Best Buffalo Wings

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
2003/06/26 10:50:09 (permalink)

Best Buffalo Wings

This is a cuisine I am passionate about, as much as cheesesteaks, or pizza. I have tried various venues around the northeast, where I live, and compiled a list of my favorite wings.

1. Anchor Bar, Buffalo NY.
2. Windsor Inn, Jermyn PA.
3. Brother Jimmy's Bait Shack 92nd & 3rd, Manhattan NY
4. Continental Tavern, Yardley PA
5. Robert's Place, Ventnor NJ
6. Golden Nugget Tavern, Berlin NJ
7. Murphy's, Hanover NH
8. Pub 199, Mt Arlington NJ
9. Vermont Pub & Brewery, Burlington VT
10. Mountain Valley Brew Pub, Suffern NY

306 Replies Related Threads

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/07/01 22:06:36 (permalink)
    I'm curious about when you last tried the Brother Jimmy's wings, tamandmik. They used to be Atomic Wings, which I think are among the only decent wings in NYC (I grew up near Buffalo, so tend to be picky about this kind of thing.) Last I heard, they had lost or ceased their licensing arrangement with Atomic, and had slipped into mediocrity.
    FlattedFifth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/07/02 02:00:09 (permalink)
    I am very familiar with Brother Jimmy's and their food. I can not speak for the past, but the wings today are not great. Not bad, just not great. Recently they hired I a new executive chef and the quality of all their food has gone up (the northern ribs are the best in the city) but the wings are still lacking. My favorite wings in Manhattan are at Blondies on 79th(?) and Amsterdam.

My favorite wings anywhere are at the Candlelight Inn, 519 Central Ave, Scarsdale NY.

Also, I was not a big fan of the wings at the anchor bar. Blasphamy perhaps, but the truth nonetheless.

quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

I'm curious about when you last tried the Brother Jimmy's wings, tamandmik. They used to be Atomic Wings, which I think are among the only decent wings in NYC (I'm grew up near Buffalo, so tend to be picky about this kind of thing.) Last I heard, they had lost or ceased their licensing arrangement with Atomic, and had slipped into mediocrity.
    Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/07/04 00:47:18 (permalink)
    Can't mess with the original; best ever. Anchor Bar, 1047 Main St, Buffalo, NY .. Birthplace of Buffalo Wings. Visited there in 1990. Mouth still waters.
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/07/04 10:40:14 (permalink)
    While in Buffalo recently, tried Duff's @ 3651 Sheridan Drive -- excellent! Family actually preferred it to Anchor.
    dmz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/07/04 14:16:11 (permalink)
    There are three places I would like to comment on, All in the Buffalo area. The first one is one of my favorites; Rooties, huge wings , great sauce, the establishment is sort of a dive but those are always the best places. On the flip side, Jacks Place near the Marriot on Millersport Hwy, is a great upscale joint frequented by the Buffalo Sabers, and they surprisingly have great wings, price is not to bad either. Finally in the Lockport area on Transit Road, is Sunnys. Smaller wings crispy on the outside, perfect on the inside.
    ootmar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/09/04 22:28:31 (permalink)

Best wings in NYC:

Aiello's Pizza Emporium
    383 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10016 9065
    Phone: 212 683 7746
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/10 16:52:23 (permalink)
    Alright all,
    I'm in charge of chicken wings to munch on tomorrow while myself and guests watch the Gators get mauled by the Tigers. What's your favorite homemade recipe?
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/10 17:14:11 (permalink)
    Go to Costco, where the cost $1.19 a lb. (Tyson's). Cut off wing tips, rinse, and put in a bowl of salted water (brine). Let sit for a couple of hours or a day or two. Spray Pam on your grill, and grill without any sauce or anything for about an hour, turning, and looking at so they don't get too crispy. Melt butter and Frank's Hot Sauce, about 50/50. Throw wings in a bowl with sauce, and serve. Blue cheese salad dressing and celery on the side. (May omit the celery).
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/10 18:29:19 (permalink)
    1 5 lb bag frozen chicken wings , separated
    peanut oil to fill a deep dutch oven

Fry these babies until nice and crispy then arrange on a large baking pan.

Pour this mixture over the wings:

1 stick butter or margarine, melted
    3/4 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce
    4 tablespoons worcestershire
    1 Tblsp Garlic powcer
    1 package Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Salad Dressing

Stir these ingredients together well and pour over wings. Bake in 350 oven for about 25 mins....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

metsfan6986
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/11 09:30:26 (permalink)
    The best wings in NYC are at Pluck U which has 3 or 4 locations in Manhattan.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18381
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/11 16:02:07 (permalink)
    I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to eat a chicken wing. I tried a chicken wing once at Buffalo's Anchor Bar. I liked the spiciness, but that was it.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/11 18:37:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to eat a chicken wing. I tried a chicken wing once at Buffalo's Anchor Bar. I liked the spiciness, but that was it.

One of the cool things for me about this list is that you'll find people who like and dislike everything. I won't eat seafood on a bet, for example. By the same token, I believe that the Buffalo chicken wing -- prepared correctly (i.e., the way they are made in Buffalo, and not the imposter ways featuring BBQ sauce or honey sauce) -- is one of the ingenious snack-food creations ever. Done properly, I find them as tasty as they are spicy.

I'm not knocking BBQ chicken, by the way. I love it. But too many places make BBQ chicken wings and call them Buffalo wings.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/10/12 02:14:38 (permalink)
    I like the "Wings To Go" chain,which is all over Maryland,Delaware,South Jersey and I think they have some stores in Pennsylvania too.When i first ate there,wings were always ready in 8 minutes but now it seems to take twice that long.They used to only have mild,hot,x-hot,and suicide sauces,now they have added garlic,honey,bbq,"homicide",and I think teriyaki sauces.They have also added fried shrimp and breast filet sandwiches,to me I think it was better in the original days.But the wings are still nicely fried in clean oil and of decent size,and the extra-hot sauce is my favorite as it is a combination of heat and flavor.The "suicide" or "homicide" sauces lean too much on the heat without caring about flavor.There are times when I just want something really hot,thats when I add 1 or 2 drops of Daves Insanity Sauce,but for most purposes the Extra-Hot is right on the money.
    We have had a few parties when we have bought multiples of 100 wings from these folks.Always unanimous good reviews from the guests.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/06 01:53:36 (permalink)
    Anyone ever try Buffalo Wild Wings?
    glennpan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/06 08:58:06 (permalink)
    I have gone to Buffalo Wild Wings and was completely underwhelmed. The wings are very small. While they have the choice of many different style wings, and I tried about 6 kinds, they don't do any of those styles particularly well.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/06 09:06:09 (permalink)
    My best friend and I are HUGE fans of Buffalo wings. We live in Connecticut, and often go to a place in Shelton (in the valley) called Porky's. Wings are always nice and crisp (my top requirement for a good wing) with the perfect combination of heat and vinegar. There's also a little dive right on downtown West Haven called Zee's...if ordered well-done and hot, they are some of the best I've had.
    And occasionally we get the time and the inspiration to drive to Albany, NY to a place called Sutter's Mill. Worth the 5 hour round-trip drive.
    I think I just drooled on my keyboard
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/07 01:29:04 (permalink)
    Yes I will agree on the crispness factor.Underdone wings are slimy and unappetizing.A particularly tasty sauce can partially make up for this,on the wings at the top of the plate,but the wings at the bottom will just taste like hot goo.
    Frying,no matter what the food subject matter is,would seem to be the most difficult food technique to master.Anybody can do it,some can do it well,and only a small percentage totally master it.McDonalds mechanized it with their "French Fry computer" but its hard to imagine that working with something like wings or oysters.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/08 17:41:05 (permalink)
    I too am a big fan of the traditional buffalo chicken wing, but i am always disappointed that the hottest flavors are never really that hot. I saw the list for the "best" chicken wings. Would the list be different if people listed the "hottest" chicken wings they tried?
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/22 11:45:12 (permalink)
    While not a big chicken wing eater, I do occaisionaly partake. We ordered from our local joint last night and the wings arrived looking darker than usual, the outside was cooked a little better (less slimey), the inside was still juicy and they were INCREDIBLY SALTY, with unusual seasoning flavors.

I suspect some national chicken purveyor has created a pre-(KFC style)marinated-pre-cooked-frozen wings that the locals dip in the fryer and douse with sauce.

Anyone else run into this?
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/22 12:16:51 (permalink)
    well, here goes.......easily one of the most over-rated snack foods,if not done right,as most simply do not know how to sauce them or even purchase the basic wings themselves
    1. sauce should have some FLAVOR,not merely fire
    2. wings should be large(big chickens)
    3. do not overcook
    if you can find me a place that meets these requirements, I'll apologize.....you see, I live in Tampa,where every 'sports bar'(of which there must be a thousand) serves these things and folks love em', but i have yet to find something decent....help me out here
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/22 22:06:44 (permalink)
    Okay, to the Roadfooders who don't understand the charm of a wing, it has to do with the meat being scant, yeah, but what's there is very tasty. Plus you have some crispy skin if it's done right. I find if you brine the wings (fresh, the frozen ones don't work for me) it helps crisp the skin up and also draws some of the blood out.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2003/11/22 23:00:00 (permalink)
    Hooter's are ok if you like a battered wing, and they sell that mix and the sauce in a lot of grocery chains. I don't think anyone goes to Hooter's for the food
    buffalowingman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 12:04:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

I too am a big fan of the traditional buffalo chicken wing, but i am always disappointed that the hottest flavors are never really that hot. I saw the list for the "best" chicken wings. Would the list be different if people listed the "hottest" chicken wings they tried?
    buffalowingman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 12:06:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

Try out Duffs already mentioned above and tell the waitress (usually cute ones) to hurt you...you'll be on the next ambulance to sisters hospital. good luck and dont inhale too deeply when she puts them in front of you or you wont even get a chance to eat them.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 13:24:15 (permalink)
    I used to not "get" the whole buffalo wing thing UNTIL I had them done right. Now I am hooked!

The best I ever had were at Duff's in Buffalo.

Here in Danbury CT there are a couple of decent places . First is Pippa's, a sports bar, their wings are consistantly good. Large, crispy pieces with a not too vinegary sauce.

Second is TK's (also a sports bar) - 23 flavors but sometimes the wings are small and on big game nights the place gets packed and the quality suffers - rubbery, yuck. BUT they give free wings on your birthday. How every many years old you are is how many free wings you get. Can't beat that.

As for hooters- been there once- they serve fried chicken - if you want hot wings the sauce is in a bottle on the table. I did like the sauce but not the breading on the wings.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 13:29:37 (permalink)
    Uggghhh....Hooters wings may be the worst wing I have ever eaten. They are deep-fried in a pretty thick batter, and their "hot" sauce wouldn't pass for mild at most places. This is clearly a case of when needing to decide if you want to look at, ahem, hooters, or eat good food.

Locally (central Florida area), the best wings around these parts are Frankie's Wings and Things. They have two locations -- one at Port Canaveral and one here in Melbourne. They number their sauces from 1 (mild) to 9 ("Dial 911"), and when you order, it is simply "I'd like a dozen threes." I am not too big a fan of too hot -- especially if you sacrifice flavor for heat -- but, I can put away fours without a big problem. They warn on the menu that anything higher than a three is hotter than what you would find at most wing places, but it is still funny to see some newbie walk in and think a "five" is middle of the road. I do have one buddy that orders "eights" on a regular basis, and he usually manages to get a nice sweat glow going by about the fifth or sixth wing!

Steve
    Gumbo191
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 13:57:45 (permalink)
    I am a huge fan of wings but please dont mention the "H" word when talking about wings. The place is ok if you need a wall calendar but not wings. A true wing should not be battered and the sauce should not be pink. The sauce should not be to hot either the goal is to enjoy the experience. I keep it simple and have just started grilling instead of frying.

Soak wings in salt water brine overnight or for several hours (extracts most of the blood from the bones)
    -Toss drained wings in large bowl with 1/4 cup of oil and you favorite cajun seasonings.
    -Grill till crisp.
    -In a suacepan melt 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup of Franks or Texas Pete hot sauce (stay away from Tabasco). Add tablespoon of white vinegar, shake of course grind black pepper and simmer.
    -If you want milder wings try mixing in some water and honey to the mix and if needed thicken with cornstarch.
    -Toss grilled wings in and enjoy!!!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 14:07:42 (permalink)
    WINGS IN TODAY's NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Buffalo restaurants send chicken wings to troops in Iraq
    Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

Buffalo, New York-AP -- A Super Bowl treat for some troops in Iraq.

Three restaurants in Buffalo, New York, are sending about 125 dozen chicken wings to Baghdad in time for Sunday's game between the Carolina Panthers and the New England Patriots.

The Anchor Bar and two pizza restaurants are sending the wings to Baltimore, where military officials are promising to deliver them safely to 150 members of three Buffalo-area military units.

Buffalo's mayor says the special delivery is "a small token of our sincere appreciation for the liberty we enjoy."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Best Buffalo Wings 2004/01/30 14:34:16 (permalink)
    thanks for the recipe, gumbo, i'm gonna try them sunday for Super Bowl. Ever try doing them in a turkey fryer ?
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1