Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Burger

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34
Macdaddy

• Total Posts: 73
Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 6:33 PM (permalink)
The best burger in the country is the "double hot pepper with a side of white" with yellow mustard, white onion, pickle, salt, and pepper. period.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
    RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 6:35 PM (permalink)
    That's interesting, but what is a double hot pepper, what is a side of white, and where would one find this paragon of burgers? Oh, and welcome to Roadfood.

Macdaddy

RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 6:42 PM (permalink)
      Hot Pepper Cheese, side of white cheese ( sharp Cheddar). To be found at the Missoula Club in Missoula Montana.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 7:29 PM (permalink)
        I guess I'll have to work Missoula into my plans now ... it isn't a private "club" I hope.

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
          RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 8:35 PM (permalink)

The best burger in Pittsburgh, PA can be found at Tessaro's in the Bloomfield section of the city.

Zin Chef

• Total Posts: 10
            RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 8:38 PM (permalink)
            The best burger in the U.S. is the KNOCKOUT at the Scenic Drive In in Modesto, Ca. Two beef patties, bacon, American cheese, avocado, chopped jalapeno, mayo, mustard, shredded lettuce, onion, tomato and dill pickle. This is also known as a Gravedigger Burger. The Scenic Drive In is located next to the cemetary. Has anybody else eaten here?

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
              RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 9:01 PM (permalink)
              Best Burger? I see a L O N G thread in the works, here...

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 9:04 PM (permalink)
                I'll bet you are right about that.

Okay ... If we are getting into other best burgers. Here goes:

In the standard, backyard burger on a regular ol' bun category: my avowed favorite: The Brickyard in Daytona Beach, Florida. In the rustic burger on a hearty thick crusted roll: Two Bells Tavern in Seattle. In the Louis' Lunch category: Louis Lunch. In the really good burger in a unique setting category: Grease Wood Flat in Scottsdale. In the what McDonald's wishes they were category: The White Hut in West Springfield, Massachusetts. And in the chains worth going to category: White Castle and Steak and Shake. There was a steamed cheeseburger place in Connecticut I used to go to but it closed ... I'm still on the lookout for the best replacement. I don't know if there is one best burger -- I'm thinking there is one for each category.

Anyhow, besides these, I never eat a burger on the road. (I've been too many of the other chain-favorites, but these are the ones I plan my travel appetites around.)

... Now, as I say, I've gotta get Missoula into my plans. I'm going to pay attention to this thread. (Especially for Pamona, CA ... DC/Fairfax ... Houston and Springfield, MO. All on my travel plans this year.)

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 9:17 PM (permalink)
                  Gregg,
                  Add Farmer Boys in Pomona CA and others in surrounding Inland Empire communities. Their "Farmer Burger" may not be THE BEST but it ranks in the top burgers in the nation.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                    RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 10:49 PM (permalink)
                    I've had that burger at Tessaro's, and it tastes like everyone else's porterhouse steak. It's best on the bun with salt and pepper, put cheese on it if you have to.

Tom

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                      RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 10:51 PM (permalink)
                      A great burger in Wilkes-Barre PA is at Patte's Sports Bar. It's ground on the premises and cooked to order. Too bad they don't have a no smoking section.

Tom

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                        RE: Best Burger Thu, 11/11/04 11:07 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Mosca

I've had that burger at Tessaro's, and it tastes like everyone else's porterhouse steak. It's best on the bun with salt and pepper, put cheese on it if you have to.

Tom

You might check with the chef to see if it is OK to salt your burger.

Tony Bad

RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 12:39 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Macdaddy

The best burger in the country is the "double hot pepper with a side of white" with yellow mustard, white onion, pickle, salt, and pepper. period.

My vote goes to Billy's Giant Burger in Jackson, WY.

http://www.wy-biz.com/cadillacgrille/menu2.html

The White Hut in Springfield, MA is also good, as someone already noted.

Macdaddy

RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 11:37 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I guess I'll have to work Missoula into my plans now ... it isn't a private "club" I hope.

No it's a really old bar downtown. They still serve real milkshakes in the stainless steel containers that they make them in. No Fries, no frills. Just the best burger I have ever had. Whenever I go home I go there at least once.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 11:59 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Macdaddy

quote:
                              Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

No it's a really old bar downtown. They still serve real milkshakes in the stainless steel containers that they make them in. No Fries, no frills. Just the best burger I have ever had. Whenever I go home I go there at least once.
                              I see you live in Seattle. Try Two Bells. You'll ask locals about a good burger and you'll hear Red Mill -- they are not on my list -- I've been there, I think they are overrated. You should check with you cardiologist and try Dick's, what McDonald's wishes they were.

Macdaddy

RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                I will try 2 bells. I think Red Mill is way over-rated. A bit to trendy for me. Dicks rules. I love their tartar sauce.

marky

• Total Posts: 104
                                  RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                  CASELLS in la grill cooks burger on both sides at once ground sirloin homemade mayo ans coleslaw been in all 50 states and never had a better one. hope theyre still open

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                                    RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                    THE BEST BURGER: Is Lone Star's recipe from Mr. Sundancer's "How do you make a juicy burger?" - we just made them AGAIN last night and I will not make them any other way from now on....well, maybe on the grill in summer. Our cholesterol is going to go through the roof this winter!!

The only deviation from her method that I did was sprinkling the outside of the burger with Montreal Hamburger seasoning by McCormick.

Thank you so much, Lone Star, for that recipe. We enjoy it tremendously!! Sue

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                      RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                      www,meerstore.com Meersburger!--100% raised there at the ranch Longhorm beef--fresh ground and COOKED TO ORDER-the way you order it!--by folks that have been doin it since the turn of the LAST century---maybe 1905. Good steaks---chicken fried steak and breakfast too.---and reasonably priced. Like i said--may not be the "best"---but i get MORE then my moneys worth and that aint bad, and its a roadtrip! What more can you ask for!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                        RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 5:34 PM (permalink)
                                        http://www.meersstore.com/ there---thats better---chegk it out and remember it on your way accross western Oklahoma.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                          RE: Best Burger Fri, 11/12/04 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by tiki

http://www.meersstore.com/ there---thats better---chegk it out and remember it on your way accross western Oklahoma.

Thanks, tiki. I've heard of this place before (it may have even been from you). It's bookmarked and on my list of "musts".

Jalama Mama

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: Best Burger Wed, 12/8/04 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                            Anyone with plans to be on the Central Coast of California, who has a extra day in there....try the drive to Western Santa Barbara County. South of Vandenburg Air Force Base is a town of Lompoc, and south of that is a county beach, named Jalama. Off Hwy 1 by 40 minutes or so, it is a lovely drive out to the ocean- and there is a store with a patio and they serve World Famous Jalama Burgers. Nice place to camp, walk and watch the windsurfers. Nothing better on a September afternoon.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3541
                                              RE: Best Burger Wed, 12/8/04 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                              Don't tell anyone about Jalama! The crowds will ruin it! It's so nice and away from it all now.

sayscalled

• Total Posts: 31
                                                RE: Best Burger Fri, 12/10/04 12:46 AM (permalink)
                                                The best restaurant burger I've ever had is at Park Ave BBQ in Tequesta, FL. It's a half-pound of ground beef with the works. So big, I can barely finish it, but as long as it's done the way I like (medium) I always manage to. Always hits the spot when I need a really good burger fix.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                  • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Best Burger Fri, 12/10/04 1:33 AM (permalink)
                                                  BURGER KING! Just Kidding... Around my stomping grounds, I have to vote for Lena Lous in Ada.. Forget ordering frys or onion rings, the burger alone will do you in! Though we have restaurants around here that serve probably better quality burgers, I just cant see dropping 8 to 10 bucks for one. (Vote was decided on price, taste and filling factor).

orzobino

• Total Posts: 49
                                                    • Location: emerald isle, NC
                                                    RE: Best Burger Fri, 12/10/04 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                                    The best chain burger Ive had was at Backyard Burgers....charcoal broiled the old Hardees way when they made hardees Huskies...they should have never stopped that burger it was their downfall....

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                                      RE: Best Burger Fri, 12/10/04 8:31 AM (permalink)
                                                      I totally agree with you on that!I remember wolfing down those Huskies as a kid and I think they cost like 49 cents a piece.But it was the Charcoal taste of the meat and that sauce that I remember the most.Hardees do you hear me!

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
                                                        RE: Best Burger Sun, 12/12/04 9:32 PM (permalink)
                                                        Here's an interesting old store in southern Illinois that has great burgers - nothing fancy (no tables, plates or eating utinsils) but taste real good. It's about 15 miles south of I-70 at Casey Illinois exit - takes some back road driving to find. It was featured on CBS Sunday Morning with Bill Geist. If your traveling to St. Louis you might give it a try - get there noon or earlier.

http://www.clarkcountyil.org/Communities/moonshine.htm

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                          • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                          RE: Best Burger Sun, 12/12/04 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                                          Simple topic. Easy answer. Fry up a mess or two of bacon in an iron skillet. Set bacon aside. Get you some good ground round; sent through the grinder only ONCE. Make some heapin' patties out 'o that. Season with salt & freshly ground (thick grind) black pepper that you have imbedded into meat. Repeat same. Suppliment same bacon grease with added butter. Fry burgers to your taste. Right before done, add a thick slice of Jarlsberg cheese; let same melt. Fix with your choice of toppings, including 'da bacon, fresh sliced 'maters, and Vidalia onions, of course. Bun is optional.

Oh yea & BTW... Need some home fries with that? Might as well...

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
                                                            • Joined: 12/10/2004
                                                            • Location: Celina, OH
                                                            RE: Best Burger Tue, 12/14/04 8:56 AM (permalink)
                                                            If you're ever in Fort Wayne Indiana Powers Hamburgers on S. Harrison St., in the downtown area, has great little mini burgers. Bigger then Whitecastles but loaded with a gob of stranded grilled onions - they taste great - they have a local almost cult like following !

http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com