Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Doatsie82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/03 17:20:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Anne1963

I remember a place that was supreme in the 70s --Lee's Hawaiian Islander--I think it was maybe in Clifton or Lyndhurst. I think they had a fire and closed some years back, but that was the standard by which I judged all Asian food through my early adult life. Now I just enjoy the memories of our family feasts there, but can't recall much about the food.

Hey Annie, Lee's was in Lyndhurst. Another great place I remember from childhood that I can't vouch for as an adult! Doatsie
johnnyblanco
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/20 14:10:27 (permalink)
I used to live in NJ (living in West Sacramento , CA and it's HARD to get good chinese out here.. hell these people don't know what the heck Duck Sauce is out here! HELP! :D Anyway, there was a place out in the middle of nowhere called New Chinese Kitchen.. and no I have no idea where it is all I can remember from my childhood is that it was off a main route or something like that but it was in the middle of nowhere out past delicious orchards was / is I guess it's off route 18 in the colts neck area.. can't confirm it but if it's still there.. go.. the food was GREAT.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6197
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/20 14:13:14 (permalink)
Been to Delicious Orchards often...haven't seen this place!
johnnyblanco
Junior Burger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/20 14:34:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

See that's just it.. there's a main drag you have to turn down to get to delicious orchards (Rt. 18 maybe? but.. I dunno..) hmm.. let me see something .. checks maps.. OK! I might be right or wrong.. but I think it's off rt 35. I remember the title was new chinese or chinese kitchen or something to that effect.
johnnyblanco
Junior Burger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/20 14:37:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyblanco

quote:

See that's just it.. there's a main drag you have to turn down to get to delicious orchards (Rt. 18 maybe? but.. I dunno..) hmm.. let me see something .. checks maps.. OK! I might be right or wrong.. but I think it's off rt 35. I remember the title was new chinese or chinese kitchen or something to that effect.

Aha! I think that's it.. Crown Palace..

Crown Palace - Chinese Restaurant
1285 State Route 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/25 20:20:25 (permalink)
Jerzeybard.....The Italian restaurant was on West Side Avenue, but I do not recall that being the name. I was working there from 1973-1977. I normally have a great memory for totalyl irrelevant things, but the name of that Italian restaurant escapes me.

I don't know if you know this but the State took over the entire Jersey City school system I once worked for in Jersey city. In the late 80's beause of really bad things (politics) and students not getting a proper education. They still run it today!
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 01:13:34 (permalink)
Singapore at 182 Orlando Drive in Raritan is pretty good, I've only been there once but enjoyed myself. Its mostly Singapore and Malaysian Cuisine, not Polynesian but the styles are a touch similiar. It is definatley traditional as some of the menu items might make western stomachs a bit skiddish. My wife wasnt impressed with it (since the food made her green) but being more of a traveler I was impressed. I just relocated back to NJ for an extended time and I will certainly go back and eat again at Singapore.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6197
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 09:49:41 (permalink)
Johnny, thanks for the info...I'll be on the lookout for it!!!!!
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 11:05:56 (permalink)
I like Jade Isle in Scotch Plains and there's another place in greenbrook on Rt 22 next to outback that I heard is good, but I can't remember the name.

Next time you go to a chinese restaurant (not takeout one you sit down at) ask for the Mayonnaise Shrimp. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's authentic chinese cuisine
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 18:20:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty

I like Jade Isle in Scotch Plains and there's another place in greenbrook on Rt 22 next to outback that I heard is good, but I can't remember the name.

Next time you go to a chinese restaurant (not takeout one you sit down at) ask for the Mayonnaise Shrimp. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's authentic chinese cuisine

Hello neighbor. I live in Scotch Plains. The food at Jade Isle is really good except that it gives me and the wife an MSG hangover afterwards.

There's a place on Inmann Ave in Edison Called Treasure Garden. One side is a cocktail lounge with a bar and tables and the other is strictly a restaurant. I recommend sitting in the cocktail lounge as you get to watch TV. The food is excellent. I always get the Chicken with mushrooms in oyster sauce. It's excellent and they serve really big portions so you can take home leftovers
fattybomatty
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 19:37:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

Hello neighbor. I live in Scotch Plains. The food at Jade Isle is really good except that it gives me and the wife an MSG hangover afterwards.

There's a place on Inmann Ave in Edison Called Treasure Garden. One side is a cocktail lounge with a bar and tables and the other is strictly a restaurant. I recommend sitting in the cocktail lounge as you get to watch TV. The food is excellent. I always get the Chicken with mushrooms in oyster sauce. It's excellent and they serve really big portions so you can take home leftovers

I'll have to check that place out. I do recommend the mayonnaise shrimp at Jade Isle. It's not on the regular menu, it is on the actual chinese menu so you just have to say you'll have the mayonnaise shrimp. It comes with broccoli and nuts (pecans I believe). My question is why doesn't Jade isle clean up the outside of the place?
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 19:52:31 (permalink)
I'm on my way to Treasure Garden now.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/04/25 21:27:03 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

I dont eat shrimp believe it or not.. Or any sea food for that matter.

I just got back from Treasure Garden in Edison . I spent 10 minutes looking at the menu and ended up ordering the same dish as always. It was good accept i think i''m getting tired of it. I should hve ordered something spicy. Oh well, there's always next time.

I'll have to check that place out. I do recommend the mayonnaise shrimp at Jade Isle. It's not on the regular menu, it is on the actual chinese menu so you just have to say you'll have the mayonnaise shrimp. It comes with broccoli and nuts (pecans I believe). My question is why doesn't Jade isle clean up the outside of the place?
fattybomatty
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 09:33:21 (permalink)
jerzeydawg did you try the mayonnaise shrimp?
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 11:19:36 (permalink)
quote:

jerzeydawg did you try the mayonnaise shrimp?

I dont eat shrimp. Or any sea food for that matter. Turf...No surf
fattybomatty
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 11:22:06 (permalink)
Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 11:30:15 (permalink)
quote:

Jerzey you need to stop limiting yourself. haha. how about duck? Chinese places usually make duck well

I had Duck once about 15 years ago. It was a dish at a Polynesian Restaurant in which was called "Wor Shu op" It didnt really impress me. Is there a duck dish that you'd recommend?
fattybomatty
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 11:50:51 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I had Duck once about 15 years ago. It was a dish at a Polynesian Restaurant in which was called "Wor Shu op" It didnt really impress me. Is there a duck dish that you'd recommend?

I like crispy duck at chinese restaurants. Thai restaurants usually make it well too, but can't think of any dishes off the top of my head
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 18:57:29 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

I like crispy duck at chinese restaurants. Thai restaurants usually make it well too, but can't think of any dishes off the top of my head

I've seen "Crispy Duck " on chinese food menus . Is that like the Duck version of deep fried chicken?
fattybomatty
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/02 19:34:29 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've seen "Crispy Duck " on chinese food menus . Is that like the Duck version of deep fried chicken?

haha...I think I'd equate it more to deep fried turkey because of the texture of the skin
mangianancy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/09 13:09:29 (permalink)
quote:

I used to live in NJ (living in West Sacramento , CA and it's HARD to get good chinese out here.. hell these people don't know what the heck Duck Sauce is out here! HELP! :D Anyway, there was a place out in the middle of nowhere called New Chinese Kitchen.. and no I have no idea where it is all I can remember from my childhood is that it was off a main route or something like that but it was in the middle of nowhere out past delicious orchards was / is I guess it's off route 18 in the colts neck area.. can't confirm it but if it's still there.. go.. the food was GREAT.
mangianancy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/05/09 13:12:19 (permalink)
Johnny from NJ:
I know you posted this a while ago, but wanted to chime in and tell you I recently found a jar of pretty good tasting duck sauce at Big Lots!! Can't remember the brand but it was the "right color" and tasted good! Brought me back to dipping those crispy noodles in the yummy sauce!
Ciao for now.

quote:

jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/02 22:30:51 (permalink)
We went to Jade Isle http://jadeisle.net/default.aspx on TERRIL Rd. in Scotch Plains last week. It was good. I think they either cut down on the MSG or stopped using it all together.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/03 09:05:23 (permalink)
Hands down the best chinese in the state is In Freehold "Peking Pavillion" on rte 33 west about 5 mins from the freehold mall!!
It blows Crown Palace away... imho but Crown Palace is good they have a nice dim-sum on the weekends
Anyway try Peking Pavillion it is dynamite. On the expensive side for chinese but the quality of the food is superb They have the best coconut Shrimp youll ever taste and last time i was there I Had an awesome dish with chunks of filet mignon in a brown sauce over Chinese brocolli wow!!! try em out!
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/03 09:19:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dannybotz

Hands down the best chinese in the state is In Freehold "Peking Pavillion" on rte 33 west about 5 mins from the freehold mall!!
It blows Crown Palace away... imho but Crown Palace is good they have a nice dim-sum on the weekends
Anyway try Peking Pavillion it is dynamite. On the expensive side for chinese but the quality of the food is superb They have the best coconut Shrimp youll ever taste and last time i was there I Had an awesome dish with chunks of filet mignon in a brown sauce over Chinese brocolli wow!!! try em out!

Sounds similar to 'Jade Isle' near me. Freehold is a bit of a drive for me. Maybe we can get someone closer to Freehold to check it out. Thanks for posting the restaurant here .
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/03 11:21:16 (permalink)
How about some good places in Bergen County? Anyone?
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/03 11:22:47 (permalink)
quote:

The only thing remotely Oriental this North Jersey baby boomer from the early fifties remembers was the Itchy Ban tavern on 5th street in Union City!

Wasn't Itchy Ban an over-the-counter product for Eczema?

Seriously, though, I suspect that the name of the tavern in question was probably Ichiban, which means "best" or "first" in Japanese. Then again, in Hudson County anything is possible.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/03 15:52:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

The only thing remotely Oriental this North Jersey baby boomer from the early fifties remembers was the Itchy Ban tavern on 5th street in Union City!

Wasn't Itchy Ban an over-the-counter product for Eczema?

Seriously, though, I suspect that the name of the tavern in question was probably Ichiban, which means "best" or "first" in Japanese. Then again, in Hudson County anything is possible.

LMAO.....That was funny
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/06 14:19:23 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dannybotz

Sounds similar to 'Jade Isle' near me. Freehold is a bit of a drive for me. Maybe we can get someone closer to Freehold to check it out. Thanks for posting the restaurant here .

I actually live in piscataway Jerseydawg so ill check out jade isle also!!
fattybomatty
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/06 14:26:16 (permalink)
Jade isle is good. I recommend the duck or trying mayonnaise shrimp. Oh and you can ask for the "other" chinese menu too. It's in english and chinese
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1