Best Buffalo Wings

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Author
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/18 13:28:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dearhawke

The question still stands. How to make them really really hot and still taste good. The answer is not use Franks hot sauce and put your favorite hot sauce to taste. My question is specificately what additional hot sauce that also tastes good? I am not good at experimenting and besides, the wheel does not need to be reinvented. There are some good recipes out there, I just have to find them. I wonder what some of the wing places use. By the way, Frank's makes their standard hot sauce and also a buffalo wing sauce. It looks like the buffalo sauce may already have the butter in it but other than that very similar ingredients.

A link to lots of recipes:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blpoul38.htm

Cathy

DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/18 15:40:29 (permalink)
As for cooking them, TURKEY FRYER ONLY!!!
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/18 16:00:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DEFCON Creator

As for cooking them, TURKEY FRYER ONLY!!!

Says who? -pb
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 08:10:40 (permalink)
Me. Considering the following we've created in the past 2 years with our public events at many restaurants/bars in the tri-state area, and the numerous national awards we've collected, perhaps my insight is correct and well-founded. To each his own.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 09:45:30 (permalink)
quote:

yadda,yadda,yadda..... "To each his own."

That's much better. -pb
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 09:50:46 (permalink)
quote:

Me. Considering the following we've created in the past 2 years with our public events at many restaurants/bars in the tri-state area, and the numerous national awards we've collected, perhaps my insight is correct and well-founded. To each his own.

I've been using a combination of baking and broiling for YEARS. I am knownst among my friends as the person who will be bringing the best wings on earth. In my method, the sauce gets inside the chicken wing. Softening it a bit, making it more moist and easier to pull off the bone while still remaining cristy. IMO (and the O of some others) throwing them in a fryer and then tossing hem in sauce is the cheap, fast and less appealing method. My method, however, would not be good for a restaurant, because it takes a little more time.

WingWatch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 09:52:36 (permalink)
I just got back from Buffalo and I have to hand it to the Anchor Bar over Duff's. The Duff's wings were to soggy, not enoungh crispiness. The Anchor Bar could have used a bit more sauce, but they were still awesome.
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 10:14:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader
[

I've been using a combination of baking and broiling for YEARS. I am knownst among my friends as the person who will be bringing the best wings on earth. In my method, the sauce gets inside the chicken wing. Softening it a bit, making it more moist and easier to pull off the bone while still remaining cristy. IMO (and the O of some others) throwing them in a fryer and then tossing hem in sauce is the cheap, fast and less appealing method. My method, however, would not be good for a restaurant, because it takes a little more time.

And if you just 'throw them in a fryer' for the entire cooking process, yeah, it's simple. I don't. After 4-5 minutes I take them out, stab them each once with a 2-pronged fork, so as to allow a bit of the oil into the meat causing separation of skin and meat before the skin reseals itself, leaving the skin ultra-crispy and the meat throughly juicy (not unlike a Peking-Duck method", and then leave them in until desired crispiness. When you are serving hundreds of pounds of these things out of multiple turkey fryers, believe me it is time consuming to take the extra step, but as has been tasted by all those who have attended our gigs, there are no complaints.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 11:04:09 (permalink)
quote:

[quoteAnd if you just 'throw them in a fryer' for the entire cooking process, yeah, it's simple. I don't. After 4-5 minutes I take them out, stab them each once with a 2-pronged fork, so as to allow a bit of the oil into the meat causing separation of skin and meat before the skin reseals itself, leaving the skin ultra-crispy and the meat throughly juicy (not unlike a Peking-Duck method", and then leave them in until desired crispiness. When you are serving hundreds of pounds of these things out of multiple turkey fryers, believe me it is time consuming to take the extra step, but as has been tasted by all those who have attended our gigs, there are no complaints.

that's called a greasy wing. When you bake, the sauce gets inside, thus making it juicy without being greasy. The broiling makes it crispy.
I'm sure there are no complaints with your system. I'd expect fried wings when at a restaurant or a large wing event. I wouldn't complain if I had your wings at your event. I told you I do want to try your sauce when you come closer to DC (MD maybe?) But you won't convince me that frying is better than my method - because I've had the harshest Buffalo natives and self prescribed critics rate my wings among the best they've had.
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 11:30:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dearhawke

The question still stands. How to make them really really hot and still taste good. The answer is not use Franks hot sauce and put your favorite hot sauce to taste. My question is specificately what additional hot sauce that also tastes good? I am not good at experimenting and besides, the wheel does not need to be reinvented. There are some good recipes out there, I just have to find them. I wonder what some of the wing places use. By the way, Frank's makes their standard hot sauce and also a buffalo wing sauce. It looks like the buffalo sauce may already have the butter in it but other than that very similar ingredients.
dearhawke, a good friend of mine when visiting will always mix up a big batch of wings, and we both like them lip-burning, forehead-sweating, eye-tearing hot. the only thing she adds to her sauce (in addition to the frank's and butter) is a relatively small amount of celery seed (in the seasoning aisle). i never knew that celery seed had such a kick to it, but i find the taste much better than when we've just added hot sauces.
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 11:41:03 (permalink)
"that's called a greasy wing."

Scorereader, believe it or not, they aren't greasy in the least ( I HATE greasy/goopy wings). We use canola oil, which for one doesn't flavor the wing in the least, so as to compliment the sauce, and from the amount of oil that gets into the wing (in about a nanosecond) after the "stabbing", it's miniscule at best. For personal taste, I enjoy the sauce being only on the outside of the appendage. Like I said, we'll be hitting MD & DE, I do believe some time in June/July, so you'll get a chance to try them out. Very curious what your opinion will be. If you want, just shoot me an e-mail so I can put you on the list and I'll send out an e-mail to you when exactly the event will be.
Dearhawke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 12:16:19 (permalink)
booboobirdie
Sure can't see how celery seed would make wings hotter. Haven't tried it though. Maybe I will. Franks sauce by itself is not hot enough for me. (Note: Making it hot is easy, making it hot and taste like the wings you get at Wings To Go is not easy.) I want it very hot but I also want it to taste like a wing place.

DEFCON Creator
I live in Delaware at the beach. I would be interested in your wing event in the summer. jddukes@comcast.net
Where would you be thinking of hitting MD & DE?
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/19 12:37:46 (permalink)
MD may be 2 events, Marco of Marco's Sauces has invited me to his gourmet shop for one of our infamous Defcon Days, and the other I do believe will be in Ocean City. There is a large speedboat festival going on, and we know a few of the rescue divers that will be attending/working it, they stated we would have a ball. Hey, it's all about the fun! As for DE, we're working on the specifics...
SurrealGourmet
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/21 17:17:51 (permalink)
I can personally recommend DEFCON sauces. I just recently purchased a set of their sauces (3, 2 and 1) and plan on making tons of wings this weekend. I sampled them last night (the pour it in a spoon and swig it method) and they taste really good! I probably should have taken a smaller swig of the of Defcon 1...HOT...but oh soooooo yummy! I am sure they will taste even better once my wings are slathered with it! I can't even imagine the ZERO they make!" />
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2006/12/22 08:07:46 (permalink)
Thanks for the good words Surreal. The ZERO is just plain nasty. It's our own habanero extract, and really shouldn't be used straight on anything. Unlike most extracts, that use a ketone extraction method, leaving behind a mettalic almost bitter taste, we do ours by hand using only natural ingredients. The next ZERO release will be around March/April. It takes us about 4 months and 200-300+ pounds of orange habaneros to harvest enough of the primodial evil for a release. Kind of a labor of love.

I would love to hear your review after you done the wings. Watch out for the #1, it's a real creeper! LOL!
SurrealGourmet
Hamburger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/02 10:41:19 (permalink)
OK....just had to reply to let DEFCON know that his sauce is awesome!! I can't put my finger on it but there is something that is sooooo addicting about it. I swear you must put nicotine or something in there because I couldn't eat enough of it! FYI...I fried them with your method of peircing the skin with a two prong fork and it worked out great. Crispy on the outside...nice and moist (not greasy) on the inside! My wife ate the DEFCON 3 and that was about as hot as she could take! I love the DEFCON 2 and made a couple batches...one with just 2 and a batch with a little 1 mixed in....PERFECT heat level.

I definately have to order up some more sauce for the Superbowl party we are throwing! GOOD STUFF!!!
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/02 14:15:59 (permalink)
Glad you liked them, thanks for the good words. There are a couple "Ancient Chinese Secrets" in the ingredients

Hopefully, one of these days, you'll be able to make one of our "Defcon Day" events. Nothing like free wings for an entire afternoon.

Looking forward to making your Superbowl party a hit, at least wingwise.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/02 15:00:02 (permalink)
I lived in the Utica, NY area for about 7 years and have been in NJ for almost 15. I have returned to Utica to visit friends at least twice a year since moving to NJ.

While I lived in Utica wings were a religion that I did not understand. Dinner twice a week was supposed to be pizza & wings w/blue cheese & celery. (I have noticed that this discussion does not talk much about the blue cheese & celery which I think are a major part of the wings experience.)

Every time I visit Utica we go out for wings at least twice during the visit. After eating wings at many restaurants around Utica for many years I finally started to like them a few years ago.

Our usual place for wings is Knuckleheads in Westmoreland, NY. "Knucks" serves an extra crispy wing that we like. They also have about 6 different sauces. We tend to get the medium and the "everything". And we always get blue cheese and celery.

After nagging my friends for several years, I finally convinced them to drive to Buffalo one Sunday last summer to try the wings at the Anchor Bar. We did a direct comparison between Knucklehead's medium and hot sauces and Anchor's medium and hot. Both were ordered as extra crispy. We ate at Knuck's on Saturday and Anchor on Sunday.

We found the Anchor was almost identical to Knuckleheads. The wings at Anchor are a little larger and cost $3 a dozen more. Both wings were crispy and had good flavor. Knuckleheads had better blue cheese and was more generous with the portion of celery.

It finally settled my question of whether or not Anchor Bar had the best wings. They are good, but an inspired restaurant can make them as good as Anchor can.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/04 07:59:26 (permalink)
Just as a side note. If anyone is in the area and wants to taste the best d*mn wings in the country, come join the Defcon Crew at Toro Loco in South Orange, NJ. FREE wings all afternoon, wing-eating competitions (perhaps even a Deathmatch), Jose Cuervo girls, tons of raffles, etc.

Hey FREE wings and playoff football, doesn't get much better than that!

Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/04 09:09:29 (permalink)
OK Defcon - I am interested. How about a time and date?
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/04 11:59:14 (permalink)
Great! Sunday, January 14th, from 1pm until around 5 or 6pm.

Looking forward to a review!
blgpts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/12 15:51:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MicahHibler

Am I missing something? Did I miss the post? I have yet to see anyone mention Quaker Steak on this website. They have my favorite wings, and I think most of their locations have an all you can eat wing buffet on Tuesday nights. You should check them out if they are in your local areas. www.quakersteak.com

I thought I'd posted awhile back about quaker steak and lube, but I can't find the post if I did. I agree tho, it is a very unique place with the best food of any kind there is. We have to travel 2 hours to get there, but its where we do lunch each and every time we DO manage to be in the area.
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/15 08:24:07 (permalink)
Man, yesterday was insane! I'd like to thank all who attended. I am so friggin' tired right now, but somehow arrived at work. This Defcon Day was definitely the largest on record. Considering the place was at maximum capacity for a good part of the day was nothing short of awesome.

We had a Deathmatch winner, who's words to me after finishing were, "You should be locked up for that sh*t!" was great.
I was a little upset that the owner got breaded wings (breaded, YUCK!), I NEVER use breaded wings, "naked" is best, as it accentuates the sauce and doesn't get all goopy and nasty. But all in all I don't think people minded that much, as the chaos within the place was electric. The NJ Devil mascot did a great job as well, and it was hilarious when he backed away from the #2 match when the girl was about to blow chow! Great stuff!

I trust all that attended had a good time, hey $2 beers all day is pretty good. As was witnessed, these events are becoming drastically larger, hence the reason we're doing more of them. Perhaps those that weren't able to attend (that includes you Huv) will be able to make it to the next one on the 27th in Westborough, Massachusetts (details to follow).

Well, gonna go grab my 3rd Mountain Dew right now, my eyelids are getting heavy...

Thanks again everyone, it was a great time!
SurrealGourmet
Hamburger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/15 14:06:53 (permalink)
Sure wish I could have made the event DC. I saw the pics of the event over on HSB. My mouth was watering just "seeing" your wing sauce!
DEFCON Creator
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/01/15 16:45:08 (permalink)
It was definitely a lot of fun! Where are you located, perhaps we are rolling into a town near you...
tomasher
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/04/25 13:25:46 (permalink)
Killing time at work and found this topic.

Born and raised in Philadelphia, now living in Maple Shade, NJ...

My top five:

1: Wing King - Moorestown, NJ
2: Sports Cafe - State College, PA
3: Coach's Bar and Grille - Philadelphia, PA
4: Valerio's - Albrightsville, PA
5: Reale's - Philadelphia, PA

When I make my own, I stick to the purist route for the most part. Frank's Red Hot, butter, Tabasco... but I also try to add a third hot sauce, usually something I find in the cupboard, and also some black pepper. I cook the wings (fresh, never frozen) well-done in the deep fryer, and then shake them up in the sauce.

The wing sauce also works great with my T-ASH Fries... fresh cut potatoes deep fried twice, sprinkled with Kosher salt, and then baked in the oven with anywhere from one to four different cheeses.
Cat329
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/05/06 13:37:53 (permalink)
Hi,
I'm orginally from NY but live in Georgia. Anyone know any good wings restaurant down here?
grant.cook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/08/22 15:11:43 (permalink)
Although I have never been to the Anchor Bar, I would put my vote in for Quaker Steak and Lube. I used to frequent the one in Sharon, PA, but there are several locations now. Their golden garlic wings were amazing; my friends were partial to the Louisianna Lickers. I did appreciate the humor of having to sign a waiver before they gave you the atomic wings. The atmosphere was good, as well..
yotko
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/17 15:47:57 (permalink)
Folks,

New to the forum, just looking for a good wing place in northern NJ, but I have to tell you, if you're in central Jersey, you gotta try Chicken Galore in Woodbridge. WOW. Best wings I've ever had, and I love my wings.

It's a counter only, no seating, all takeout. But maaaaaaaaaaaan is it good.

Anyway, if anyone knows a really good wings place, please let me know. Thanks!
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/23 00:10:01 (permalink)

Rank
NAME

1 Wild Wings Café - Charleston, South Carolina Any

2 Mosquito Grill - Doylestown, PA
Garlic Parmesan

3 Duffs Buffalo, NY Hot

Tony
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1