Best Chilli for Frito Pie?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
2005/01/26 19:53:09 (permalink)

Best Chilli for Frito Pie?

Is there an "authentic" way of making Frito Pie? A preferred type of Chilli? Beans or no beans? With cheese?

43 Replies Related Threads

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/01/26 20:47:33 (permalink)
    Saint Matt,

As to Frito Pie ... I couldn't tell ya, but your new around here & you may not know that when you ask that loaded question Chili... beans or no beans?? You need to be given fair warnin'...duck before the fuedin' between the Texans & the Northeners begins!!
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/01/26 21:01:52 (permalink)
    I make a politically correct type of frito pie I make up some WV hot dog chili, put a couple large dollops of refried beans as another layer and a blend of cheeses on the top.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/01/26 21:38:47 (permalink)
    A can of Hormel- Hot, no beans works well.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/01/27 20:48:28 (permalink)
    I'd say whatever chili you like... As long as it's not too watery...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/01/27 21:04:51 (permalink)
    Don't pay any attention to Redtressed when it comes to chili. She's from West Virginia where they have no idea what chili might be. The fact is, ocdreamr is right on the mark. Nothing with beans is chili, and any chili is fine for a Frito pie. Just make sure you don't take the chili out of the Fritos bag before you pour on the chili.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 08:16:53 (permalink)
    *wonders if Stagg chili is ok to make Frito pie with as apart from making from scratch this is the only tinned chili we get in the UK *

* apart from some stores own brand types which are really horrible *

Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 08:50:24 (permalink)
    If I remember the Woolworths/Five and Dime's chile correctly, it had no beans at all, the red chile was pretty spicy and meaty way back when I had a frito pie there...it apparently has been tamed down for the tourists now. Sadly the link doesn't show the chile for the cheese. Maybe someone who has been there more recently can enlighten us.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1381&RefID=1381

Here's a recipe I have yet to try but it's in the vein yer lookin for.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_5_208/ai_85700443

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 09:28:12 (permalink)
    I seem to remember that the Woolworth's that used to be on the Plaza in Santa Fe, New Mexico served their Frito Pie in the chip bag, just split the bag open and put the chili on top. I also think they claimed to have invented the Frito pie.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 11:19:54 (permalink)
    Wolf Brand Chili! Except if you live in the UK - then Staggs is OK.

The important thing is assembly. Buy the little bags of Fritos and open the top. Pour on the chili, top with minced onions, cheese and jalapenos if desired. If no little bags of Fritos are available, a paper "boat" is acceptable. Only store-bought chili (NO BEANS!!!!) is appropriate.

Eat with a spoon and lots of napkins.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 12:54:25 (permalink)
    All well and good, but there's no Wolf Brand in the northeast US, either. Which means I haven't had a decent Frito pie in three years.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 17:17:42 (permalink)
    Lucky, they had it on sale at Krogers last week - 10 cans for 10 bucks.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/01 20:59:22 (permalink)
    Still doesn't help me. The nearest Krogers is several hundred miles away.
    mimsy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/02 02:29:24 (permalink)
    Not to start any turf wars over chili with beans or not..however being a california girl I never had chili without beans, I would feel cheated without them. I like to make my own chili, it is easy,tasty and quick and it will rival any in the can you can name..unless it HAS to be without beans..<G>.

I use Ranch style beans, La Victoria or Pace salsa, ground beef seasoned and cooked with cumin,chili and garlic powder. Depending on the amount you need to make determines how many cans or the amount of salsa you use. Pour enough salsa in to make it chili-like ( i know such intelligent cooking terms)If you need, add extra beans,pinto,red or kidney beans. Sometimes I add a tsp. of sugar, and some chopped bell pepper and gr.chilies. Simmer 30 mins and your ready for Frito Boats as I grew to know them as. Of course it tastes better the next day but it better than Dennisons even for a quick lunch or dinner right after making it. Try it I bet you'll like it.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/02 07:37:31 (permalink)
    I like Armour chili, no beans. (I don't know that it's any better than any other sort, but it was a great hangover cure 40 years ago!) Then follow Lone Star's recipe.
    Michelle Wiedemann
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/10 15:18:08 (permalink)
    I love the new Cambells, or the bush's, they are pretty good for a not homeade chili in fact the cambell's you can get sirloin and beans as well as the beef and beans.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/10 15:30:01 (permalink)
    Beans?
    Michelle Wiedemann
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/10 19:33:18 (permalink)
    What do you mean by beans? You mean bush's? If you mean Bush's the jar that I have in front of me is called "bush's best homestyle chili" It is glass 15 oz jar original no beans. THe label also says new. Maybe it isn't out at all the stores yet? Then I have a "new" Campbell's chuncky chili with beans sizzlin' steak in a 1pound 3 oz can. It says it is grilled steak chili with beans. At my Pick n' save near me these have been out for about 2 months. They are really yummy, you wouldn't have thought that bush's that has only made beans would ever come out with chili, but it is really quite good.
    Michelle Wiedemann
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/02/10 19:38:39 (permalink)
    Here's the picture of the cans.

Trust me, they *do* exist.

veg-o-matic
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/03/02 11:54:04 (permalink)
    Okay, now I'm confused. I thought chili on top of Fritos in the bag was called a "Walkaround" and chili pie was a different animal entirely?

veg the confused
    EboniLW
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/05/05 14:01:29 (permalink)
    The Top Secret Recipes cookbook has a recipe for Tommy's World Famous Chili...try that on some of your fritos, and you'll never eat canned chili again.

Eb
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/05/05 14:25:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by veg-o-matic

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought chili on top of Fritos in the bag was called a "Walkaround" and chili pie was a different animal entirely?

veg the confused

No, some places have used that terminology -- I've been to county fairs where a walkaround was the canonical bag-o-Fritos and Frito pie was a baked casserole with the same ingredients. To be honest, the latter is the Frito pie I prefer, and it's the one I make at home.

Man, I could murder a Frito pie right about now...
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/05/05 16:34:18 (permalink)
    A can of hormel hot chili with added meat and heat, a bag of frito's and a huge handful of shredded cheddar..a quick trip through the nucalater...almost as good as sonic!! alternativly I use chili the wife brings home from work with a couple dashes of el yucatano
    amberwave
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/12/07 22:04:06 (permalink)
    We have used the XLNT brand chile for years and years , when we were kids back in the early 60's my mom would get Frito Pie from the local hamburger place we were to little to eat one all by our selves , we would get a bite of her's thou...oh my gosh ...it was sooo good ...we make it all the time now...I make chile with the XLNT brand then the next day I make the Frito Pie with left over chile...and I do put beans in it also...got to go and make me some now with lots of cheese on the top .... [|)]
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/12/07 23:33:33 (permalink)
    Hank and Peggy Hill swear by Wolf Brand Chili. So, the next time you're making cartoon chili...
    tartlett
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/12/07 23:51:18 (permalink)
    I agree .Wolfes Chili with no beans.And sometimes instead of corn chips ,I will use crumbled up mex cornbread in between layers.But then it wouldn,t be a frito pie would it.but then who cares,right?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2005/12/10 06:27:53 (permalink)
    "Damn it boy! Chili ain't got no damn beans in it!"
    Lee Shell circa 1968. A Texas native and lifelong resident, also my oldest Uncle, yelled to me while visiting the Calif. family at Granny Shell's house in Clovis. He was cooking a pot of chili at the time and
    I asked; "Where are the beans?"

Me, I prefer my own chili beans using Ranch style beans over original skinny Fritos and grated cheddar cheese.

I find Hormel, Armour and Stagg nasty and refuse to buy them for any reason. Bush's are OK and will do in a crisis.

MikeS.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2010/11/12 06:19:14 (permalink)
    Excellent links above from Green_Chile...

For all Fritos fans, this is excerpted from a terrific NPR radio feature (link below)…

“According to corporate lore, Fritos founder Charles Elmer Doolin's mother, Daisy Doolin, invented the immortal Frito pie not long after her boys created Fritos. At its heart, Frito pie is a simple concoction. In its primal form, even a child could make it.  

“Like this: Heat a can of Wolf Brand Chili with beef, then take a small bag of Fritos, slit the bag open, and pour chili on top of the Fritos. Then eat it with a spoon right out of the bag as you walk around the State Fair of Texas or wherever you happen to be.

“Some people pile on sour cream or jalapenos, too, although that begins to be something of a burden for one little Frito bag to bear. You might even have to move the bag to a plate.”

Official Fritos Chili Pie Casserole

3 cups Fritos corn chips
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 can (2 cups) chili
    1 cup grated American cheese

Place 2 cups of Fritos corn chips in a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange chopped onion and half of the grated cheese on top. Pour chili over onion and cheese. Top with remaining Fritos corn chips and grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15377830

Can't get Wolf Brand Chili here, and I know don't what it tastes like, so I use my favorite, Vietti.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2010/11/12 17:27:33 (permalink)
    How did I miss this thread??? Well, it was hiding back at the begining of the recipes sectio... maybe. It coulda been move to there from the Chili section? But I went all the way back in the Chili section when I first came here in 2005. Anyway...;

Warning... Long Post!

Mellow, your post almost tells the real story. And you won't hear the real story unless I posted it here, or at other forums. Anyway, you can believe it or not. Hmm, maybe I need to contact Ripply's about this? Anyway again;

My Grandfather was a mostly pay phone repairman, for what he always called "Mother Bell", for the last 20 yrs. or so before he retired. His first job was digging post holes for telephone poles. He was born in 1900 and moved to Dallas, from Oklahoma, in 1920.  They were always trying to promote him but he said "nope! I'm happy with what I'm doing". He told me that he had seen many fellow Ma Bell employees get promoted just to get in over their head and become unhappy. Anyway (No.4)... :

My Pawpaw was a BIG fan of Wolf Brand Chili. There was always a can heating on the grill when he cooked hot dogs, or almost anything. I do not remember life before eating Wolf Brand and Frito Chili Pie made w/ Wolf.

His travels for Ma Bell caused him to know ALL the best places to have lunch and he knew LOTSA folks. He told me, as a child, that he knew the lady who's sons invented Fritos. So... "Big Deal!" I thought as a kid.

Many years later, while eating some Frito Pie w/ my Pawpaw, he told me that the lady, who's sons invented Fritos,  had given him some Fritos to try out before they actually started selling them. He liked them, and while eating some he got the idea to eat them, instead of saltine crackers, w/ his Wolf chili. He told me he got the idea to put some chili on top of the Fritos. But, he didn't like that idea because the Fritos became soggy. So... he would do some Wolf, some chopped onions, and some "rat" cheese, and then top things off w/ the Fritos. That is the way I always ate Frito Pie w/ my Pawpaw but... I would get fussed at for stirring my Fritos in w/ the chili, along w/ the cheese and onions, cause I kinda liked em soggy. And the cheese would melt and the onions would get softer.

Anyway (No. 5), my Pawpaw gave up on trying to talk some sense into me about those lousy soggy Fritos and now tells me that he told the lady, who had given him his first Fritos, about them getting soggy if you put chili over them. But that they were good to eat w/ chili, and that they were also good as long as you put them on top. He said that she made some for her sons, and that they that they liked he idea, but agreed that the chili should be put on top of their Fritos. Well... again I thought "Big Deal!". Interesting story but who cares. Except by then I did think it was kinda neat that he knew the lady who's sons invented Fritos. But, I thought everyone ate Wolf Brand Chili. And that they ether ate it w/ crackers of Fritos. And... that maybe I was the only one who liked to stir them in w/ my chili so they would get kinda soggy.

It did not dawn on me till years later, after my PawPaw had passed on, that he had invented the Frito Pie. Except... that some crazy folks like me, thought the chili should maybe be on top. And that everyone didn't eat Wolf Brand Chili. And that many people didn't know to eat Fritos w/ their chili. And, that there were some crazy folks who even ate cornbread w/ chili. Didn't they know that cornbread was to eat w/ pinto and butter beans? And the crazyest thing I had heard was that some folks didn't even know to pour the Fritos out of the bag. And they would just put chili right in the bag on top of the Fritos.

It was not untill many years later that a walk around chili pie was sold at the State Fair of Texas. I had heard that someone got this idea at a baseball game. I thought it was a bad idea because the bag got to hot. But, folks were buying it so maybe they just didn't care that the bag got hot. You sure could NOT walk around w/ a Frito Chili Pie the way most folks in Texas made it. So, this way folks could walk around eating Chili Pie at the fair.

Long story short... my Grandfather Charles Leroy "Roy" Newton (just in case some of my long lost realiteves read this) invented the Frito Chili Pie. But... he invented it upside down! But... he alsways thought that folks who liked soggy fritos, including me, were kinda strange.

Anyway (No.6);

Believe it or not!
    Joe

Oh, I might be able to find a few wittnesses who are still alive. But... why would I want to?

Important Edit! My Grandfather never ate a can of Wolf Brand Chili that contained beens! But he did not look down on those who did. But, he never the less thought that beans, eatin with cornbread, should be a main dish all their own.

And, I have mentioned this Frito Pie deal a few times around here, in years gone by, but never botherd to tell the whole story. Who would believe it anyway?

Another Edit; At this point in my life I guess I could quote Rhett Butler... but I won't.
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/11/13 13:12:08
    jimboking
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best Chilli for Frito Pie? 2010/11/13 08:45:51 (permalink)
    SOGGY FRITOS CURE!

As PapaJoe8's brother, I feel I owe him this response.  To keep the Fritos crispy, you have to scatter them out on a cookie sheet and pre-bake them before you mix them with the chili.  You'll have to experiment to figger out how long, but don't kill 'em.

Jeannine King used to do that, and then made chili pie casserole-style.  She used "Beanless" Wolf Brand Chili.  

"Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?.......... Well that's too long!" 

Jimbo
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1