Best Clam Chowder Ever

Author
Sylvia Cee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/07/12 18:40:49 (permalink)

Best Clam Chowder Ever

This recipe is not for those watching their fat intake or cholestrol but is so good, a little once in a while should be okay. When I make this, everyone says I should sell it! LOL Better to see someone just enjoy it.

4 can of clams with juice
4 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cups corn, off the cob or canned, not frozen
2 med potatoes, diced
1/2 cp margarine
1/2 cup flour
8 bacon slices
1 qrt half and half
2 TBSP Mrs Dash original
1/2 tsp chili pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Fry bacon and remove to drain on paper towels. Use drippings to fry celery, onion and potatoes. Saute until barely tender. Drain. Use same pan and melt butter. Place veggies and complete cans of clams in dutch oven or big pot. Add the corn. Slowly add flour to the melted butter and stir to make a roux. Add this to the pot and stir. Heat the soup to just about boiling for 20 minutes then remove some stock. Add it to the half and half to warm it up. Slowly and I mean slowly, add the half and half mixture to the soup and stir. Add spices and stir. Heat on low/med (do not boil) for 10 minutes. Serve and add crumbled bacon on top.

Rich and creamy and only a salad is necessary to complete this meal. Very fast recipe too.

14 Replies Related Threads

Dude111
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 582
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2007/04/19 00:50:13 (permalink)
    Sounds VERY G00D!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2007/04/19 06:48:41 (permalink)
    Had me going untill I got to the margarin. Up here in chowder country thats a no-no! Hell we still put people in stocks on public diplay for that offence. BUTTER!
    Oh! Corn is out also. Either your making clam chowda or corn chowda, the twain shall not meet. It's perfectly acceptable to have corn on the cob with your chowder though. Chow Jim
    LuncheoNette
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2007/07/20 17:37:42 (permalink)
    I made this and used the butter and omitted the corn as I also think corn chowder and clam chowder are two different soups. I have to say the recipe steps can be a bit confusing, but the real reply is that I had to go back into the kitchen and make another dinner. Everyone was polite but I could see the soup spoons being stirred around. I thought it was edible but it would be something I wouldnt make again or order in a restaurant again if I was served it, sadly my guests didnt think it was even edible. It just had a greasy taste from the bacon, even though it was drained and I wiped before going back into the pan, it lacked something but I just dont know what it is. I love making soups, it is "my thing" but I was disappointed and hate to waste all that was wasted in this soup. My roommate is a new englander, born in hatfield, grew up in springfield, worked in Maine etc, he said he wont make me feel worse since were in florida, but it was a good thing I didnt serve it up north.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2007/08/23 21:03:25 (permalink)
    Well, I'm not at liberty to give U the recipe,but if U want a REAL CLAM CHOWDER which has sood the test of time and been served to kings, queen and princes, presidents and etc. Go to the Fairmont on Nob Hill in San Francisco.. My dad created the recipe which they have used since 1948. Uses ground up saltine crackers in milk rather than flower.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/01/06 06:50:33 (permalink)
    I absolutely love corn (on the cob, off the cob with butter, salt and pepper) but cannot stand it in my soups.  I guess that means i am weird! 

Recipe sounds simple and really good. 

And butter rules!
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/01/06 08:29:52 (permalink)
    I want the Nob Hill recipe. The other one is basic....Russ
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/08/02 14:15:23 (permalink)
    Creme Sherry needed in above recipes
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/08/02 17:09:36 (permalink)
    Oregano, basil, Mrs Dash, chili pepper, corn, and margarine have no place in a  New England style clam chowder. One also needs to go very easy on the garlic and the thyme - you should hardly know they are there. Milk, half&half, and cream are all fine used in any proportion you want. The ground up Saltines sounds interesting, and it seems like something a frugal New England housewife might do - I'm going to try that sometime. As to sherry, creme or dry, they have no place in clam chowder - better to enjoy them on the side.

In Rhode Island I've had clam chowder that was excellent but contained no milk or cream at all - it was a nearly clear clam broth with vegetables and chopped clams. I don't know if this is traditional in Rhode Island...

Cheers, John 

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/08/02 17:27:21 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Oregano, basil, Mrs Dash, chili pepper, corn, and margarine have no place in a  New England style clam chowder. One also needs to go very easy on the garlic and the thyme - you should hardly know they are there. Milk, half&half, and cream are all fine used in any proportion you want. The ground up Saltines sounds interesting, and it seems like something a frugal New England housewife might do - I'm going to try that sometime. As to sherry, creme or dry, they have no place in clam chowder - better to enjoy them on the side.

In Rhode Island I've had clam chowder that was excellent but contained no milk or cream at all - it was a nearly clear clam broth with vegetables and chopped clams. I don't know if this is traditional in Rhode Island...

Cheers, John 

What you're referring to is typically called Manhattan Style Clam Chowder.
    Introduction of the Tomato - Tomato-based clam chowders came about with the new-found popularity of the tomato in the mid-1800s and the large population of Italians in New York and the Portuguese fishing communities of Rhode Island. By the 1930s, this tomato version had come to be called Manhattan clam chowder.
    New Yorker's insist on tomatoes in their chowder and call it Manhattan clam chowder. Cookbook writer and chef James Beard (1903-1985) described Manhattan clam chowder as:  ". . . that rather horrendous soup called Manhattan clam chowder. . . resembles a vegetable soup soup that accidentally had some clams dumped into it."

Source: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chowder/ManhattanChowder.htm
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/08/02 17:41:22 (permalink)
    I have read many debates about what is or isn't good Chowder...Manhattan (red), Rhode Island(Clear), or New England(Cream/milk). 

My personal preference is for the thick, creamy, New England Style, Heavy with Large Clam pieces or better, whole Clams. ANyother additions, potato, celery, Bacon pieces, or any other veggie are strictly an option. To be good it should come to the table steaming hot, with swirls of melted butter around the surface. I'll salt and pepper it to taste at the table thank you.

When I say heavy with the clams, I think an equal volume of clams to creamy-base is about right. If you must add the potato in the cooking, keep the volume of clams at 50% and use the other half for everything else.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2010/08/02 17:58:47 (permalink)
    If I don't have real clams in the shell I don't make chowder.

CTF I often cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food.

John---you're right (I think) all that stuff takes away from the
    real essence (heard that on the TV) of the zoop. 

My next door neighbor Gene in Bradenton I Just missed your
    father------I left the foggy shores of SF just before he started the saltine bit. 
    I went up to SNOB hill once in a while------on my way to Sunday Mass so unless he
    was running a soup kitchen we never got acquainted.  Never the twain shall meet.   

Don't know if I was ever in the Fairmont, but in those days I visited a lot of places
    without knowing where I was----generally was not allowed to stay long...Was it near a trolley car that went up and down hills?
    jdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2011/04/01 17:51:11 (permalink)
    Good recipe. I like corn in my clam chowder. Another nice addition is FRESH water chestnuts. Oh, and I do agree, real butter. I even like to melt some butter on top, and dunk a nice slice of Italian bread.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18946
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2011/04/01 18:14:18 (permalink)
    Corn? Margerine? Mrs Dash?

I'll pass.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: Best Clam Chowder Ever 2011/04/03 09:17:27 (permalink)
    There are many good versions of clam chowder, I agree completely about the butter.
    Many years ago, I got a clam chowder recipe from a Junior League cookbook.  What made it different was after making the chowder you made a thick white sauce & then folded it with the chowder.  It makes a really thick & creamy chowder that you cannot achieve without adding the white sauce.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1