Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss

Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
2007/09/13 00:31:27 (permalink)

Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss

Rob Kasper weighed in on the topic in today's Baltimore Sun. It's no mistake that he honed in on these 3. He knows a good crab cake.

www.baltimoresun.com/services/newspaper/printedition/wednesday/taste/bal-fo.takeout12sep12,0,651951.story

14 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 06:22:47 (permalink)

We have done two of the three locations, but as dine-in stops not take-home (that could make a difference!). In the Dine-In catagory we would give the edge to G & M over Fraidley's, mainly because I don't care for eating in the standing position. It's ok for a 'dog or a slice' while moving along, but not for a 'savor the moment' item like a large Crab Cake! we haven't tried the third place but will consider it next time we pass thru the area.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 07:59:06 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with Koco's Pub & Grill. I'm really looking forward to hearing what others say about this place. Just may have to check this place out next time in the area.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 08:31:25 (permalink)
    Try to visit Koco's on Thursday night. The crab cake platter is on special, only $17.95.
    sftreat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 08:34:58 (permalink)
    I still tout the crabcakes at Faidley's even though I have not tried G&M. I've been married to the same woman for twenty years and am totally satisfied with everything about her. The same goes for my crabcake. I am totally satisfied with the cakes at Faidley's and unlike Althemayor, if something is the best you have ever had I don't mind standing to enjoy it. I can't remember the other person who responded that Faidley's mail order cakes are not the same as the cakes you get at the original, but I asked the owner who makes the cakes, a lovely woman, and she stated there is NO difference. Again, I am not saying that G&M are better or worse, but for the full Bawlmer experience you need to go to the market and get the original.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 09:29:31 (permalink)
    I'll preface my comments by saying that since I live local I haven't ordered mail order from either G&M or Faidley's and the mail order versions may be different from the local take out but I'll toss my vote in for Faidley's as well.

I've never been able to get over the amount of filler that G&M puts their crabmeat into. The amount of filler and the congealed mush that the crabmeat sits in makes me a non-believer in regards to G&M being up there as a top three. After repeated visits to both I just don't see what the fuss is and maybe it's biased on what I grew up on.

As Mr. Kaspar mentioned in the Sun article, Faidley's isn't as large as G&M's, but then Faidley's didn't have 3/4's of it's cake as filler.
    I'll have to buy one from each, dis-assemble both and give an idea of how much filler vs crabmeat each one has.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 11:33:01 (permalink)
    I've only had G&M via overnight delivery, but the crabcakes I've had from there were virtually devoid of filler. I'd say the same of the Faidley's, by the way.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7898
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/09/13 15:26:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Beer&Snausages

I'll preface my comments by saying that since I live local I haven't ordered mail order from either G&M or Faidley's and the mail order versions may be different from the local take out but I'll toss my vote in for Faidley's as well.

I've never been able to get over the amount of filler that G&M puts their crabmeat into. The amount of filler and the congealed mush that the crabmeat sits in makes me a non-believer in regards to G&M being up there as a top three. After repeated visits to both I just don't see what the fuss is and maybe it's biased on what I grew up on.

As Mr. Kaspar mentioned in the Sun article, Faidley's isn't as large as G&M's, but then Faidley's didn't have 3/4's of it's cake as filler.
    I'll have to buy one from each, dis-assemble both and give an idea of how much filler vs crabmeat each one has.

I was just at G & M last month. The three of us (including native "Baltimoron" Signman) agreed there was no filler. The crabcake is still in my opinion the best in Baltimore. Faidley's compares as "ok". About 10 years ago, I was visiting a friend who used to live in Baltimore. one of her coworkers recommended Koco's. I didn't go because I wasn't sure where it was. One of these days I will check it out.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/10/14 16:30:38 (permalink)
    If someone can explain, there seems to be a constant dispute in this forum as to whether Faidley's or G&M's crab cakes are better. There is no review of either one in the restaurant section. When it comes to crab cakes in Baltimore, Obrycki's is the only restaurant listed. I know that G&M is not 'in' Baltimore but it is close; but why isn't Obrycki's part of the discussion or why isn't Faidley's or G&M reviewed?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/10/14 18:24:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel

If someone can explain, there seems to be a constant dispute in this forum as to whether Faidley's or G&M's crab cakes are better. There is no review of either one in the restaurant section. When it comes to crab cakes in Baltimore, Obrycki's is the only restaurant listed. I know that G&M is not 'in' Baltimore but it is close; but why isn't Obrycki's part of the discussion or why isn't Faidley's or G&M reviewed?

Kozel,

I would have considered doing a review after my last trip to G & M in August, however I was a little dissatisfied with the way my photos came out. During that trip I was relying a little too much on "natural light" vs flash and my G & M photos came out a little blurry.
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/12/21 12:29:25 (permalink)
    I've been to G & M but not Fraidley's. G & M is outstanding and the best crab cake I have ever had. It is the standard I use for all others.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/12/21 12:50:39 (permalink)
    Yo WJ,

If you are willing to do the write-up, I will gladly allow the use of my photos. I think the ones that I took at G&M turned out a little better than OK.

This was the crab cake photo...

There are a few more located in my flickr account, which has it's own section just for the[url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/sets/72157601634150227/']Baltimore/DC trip[/url].

You should be able to download the original sized photos from flickr. But, if you want me to send the originals, let me know, and you can edit them as you like.

FWIW, I have subsequently had the mail-order cakes from G&M, which I found to be not as "full," but still excellent in taste. I'll be darned if there is a crab cake out there with LESS filling.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/12/21 12:58:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Yo WJ,

If you are willing to do the write-up, I will gladly allow the use of my photos. I think the ones that I took at G&M turned out a little better than OK.

This was the crab cake photo...

There are a few more located in my flickr account, which has it's own section just for the[url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/sets/72157601634150227/']Baltimore/DC trip[/url].

You should be able to download the original sized photos from flickr. But, if you want me to send the originals, let me know, and you can edit them as you like.

FWIW, I have subsequently had the mail-order cakes from G&M, which I found to be not as "full," but still excellent in taste. I'll be darned if there is a crab cake out there with LESS filling.

Thanks!
    I just might. I still regret not using the flash on my digital.
    I'll admit most of your photos came out better, but I still prefer my photos of the "rings"

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/12/21 14:21:46 (permalink)
    Well, I haven't been able to take a decent picture with the new camera yet. Maybe it would help if I read the instruction booklet. It will be interesting to see if I can take one half-decent pic on this upcoming trip!
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Best Crab Cake in Baltimore - Discuss 2007/12/21 20:35:45 (permalink)
    Check out Elizabeth Large's foodblog (she's a food writer/critic for the Baltimore Sun) for three more discussions on the quest for the best crabcakes in Baltimore.

http://tinyurl.com/2q5slb
    http://tinyurl.com/3c66zg
    http://tinyurl.com/2l6oeq

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1