The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Cheese Sammich

Big_Ted

• Total Posts: 186
Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 3:32 AM (permalink)
I'm going to mention Baumgartner's in Monroe, Wisconsin, about 10 minutes from the Illinois border. It's in the town square and that town might sound familiar, as it's the home of Cheese Days every other year. First, I'll admit I almost always get the limburger and onion, which is called "The Swiss Apple". It stinks like feet but damn, it tastes seriously good. They have a high turn-around on cheese so the limburger is always creamy and buttery. Some folks like their limburger with braunschweiger but to me, that takes away from the stinky feet-cheese.
This is the only place I know of where you can get seriously aged cheddar and swiss so sharp it raises your hair before melting in your mouth.
They have a lot of local beers on tap and basically, the place is a bar. But, this is a classy local place for Packer fans. It's very traditional in a 1950's sort of way.
Personally, I've always thought a cheese sandwich (sammich) should always be cold instead of grilled. Grilled cheese has its place, but it's for soft cheese instead of a good, stinky cheese.

So, what's everybody else's favorite?

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
    RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 7:00 AM (permalink)
    Big_Ted,
    Baumgartner's is one of my favorite stops in the entire state. Monroe is having the Berghoff Blues Festival September 15th. Besides the great beer, they will have cheese in many forms available and the fest is headlined by the great James Cotten; it doesn't get much better than that!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
      RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 12:51 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Big_Ted

I'm going to mention Baumgartner's in Monroe, Wisconsin, about 10 minutes from the Illinois border. It's in the town square and that town might sound familiar, as it's the home of Cheese Days every other year.
      WHAT?!? Every other year??? So no Cheese Days this year? I had my taste buds all set for later this summer and now you tell me I've got to put it on hold for another 14 months? Well that just stinks! Stinks worse than a Baumgartner's Limburger sandwich with extra onions (but, as stated above, tastes way better than it smells).

Oh well, I'll just have to find my fried cheese curds somewhere else this summer. Or, I guess we could just make a trip to Monroe for no particular reason, just to hang out. Who's up for our own private Cheese Days? Pick a weekend in September and we all get together and paint Monroe red!

Buddy

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
        RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 1:49 PM (permalink)
        The Berghoff Blues Festival alternates yearly with the Cheese Festival. There is a small free blues stage during Cheese Days but that's an entirely different animal, not to mention location.
        Trivia question.
        What is the nickname of the local high school sports team?
        Why the Cheesemakers of course!

I think Green County is Wisconsin's prettiest, although those living near the Lake (Lake Michigan, for those out of Staters) will argue otherwise. It certainly has more than its share of Swiss-like terrain, cheese, great bakeries and sausagemakers.
        Buddy, I think you should come for the fest in September http://www.berghoffbeer.com/berghoffandblues/ as Baumgartners is only maybe a 5 or 6 block walk. The Swiss Colony Outlet store and Roth Kase's Alp and Dell Cheese Outlet are both worth a visit alone. (Abe and others, you too)

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 1:57 PM (permalink)
          I love that area, don't forget Mt. Horeb and the Mustard Museum! There is someone here who hasn't posted in awhile named Kirsby who owns a tavern in New Glarus, Green County could make a great Roadfood meet up!

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1059
            RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 2:01 PM (permalink)
            I became a cheese fanatic when I spent six months in the UK. Their stilton is out of this universe. Ithink that the processing differences between the US and them makes all the difference. I ate at a place in Cheddar Gorge (where they used to age cheese in the caves) and it was truely awesome. I really got spoiled over there but your limberger sounds like something I could get to like.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
              RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 2:13 PM (permalink)
              MFL, if the Bluesfest is only held on Saturday the 15th, I will be at Burt's slinging pizza. I'm taking practically the whole summer off to tend to Barbecue Business and can't afford to be away any more weekends. If the fest were going on Sunday as well I would happily make the trip.

Once again though, I make the proposal for a private meet up one Sunday in September in Monroe.

Buddy

Kirsby

• Total Posts: 88
                RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 2:23 PM (permalink)
                I'm still here! I've been lurking, just haven't had time to post lately. Count me in for a roadfood meeting in Sept. Hubby and I are leaving for a trip to the REAL Switzerland on Mon. Stay tuned to the Trip Reports forum for a full report when we return.

BTW, the high school mascot is the Cheesemakers, not the Cheesemen.

-Kris
                Class of '90

Big_Ted

• Total Posts: 186
                  RE: Best Cheese Sammich Thu, 07/5/07 4:33 PM (permalink)
                  One of these days, I'm going to have to get my hands on some authentic UK stilton cheese. I've heard that our stilton just doesn't get the job done.

Nothing beats eating a Swiss Apple and watching the Packers on Sunday. Unless, it's Da Bears, of course!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com