The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 93
Author Message
Doatsie82

  • Total Posts: 205
  • Joined: 8/15/2006
  • Location: San Diego, CA
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Mon, 03/3/08 5:20 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Anne1963

I remember a place that was supreme in the 70s --Lee's Hawaiian Islander--I think it was maybe in Clifton or Lyndhurst. I think they had a fire and closed some years back, but that was the standard by which I judged all Asian food through my early adult life. Now I just enjoy the memories of our family feasts there, but can't recall much about the food.


Hey Annie, Lee's was in Lyndhurst. Another great place I remember from childhood that I can't vouch for as an adult! Doatsie
 
#31
    johnnyblanco

    • Total Posts: 22
    • Joined: 3/20/2008
    • Location: west sacramento, CA
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Thu, 03/20/08 2:10 PM (permalink)
    I used to live in NJ (living in West Sacramento , CA and it's HARD to get good chinese out here.. hell these people don't know what the heck Duck Sauce is out here! HELP! :D Anyway, there was a place out in the middle of nowhere called New Chinese Kitchen.. and no I have no idea where it is all I can remember from my childhood is that it was off a main route or something like that but it was in the middle of nowhere out past delicious orchards was / is I guess it's off route 18 in the colts neck area.. can't confirm it but if it's still there.. go.. the food was GREAT.
     
    #32
      leethebard

      • Total Posts: 6071
      • Joined: 8/16/2007
      • Location: brick, NJ
      RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Thu, 03/20/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
      Been to Delicious Orchards often...haven't seen this place!
       
      #33
        johnnyblanco

        • Total Posts: 22
        • Joined: 3/20/2008
        • Location: west sacramento, CA
        RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Thu, 03/20/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by leethebard

        Been to Delicious Orchards often...haven't seen this place!


        See that's just it.. there's a main drag you have to turn down to get to delicious orchards (Rt. 18 maybe? but.. I dunno..) hmm.. let me see something .. checks maps.. OK! I might be right or wrong.. but I think it's off rt 35. I remember the title was new chinese or chinese kitchen or something to that effect.
         
        #34
          johnnyblanco

          • Total Posts: 22
          • Joined: 3/20/2008
          • Location: west sacramento, CA
          RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Thu, 03/20/08 2:37 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by johnnyblanco

          quote:
          Originally posted by leethebard

          Been to Delicious Orchards often...haven't seen this place!


          See that's just it.. there's a main drag you have to turn down to get to delicious orchards (Rt. 18 maybe? but.. I dunno..) hmm.. let me see something .. checks maps.. OK! I might be right or wrong.. but I think it's off rt 35. I remember the title was new chinese or chinese kitchen or something to that effect.


          Aha! I think that's it.. Crown Palace..

          Crown Palace - Chinese Restaurant
          1285 State Route 35
          Middletown, NJ 07748
           
          #35
            Baah Ben

            • Total Posts: 3026
            • Joined: 11/30/2001
            • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
            RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Tue, 03/25/08 8:20 PM (permalink)
            Jerzeybard.....The Italian restaurant was on West Side Avenue, but I do not recall that being the name. I was working there from 1973-1977. I normally have a great memory for totalyl irrelevant things, but the name of that Italian restaurant escapes me.

            I don't know if you know this but the State took over the entire Jersey City school system I once worked for in Jersey city. In the late 80's beause of really bad things (politics) and students not getting a proper education. They still run it today!
             
            #36
              sgt-at-arms

              • Total Posts: 54
              • Joined: 7/25/2007
              • Location: Virginia Beach, VA
              RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 1:13 AM (permalink)
              Singapore at 182 Orlando Drive in Raritan is pretty good, I've only been there once but enjoyed myself. Its mostly Singapore and Malaysian Cuisine, not Polynesian but the styles are a touch similiar. It is definatley traditional as some of the menu items might make western stomachs a bit skiddish. My wife wasnt impressed with it (since the food made her green) but being more of a traveler I was impressed. I just relocated back to NJ for an extended time and I will certainly go back and eat again at Singapore.
               
              #37
                leethebard

                • Total Posts: 6071
                • Joined: 8/16/2007
                • Location: brick, NJ
                RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 9:49 AM (permalink)
                Johnny, thanks for the info...I'll be on the lookout for it!!!!!
                 
                #38
                  fattybomatty

                  • Total Posts: 1017
                  • Joined: 4/10/2008
                  • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                  RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 11:05 AM (permalink)
                  I like Jade Isle in Scotch Plains and there's another place in greenbrook on Rt 22 next to outback that I heard is good, but I can't remember the name.

                  Next time you go to a chinese restaurant (not takeout one you sit down at) ask for the Mayonnaise Shrimp. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's authentic chinese cuisine
                   
                  #39
                    jerzeydawg

                    • Total Posts: 167
                    • Joined: 5/27/2007
                    • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 6:20 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by fattybomatty

                    I like Jade Isle in Scotch Plains and there's another place in greenbrook on Rt 22 next to outback that I heard is good, but I can't remember the name.

                    Next time you go to a chinese restaurant (not takeout one you sit down at) ask for the Mayonnaise Shrimp. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's authentic chinese cuisine



                    Hello neighbor. I live in Scotch Plains. The food at Jade Isle is really good except that it gives me and the wife an MSG hangover afterwards.

                    There's a place on Inmann Ave in Edison Called Treasure Garden. One side is a cocktail lounge with a bar and tables and the other is strictly a restaurant. I recommend sitting in the cocktail lounge as you get to watch TV. The food is excellent. I always get the Chicken with mushrooms in oyster sauce. It's excellent and they serve really big portions so you can take home leftovers
                     
                    #40
                      fattybomatty

                      • Total Posts: 1017
                      • Joined: 4/10/2008
                      • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                      RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 7:37 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by fattybomatty

                      I like Jade Isle in Scotch Plains and there's another place in greenbrook on Rt 22 next to outback that I heard is good, but I can't remember the name.

                      Next time you go to a chinese restaurant (not takeout one you sit down at) ask for the Mayonnaise Shrimp. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's authentic chinese cuisine



                      Hello neighbor. I live in Scotch Plains. The food at Jade Isle is really good except that it gives me and the wife an MSG hangover afterwards.

                      There's a place on Inmann Ave in Edison Called Treasure Garden. One side is a cocktail lounge with a bar and tables and the other is strictly a restaurant. I recommend sitting in the cocktail lounge as you get to watch TV. The food is excellent. I always get the Chicken with mushrooms in oyster sauce. It's excellent and they serve really big portions so you can take home leftovers


                      I'll have to check that place out. I do recommend the mayonnaise shrimp at Jade Isle. It's not on the regular menu, it is on the actual chinese menu so you just have to say you'll have the mayonnaise shrimp. It comes with broccoli and nuts (pecans I believe). My question is why doesn't Jade isle clean up the outside of the place?
                       
                      #41
                        jerzeydawg

                        • Total Posts: 167
                        • Joined: 5/27/2007
                        • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                        RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 7:52 PM (permalink)
                        I'm on my way to Treasure Garden now.

                        I'll let everyone know how it goes.
                         
                        #42
                          jerzeydawg

                          • Total Posts: 167
                          • Joined: 5/27/2007
                          • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                          RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 04/25/08 9:27 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by fattybomatty

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by fattybomatty

                          I like Jade Isle in Scotch Plains and there's another place in greenbrook on Rt 22 next to outback that I heard is good, but I can't remember the name.

                          Next time you go to a chinese restaurant (not takeout one you sit down at) ask for the Mayonnaise Shrimp. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's authentic chinese cuisine



                          I dont eat shrimp believe it or not.. Or any sea food for that matter.

                          I just got back from Treasure Garden in Edison . I spent 10 minutes looking at the menu and ended up ordering the same dish as always. It was good accept i think i''m getting tired of it. I should hve ordered something spicy. Oh well, there's always next time.

                          Hello neighbor. I live in Scotch Plains. The food at Jade Isle is really good except that it gives me and the wife an MSG hangover afterwards.

                          There's a place on Inmann Ave in Edison Called Treasure Garden. One side is a cocktail lounge with a bar and tables and the other is strictly a restaurant. I recommend sitting in the cocktail lounge as you get to watch TV. The food is excellent. I always get the Chicken with mushrooms in oyster sauce. It's excellent and they serve really big portions so you can take home leftovers


                          I'll have to check that place out. I do recommend the mayonnaise shrimp at Jade Isle. It's not on the regular menu, it is on the actual chinese menu so you just have to say you'll have the mayonnaise shrimp. It comes with broccoli and nuts (pecans I believe). My question is why doesn't Jade isle clean up the outside of the place?
                           
                          #43
                            fattybomatty

                            • Total Posts: 1017
                            • Joined: 4/10/2008
                            • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                            RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                            jerzeydawg did you try the mayonnaise shrimp?
                             
                            #44
                              jerzeydawg

                              • Total Posts: 167
                              • Joined: 5/27/2007
                              • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                              RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 11:19 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by fattybomatty

                              jerzeydawg did you try the mayonnaise shrimp?



                              I dont eat shrimp. Or any sea food for that matter. Turf...No surf
                               
                              #45
                                fattybomatty

                                • Total Posts: 1017
                                • Joined: 4/10/2008
                                • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well
                                 
                                #46
                                  jerzeydawg

                                  • Total Posts: 167
                                  • Joined: 5/27/2007
                                  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                  RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by fattybomatty

                                  Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well



                                  I had Duck once about 15 years ago. It was a dish at a Polynesian Restaurant in which was called "Wor Shu op" It didnt really impress me. Is there a duck dish that you'd recommend?
                                   
                                  #47
                                    fattybomatty

                                    • Total Posts: 1017
                                    • Joined: 4/10/2008
                                    • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by fattybomatty

                                    Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well



                                    I had Duck once about 15 years ago. It was a dish at a Polynesian Restaurant in which was called "Wor Shu op" It didnt really impress me. Is there a duck dish that you'd recommend?


                                    I like crispy duck at chinese restaurants. Thai restaurants usually make it well too, but can't think of any dishes off the top of my head
                                     
                                    #48
                                      jerzeydawg

                                      • Total Posts: 167
                                      • Joined: 5/27/2007
                                      • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                      RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 6:57 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by fattybomatty

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by fattybomatty

                                      Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well



                                      I had Duck once about 15 years ago. It was a dish at a Polynesian Restaurant in which was called "Wor Shu op" It didnt really impress me. Is there a duck dish that you'd recommend?


                                      I like crispy duck at chinese restaurants. Thai restaurants usually make it well too, but can't think of any dishes off the top of my head



                                      I've seen "Crispy Duck " on chinese food menus . Is that like the Duck version of deep fried chicken?
                                       
                                      #49
                                        fattybomatty

                                        • Total Posts: 1017
                                        • Joined: 4/10/2008
                                        • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                        RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/2/08 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by fattybomatty

                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by fattybomatty

                                        Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well



                                        I had Duck once about 15 years ago. It was a dish at a Polynesian Restaurant in which was called "Wor Shu op" It didnt really impress me. Is there a duck dish that you'd recommend?


                                        I like crispy duck at chinese restaurants. Thai restaurants usually make it well too, but can't think of any dishes off the top of my head



                                        I've seen "Crispy Duck " on chinese food menus . Is that like the Duck version of deep fried chicken?


                                        haha...I think I'd equate it more to deep fried turkey because of the texture of the skin
                                         
                                        #50
                                          mangianancy

                                          • Total Posts: 3
                                          • Joined: 5/9/2008
                                          • Location: Elk Grove, CA
                                          RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/9/08 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by johnnyblanco

                                          I used to live in NJ (living in West Sacramento , CA and it's HARD to get good chinese out here.. hell these people don't know what the heck Duck Sauce is out here! HELP! :D Anyway, there was a place out in the middle of nowhere called New Chinese Kitchen.. and no I have no idea where it is all I can remember from my childhood is that it was off a main route or something like that but it was in the middle of nowhere out past delicious orchards was / is I guess it's off route 18 in the colts neck area.. can't confirm it but if it's still there.. go.. the food was GREAT.
                                           
                                          #51
                                            mangianancy

                                            • Total Posts: 3
                                            • Joined: 5/9/2008
                                            • Location: Elk Grove, CA
                                            RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Fri, 05/9/08 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                            Johnny from NJ:
                                            I know you posted this a while ago, but wanted to chime in and tell you I recently found a jar of pretty good tasting duck sauce at Big Lots!! Can't remember the brand but it was the "right color" and tasted good! Brought me back to dipping those crispy noodles in the yummy sauce!
                                            Ciao for now.

                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by johnnyblanco

                                            I used to live in NJ (living in West Sacramento , CA and it's HARD to get good chinese out here.. hell these people don't know what the heck Duck Sauce is out here! HELP! :D Anyway, there was a place out in the middle of nowhere called New Chinese Kitchen.. and no I have no idea where it is all I can remember from my childhood is that it was off a main route or something like that but it was in the middle of nowhere out past delicious orchards was / is I guess it's off route 18 in the colts neck area.. can't confirm it but if it's still there.. go.. the food was GREAT.
                                             
                                            #52
                                              jerzeydawg

                                              • Total Posts: 167
                                              • Joined: 5/27/2007
                                              • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                              RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Sat, 08/2/08 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                              We went to Jade Isle http://jadeisle.net/default.aspx on TERRIL Rd. in Scotch Plains last week. It was good. I think they either cut down on the MSG or stopped using it all together.
                                               
                                              #53
                                                dannybotz

                                                • Total Posts: 357
                                                • Joined: 1/30/2007
                                                • Location: Branchburg N.J.
                                                RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Sun, 08/3/08 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                                Hands down the best chinese in the state is In Freehold "Peking Pavillion" on rte 33 west about 5 mins from the freehold mall!!
                                                It blows Crown Palace away... imho but Crown Palace is good they have a nice dim-sum on the weekends
                                                Anyway try Peking Pavillion it is dynamite. On the expensive side for chinese but the quality of the food is superb They have the best coconut Shrimp youll ever taste and last time i was there I Had an awesome dish with chunks of filet mignon in a brown sauce over Chinese brocolli wow!!! try em out!
                                                 
                                                #54
                                                  jerzeydawg

                                                  • Total Posts: 167
                                                  • Joined: 5/27/2007
                                                  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                                  RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Sun, 08/3/08 9:19 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by dannybotz

                                                  Hands down the best chinese in the state is In Freehold "Peking Pavillion" on rte 33 west about 5 mins from the freehold mall!!
                                                  It blows Crown Palace away... imho but Crown Palace is good they have a nice dim-sum on the weekends
                                                  Anyway try Peking Pavillion it is dynamite. On the expensive side for chinese but the quality of the food is superb They have the best coconut Shrimp youll ever taste and last time i was there I Had an awesome dish with chunks of filet mignon in a brown sauce over Chinese brocolli wow!!! try em out!



                                                  Sounds similar to 'Jade Isle' near me. Freehold is a bit of a drive for me. Maybe we can get someone closer to Freehold to check it out. Thanks for posting the restaurant here .
                                                   
                                                  #55
                                                    Baah Ben

                                                    • Total Posts: 3026
                                                    • Joined: 11/30/2001
                                                    • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
                                                    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Sun, 08/3/08 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                    How about some good places in Bergen County? Anyone?
                                                     
                                                    #56
                                                      Tedbear

                                                      • Total Posts: 1832
                                                      • Joined: 1/26/2004
                                                      • Location: Somerset, NJ
                                                      RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Sun, 08/3/08 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by leethebard

                                                      The only thing remotely Oriental this North Jersey baby boomer from the early fifties remembers was the Itchy Ban tavern on 5th street in Union City!



                                                      Wasn't Itchy Ban an over-the-counter product for Eczema?

                                                      Seriously, though, I suspect that the name of the tavern in question was probably Ichiban, which means "best" or "first" in Japanese. Then again, in Hudson County anything is possible.
                                                       
                                                      #57
                                                        jerzeydawg

                                                        • Total Posts: 167
                                                        • Joined: 5/27/2007
                                                        • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                                        RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Sun, 08/3/08 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Tedbear

                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by leethebard

                                                        The only thing remotely Oriental this North Jersey baby boomer from the early fifties remembers was the Itchy Ban tavern on 5th street in Union City!



                                                        Wasn't Itchy Ban an over-the-counter product for Eczema?

                                                        Seriously, though, I suspect that the name of the tavern in question was probably Ichiban, which means "best" or "first" in Japanese. Then again, in Hudson County anything is possible.




                                                        LMAO.....That was funny
                                                         
                                                        #58
                                                          dannybotz

                                                          • Total Posts: 357
                                                          • Joined: 1/30/2007
                                                          • Location: Branchburg N.J.
                                                          RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Wed, 08/6/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by jerzeydawg

                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by dannybotz

                                                          Hands down the best chinese in the state is In Freehold "Peking Pavillion" on rte 33 west about 5 mins from the freehold mall!!
                                                          It blows Crown Palace away... imho but Crown Palace is good they have a nice dim-sum on the weekends
                                                          Anyway try Peking Pavillion it is dynamite. On the expensive side for chinese but the quality of the food is superb They have the best coconut Shrimp youll ever taste and last time i was there I Had an awesome dish with chunks of filet mignon in a brown sauce over Chinese brocolli wow!!! try em out!



                                                          Sounds similar to 'Jade Isle' near me. Freehold is a bit of a drive for me. Maybe we can get someone closer to Freehold to check it out. Thanks for posting the restaurant here .


                                                          I actually live in piscataway Jerseydawg so ill check out jade isle also!!
                                                           
                                                          #59
                                                            fattybomatty

                                                            • Total Posts: 1017
                                                            • Joined: 4/10/2008
                                                            • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                                            RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey Wed, 08/6/08 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                            Jade isle is good. I recommend the duck or trying mayonnaise shrimp. Oh and you can ask for the "other" chinese menu too. It's in english and chinese
                                                             
                                                            #60
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 93

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com