Best Cookies

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1173
RE: Best Cookies 2005/08/07 15:10:27 (permalink)
DL - the same thing here - I ordered them with great anticipation, and had the same experience, found them very dry and doughy, not at all what I remembered. Seems with everyone health-conscious, they would come back. I think it was about the mid 80's Sunshine did bring them back for a short while, but they must not have caught on.

Another cookie I really like is Mallomars, which I found here in New Orleans for a short time at Albertson's, then disappeared (Albertson's and the cookie). Almost a tease, but I did read the market was in NY and New England, and the company will not ship during certain warm months, which is miost of the time around here.

Closest to it pinwheels, which I keep in the refrigerator, and are always a treat.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/17 05:40:14 (permalink)
Hello all,
I love homemade cookies. My mom made a moist thick chocolate cookie and a vanilla with raisins cookie that I've never seen repeated. They are truly family cookies she inherited from her mother, who got it from her mother who came from Germany. Mom had no daughters, just 4 sons, and now I have the receipe.
I love oatmeal raisin and also molasses raisin cookies. Pumpkin cookies with raisins are great, too. Hmm, guess I like raisins in cookies.
Storebought cookies worry me, but I have consumed a few oreos and vanilla wafers.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/19 10:37:08 (permalink)
The Bagelry in Potsdam, NY makes two large cookies. One is called the SNoopy (Peanut Butter) and the other is the Brown Bazoobie (chocolate chip).

I liked the brown bazoobie best when it was still warm and gooey, but the snoopy was my favorite of the two.

As far as store bought, I was alsways partial to Freihoffers Chocolate Chip cookies. Small and soft, with the right balance of cookie and chips. AND, since they were small, you didn't fell guilty eating more than a couple....it's when you polished off the box that you felt guilty

serenity2000
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/23 13:43:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:
Originally posted by BelleReve

This is driving me batty trying to remember, In the mid 60's my mother used to pack a cookie in our lunches, they were rectangular, scalloped-edged, with a pink and white frosting. I want to say either it was the cookie or icing that had a licorice taste to it. In the South we have something called Stage Planks, or sometimes "Rock n' Roll" which are more of a gingerbread, and that isn't what I'm referring to.

HEY-- I certainly *DO* remember those scalloped-edged cookies with the pink or white icing! I remeber the icing was pretty firm but I don't quite remember the cookie part as tasting like licorice-- more like a spice cookie, I thought. I have no idea who made them or their name.

Those Stage Planks (I remember them as Rock 'N Roll cookies and they tasted like ginger cookies) can be found here:
http://www.mctweb.com/cart/cart1.html#627497

Pic
http://www.mctweb.com/product/images/627497.jpg
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/23 16:23:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by serenity2000

quote:

quote:

This is driving me batty trying to remember, In the mid 60's my mother used to pack a cookie in our lunches, they were rectangular, scalloped-edged, with a pink and white frosting. I want to say either it was the cookie or icing that had a licorice taste to it. In the South we have something called Stage Planks, or sometimes "Rock n' Roll" which are more of a gingerbread, and that isn't what I'm referring to.

HEY-- I certainly *DO* remember those scalloped-edged cookies with the pink or white icing! I remeber the icing was pretty firm but I don't quite remember the cookie part as tasting like licorice-- more like a spice cookie, I thought. I have no idea who made them or their name.

Those Stage Planks (I remember them as Rock 'N Roll cookies and they tasted like ginger cookies) can be found here:

Pic

Oh my goodness! These look somewhat similar, but I sort of remember the scallop edges as being less pronounced, and the icing was a flat, matte, sheet on top of each cookie and they came in both white and pink, one row each to a package. Did you have these Stage Plank/Rock 'N Roll cookies in the early 1960's which is when we had them around?
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/23 17:22:29 (permalink)
Chewy or Crisp I do not discriminate, There is a place in Boston that I go to when ever I am there or whenever I know someone is going to be in Quincy Market called The Chipyard they make bite sized cookies of various flavors my personal favorites are Choc Chip or Choc/Choc. Chip. I guess they are something of a Boston Landmark, I dont know about that but they are pretty good.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/23 18:05:49 (permalink)
For all you folkks that dont know---their are 19 catagories in the Maryland State Fair for Cookies---Our old friend Meowzart entered 5--in the Ethnic catagory--she took 4th woth her "Day of the Dead cookies"--1st in refridgerator with Choc.wafers and 1st in Other with Ginger Spice cookies---PLUS____those ginger cookies also won BEST OF SHOW!!! Now, dont ya miss her
serenity2000
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/24 01:33:05 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by serenity2000

Pic

Oh my goodness! These look somewhat similar, but I sort of remember the scallop edges as being less pronounced, and the icing was a flat, matte, sheet on top of each cookie and they came in both white and pink, one row each to a package. Did you have these Stage Plank/Rock 'N Roll cookies in the early 1960's which is when we had them around?

Yes the 60's, but I've had Stage Planks as recently as the early 90's. The Rock 'N Roll cookies had more of a red frosting (for whatever reason, the flavor reminded me of those Atomic Fireball candies) and the Stage Planks had the pink frosting; there were 2 cookies to each pack. You're right about the scallops too, I remember them being a bit smaller. That site mentions that the cookies were formerly known as Rock 'N Rolls which are the ones I preferred.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1173
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/24 14:43:30 (permalink)
I think stage planks/rock n roll cookies are the same cookie, gingerbread with a glaze, two thin cookies to a pack, possibly made by different companies? Pre-Katrina, you could find them in most NO grocery stores for about 4 for $1.

In my original post, really more of a nostalgia thing , I was looking for and trying to remember a thicker cookie that came either in pink or white icing with more of a spice taste as was suggested. The icing was denser, sort of like royal icing, but don't know what they were called, and I remember more of a licorice taste, but then again it could have have been clove or molasses, as this was many years ago.
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/25 00:33:26 (permalink)
quote:

In my original post, really more of a nostalgia thing , I was looking for and trying to remember a thicker cookie that came either in pink or white icing with more of a spice taste as was suggested. The icing was denser, sort of like royal icing, but don't know what they were called, and I remember more of a licorice taste, but then again it could have have been clove or molasses, as this was many years ago.

I'm with you, Belle-- especially when you mentioned the thicker cookie, and dense, royal icing-type frosting. I asked my Mom who has similar food memories to mine, and she remembered these cookies that came in both white and pink icing in one package. We both think that they had more of a clove flavor. I feel like the cookie was kind of dry in texture, too. Not a very moist cookie, but not crunchy either.

Now if someone could only share my memory of the round, flat cookies with the shiny white icing and thin black stripes that had a spicy clove-y flavor, I would love it!
checkplease
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Cookies 2005/09/27 14:36:48 (permalink)
Hey all,

First post and I am in the cookie biz - I love em all. I want to say that Archway and Mother's both have a pink and white iced cookie that is crunchy and amybe even a little spicey. It have been a long time since I have eaten them. Look in the "cheap" section of the grocery store cookie isle. Keebler has one called iced animal or circus cookies - they are simliar but not quite the same. I enjoyed the cheap "Iced Oatmeal" cookies -- too hard to eat without a tall glass of milk for dipping until they nearly fall apart.
suzyH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Cookies 2005/11/08 19:27:01 (permalink)
"Here's another store-bought cookie that was available about the same time that I always liked: It was round-- but flat, like a PB or choc. chip cookie-- with a hermit cookie flavor-- nice and mildly spicy, and the icing was smooth white with thin black stripes. Good dunked in milk because the cookie got soft, but the icing remained firm and crackled under your teeth with each bite. Anyone remember and/or know its name?"

Diner-Lover-- I was searching Google, looking for any links to a cookie that I had as a kid-- I loved it and think my son would like it as well. Anyway, this forum came up, and it's definitely the cookie you describe above. This was in the 60's, and I lived in a suburb of Philadelphia. Any chance it was regional?
alb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Best Cookies 2005/11/18 21:51:32 (permalink)
My grandmother made raisin-filled sugar cookies, with a raisin sauce in the middle. She showed me how to make them once when I was a teenager, but nobody in the entire extended family (which includes some mighty fine cooks) has been able to make them just right. There was only one grandma!
partyring
Junior Burger
RE: Best Cookies 2005/12/21 00:05:24 (permalink)
Okay here is the thing. We have three genertions that are remembering a store bought cookie circa 1960's 1970's. Possibly imported (or not). It came square or round with a hard, coloured, glaze type icing. It often had pictures or alphabet letters in the icing. They were yummy. We are looking for a name. Anyone else remember these?
mwisemiu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/05 19:45:52 (permalink)
All these great cookie comments! I made 12 different Christmas Cookies this year and they are so much better than store bought. It's been great fun snatching cookies out of there!

I was having a conversation with my dad about a cookie that seems to have vanished from the stores. I thought at first it was Nutter Butter, but it's not. Nutter Butter is still in stores and it's a peanut shaped sandwich cookie. The one we were remembering came in a rectagular package. The package opened up with two layers of cookies inside. The top layer and bottom layers had to be broken into individual cookies, like a Hershey's candy bar. The cookies were, once broken apart, squares that held a creamy peanut butter filling. The bottom was flat and the top was a bumped up cup-like thing that was filled with the filling. I remember I used to break them apart and lick out all the filling and then eat the crunchy outside cookie part. If you've ever had a candy bar that's filled with fruit filling, that was the shape of those cookies, only bigger. Can't remember for the life of me what they were called. I've even tried doing online searches, but they seem to have disappeared over the years.
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/06 08:50:14 (permalink)
Mwisemiu, I remember those peanut butter cookies! My Mom would often buy those. The cookie part had the taste and texture of a sugar wafer-- kind of crackly when you bit into them, and the creamy PB was fairly generous in those pockets. I'd forgotten about them and just assumed they were still being made. I'll do a search, too, and see if I can remember their name-- I'm pretty sure they were made by Nabisco.
[Edited to add that I did a brief search at Hometown Favorites http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index_dyn.asp in their 'Boy they were good but...' list of discontinued items, but nothing rang a bell. As I was describing the cookies to Mr.D-L and drew a picture of how they looked, I realized that they were shaped almost like a strip of frozen raviolis.]
mwisemiu
Junior Burger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/06 10:39:53 (permalink)
Exactly! A row of ravioli! That sure is a good visual. There are so many store bought cookies that can be made better at home, shortbread and chocolate chip for instance. But who could make those wafers filled with sweet peanut butter? It just kills me that I can't remember what they were called. I, too, have gone through the lists of discontinued cookies, especially at Nabisco, but I didn't see anything that rang a bell with me. I won't give up though. Thanks for the thoughts!
Wander
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/06 11:48:42 (permalink)
Mwisemiu, I recall the cookies that you're talking about. They were indeed Nutter Butter cookies, they used to make 2 varieties, the peanut shaped ones and the wafer cookie type. The ones you seek are called Nutter Butter Creme Patties, and the only place I found them online was at Netgrocer.com, via Amazon.
stephiegirl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/09 10:00:40 (permalink)
I love Monster Cookies. We used to make them only once in a while, but because the batch made so many cookies we were satisfied having them once a year. I also love Oatmeal Scotchies( with butterscotch chips) and for store bought I crave Picadilly Jellies. They were a small square-shaped soft cookie with marshmallow covered coconut and a little red jelly in the middle. I can't find them anymore, but they werer delicious!!
mwisemiu
Junior Burger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/09 10:27:57 (permalink)
Well!! I will most certainly go look those up! Thanks!

Originally posted by Wander

Mwisemiu, I recall the cookies that you're talking about. They were indeed Nutter Butter cookies, they used to make 2 varieties, the peanut shaped ones and the wafer cookie type. The ones you seek are called Nutter Butter Creme Patties, and the only place I found them online was at Netgrocer.com, via Amazon.
mwisemiu
Junior Burger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/09 10:31:38 (permalink)
Sure enough!! There they are!!
http://shop.netgrocer.com/shop.aspx?&sid=1637851&sid_guid=89fff021-5d0b-4822-a8de-1e79f1a23de5&strid=2D462&ns=1

It's refreshing to know that my mind wasn't off-kilter. I really did think they were Nutter Butters. Thanks for giving me a smile!
--Marie
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/09 21:18:25 (permalink)
Mwisemiu, the link you posted takes me to Netgrocer's site but it's advertising Pork Roll Specials at the moment. Do you have another link?
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/09 21:33:20 (permalink)

Here is a brand, not a type b/c all that they make is outstanding!

Bill

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mcduffiesbakery/index.html
mwisemiu
Junior Burger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/10 10:04:44 (permalink)
Diner-Lover, Go to netgrocer.com and type in the search for nutter butter creme patties and it comes right up.

I also did something more exciting today. After doing an online search for the creme patties, I found them online at a few places. So, I thought I'd try an in person search at some grocers aside form the place I normally grocery shop. And guess what!? I found them at PUBLIX! I don't normally shop there. I had no idea they carried them. Heck, I dind't even know that Nabisco still made them until a couple days ago! LOL!! So, thanks to the discussions we've had here, I actually ate some yesterday! Still as good as I remember, but smaller than I remember. I'm not a kid anymore, I guess that's why.

They were about $3 for the package.

Thanks everyone!!

By the way, for some of my Christmas cookies this year, I made Kolaches. Anyone remember those? There was a lot of ethnic influence in the Cleveland, OH area when I was growing up. I think those cookies are maybe Polish or Ukranian. Boy, they sure are good! I made them with nut, poppy seed, raspberry and apricot filling. DELISH!!

--Marie
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/10 10:50:11 (permalink)
Well waddaya know! Thanks, to Wander and Marie for helping me to find Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Creme Patties. I'm off to do a search in our local grocery stores to find them!
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/10 20:38:58 (permalink)
The cookie is natures perfect food. The best cookie, the one thats close to me, with a nice cold glass of milk. To dunk or not to dunk. Better have more than one so I can do both!!!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Best Cookies 2006/01/10 20:49:13 (permalink)
Cookies are way up there for me insofar as what foods you'd take with you to a desert island...right up there with cake (which includes pastry), pizza, hot dogs, bread and steak.

I like almost every kind. However, I particularly enjoy foraging without compunction through those trays of fancy, homemade-style bakery cookies that are everywhere around Christmastime.
The Bear
bROOKE28
Junior Burger
RE: Best Cookies 2006/03/03 01:23:03 (permalink)
I'm looking for the name of a cookie that was around in the 60's. I believe they came in a box. They were bar shaped, chocolate, chewy with a sort of crunchy texture. No peanut butter. We used to get them at a grocery store in central California.
ham-b-guy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Best Cookies 2006/08/10 22:37:58 (permalink)
Nestle Toll House. If you bake them right, There are so chewy and delicous, Then after they cool, they don't harden like most cookies. However, Oreo Cookies aren't bad, but I live the "FRESH" chewy chocolate chip. I remember about a year ago, I used to buy the freshly baked cookies at a Burger king restaurant. So Burger King, bring it back, you have a satisfied customer.
tophersl912
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Cookies 2006/08/16 21:04:55 (permalink)
The best tasting cookie I have had is the iced cut-out cookie from Linda's Kitchen, but all their cookies are soooooo delicious!!!!! This is a small homemade bakery near where i live. Their website is www.lindaskitcheninc.com check it out
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1