Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
2007/07/03 22:12:13 (permalink)

Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey

I thought i'd start this thread as I found out that one of the most memorable Chinese Restaurants here in Jersey has closed. The restaurant was called "The Canton". It was located in Jersey City at the Journal Square.

The restaurant was huge and was located on the second floor of an old building which was originally a Russian Tea room built in 1930. The restaurant had 2 banquet rooms and a large dance floor.

The food was fairly good but memorable as it was a historical landmark and around for ages.

Please do not list "All you can eat buffets" as most of them are not in the tradition of Chinese restaurants.

92 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/04 00:58:41 (permalink)
    I'm not sure the best Chinese restaurant in NJ ( I am in NU) but I know they have some great Asian food markets. Jersey City & West NY for example.

Now Polynesian?? In NJ??? Are there a lot of Polynesians in NJ?
    Wasn't these a Hawaii-Kai with the famed "Pu Pu Platter" at one time? I do think one was near Times Square across the river....
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/04 18:57:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

I'm not sure the best Chinese restaurant in NJ ( I am in NU) but I know they have some great Asian food markets. Jersey City & West NY for example.

Now Polynesian?? In NJ??? Are there a lot of Polynesians in NJ?
    Wasn't these a Hawaii-Kai with the famed "Pu Pu Platter" at one time? I do think one was near Times Square across the river....

I am not sure about the Polynesian population in NJ but i know that there are at least a dozen Polynesian Restaurants in the state. The one that was popular in Jersey city (My Hometown) was called "Paradise East"
    It was on route 440 at the bottom of Danthfort Ave.
    The restaurant had a cocktail lounge which was famous for minors getting served mixed drinks to go (out the back door) . The food was very good and am sad to say that it was sold and turned into a Chinese Buffet
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/05 12:14:20 (permalink)
    When I was a teen in the early 70's Polynesian restaurants became ver popular in NJ. Every meal I had in one started with a PU PU platter. The couple we would go to had elaborate indoor water fountains and coi ponds. As a kid I found it all very exotic and interesting!
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/05 19:34:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by agnesrob

When I was a teen in the early 70's Polynesian restaurants became ver popular in NJ. Every meal I had in one started with a PU PU platter. The couple we would go to had elaborate indoor water fountains and coi ponds. As a kid I found it all very exotic and interesting!

Yes, for most of the part they all had the same interior decor going on such as the indoor water fountain and booths for couples along the walls where the booth is shaped like the letter "U" so that the couples could sit close together.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/06 10:36:13 (permalink)
    Come on guys.....I know that there are more Jersians here who like Chinese/Polynesian food
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/06 10:40:20 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm adding a Chinese restaurant to this list.

The name is Treasure Garden located in a very small strip mall in downtown Colonia(Woodbridge) on Inman Ave. There is a formal dining room and then a cocktail lounge where you can hang out watch the game and eat some good food. Preferabley appetizer finger foods at the bar.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/06 11:49:10 (permalink)
    Hey Jerzeydawg, my friend Lynn lived in JC as a child and always used to talk about the Lincoln Inn and how great their Chinese food was. Was it? And does it still exist? Thanks, Doatsie
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/06 12:01:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Doatsie82

Hey Jerzeydawg, my friend Lynn lived in JC as a child and always used to talk about the Lincoln Inn and how great their Chinese food was. Was it? And does it still exist? Thanks, Doatsie

I have never been to the Lincoln Inn as it was not in the area i lived in in JC. JC is the second biggest city in New Jersey. What i did find was the website for the retaurant and it looks like they do not serve chinese food there. perhaps she was talking about another restaurant in JC where she got her chinese food

Here is the website for the Lincoln Inn: http://www.lincolninnrestaurant.com/
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/06 12:06:04 (permalink)
    China Paradise on Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne was one of the two my parents and I would go to.
    keef richards
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/08 18:52:43 (permalink)
    jerzeydog i'm guessing you are from westside ave.
    i used to go to the canton and run on the bill, it has proably been closed at least 10 yrs. from what i remember it had the big banquet type ahll. it was the second floor but had an elevator that was scary to get on, because it seem like there was no way it could work. as far as paradise east, it was a great place to go when you weren't old enough to drink. the flaming volcano was the best drink ever at that edge, i was 18yo and they were bringing me alcohol that was on fire
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/08 22:21:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by keef richards

jerzeydog i'm guessing you are from westside ave.
    i used to go to the canton and run on the bill, it has proably been closed at least 10 yrs. from what i remember it had the big banquet type ahll. it was the second floor but had an elevator that was scary to get on, because it seem like there was no way it could work. as far as paradise east, it was a great place to go when you weren't old enough to drink. the flaming volcano was the best drink ever at that edge, i was 18yo and they were bringing me alcohol that was on fire

Names Pete, I grew up on Union Street down the block from the Dairy Queen.
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/08 22:39:04 (permalink)
    there was a place called jade fountain in north arlington- very classy in its day- great poo poo platter too...wponder if it is still there?
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/08 23:12:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hosseini

there was a place called jade fountain in north arlington- very classy in its day- great poo poo platter too...wponder if it is still there?

I ate there on new years day back in 1992 i believe. I was hung over pretty damned bad so i'm sure that any dish of hot food was good on that day.

Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/09 16:09:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

I ate there on new years day back in 1992 i believe. I was hung over pretty damned bad so i'm sure that any dish of hot food was good on that day.

Hey Jerzeydawg and hosseini, that's my hometown! I got my Mom on the phone and she confirmed that "The Jade" closed about 15 years ago. I guess you were one of their last customers Jerzey. I was hesitant to mention it because I mostly went there as a child and can't reall vouch for it as an adult. Anyway, thanks for the good memories guys. Doatsie
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/09 16:24:23 (permalink)
    speaking of north arlington does anyone remember a pizza place /bar called the open door?I think it was about midway between the river road and the topp of the hill
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/09 16:30:34 (permalink)
    hosseini, the Open Door is now called The Roma resturant. Still a good place to eat right there on Crystal Street smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Jerzey, thanks for the info on the Lincoln Inn. I will have to get back with Lynn to find out if I made an error on that one. Also in refrence to what I just wrote about a good italian resturant in the middle of a residental street - have you ever been to Laico's?

Doatsie
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/09 19:18:04 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

Hey Jerzeydawg and hosseini, that's my hometown! I got my Mom on the phone and she confirmed that "The Jade" closed about 15 years ago. I guess you were one of their last customers Jerzey. I was hesitant to mention it because I mostly went there as a child and can't reall vouch for it as an adult. Anyway, thanks for the good memories guys. Doatsie

Cool, I lived in Bayonne at the time but was all over the place and the thing that i do remember about The Jade was the green carpet and the water fountain.

There is a place about 5 minutes from where i live now in Scotch Plains called "Jade Isle" . It's a Polynesian restaurant on terril Rd. just a few minutes off of rt. 22.
    The food is good but they use alot of MSG in their dishes and i end up with what i call a "Chinese food hangover"
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/09 19:22:39 (permalink)
    quote:

hosseini, the Open Door is now called The Roma resturant. Still a good place to eat right there on Crystal Street smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Jerzey, thanks for the info on the Lincoln Inn. I will have to get back with Lynn to find out if I made an error on that one. Also in refrence to what I just wrote about a good italian resturant in the middle of a residental street - have you ever been to Laico's?

Doatsie

Yep, It's on Woodlawn ave. in the greenville section of Jersey City. Its in the middle of a residential street and is very popular amongst the JC Natives.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/15 21:24:24 (permalink)
    OK...WHO HERE ON THIS SITE IS A BOOMER WHO GREW UP IN NORTHERN NJ? IF YOU DID, YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER TWO OF THE VERY, VERY BEST CHINESE RESTAURANT TO EVER EXIST ON THIS PLANET.....HING'S CHINA INN IN ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS AND THE CHINA QUARTER IN TENAFLY....SADLY, BOTH ARE NOW GONE.

I'VE HAD AT LEAST 2000 CHINESE MEALS...MAYBE MORE, AND NOTHING CAME CLOSE TO THESE TWO FOR TRUE "CANTONESE" STYLE. TODAY, WHEN I'M IN THE BIG TOWN, I DO LOVE NY NOODLETOWN. BUT, STILL, THE ABOVE TWO WERE THE BEST EVER. DON'T WANT TO BORE YOU WITH TOO MANY SPECIFICS, BUT I'LL GIVE YOU JUST TWO....THE WON TON SOUP AT THE CHINA INN...THEY PUT THICK SLICES OF ROAST PORK IN THE BOWL ALONG WITH THE GREAT BOK CHOY LEAVES AND A HALF OF A SLICED EGG. THE WON TONS WERRE HUGE AND LOADED WITH PORK AND SHRIMP. THEY HAD THESE TINY SKINNY HOME FRIED TABLE NOODLES THAT WENT WITH THEM...AND THEIR SHRIMP WITH LOBSTER SAUCE WAS MADE WITH BLACK BEAN SAUCE SO IT CAME OUT DARK AND RICH WITH HUGE PIECES OF GROUND PORK, LOTS OF EGGS, SCALLIONS, AND 12-20 SIZED SHRIMP. OH, THE MEMORIES....

JEESDAWG......I DO REMEMBER THE JADE FOUNTAIN! BEEN THERE SEVERAL TIMES BACK IN THE 1970'S. I NO LONGER LIVE IN BERGEN COUNTY SO I HAVE NO IDEA IF IT IS STILL THERE. IT WAS VERY GOOD...WASN'T THERE ALSO ONE ON ROUTE 17 IN PARAMUS?
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/15 21:46:12 (permalink)
    I lived for about 8 years in Montville in Morris County. The Hunan Noodle House on 46 East, opposite a Chili's, in Parsippany was our frequent stop for huge bowls of wonderful soups with fantastic homemade noodles, seafood, pork, shrimp wontons and vegetables. A bowl was a meal at around $5.00. Their sauteed vegetables (pea shoots, water spinach, and others) were great. Caucasian guests were typically served a bowl of fried noodles for a free app until they spotted the Asian folks eating plates of pickled seaweed and cabbage (also free and much better than the fried noodles! I wish there was such a place in CT but I'm afraid there aren't enough Asians to support it (and demand real Chinese food). The menu had lots of, well, shall I say "odd" dishes. All in all, a great place.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/07/15 22:01:06 (permalink)
    Yes, It seems that over the years Chinese restaurants have toned down their menus with food in which they think would be more appetizing to the typical American. You'll also notice that the "Hot & Spicy" menu items are not spicy anymore and fried rice no longer has bean sprouts in them. Some places will go as far as adding green peas and carrots to their rice in place of the bean sprouts. Is it even still considered Chinese at that point?

I've even seen things like chicken nuggets and fried chicken wings on menus!

lhing
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2007/11/07 21:35:45 (permalink)
    just wanted to say to Baah Ben that my folks owned Hing's China Inn.

Obviously, deep memories. I did my first search on google and this site came up. I still have engraved dishes and glasses from Hing's China Inn!

Thanks for putting a place in cyberspace for Hing's China Inn.
    Anne1963
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/02/26 20:06:40 (permalink)
    I remember a place that was supreme in the 70s --Lee's Hawaiian Islander--I think it was maybe in Clifton or Lyndhurst. I think they had a fire and closed some years back, but that was the standard by which I judged all Asian food through my early adult life. Now I just enjoy the memories of our family feasts there, but can't recall much about the food.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/01 16:28:02 (permalink)
    The only thing remotely Oriental this North Jersey baby boomer from the early fifties remembers was the Itchy Ban tavern on 5th street in Union City!
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/02 06:06:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

The only thing remotely Oriental this North Jersey baby boomer from the early fifties remembers was the Itchy Ban tavern on 5th street in Union City!

Can you tell us about the Itchy Ban Tavern?

I'm interested in hearing about it. Also, do you remember The Canton on the Journal Square in Jersey City?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/02 07:51:57 (permalink)
    Jerzeydawg,
    Itchy Ban was just the name of a very low class bar. Why it was called that,I don't know. I once knew what it meant,but forgot.All I remember was growing up their in the early 50's and falling asleep to bar fights from the Itchy Ban spilling out into the street,outside my window. Got back there years ago,and mercifuuly,it's gone!
    I remember going with my family to Journal Square(the Dumont????) to see movies and for shopping with my mom,but I don't remember The Canton.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/02 08:23:22 (permalink)
    Leethebard...Do you remember Al's Diner on Communipaw Avenue in Jersey City? What about you Jerzeydawg? I worked in Jersey City in the early 1970's..Fed 25,000 kids a day. There were very few decent restaurants in that town and Journal Square was the pits! West NY and Weehawken were both better managed cities and had better restaurants at that time.

I do remember one pretty good Jersey City Italian restaurant, but the name escapes me. But, I'd have to say Al's was about the best they had to offer back then. Today it is an entirely different matter. Should have brought some property back then..Shoulda Coulda.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/02 08:27:37 (permalink)
    Sorry baah Ben,I don't remember Al's.I was 14 when we moved to the shore,here,and I guess I didn't go to many restaurants and such back then. But my 89 year old mom lives in California now and her memory is still good, When we talk to her,I'll ask her about places they knew. I'll bet she knows an Italian place or two.
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Best Chinese & Polynesian in New Jersey 2008/03/02 20:05:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Leethebard...Do you remember Al's Diner on Communipaw Avenue in Jersey City? What about you Jerzeydawg? I worked in Jersey City in the early 1970's..Fed 25,000 kids a day. There were very few decent restaurants in that town and Journal Square was the pits! West NY and Weehawken were both better managed cities and had better restaurants at that time.

I do remember one pretty good Jersey City Italian restaurant, but the name escapes me. But, I'd have to say Al's was about the best they had to offer back then. Today it is an entirely different matter. Should have brought some property back then..Shoulda Coulda.

Of course I remember Al's Diner. It was near McDonalds. I grew up within walking distance from there. Union Street Between Malory & West Side Ave.

The restaurant you might be talking about may be Petey Ilvento's, Jules, Frango's...later to be changed to Family Tree. Those were all on West Side Ave. Then on Malory and Lexington was Roy's Buenevista restaurant & lounge . Do any of those ring a bell?
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1