Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Burgers In Amerca

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9583
Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 1:36 PM (permalink)
According to Epicurious.com, here are the Best Burgers in America. Anyone eaten any of them?

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/burgers_intro?mbid=rss_epilf

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 5:47 PM (permalink)
    sorry, I didn't even go to the link.no reason to. just somebody elses opinion on what they think is the best.
    USELESS

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
      Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 6:33 PM (permalink)
      I haven't been to any of the places listed, but I know several prominent Roadfood members who swear by Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe.

As for the notion that this list constitutes nothing more than somebody else's opinion of what's best, I suppose that's true.  On the other hand, I hadn't heard of any of these places except for Bobcat Bite and Rosebud here in Chicago.  So, on that level, if nothing else, this was a good informational article for me.

Thanks for posting the link.

Buddy

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
        Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 6:42 PM (permalink)
        sk bob

somebody elses opinion on what they think is the best.

USELESS

Oddly enough, much of the reason most folks come here is to read about other folk's opinions on various regional 'best's.

I suppose you have your own reasons for being here, whatever they might be

Question - since you yourself are "somebody else" to everyone else here, is your opinion then also useless to us?

phlmaestro

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 6:43 PM (permalink)
          A lot of the burgers photographed look too big for my taste. I'm more of a thin to medium-sized patty person.

sk bob

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 8:25 PM (permalink)
            TJ Jackson

Question - since you yourself are "somebody else" to everyone else here, is your opinion then also useless to us?

yes I am "somebody else" and my opinion is "useless"
            so is yours
            yes, it is beneficial to some. but when on of these lists comes out every other week by some media du jour it's hard to take seriously.

TJ Jackson

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 8:38 PM (permalink)
              Just seems weird to come to a website filled with the opinions of others when such opinions are considered useless

*shrug*

sk bob

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 8:44 PM (permalink)
                I don't know TJ, I've just been on the defense lately.
                these best ofs just rub me the wrong way for some reason

Tony Bad

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 9:18 PM (permalink)
                  sk bob

I don't know TJ, I've just been on the defense lately.
                  these best ofs just rub me the wrong way for some reason

I hear you Bob...too damn many of them these days. Seems like a cheap way to fill pages.

Foodbme

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Sun, 07/26/09 11:20 PM (permalink)
                    BuddyRoadhouse

I haven't been to any of the places listed, but I know several prominent Roadfood members who swear by Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe.

As for the notion that this list constitutes nothing more than somebody else's opinion of what's best, I suppose that's true.  On the other hand, I hadn't heard of any of these places except for Bobcat Bite and Rosebud here in Chicago.  So, on that level, if nothing else, this was a good informational article for me.

Thanks for posting the link.

Buddy

Thanks Buddy,
                    I knew when I posted it, it would bring out all the "Best Of" Haters. Just like the "Best Of" Haters, everyone has opinions. Opinions are like Rear Ends - Everyone has one - Some are prettier than others, and some of them stink!
                    Everyone should follow your fine example and keep an open mind when viewing these lists. You don't necessarily need to agree with them, and you might have a place that you think deserves to be on the list. Nevertheless, it'all part of the Elightenment Process to at least look at the list and take away something positive from it. That's what ENLIGHTENED, TRUE ROADFOODER'S, like you Sir, do! All of you other Negative, "Best Of" Bashers become enlightened, gather in a circle, hold hands and sing "Koombaya".

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                      Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 1:20 AM (permalink)
                      The best burgers and onion rings come from a small restaurant, named Grease, in West Palm Beach, Fl.

Trust me. 

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                        Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 1:30 AM (permalink)
                        The only burger on the Epicurious list I'd be interested in eating is the one from Bobcat Bite. I've not been there but, one day........

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                          Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 7:17 AM (permalink)
                          How'd I know they'd choose Port of Call in New Orleans?

I just don't understand the appeal. They're good, I grant you, but IMO, not one of the best in the U.S.

I've had burgers in lots of different places, and I still think Fred's, "World's Best Burgers" in Burlington, WI hold the title for me.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                            Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 8:36 AM (permalink)
                            I think what brings out the "'Best of' Haters" is the hubris of the media outlet that promulgates the list.

The Haters realize on some level that it would cost a lot of money to perform a scientifically-valid study.

The last Epicurious.com list someone posted a link to here was for best retail hot dogs in America. There were lots of complaints that a lot of highly regarded regional brands were not even mentioned. Then, I took the Epicurious list and proved that the brands were all sold in the New York City Metro area. So the guy who lives around the corner from the Usinger plant in Milwaukee had every right to call that list useless.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
                              Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 9:06 AM (permalink)
                              X1

How'd I know they'd choose Port of Call in New Orleans?

I just don't understand the appeal. They're good, I grant you, but IMO, not one of the best in the U.S.

I've had burgers in lots of different places, and I still think Fred's, "World's Best Burgers" in Burlington, WI hold the title for me.

It is just another cherry pick big city flyover list compiled from food critics. These kind of things have to be done periodically as a way to fill pages. Many of them probably come from food critics that had to scratch their heads to come up with a recommendation, or which one looked most impressive in a photo, or picked the one with the most B...S... description. The burgers are all probably good but you could ask 12 other food critics and get a completely different list and repeat that again another dozen times for another 100 good burgers. Take it for what its worth as a reference shot in time, but don't take it for gospel. "Best" gets more attention than an article that would say "good".

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                                Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                I swear, I'm gonna write an article entitled "Where To Get Really Good Burgers In Towns You've Never Heard Of".

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                  Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                  The only place on this list that I've ever heard of before is Bobcat Bite, and their green chile cheeseburger is high on my list of foods that I want to try.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                    Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Mon, 07/27/09 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                    X1

I swear, I'm gonna write an article entitled "Where To Get Really Good Burgers In Towns You've Never Heard Of".

Already done.

grmpl

• Total Posts: 5
                                      Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Wed, 07/29/09 8:00 AM (permalink)
                                      I haven't tried any of those but have devoured a Bubba Burger.  It is an odd, but extremely tasty, concoction.  Eureka, MT is REMOTE; the Bubba may make it worth the drive!

"

"Bubba Burger" from The Cutting Board in Eureka, Montana voted best in nation - Goes 'Live! with Regis and Kelly'

June 30, 2009
                                      James Monroe thought that the ribs he makes at The Cutting Board in Eureka were what made his restaurant locally famous. As it turns out, it's his Bubba Burger that has put him on the national map. Monroe's slapdash creation — a mesquite-fired patty topped with spicy Cajun sausage, jumbo shrimp, chipotle sauce and cheddar cheese — won honors as best burger in the Ultimate Hometown Grill Off on ABC's "Live! with Regis and Kelly."

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                                        Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Wed, 07/29/09 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                        I could make a list of best ANYTHING by surfing the web. What do you want; best crabcakes? Best stationery stores? Best hammers? You want it, I'll Google and compile it, and post it.... for $10.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                          Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Wed, 07/29/09 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                          grmpl

I haven't tried any of those but have devoured a Bubba Burger.  It is an odd, but extremely tasty, concoction.  Eureka, MT is REMOTE; the Bubba may make it worth the drive!

"

"Bubba Burger" from The Cutting Board in Eureka, Montana voted best in nation - Goes 'Live! with Regis and Kelly'

June 30, 2009
                                          James Monroe thought that the ribs he makes at The Cutting Board in Eureka were what made his restaurant locally famous. As it turns out, it's his Bubba Burger that has put him on the national map. Monroe's slapdash creation — a mesquite-fired patty topped with spicy Cajun sausage, jumbo shrimp, chipotle sauce and cheddar cheese — won honors as best burger in the Ultimate Hometown Grill Off on ABC's "Live! with Regis and Kelly."

hmmm. That is one weird combination. Shrimp?

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
                                            Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Wed, 07/29/09 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                            Any burger that costs more than five bucks is not a burger. 

With the possible exception of the Bobcat Cafe, all the places listed are aspiring more to "fine dining" than to "burger joints".

TJ Jackson

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Wed, 07/29/09 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                              MetroplexJim

what an odd definition.

do you adjust for inflation, or does a burger that costs 4.99 this year suddenly become "not a burger" when the shop owner raises the price to 5.25, despite no other changes made to said burger?

Further, I checked the menu at BobCat Bite (http://www.bobcatbite.com/menu.html) and they list burgers but not one of them are under 5.00.  My gosh, how can they call what they are serving a "burger" at that price?
                                              <message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 07/29/09 2:05 PM>

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Wed, 07/29/09 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                                MetroplexJim

With the possible exception of the Bobcat Cafe, all the places listed are aspiring more to "fine dining" than to "burger joints".

Jim, I will agree with you that any burger that sells today for more than $5.00 in the Metroplex is not simply a burger anymore. The problem is that once you get away from the burger chains employing kids for help, burger prices vary quite a bit around the county, and mirror the general cost of dining out in an area. Last time I was in there, a Manhattan supermarket owned by A&P wanted $4.39 a pound for no-name, commodity supermarket ground round, not even ground fresh on site. Also, the price is greater if there is table service at the burger place.

Granted, you can get a small cheeseburger for $4.75 at The Shake Shack in Madison Square Park, but this is a take-out operation. Great during a thunderstorm, like just right now. A nearby local burger joint
                                                http://www.newyorkburgerco.com/menu.html
                                                that is staffed by kids with no waiter service now wants $6.50 for a 6 ounce burger with lettuce and tomatoes. The only thing fancy is a brioche-style bun. But, local commercial foodservice buns do not hold up well to 6 ounce burgers. Prices at other local places such as Irish bars are about the same. The next thing below this price point is restaurants serving frozen foodservice patties.
                                                Can we say the equivalent of a five dollar burger in the Metroplex?
                                                <message edited by David_NYC on Wed, 07/29/09 4:03 PM>

Foodbme

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Thu, 07/30/09 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                                  MetroplexJim

Obviously, you've lived a very sheltered life in McKinney, TX. You can't compare prices in your world with prices in Major Cities. It's like comparing Apples & Oranges. A $5 burger in McKinney may be considered outrageous, while a $5 burger in NYC, Chicago, LA might be considered a Bargain!
                                                  You need to get out into the rest of the "Real World"!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                    Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Thu, 07/30/09 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    Anyone been to Burger Bar in Vegas? I am hoping to make a stop there on my next trip to LV.
                                                    Joe

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                      Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Thu, 07/30/09 10:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      Foodbme

MetroplexJim

Obviously, you've lived a very sheltered life in McKinney, TX. You can't compare prices in your world with prices in Major Cities. It's like comparing Apples & Oranges. A $5 burger in McKinney may be considered outrageous, while a $5 burger in NYC, Chicago, LA might be considered a Bargain!
                                                      You need to get out into the rest of the "Real World"!

I have seen the real world and am very happy where we are now - even though we sometimes have to do without some of the food we dearly love - there are many offsets and frankly living in the boonies beats the hell out of the big cities - bottom line - it of course pays to be retired and not have to commute to work daily.  Getting by with one car now.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                        Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Thu, 07/30/09 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                                        A $5 burger in Chicago? Hey Maw, come quick!... they're givin' burgers away!  

viking1470

• Total Posts: 5
                                                          • Location: Newtown, CT
                                                          Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Fri, 07/31/09 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                                          route 34 - Monore/Newtown (CT) border - Lake Zoar Drive In, try the ZOAR Burger,
                                                          u'll always want another one after u finish the first one -- but look out, damn things are messy.. wear old clothes.

DnoVox

Re:Best Burgers In Amerca Fri, 07/31/09 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                            You can't have a genuine Top Burger list until you've tried the open-flame burger cooked at Ring's Bar in Plain, WI.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com