 5 pounds disappeared in a surprisingly short time. I do believe it's easier to tend each individual wing part on a grill, but when it's more convenient to cook indoors (like today) your way is most satisfactory.

Oh yeah, I did also add about 3 Tbsp. of the Tryme Tiger Sauce. It's become my kinda-sorta "secret" ingredient. Thanks for the recipe. pb
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/30 10:43:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TwoJays

quote:

Sounds easy enough & tasty enough, with one small question - how the heck does the average cook know when a chicken wing is 60% or 80-85% cooked? Rather than %'s, can you throw-out some rough times instead?

Thanks,
John
(hosting poker night w/ the boys next weekend and can't decide if I'm making wings or my Buffalo Chicken Dip)

not really. Wings vary in size, therefore cooking time changes. Plus I'm currently using a gas stove and the cooking times is different than my old electric. And I'm cooking at nearly sea-level, which also changes cooking times. And, it depends on if you are doing 4lbs with the recipe, or 5lbs. But if I had to guess: 30 minutes is 60%. flip em at 30 mins, give 'em 20 more mins then add sauce, crisp them (which you can do by broiling or turning heat up to 500) in either case, you can't walk away at this point because the wings are actually done cooking and you're simply giving them a little crispness at this point, you've got to keep an eye on them. in general, you can error on the long side if you're not sure.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/30 10:48:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

I've always grilled my wings, but today I decided to try your method. The only difference was Crystal instead of Frank's. I'm happy to report that the wings were VERY well received and all 5 pounds disappeared in a surprisingly short time. I do believe it's easier to tend each individual wing part on a grill, but when it's more convenient to cook indoors (like today) your way is most satisfactory.

Oh yeah, I did also add about 3 Tbsp. of the Tryme Tiger Sauce. It's become my kinda-sorta "secret" ingredient. Thanks for the recipe. pb

Your success makes me happy
I'm glad your guests enjoyed them.
I, too, made a batch this weekend and found myself with no leftovers. IMO, this is the best time of the year to serve up buffalo wings.

Dearhawke
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/30 11:24:20 (permalink)
The question still stands. How to make them really really hot and still taste good. The answer is not use Franks hot sauce and put your favorite hot sauce to taste. My question is specificately what additional hot sauce that also tastes good? I am not good at experimenting and besides, the wheel does not need to be reinvented. There are some good recipes out there, I just have to find them. I wonder what some of the wing places use. By the way, Frank's makes their standard hot sauce and also a buffalo wing sauce. It looks like the buffalo sauce may already have the butter in it but other than that very similar ingredients.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/10/31 08:31:10 (permalink)
quote:

The question still stands. How to make them really really hot and still taste good. The answer is not use Franks hot sauce and put your favorite hot sauce to taste. My question is specificately what additional hot sauce that also tastes good? I am not good at experimenting and besides, the wheel does not need to be reinvented. There are some good recipes out there, I just have to find them. I wonder what some of the wing places use. By the way, Frank's makes their standard hot sauce and also a buffalo wing sauce. It looks like the buffalo sauce may already have the butter in it but other than that very similar ingredients.

dude, I'm sorry you're not finding our tips helpful. Apparently the answer IS use Franks sauce and add in your favorite heat. If you're not sure, here's a nice guide. 12oz bottle of Franks, 1 stick butter and 1 oz tobasco sauce will made med to hot wings. Adding more tobasco will add more heat and it will not detract from the tang. You can go as high as 2oz. The tobasco adds heat without really interupting Frank's tang until you go over the 2o threshold. It's as close to real Buffalo wings as you can get without visiting the Anchor Bar.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/11/04 17:46:20 (permalink)
Well if you want really hot wings,if you find some dried habanero peppers or habanero pepper flakes add to your favorite sauce and the
heat will be intense, if you just want a moderate heat,crush some dried red pepper and cayenne pepper and add to the sauce a little at a time until you find the flavor is right.
WingWatch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/11 15:16:16 (permalink)
Someone mentioned the Wild Wing Cafe in the Reading Airport (Reading, PA) a few posts back. In the 90s, they were really incredible but soon everyone and their mom started going there and the quality diminished rapidly.

Now, the place to go for wings in Reading is the Peanut Bar. They are the best wings I have ever had... If you are ever near Reading, you should stop in there...

That being said, me and a friend are taking a wing journey to Buffalo this weekend (and also checking out the BILL and FINS on Sunday). After researching the comments here and on other sites, I've developed a list of places to go in the order I feel they have received attention:
1. Duff's
2. Anchor Bar
3. Rooties (may be closed now?)
4. Gabriel's Gate
5. La Nova
6. Bar Bill

Does this seem right?
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/11 15:58:45 (permalink)
quote:

I found that rubbing cayenne into the wings and refridgerating overnight adds a bit more heat.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1