Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/06 18:49:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dannybotz

I actually live in piscataway Jerseydawg so ill check out jade isle also!!


Here's the website for Jade Isle: [url][/url]http://jadeisle.net/default.aspx

It's always nice to look at the menu before you go. It's even available for download in PDF format.

P.S. If you go on a weekday at lunch time they have a $5.95 lunch special. But this is the type of place where you're probably going to enjoy a more exotic dish to go with the atmosphere as the items on the lunch special are common chinese food dishes found at any take out .

Cheers
#61
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/06 21:24:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty

Jade isle is good. I recommend the duck or trying mayonnaise shrimp. Oh and you can ask for the "other" chinese menu too. It's in english and chinese


I almost ordered the Crispy duck but when i asked about it the waiter said that it doesnt come with any vegetables or anything. Basically duck on a plate. So.....I opted for a tastey chicken and pork dish called "Ho Yea Gai Poo". It is served with mixed chinese vegetables including straw mushrooms and oyster sauce.

P.S. I dont see the Mayonnaise Shrimp on the menu. Are you sure they still serve it?
#62
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
  • Joined: 2007/01/30 16:58:00
  • Location: Branchburg N.J.
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/06 21:57:42 (permalink)



quote:
P.S. I dont see the Mayonnaise Shrimp on the menu. Are you sure they still serve it?



you know it may be called Walnut Shrimp or even Grand Marneir Shrimp as ive seen it in other restaraunts!!
#63
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
  • Joined: 2008/04/10 19:32:00
  • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/07 10:23:02 (permalink)
Jerzeydawg, I don't think the mayonnaise shrimp is on the menu. Or it might be under appetizer. Just when you go in ask, "Can I have the mayonnaise shrimp with walnuts?" they will know what you're talking about. It comes on top of a big portion of broccoli. Oh and the crispy duck there is excellent. I thought it came with vegetables, but I guess not
#64
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/09 20:57:24 (permalink)
Ok fellow Jersians...I'm here to chime in with a newly discovered Chinese Restaurant. It's called "China Bowl"

It's in Edison New Jersey on route 27. Located in a strip mall.
The thing that makes this restaurant stand out is that everyone eating there is Chinese. So, If you're looking for "Authentic" Chinese food this is the place to go. It's kind of like being in Chinatown NY as they have a kitchen in the front window of the restaurant where roasted duck, chicken, and other meats hang in the window . Inside looks like it could have at one point in time been a Pizzeria & restaurant. We went there at 7pm tonight (Saturday) and there was only one table left in the whole restaurant. And this place has alot of tables. So this is a good thing.

I got some pictures of the outside and i took a paper take out menu in which i will scan in the morning.

I'll be back here to post everything tomorrow morning.

Set your GPS to:

China Bowl
1765 Lincoln Highway (RT. 27)
Edison, NJ 08817
#65
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 06:46:02 (permalink)
China Bowl - Edison, NJ














#66
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
  • Joined: 2005/09/18 09:58:00
  • Location: Westfield, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 08:45:38 (permalink)
Jerzey Dawg,

How would you compare China Bowl to Canton, Journal Square, Jersey City, N.J., in its prime?

In any case, though China Bowl doesn't have squid in black bean sauce, I noticed they have clams in black bean sauce. Perhaps the chef can accomodate. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for providing the menu.

By the way, I think Jersian is Jerseyan, no?

The Bear
#67
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6203
  • Joined: 2007/08/16 17:35:00
  • Location: brick, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 08:53:33 (permalink)
Hey Jerseydawg,thanks for scanning in the menu..some uncommon dishes here...chicken and conch...!! Don't see that on your standard take out place menu...After you eat there,it looks like you can relax with a massage and digest all your food!!
#68
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 09:27:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Jerzey Dawg,

How would you compare China Bowl to Canton, Journal Square, Jersey City, N.J., in its prime?

In any case, though China Bowl doesn't have squid in black bean sauce, I noticed they have clams in black bean sauce. Perhaps the chef can accomodate. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for providing the menu.

By the way, I think Jersian is Jerseyan, no?

The Bear



I dont think i'd compare China Bowl to Canton in any way except it being run by Chinese people. Canton had a beautiful ambiance and for the most part served Americans and simple Cantonese dishes in which attracted the typical American.


As for not having "Squid in Black Bean Sauce" it might be on the "Dine In" menu which had more food items on it.
#69
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 09:33:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Hey Jerseydawg,thanks for scanning in the menu..some uncommon dishes here...chicken and conch...!! Don't see that on your standard take out place menu...After you eat there,it looks like you can relax with a massage and digest all your food!!



I made sure to bring a camera and take a menu home just to post it here for everyone since the restaurant doesn't have a website.

The "Dine in menu" has more items on it.

As you see on the menu the soups are priced high. This is because it is a huge serving in which is eaten as meal itself. Some of the soups even have duck in them.

Funny thing about the massage parlor is that i didnt even notice it until i came home and uploaded the pictures
#70
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
  • Joined: 2001/11/30 21:45:00
  • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 09:54:11 (permalink)
Any place that serves legitimate fresh chow fun noodles is on my list! Not that easy to find. Too many places cheat and buy them frozen or do not do enough volume and take the fresh stuff they've purchased from a noodle supplier and freeze them. Then when you order it, they cook it for you by first steaming them to reconsistitute them in the wok and it never works. Too many noodles come out in clumps rather than all individual noodles; that's how you know if they've used frozen stuff. So, unless I go to a really high volume place, I don't order them except in one of the Chinatowns in various cities. There you are always going to get fresh noodles for whatever dish you order.

Yes, this menu is definately geared to Chinese people. Did you see the tripe? Twisted cruller that they like to dip in their soups...Various meat over rice dishes (very big in any Chinatown). I see one I'd love to try..Sizzling Platter - Pork Chop and onion. Good menu! Thanks So how far is Harold's from this place? Oh, wait a minute...Ellen doesn't like Chinese..I jsut remembered

Jerzydawg - Hope you have a good meal. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
#71
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/10 10:11:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Any place that serves legitimate fresh chow fun noodles is on my list! Not that easy to find. Too many places cheat and buy them frozen or do not do enough volume and take the fresh stuff they've purchased from a noodle supplier and freeze them. Then when you order it, they cook it for you by first steaming them to reconsistitute them in the wok and it never works. Too many noodles come out in clumps rather than all individual noodles; that's how you know if they've used frozen stuff. So, unless I go to a really high volume place, I don't order them except in one of the Chinatowns in various cities. There you are always going to get fresh noodles for whatever dish you order.

Yes, this menu is definately geared to Chinese people. Did you see the tripe? Twisted cruller that they like to dip in their soups...Various meat over rice dishes (very big in any Chinatown). I see one I'd love to try..Sizzling Platter - Pork Chop and onion. Good menu! Thanks So how far is Harold's from this place? Oh, wait a minute...Ellen doesn't like Chinese..I jsut remembered

Jerzydawg - Hope you have a good meal. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!



We ate there last night. At 7pm the place was packed. We got the last table. Even when we left at about 8 there were still people going in to eat. We were the only American's in the place. I wanted to pull out the camera and snap some pictures but I think we already drew enough attention eating with forks. LOL

Anyway, we'll definitely be going back.

one thing i noticed was that alot of people order several dishes where the waiter places the food in the middle of the table then the people at the table take food from the various dishes with chopsticks and place it onto the empty dish in which is placed in front of them. Next time we go back we'll order a few different dishes and do the same......With forks


P.S. to the left end of the plaza is a giant Asian supermarket which is fun to walk through and look around. This area is definitely a Chinatown.

I filled up my gas tank at the Shell Station on Old Post Rd. & Rt. 1 for $3.57 per gallon
#72
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
  • Joined: 2008/04/10 19:32:00
  • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/21 08:40:42 (permalink)
JerzeyDawg have you tried the shrimp with cashew nuts at the china bowl?
#73
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
  • Joined: 2008/07/24 17:31:00
  • Location: Bayonne, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/22 20:03:32 (permalink)
J Dawg, do you remember Lum Chin Inn, Peters House, and Paradise East?
#74
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/22 20:50:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty

JerzeyDawg have you tried the shrimp with cashew nuts at the china bowl?


Nope. Dont do shrimp. I'm strictly Turf.....Not surf

I'm thinking about heading back down there soon.

You're not far from there . You should take a ride down there and check it out. The prices are really good and the food is aimed to a Chinese clientele. As a matter a fact , I was the only American in there.
#75
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/24 22:05:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

J Dawg, do you remember Lum Chin Inn, Peters House, and Paradise East?



Where was Lum Chin Inn? I know that name.

Peter's House was on Avenue E in Bayonne . I've never eaten there before.

Paradise East was a place that i've frequented many many times.
#76
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/24 22:13:51 (permalink)
Now that I'm thinking about it. Wasnt Lum Chin Inn on Broadway & 25th?
#77
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
  • Joined: 2008/07/24 17:31:00
  • Location: Bayonne, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 00:20:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

Now that I'm thinking about it. Wasnt Lum Chin Inn on Broadway & 25th?


You got it!! I did not like chinese food all that much, when I was younger. My Grandmother used to walk me across the street to Blimpie.

I was fascinated as I watched the subs being made. " />
#78
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 06:48:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

Now that I'm thinking about it. Wasnt Lum Chin Inn on Broadway & 25th?


You got it!! I did not like chinese food all that much, when I was younger. My Grandmother used to walk me across the street to Blimpie.

I was fascinated as I watched the subs being made. " />


I think i may have eaten at Lum Chin's once and didnt like it. I think it was changed to an American Diner type place called "The Town House" Restaurant. As for Blimpie....That place has been a long standing landmark. They 'till this day build great sandwiches. I actually ate there a few months ago. I frequent Bayonne about once a month when I go for a haircut . I go to Frank's Barber Shop on B'way & 42d. Just a block south of Magic Fountain Ice Cream .

How about "Hendrickson's"? Probably Bayonne's longest standing Restaurant. They have good food and there was always a guy there playing the piano. Something you dont come across very often.

When I used to go into Bayonne to visit my dad he would always want to go to a restaurant called "The Lighthouse" just across the street from Hendrickson's. They have a really good menu there.
#79
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
  • Joined: 2008/04/10 19:32:00
  • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 10:38:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty

JerzeyDawg have you tried the shrimp with cashew nuts at the china bowl?


Nope. Dont do shrimp. I'm strictly Turf.....Not surf

I'm thinking about heading back down there soon.

You're not far from there . You should take a ride down there and check it out. The prices are really good and the food is aimed to a Chinese clientele. As a matter a fact , I was the only American in there.


I actually work about a mile from it so one day for lunch I'm definitely going to check it out
#80
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
  • Joined: 2008/07/24 17:31:00
  • Location: Bayonne, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 13:38:09 (permalink)
I do not ever remember eating at Lum Chin Inn, Peters House, or Paradise East. I did my share of drinking at all three places. Back in the day.

Small world. Frank is the Barber for both of my guys, since they were babies.

My wedding reception was at Hendrickson's. They have a nice room for events, upstairs. The food was excellent! Many of the guests mixed and mingled, downstairs (by the piano). It is the oldest restaurant in Bayonne. It was even city hall, about 100 years ago. It has alot of character and charm. Stained glass, rich wood tones, ect. I was very pleased with the reception.

Lighthouse is a great place, too. It serves traditional diner food. A little more upscale.

The flagship Blimpie is located in Hoboken. The Bayonne location has been around for nearly as long. I LOVE the sandwiches at Blimpie.
#81
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 14:43:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

I do not ever remember eating at Lum Chin Inn, Peters House, or Paradise East. I did my share of drinking at all three places. Back in the day.

Small world. Frank is the Barber for both of my guys, since they were babies.

My wedding reception was at Hendrickson's. They have a nice room for events, upstairs. The food was excellent! Many of the guests mixed and mingled, downstairs (by the piano). It is the oldest restaurant in Bayonne. It was even city hall, about 100 years ago. It has alot of character and charm. Stained glass, rich wood tones, ect. I was very pleased with the reception.

Lighthouse is a great place, too. It serves traditional diner food. A little more upscale.

The flagship Blimpie is located in Hoboken. The Bayonne location has been around for nearly as long. I LOVE the sandwiches at Blimpie.


Hendrickson's is a one of a kind place.

I was just in Bayonne this past Saturday. I got my hair cut and then went to Albanese Italian Deli on Ave C at 21st street for some cheese. It's too expensive over here in Union County so when i go to Bayonne for my monthly haircut i always stop at Albanese Deli as well.

There was a Chinese Restaurant that i went to about 20 years ago on B'way & 5th called "Yau's House" They had pretty good food there.
#82
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
  • Joined: 2008/07/24 17:31:00
  • Location: Bayonne, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 15:10:21 (permalink)
Wow!! This is something!!!

I grew up and live around the block from the former Yau's House. They were there for like 25 years. They knew I was a loyal customer since I was a kid. They would always throw in an extra soda, and something special for dessert. My sons started to go with all of their friends, and they treated them like family. How very special. They recently sold to new owners, and the food is not as good as it used to be. They will be missed. As a kid, my EVIL friends used to call it Meows House. I still have a few of the same friends. Not as evil as they once were.

Albanese is a great place. Very reasonable in price. My parents ordered a six foot sandwich from them (AN AWESOME ITALIAN SANDWICH!!!) for a family reunion type event, and it was much cheaper than any other place. When I went to pick it up, they were so gracious and appreciative about everything. Threw in tons and tons of extra sides, and carried it to my car like it was a baby!!. LOL
#83
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 16:10:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

Wow!! This is something!!!

I grew up and live around the block from the former Yau's House. They were there for like 25 years. They knew I was a loyal customer since I was a kid. They would always throw in an extra soda, and something special for dessert. My sons started to go with all of their friends, and they treated them like family. How very special. They recently sold to new owners, and the food is not as good as it used to be. They will be missed. As a kid, my EVIL friends used to call it Meows House. I still have a few of the same friends. Not as evil as they once were.

I've never had a sandwich from Albanese Deli. Guess i have never thought of them making sandwiches. They dont have any signs saying that they make sandwiches or anything. Next trip over i'm going to order one for myself. Is there a particular sandwich that you recommend?

Back to 5th street. Do you know if the 5th Str. Deliette is still there? They had some great home made food there!

Albanese is a great place. Very reasonable in price. My parents ordered a six foot sandwich from them (AN AWESOME ITALIAN SANDWICH!!!) for a family reunion type event, and it was much cheaper than any other place. When I went to pick it up, they were so gracious and appreciative about everything. Threw in tons and tons of extra sides, and carried it to my car like it was a baby!!. LOL
#84
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 16:52:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

I thought i'd start this thread as I found out that one of the most memorable Chinese Restaurants here in Jersey has closed. The restaurant was called "The Canton". It was located in Jersey City at the Journal Square.

The restaurant was huge and was located on the second floor of an old building which was originally a Russian Tea room built in 1930. The restaurant had 2 banquet rooms and a large dance floor.

The food was fairly good but memorable as it was a historical landmark and around for ages.

Please do not list "All you can eat buffets" as most of them are not in the tradition of Chinese restaurants.





Here's a link for all of you big Chinese food fans: http://chinesefood.about.com/lr/chinese_restaurant_dishes/52779/3/

All about different Chinese dishes , explaination of dishes , recipes, & history as well.
#85
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 17:29:52 (permalink)
#86
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
  • Joined: 2008/07/24 17:31:00
  • Location: Bayonne, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/08/25 22:47:15 (permalink)
Very cool J Dawg!! Thanks!
#87
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Joined: 2003/08/13 02:35:00
  • Location: Kearny, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2009/11/12 21:44:46 (permalink)
One of my favorite Chinese/Polynesian restaurants was the Jade Fountain, as mentioned by some of our fellow RoadFood members. At one time they had at least four locations in NJ:North Arlington,Clifton,and 2 in Paramus. They had the traditional Pu Pu Platter,as well as other classic dishes and a smorgasborg called YUM CHA.
#88
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Joined: 2003/08/13 02:35:00
  • Location: Kearny, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2009/11/15 10:35:39 (permalink)
The China Cafe on route 1 south in Woodbridge,in a strip mall in back of Best Buy, serves great traditional Chinese food. They have daily specials and will accomodate requests for meals that may not be on their menu. Very large & flavorfull portions that are reasonably priced. The food is prepared in an open kitchen, nice seating and very clean.
#89
MR FOOD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2010/09/14 16:32:00
  • Location: franklin park, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2010/09/14 16:50:46 (permalink)
I am new to the group, my first post. i am going to try the china bowl on wednesday as i will be in the area
#90
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1