Best Burger in US

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
branedamag
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/11/20 11:57:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

Is O'Connell's the Irish pub on Kingshighway that is almost under I-44? I seem to remember going there while I was in college over thirty years ago. I remember big long tables and something other than Budweiser to drink.

That's correct. Been there a long time. Don't ask for tomatoes.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/11/20 12:51:29 (permalink)
Thanks. When I go through St. Louis I usually stay near the Hill. I will have to make time for O'Connell's on my next trip.
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/11/21 23:09:59 (permalink)
My nostalgic best hamburger ever was at the original Hard Rock Cafe (!) in London, mid-1970s (74?). I was working offshore Scotland and had been there for over a year. Our cooks did what they could to replicate American food but they never could get hamburgers right. But Hard Rock did-- a classic American cheeseburger with fries and a thick chocolate malt. It was as much a taste of home as the Wolf Brand Chili that we would buy at Fortnum & Mason for $4 a can.

I finally got to try Bobcat Bite three weeks ago. The green chile cheeseburger lived up to its reputation and was the best hamburger I've had in recent memory, a simply wonderful classic hamburger (the meat seemed very dense and low fat, but the cheese made up for it), with a lot of zing in the chiles. My wife thought hers was undercooked but they tell you on the menu exactly what their interpretation of rare/medium/well done is, and that's precisely what they did.

She doesn't read instruction manuals either.
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/11/22 07:13:27 (permalink)
I am in Dayton,Ohio and there is a place on North Main ( Benjamins-The Burger Master 1000 N Main St, Dayton, OH )that has awesome double burgers. They are fixed to order, so there is a wait.
I tried the triple burger one time but it was wayyyyy to much meat for me. It's in no way a fancy place by far,but they have great burgers! They also have very good fried chicken & other side items.
Pamela
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/11/22 13:07:38 (permalink)
EVEN THOUGH IM 1400 MILES AWAY THERES JUST SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT POOCHIES IN SKOKIE ILLINOIS CHAR CHEDDAR BURGER WITH GRILLED ONIONS, I KNOW THERES A SELECT FEW THAT WOULD AGREE WITH ME
matty373
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/20 18:23:04 (permalink)
In NYC, the best burger I found was a little place hidden off the lobby in Le Parker Meridien Hotel on W. 57th. As far as I know, the place doesn't even have a name so you might have to ask when you get in the lobby. All they serve are burgers and fries. Most people don't even know it exists, but it still always has a line. Cheap (by NY standards), greasy and goooood. They are open until about midnight.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 18:02:33 (permalink)
After the experience I had last Saturday night, the best burger resides in Santa Fe New Mexico, at Bobcat Bite. For those who have been there before, you know what I am talking about.
thediningroom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 18:45:07 (permalink)
Best burgers in the world are served at Miller's Bar in Dearborn Michigan. They made the list of 10 best burgers in USA a few years ago, and I use to live down the street.
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 18:45:29 (permalink)
Tamindmik.............. I am SOO disappointed! If I've told twice, I,ve told you once,, the best green chile cheeseburger in New Mexico is to be had at the Outpost in Carrizzo!! Only dos hours from la hacienda!
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 18:50:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by thediningroom

Best burgers in the world are served at Miller's Bar in Dearborn Michigan. They made the list of 10 best burgers in USA a few years ago, and I use to live down the street.

I agree have eaten there many times and have also lived all over the country. Millers is as good today as it ever has been. Amazing how they have continued serving top quality Burgers after so many decades. It is my favorite Hamburger by far......Russ
thediningroom
Hamburger
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 20:26:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

I agree have eaten there many times and have also lived all over the country. Millers is as good today as it ever has been. Amazing how they have continued serving top quality Burgers after so many decades. It is my favorite Hamburger by far......Russ

The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before You Die
Alan Richman traveled 23,750 miles and consumed more than 150,000 calories while taking the measure of 162 burgers across the country—with one goal: to find you the best damned assemblage of ground beef and buns this country serves up

The hamburger is a symbol of everything that makes America great. Straightforward, egalitarian, substantial, and good-natured, it is also a little bloody at times.

It may come big and ungarnished, the East Coast ideal, tender and untroubled by bones or gristle, everything you look for in a filet mignon but seldom find. It may be the West Coast model, swelling with vegetation, brimming with health and well-being, piled high with all that a seed catalog can provide. A great burger, regardless of regional differences, instills a sense of optimism and fulfillment, that all is right at the table or the counter or the woodgrain, screwed-to-the-floor, fast-food booth.

At its best, it eliminates the need for conversation or the urge to glance up at the TV over the bar. If you find yourself eating silently, eyes closed, ignoring everything around you, even the unavoidable burger-joint din, you have come upon a burger that can be pronounced a success.

Here are the 20 best burgers in America

20. Hamburger Sandwich
Louis' Lunch
New Haven, CT

19. Our Famous Burger
Sidetrack Bar and Grill
Ypsilanti, MI

18. Hamburger
Poag Mahone's Carvery and Ale House
Chicago

17. Double Bacon Deluxe with Cheese
Red Mill Burgers
Seattle

16. Hamburger & Fries
Burger Joint
San Francisco

15. Build Your Own Burger
The Counter
Santa Monica

14. Hamburger
J. G. Melon
New York City

13. Cheeseburger
White Manna
Hackensack, NJ

12. Hamburger
Bobcat Bite
Sante Fe

11. Grilled Bistro Burger
Bistro Don Giovanni
Napa, CA

10. Number Five
Keller's Drive-in
Dallas

9. Cheeseburger
Burger Joint, le Parker Meridien Hotel
New York City

8. Hamburger
Miller's Bar
Dearborn, MI

7. Buckhorn Burger
Buckhorn
San Antonio, NM

6. California Burger
Houston's
Santa Monica

5. Kobe Sliders
Barclay Prime
Philadelphia

4. Rouge Burger
Rouge
Philadelphia

3. Not Just a Burger
Spiced Pear Restaurant at the Chanler Hotel
Newport, RI

2. Luger Burger
Peter Luger Steak House
Brooklyn

1. Sirloin Burger
Le Tub
Hollywood, FL

rouxdog
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 20:59:17 (permalink)
long name dining room, Im, gonna give you a little credit. Kellers in Dallas is good. Here in New Mexico, Bobcat is good. The Buckhorn in San Antonio, NM, well, you hit a three baser. The Owl across the road only a two base hit, for a homerun drop into the Outpost in Carrizozo, NM for the finest greenchile cheeseburger. Voted best in Lincoln County for several years.
rouxdog
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 21:00:15 (permalink)
Solly's butter burger in Milwaukee, Wi.
thediningroom
Hamburger
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/26 21:38:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by matty373

In NYC, the best burger I found was a little place hidden off the lobby in Le Parker Meridien Hotel on W. 57th. As far as I know, the place doesn't even have a name so you might have to ask when you get in the lobby. All they serve are burgers and fries. Most people don't even know it exists, but it still always has a line. Cheap (by NY standards), greasy and goooood. They are open until about midnight.

You will find the burger you mention rated #9 on the best burger list in USA the listing is a few posts up from this post.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/27 10:02:59 (permalink)
Surprise:

THE BRICKYARD in Daytona Beach ... My. somewhat well known, favorite.

Yet other burgers with a slight different style are also the best in their category ... Some that come to mind:

STANICH'S in Portland, Oregon ... Two all beef patties, cheese, special sauce, etc. ... It is like a Big Mac, only good (actually, excellent.)

TWO BELLS TAVERN, Seattle ... a rustic burger on a French bread bun.

WHITE CASTLE ... can't compare them to any other.

Oh yes, LOUIS LUNCH in New Haven.

I've been to Red Mill in Seattle and am leaving them off my list.

tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/27 11:09:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

Tamindmik.............. I am SOO disappointed! If I've told twice, I,ve told you once,, the best green chile cheeseburger in New Mexico is to be had at the Outpost in Carrizzo!! Only dos hours from la hacienda!

Rouxdog,

On my honor, the next time I drive through your town, I will go to the Outpost, as well as that ice cream shop nearby (name is eluding me right now). The last two times I drove through Carizozo, I thought of your recommendation, and spotted the restaurant. However, both times I was en route to Denver, and was driving like a bat out of hell.
rouxdog
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/27 13:25:57 (permalink)
Tam, we look forward to your culinary report regarding the Outpost's green chile cheeseburger and fresh cut fries. Then walk south for about two minutes to Roys for that ice cream dessert. A for real "soda fountain" will await you. Roy also can mix you up a fresh Coca Cola as you watch. This site is a historically designated building. Dr. Paden had his office, pharmacy,soda shop,etc. in this building at the start of Carrizozo's early days as a railroad town. Today, the trains roll through without stopping. Now, this little community of about 1000 folks is transforming into art galleries,antique shops, sculptors,writers,woodworkers, painters, etc. No we don't live in town, we ranch west. Yes, I did serve 2 terms as Chamber of Commerce president.
Tam, put that "bat out of hell" thing aside for a few minutes(I'm, guilty of same)stop and enjoy Carrizozo and life's little pleasures.
cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: Best Burger in US 2007/12/28 07:25:32 (permalink)
In southeast Pa I can't find any that are better than 5 Guys.
mattyb15601
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/02 13:30:21 (permalink)
Tessaro's in Pittsburgh is the best. The meat is ground in house and you can get it any way you want for 6.50. You know is good when you have to wait in a line to get a burger.
Atleye
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/02 15:31:55 (permalink)
"I am in Dayton,Ohio and there is a place on North Main ( Benjamins-The Burger Master 1000 N Main St, Dayton, OH )that has awesome double burgers. They are fixed to order, so there is a wait.
I tried the triple burger one time but it was wayyyyy to much meat for me. It's in no way a fancy place by far,but they have great burgers! They also have very good fried chicken & other side items.
Pamela "

While the Burger Master is good, the best burger in Dayton (IMO in Ohio as well) is the Tank Burger at Tank's Bar and Grill on Wayne. They also have good hand cut fries, sandwiches, and chili/soup.

The second best burger in Dayton would be at the Pine Club, but it is more of a steak burger (they use trimming from filets and lamb for the meat).
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/03 21:57:26 (permalink)
Curious how "wheregregeats" found the Brickyard in daytona Beach. Yes, indeed, it is an excellent burger..Best in this area. And "mattyb" is right on the $$ with Tessarro's, too. I had a restaurant in Pittsburgh for several years and use to eat there whereever we got some free time.

But, Bob Cat Bite is in a whole different league. Hope both of you guys can get out there one day. One bite and you'll know what some of the posters here have all said.......
Fkostas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/07 11:02:30 (permalink)
quote:
1. Sirloin Burger
Le Tub
Hollywood, FL

Hype.

I used to go to Le Tub in the late eighties, but since they became the "best" burger, I stopped, for various reasons. The burger is huge, but the best? After reading reviews, and salivating over photos of the GCCB at Bobcat Bites, probably not.

The Billabong Pub in Pembroke Park had better burgers than Le Tub, but sadly, is defunct. One of the 'Bong's Bartenders wants to open her own place, and use the menu.

The King's head Pub in Dania had a very good burger, as does Moonshadow's in Hollywood. Both are at about half the price, come with fries, no stank attitude, and in about fifteen minutes or less.

If you go to Moonshadow's, ask for Randy's "The doctors medicine" hot sauce. Amazing stuff.

Long story short, Le Tub has incredible atmosphere, beautiful view, and very uneven service that borders on offensive. Giant burger, too much so, no side. If you want the great view, Capone's next door has it, along with Chicago style pizza, etc, and they want your business.
pemayeux
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/07 11:17:47 (permalink)
In Jacksboro, TX there is Herd's. They have been around since 1915 - the iron griddle looks like it too...

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/07 15:05:35 (permalink)
Up in Western NY, there were at least two pretty good burder joints on Route 104. One was Orbaker's, out towards Sodus - they also had good milkshakes.

The other was Charlie's, home of the Charlie burger, in Ontario (the town, not the county)

In Seattle, there was a place I went to back in 98 and got this great cheeseburger with applewood smoked bacon and garlic mayo (a bit fancy for me) but could never remember the name of that place.

In Virginia, I haven't really found any good non chain burger joints worth writing home about, at least not that have had consistently good burgers. I need to check out the new place just over the Henrico/Goochland line on US250 - Fast Eddies (where Grandpa Eddies BBQ used to be - different owners though)
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/07 15:18:16 (permalink)
The burger I crave the most is made by Keller's in dallas. The #5 with chili, not the chili burger. It's not on the menu but you can get one. Forget about picking it up. Get a fork.
Joe
N8IWS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/12 22:35:24 (permalink)
quote:

I still live in the area and they are SO overated ! Better burgers are all around the area. Allen Park Bar, Oakwood Bar, Carter's, Giant's, my favorite is still the Royal Red Robin burger. When I make them at home, I use bacon from Dearborn Sausage. If I ever open a place, that would be my place for bacon, no added water, thick sliced and can get it double smoked.

On the level, By the Square,

Dale
a traveling man ...
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/14 19:02:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pamelakrest

I am in Dayton,Ohio and there is a place on North Main ( Benjamins-The Burger Master 1000 N Main St, Dayton, OH )that has awesome double burgers. They are fixed to order, so there is a wait.
Pamela

Thank you Pamela for your post I have lived in the Dayton area for 9 years and have been to Chicken Louies many, many times and never drove the extra block. I had no idea Benjamins existed. What a pleasure it was. Nice people great hamburger, fried chicken was excellent as well as the fries. I will go there regularily as it is the best burger in the area.....Russ
thediningroom
Hamburger
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/14 19:04:54 (permalink)
The Haloburger from Flint, Michigan, this small chain has 11 outlets all located near Flint, Michigan.

http://www.haloburger.com/
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/14 19:39:11 (permalink)
Is there really a Paraburger in Fayetteville, North Carolina?
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Best Burger in US 2008/01/15 17:42:34 (permalink)
Lima Ohio at Kewpees. There is a picture of one in this thread from the one in Racine wis. there use to be more around but I think for the last 30 years there has just been the 3 in Lima Ohio and the one in Racine wis.

I make the 2 and half hr drive from home once a month to have a Kewpee. Man I love that place. When you go remember they still use 50s size drinks so a medium would be a kiddy cup in this day and age.

They make homemade pies also. Nothing better then making the trip up in March for Marchocolate at Kewpees.

If I remember right, Wendys was designed from Kewpees many many years ago.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1