Best Buffalo Wings

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 11
Author
jordan23
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/24 21:01:54 (permalink)
Three restaurants in Buffalo, New York, are sending about 125 dozen chicken wings to Baghdad in time for Sunday's game between the Carolina Panthers and the New England Patriots.
rogo90
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/25 11:47:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I have lived in the WNY area all my life and I will rate the top wing places to go in WNY:

1. Brennan's Bowery Bar-----Clarence, NY---Huge wings and excellent
2. Duff's-------------------Amherst, NY
3. Elmo's-------------------Getzville, NY--excellent cajun wings
4. Anchor Bar---------------Buffalo, NY

I went to the Anchor Bar back in 1967 when they use to serve up big bowl's of them on the bar for free. The free wings would entice the bar crowd to drink more. Back then, chicken wings were often thrown away as scrap meat. Eventually, they started selling them at the Anchor Bar 10 wings for $1.00 or 20 wings for $1.75. Boy, how times have changed.

I have to say, I went off this guy's recommendation, and I was sorely disappointed. Brennan's wings are decidedly mediocre and very small in size, opposite to what this poster had claimed. There are plenty of other places that offer better wings than Brennan's.

I would like to add to the list, Kelly's Korner, a small neighborhood bar on Delaware in between Hertel and Kenmore. Their wings are big, nice and cripsy on the outside, nice and meaty on the inside, and they make their own hot sauce out of fresh ingredients. I even think they throw in some paprika.
rogo90
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/25 11:50:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tbelk

The best wings in Buffalo, and perhaps the cosmos are often overlooked, and can be had at Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street in Buffalo-HUGE, juicy and with excellent sauce, they beat anyone, anywhere, hands down !!!!

Good, but definitely not the best. Second fiddle to anchor bar.
rogo90
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/25 11:53:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by FoodDude

I've tried the wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. They were all right, I guess. But I've found that the best wings were actualy north of Buffalo in Niagara Falls, NY where they seem to serve up jumbo, Schwartzenegger size wings. One such place was Frenchy's, the first place I ever tried authentic "Buffalo-style" wings. They were deep-fried and coated with that familiar hot sauce. I tried two bowls of fifteen. One had medium and the other hot sauce. Thirty of these monsters are definetly a meal unto themselves. Medium combines the perfect balance of heat and taste, while the hot sauce will definitely make you sweat buckets. Frenchy's is located just off the main downtown route of Niagara Falls, NY and is a family run family restaurant (no booze) that has a plain white and blue decorum. If you're starving for something while you wait, you can grab a pizza square. They're saucy and cheesy and will tied you over. Sammy's is a more popular, sports themed gathering place (booze) that is located near the baseball stadium and which also serves up some pretty good jumbo sized wings. Maybe they should call these jumbo sized portions "Niagara Falls Chicken Wings".

Unless you a professional competitive eater, I doubt that those wings were that big if you could eat thirty in one sitting. The ones at Duff's, ten are a meal. Me and two of my friends ordered a bucket foolishly, we are all big guys ( over 200 lbs) who can eat, and we couldn't even finish 30 between the three of us.
rogo90
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/25 11:55:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

The Anchor Bar is where everyone from out of town frequents for "Wings". Us local residents know all the best spots such as:
1. Brennan's Bowery Bar---Clarence, NY
2. Duff's-----------------Amherst, NY
3. Elmoes-----------------Getzville, NY

All three of the above put the Anchor Bar to shame. The Anchor bar utilizes very small wings and is living off of its reputation as the inventor of "Wings". Everyone here never refers to them as Buffalo Wings but simply as "WINGS". You know the out of towners when they ask for Buffalo Wings.

Brennan's puts no one to shame unless you want overpriced and tiny. Duff's is the one most preferred by locals over the Anchor Bar. I have no experience with Elmoes.
WingWatch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/25 12:03:23 (permalink)
When I went to Buffalo last year on my wing trip, I preferred the Anchor Bar to Duff's, but there were things that both could learn from the other.

For instance, Duff's sauce was better but the wing itself was a little too large and somewhat soggy. The Anchor Bar wings were perfectly cooked and a good size but the sauce was lacking.

The best wings I ever had in all my travels were in Reading, PA at a place called The Peanut Bar. Absolutely perfect in all considerations.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 11:34:35 (permalink)
Peanut bar eh? Try the swordfish next time you are there - not bad.
As far as wings in that area try Basin Street in Kutztown, PA they have a great Monday night all you can eat special... And only if Wild Wings was still in the Reading Airport....

Tony
WingWatch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 12:09:02 (permalink)
I know all too well about the power of Basin Street wings... I was a cook there for two years in college. I used to to eat an average of 40 wings on wing night when I was behind the fryer. Excellent!

As for Wing Wing Cafe in the Reading Airport... An incredible place for wings in the early to mid 90s. The quality went south in the late 90s and then it eventually folded. I had some of the best wings of my life there, and some of the worst. An interesting dicotomy as far as wings joints go.
Dearhawke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 12:18:02 (permalink)
I hate to beat a dead horse, but... Is there any new blood on this forum that has a really good, really hot wing sauce recipe? Hmmmm ????
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 14:12:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dearhawke

I hate to beat a dead horse, but... Is there any new blood on this forum that has a really good, really hot wing sauce recipe? Hmmmm ????

Here's one. Grilling makes them really good; Frank's makes it really hot. Low grade of difficulty, but perhaps too old blood for your taste. pb

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipe/franks/recipevideos/grilledbuffalochickenwings.html?
Dearhawke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 14:50:12 (permalink)
I just do not think Frank's is hot. There is a place in Dover, DE called Wings To Go. It is a chain I think. But at this one location the hottest sauce is called homicide. If you get the 10 wing dinner, by the time you get to the 10th wing, you have to really try to eat it without touching your lips. Yes,Yes,Yes... The sauce is tasty and I can still enjoy the chicken for those of you who think once it gets a little hot you can't taste anything or enjoy the chicken anymore. Does anyone out there enjoy really hot wings and have a recipe for them?
andydeahl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 15:19:18 (permalink)
Try a new twist: Smoked Wings

Simmer wings in water for 45 minutes until tender (include celery,onion and carrots for a great stock)

Toss wings in your favorite sauce

Smoke at low heat with hard wood for 1-2 hours turning once.

The taste great, fall off the bone, and are low fat.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 16:32:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dearhawke

I just do not think Frank's is hot. There is a place in Dover, DE called Wings To Go. It is a chain I think. But at this one location the hottest sauce is called homicide. If you get the 10 wing dinner, by the time you get to the 10th wing, you have to really try to eat it without touching your lips. Yes,Yes,Yes... The sauce is tasty and I can still enjoy the chicken for those of you who think once it gets a little hot you can't taste anything or enjoy the chicken anymore. Does anyone out there enjoy really hot wings and have a recipe for them?

Use above Frank's recipe and add Blair's 3A.M. hot sauce until your pain level has reached that nervanic state you are seeking. Available here - http://www.insanechicken.com/hot_sauce.html

If this doesn't get you off, you're a sick puppy. I guess you could try the pure stuff, but it sure sounds pricy...and you don't get much of it for the money. Check it out...also a Blair's offering. pb
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/09/27 18:31:12 (permalink)
I had Quaker State wings in Erie, PA a couple of nights ago and they were awful. They had a decor of all kinds of neat old cars including Corvettes and Thunderbirds and they were covered with dust. Somebody has forgot about their business.

Hooters in my area still has the best wings by far.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/05 12:48:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WingWatch

I know all too well about the power of Basin Street wings... I was a cook there for two years in college. I used to to eat an average of 40 wings on wing night when I was behind the fryer. Excellent!

As for Wing Wing Cafe in the Reading Airport... An incredible place for wings in the early to mid 90s. The quality went south in the late 90s and then it eventually folded. I had some of the best wings of my life there, and some of the worst. An interesting dicotomy as far as wings joints go.

If you were a cook at Basin in the mid to late 90's then you owe me about three years I took off my life there every Monday.... What a shame what happened to WIld WIng but another did open in SOuth Caroilna and some Eatingteam members went down and said it was just as good as they remembered!!!!!

Tony
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/05 13:05:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I had Quaker State wings in Erie, PA a couple of nights ago and they were awful.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

My good lord Paul!

If you had wings seasoned with this stuff

It must have been awful!

I think you mean Quaker Steak!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/05 13:35:20 (permalink)
Sundancer-
I'm not a fan of Quaker Steak, either. The original location in Sharon, Pa. is still quite good, but I have never ate good wings in any of their other locations. But, people around here love 'em.
cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/05 15:07:47 (permalink)
There is a Wild Wings in Ephrata Pa that is only takeout,but I think the wings are the same as what used to be at the Reading airport.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/05 23:24:01 (permalink)
Sweet Jesus! If that is true expect a birthday card form me! i will be on my way there next sunday then...

Tony
Wytewyz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/12 06:48:11 (permalink)
The best wings that I have ever had (and I've had a ton of wings) were at The Cafe Hot Wing in Marietta, Ga. Serious stuff!

If you are travelling through the area take the time to hit this joint. They are on Roswell Rd about a half mile north of Rte41. It's near the "Big Chicken".

I lived in Marietta years ago when they started as a little place on the square. They had to move because of the crowds waiting to get in.

Be warned...their hottest wings will scorch your brainstem.
The teriyaki wings are great for those that want to avoid the heat.

If you are a serious wing nut and eat there you may be looking up real estate agents to move there after eating at Cafe Hot Wing.

Mizzou_Tiger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/26 18:59:53 (permalink)
My two favorite wing places are Wingers (on Rt 68 in Bellefontaine, OH you can't miss it) and Cluck-U Chicken (on High St near OSU in Columbus, OH). Both of them serve MEATY (I emphasize that because who wants those tiny wings a lot of places try passing off?), spicy wings in a variety of sauces from almost no heat to heat that makes you feel like your face is melting. Both of them also have pretty good sandwiches and burgers for those who don't like wings (but I don't trust those folks, do you? lol).
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/10/26 19:21:09 (permalink)

Ricky's in Hollywood, Fl is known for their wings. They bottle their own hot sauce, too.

We use to grind up dried Thai peppers (dark deep redish color) and then add them to bottled Frank's Hot Sauce. We'd cook the mixture for an hour to heighten the strength. But, even that was not hot enough for some of our customers! I'm thinking the only way to really get the sauce unbearably hot is to use ground Habeneros?

wowzer2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/09 14:21:09 (permalink)
Hello:

Although I'm not a native upstate New Yorker, I went to college in Upstate NY. I did not eat my first wing until 1987. After finishing college, I left NY and lived throughout the country (Illinois, Texas, NJ) and never quite found the same quality of wings as in Upstate NY. I've tried loads of places throughout the years, and here is my own personal favorite list:

1) Anchor Bar, Buffalo NY. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I had my first taste of the original wing. And it was probably the best wings I've ever had in my life, period. Meaty, crispy, served hot with generous portion of blue cheese sauce. The wings are absolutely fabulous here. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Hands down, one of the best places on the planet for wings.

2) Scubber's Hot Wings, Latham NY. 590 New Loudon Road, Latham NY 12110. This was the place that I visited nearly every weekend while in college. The wings are offered in several different sauces. The "medium" is hot enough for most people. "hot" is extremely hot, and they even have "atomic" which I don't recommend. The wings are fried individually upon order, and served up fresh and hot. After frying up the wings, they put them into a plastic tub and put the sauce onto it and then shake everything up to make sure its evenly coated. Most restaurants will simply just pour the sauce on top. Now a few words about the sauce at Scubbers. I was always fascinated how the sauce at Scubbers would "stick" to the wing. If you just use plain RedHot sauce, its simply too watery and just falls off the wing without sticking. Without breading the wing, they do something to the sauce to make it thicker. My guess is that they add a bit of corn starch or oatmeal to the sauce to thicken it up a little. This makes the wing crispy, yet light and fantastic! Only bad part about this place is that they're closed on Sundays (which s^cks for football season). Simply one of the best places for wings around.

3) Donkey Cafe. 602 Grace St, Scranton PA. One of my friends who went to school in Scranton introduced me to this place about a year ago. I've been back 3 times since then and am more impressed each time I go. The place is a dump. One half of the place is a bar, and the other half is a restaurant. It gets very smoky inside. The wings are not that meaty (as compared to Scubbers or Anchor), but fried crispy and served in a wonderful sauce.

I've tried loads of places throughout the country which claim to have good wings, but I just find them to be downright mediocre. Here is a list of my wings which are "average": Cluck-U, Hooters, BW3, Chili's, Bennigans, Peabodys (Saratoga NY),
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/09 14:26:58 (permalink)
wowzer2-
Really nice first post and welcome to Roadfood!
amini1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/10 09:56:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wowzer2

Hello:

Although I'm not a native upstate New Yorker, I went to college in Upstate NY. I did not eat my first wing until 1987. After finishing college, I left NY and lived throughout the country (Illinois, Texas, NJ) and never quite found the same quality of wings as in Upstate NY. I've tried loads of places throughout the years, and here is my own personal favorite list:

1) Anchor Bar, Buffalo NY. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I had my first taste of the original wing. And it was probably the best wings I've ever had in my life, period. Meaty, crispy, served hot with generous portion of blue cheese sauce. The wings are absolutely fabulous here. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Hands down, one of the best places on the planet for wings.

2) Scubber's Hot Wings, Latham NY. 590 New Loudon Road, Latham NY 12110. This was the place that I visited nearly every weekend while in college. The wings are offered in several different sauces. The "medium" is hot enough for most people. "hot" is extremely hot, and they even have "atomic" which I don't recommend. The wings are fried individually upon order, and served up fresh and hot. After frying up the wings, they put them into a plastic tub and put the sauce onto it and then shake everything up to make sure its evenly coated. Most restaurants will simply just pour the sauce on top. Now a few words about the sauce at Scubbers. I was always fascinated how the sauce at Scubbers would "stick" to the wing. If you just use plain RedHot sauce, its simply too watery and just falls off the wing without sticking. Without breading the wing, they do something to the sauce to make it thicker. My guess is that they add a bit of corn starch or oatmeal to the sauce to thicken it up a little. This makes the wing crispy, yet light and fantastic! Only bad part about this place is that they're closed on Sundays (which s^cks for football season). Simply one of the best places for wings around.

3) Donkey Cafe. 602 Grace St, Scranton PA. One of my friends who went to school in Scranton introduced me to this place about a year ago. I've been back 3 times since then and am more impressed each time I go. The place is a dump. One half of the place is a bar, and the other half is a restaurant. It gets very smoky inside. The wings are not that meaty (as compared to Scubbers or Anchor), but fried crispy and served in a wonderful sauce.

I've tried loads of places throughout the country which claim to have good wings, but I just find them to be downright mediocre. Here is a list of my wings which are "average": Cluck-U, Hooters, BW3, Chili's, Bennigans, Peabodys (Saratoga NY),

Wowzer2, nice, informative post. I grew up near Scranton. Next time I visit I'm going to have to search out the Donkey Cafe.

I've never been to Buffalo unfortunately as I consider wings my favorite food. As a fan of the pathetic Dolphins, my dislike of the Bills has kept me away. I'll have to make a trip up there for a Fins/Bills game. In New York City, the best wings were at a place called Entourage on the Upper East Side. The name has changed but it's still a sports bar. My receipt actually said Entourage on it last time I was there even though that's not the name. On the West Side theres a bar called Blondie's that has fantastic wings. Both of these places are among the best wings I've had.

On an interesting note, when I was in high school near Princeton, New Jersey, a place called Chuck's Spring Street Cafe made the best wings. It was sold to one of the infamous Menendez brothers 4 months after they killed their parents. I believe it's still there but I have no idea if their wings are still good.
Chrismang
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/10 15:20:17 (permalink)
I've been to a ton of wing joints over the years and have eaten what has to be a ton myself. I live in Hoboken, NJ and there are quite a few spots here that have great wings. I'll list them in order to my ranking as follows:

1. Rogo's
2. Stinky Sullivan's
3. Black Bear
4. Liberty Bar

These are just a few of the spots but if you're in the area, I'd def start at Rogo's as they have solid hot wings and real good teryaki.

Stinky's bakes them after they're fried for an awesome taste that I haven't had since in Buffalo.

Black Bear's are solid and their wing night on Tuesdays is awesome, pitcher of beer and about 30 wings for $12.95.

Liberty uses Sirachi chili sauce which is amazing and they mix it in pretty damn well.

For other places around, I found a site Thewingmasters.com that is pretty bad ass that you can find wing places all around the US that other people rate and review. Definitely worth checkin out.
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/12 15:47:44 (permalink)

1. Porkys - Shelton, CT
Delicious wings. Just flat out awesome. Good sizes and portions. Sauce is great, you can get it hot(regular) or hot(as hot as it comes) which is what I do. The chef said he'd make my friend and I cry, which he didn't, but he did get a new member of the Porkys fan club.
2. BWW - Having never enjoyed buffalo wild wings before I moved to CT, this place is great. A restaurant with lots of different wing styles and flavors at decent prices? With about 40 t.v.'s? Sign me up
3. Archie Moores - Milford, CT
Very good wings. Happy hour = free wings, which is always nice. As far as being the best in CT...see #1.
deeofsanpedro
Junior Burger
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/24 01:35:06 (permalink)
710 Grille in San Pedro, California has some of the greatest Hot Wings you'll ever taste. Amazing!!
drewsbu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/26 14:47:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wowzer2

Hello:

I go to scubbers all the time, one of the best wings ever. (I eat wings probably twice a week, mmmmm. I'm addicted to hot sauce.) Their sauce is simply DELISH!!! You are correct about the sauce, it sticks to the wing almost paste like, but not. I never seen such a thing, and its crispy and great. I tried their hottest sauce and it was great, nice heat and I could handle it, but I would never get it again because I felt the sauce makes it way through my entire body destroying everything that it came across. Pure lava at the end, I literally cried on the toilet and I decided to give up hot sauce forever, but that didn't last long, haha. The wing itself is normal size, not too big not too small. 20 wings are a meal for the normal wing eater.

Dislikes: Not open on sunday, price(almost $8 for 10 wings, ouch), they sell wings by the 10's(boo). I always go back for more. I use to buy their sauce, but $10 for 9 oz was getting too much for me.

We probably went to the same college that is located down the road from the school.

Also, there is a pizza joint called Manor House in Rensselaer NY, I think they could beat out scubbers wings. From what I heard, 2 former chefs run the place and the one guy loves hot sauce. They make their own sauce and its probably the best sauce I've tasted, (sorry defcon). They have mild, med., hot and TNT. I tried their TNT and it was just heat and no taste. Their "hot" has the perfect balance of heat and flavor (the best). I just love how you can see the spices in the sauce, delish. Also, their boneless wings are breaded crispy wonderness.

Both places are equal in greatness, but Manor House gives you wings by the dozen and their 12 wings are a meal and they cheaper compared to Scubbers.

I've been reading this thread for about 6 months now, and since someone brought up scubbers I had to reply.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2007/11/26 15:17:17 (permalink)
drewsbu-
Welcome to Roadfood! It sounds like you know your way around some hot wings, so I hope you stick around and continue contributing to this thread and others.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1