Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Doughnuts

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 84
prius

• Total Posts: 109
Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 6:11 PM (permalink)
Where are the great doughnuts?
Other than Krispy Kreme, doughnuts are abysmal here in this area of the Carolinas.

Red Head

• Total Posts: 22
    RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
    The best doughnuts I've ever had are available this week at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg. They have a food court where they sell food products from the different agriculture groups in Pennsylvania. The potatoe board sells great baked potatoes and the most amazing potato doughnuts. They fry them up fresh all day and they're available plain or with powdered sugar. They're much moister than most doughnuts and they stay soft and delicious for days. We generally make the trip from Philadelphia but this past Satureday we drove our daughter back to Penn State in State College and I made my husband stop in Harrisburg, double park outside the Farm Show so I could run in and buy a dozen doughnuts. They wer definitely worth the detour.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7385
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 7:20 PM (permalink)
      Everyone knows that Southern New England is the Donut Capital of the Nation. Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. You can't go wrong with a donut from any of these states with the exception of Kruddy Kreme or Dumpy Donuts (hey (I'm entitled to my opinion). Even Honey Dew, a local chain has better than average donuts!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
        RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 8:04 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wanderingjew

Everyone knows that Southern New England is the Donut Capital of the Nation. Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. You can't go wrong with a donut from any of these states with the exception of Kruddy Kreme or Dumpy Donuts (hey (I'm entitled to my opinion). Even Honey Dew, a local chain has better than average donuts!

True words----and MUFFINS too! Great local doughnuts and wonderful fresh muffins at every breakfast joint!

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
          RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 9:29 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Red Head

The best doughnuts I've ever had are available this week at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg. They have a food court where they sell food products from the different agriculture groups in Pennsylvania. The potatoe board sells great baked potatoes and the most amazing potato doughnuts. They fry them up fresh all day and they're available plain or with powdered sugar. They're much moister than most doughnuts and they stay soft and delicious for days. We generally make the trip from Philadelphia but this past Satureday we drove our daughter back to Penn State in State College and I made my husband stop in Harrisburg, double park outside the Farm Show so I could run in and buy a dozen doughnuts. They wer definitely worth the detour.

Donuts from potato flour are, of course, the secret behind Spudnuts.

Red Head

• Total Posts: 22
            RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 9:58 PM (permalink)
            I've never had a spudnut; I wish they were available in Philadelphia. I wait all year for the potato donuts at the Farm
            Show.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
              RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 10:11 PM (permalink)
              quote:

Even Honey Dew, a local chain has better than average donuts!

The heck they do. Honeydew is so awful that they opened a location on Harvard Ave in Allston last year and it was open for literally about seven weeks before it closed down.

The best doughnuts in Massachusetts are at Donut Dip in West Springfield, incidentally.

Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
                RE: Best Doughnuts Mon, 01/10/05 10:25 PM (permalink)
                In New England, sadly Dunky D's and Honey Dew have taken over, very few "real" donuts left.....some faves, indy shops that make their own donuts fresh:

Donut Dip in W Spfld (I'll second that...they used to have 2 locations)
                Allies in RI
                Butlers in Westport, MA
                Eat a Donut in Lowell, MA
                Donna's Donuts in Tewksbury, MA
                Kanes in Saugus, MA

Which ones am I missing?

corabeth

• Total Posts: 157
                  RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 8:06 AM (permalink)
                  Long's Bakery in Indianapolis has wonderful donuts. If you come to Indy for the races (Indy 500, NASCAR, or Grand Prix), the bakery is east of the Indianpolis Speedway on E 16th St on the south side of the street

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                    RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 8:35 AM (permalink)
                    Another one in MA is Marty's Donut Land in Ipswich. Clams and a donut, a great combo. Also Twin Donuts in Brighton/Allston. Lucky Bishop has spoken of them before. Some people love them, some hate. Me, I enjoyed the couple of donuts I had there but I am not rushing to get back. Part of thier appeal for me is that they are independent, so I almost will them to be better than they probably are.

Is Eat a Donut in Lowell the one where they make a Chocalate donut filled with marshmallow?

As a donut fiend, I love living in New England!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 8:56 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by tiki

quote:

True words----and MUFFINS too! Great local doughnuts and wonderful fresh muffins at every breakfast joint!

Actually Tiki, Northern New England is Muffin Country. The best are in Maine and Vermont!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 8:58 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

Even Honey Dew, a local chain has better than average donuts!

The heck they do. Honeydew is so awful that they opened a location on Harvard Ave in Allston last year and it was open for literally about seven weeks before it closed down.

The best doughnuts in Massachusetts are at Donut Dip in West Springfield, incidentally.

I don't know about Mass, but the ones here in RI are at least adequate. I'll take an old fashioned at Honey Dew over a greesy sugar water ball at Kruddy kreme any day!

Michael Stern

RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 9:01 AM (permalink)
                          I love New England's cake donuts, compared to which all others seem so insignificant. Here's one on the counter of the Blue Benn Diner in Bennington, VT:

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                            RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 9:12 AM (permalink)
                            Ahh yes, Blue Benn's donuts are great. I was already stuffed from a full breakfast but had to get some anyway.

cleveland66

• Total Posts: 129
                              RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 9:20 AM (permalink)
                              My office is conveniently located 30 yards from a Daylight Donuts. As far as a chain doughnut goes, these are tops.

http://www.daylightdonuts.com

There's also a place here in Ruston called Pete's Sons. Their strawberry glazed cake doughnut has driven me to get up at least an hour earlier than normal, so as to buy a couple fresh ones.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
                                RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                IMO, freshness is very important with a donut. A hot KK is wonderful, and the cream filled "long johns" at the afore mentioned Butlers are devine. The downside is that IMO, they are hardly worth eating after a few hours. In fact, I think that I would prefer a week old Hostess packaged donut to a day old KK. The counterperson at most small donut places will tell you what is fresh if you ask.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                  RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                  Having loads of experience eating an hours old Long John from Butlers, including some that were a day old (god only knows how they survived!), i can attest that they still were very much in the "divine" ranks.

But in general I agree with you, unless a KK is fresh it is not worth it. Which is why I find it odd that they include microwave instructions now on their boxes. I mean, ther eis a reason for that hot light right?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17832
                                    RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                    Not being much of a donut eater -- it's been a few years since I last had one -- I do recall that I really enjoyed a buttermilk donut that I got at some Michigan chain along 1-75 back in the 1980s while on the way to Alpena for a salmon and lake trout trip.

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
                                      RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                      West Columbia, South Carolina. Highway 1. The Barnyard Flea Market. A couple of the vendors have fryers set up and they will sell you a paper sack filled with 13 mini-donuts hot out of the grease. It's about 2 dollars I think.

You may have them dusted with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. But I prefer mine plain. Hot. Yummy.

I'm sure there are better donuts in plenty of places, but their freshness along with the flea market atmosphere make them my favorite.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                        RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by renfrew

Also Twin Donuts in Brighton/Allston. Lucky Bishop has spoken of them before. Some people love them, some hate. Me, I enjoyed the couple of donuts I had there but I am not rushing to get back. Part of thier appeal for me is that they are independent, so I almost will them to be better than they probably are.

Yeah, that about sums them up -- you want them to be good, but they're really not. My wife has lived within walking distance of Twin Donuts nearly her entire life, and she swears that they used to be a lot better than they currently are. The few times I've gotten doughnuts there, they've been adequate at best, and sometimes they're just plain awful. I got a toasted coconut once that I swear was cooked in rancid oil, and frankly, the store's kinda dirty. They're worse than Honeydew.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                          RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Red Head

Don't forget the PA fastnachts (potato flour "doughnuts") which will be available only for a few weeks soon right before Lent. You can get them in PA Dutch territory and are great either w/ powdered sugar or the plain ones (which I used to split open and add Karo syrup).

BTW in the Atlanta area, which is KKreme country, the best doughnuts I get are at Publix (cinnamon twists).

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4483
                                            RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 2:03 PM (permalink)
                                            I think John Belushi said it best:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77fdonuts.phtml

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                              RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                              My favorite is the chocolate covered cake donut at Once Upon a Bagel in Highland Park, IL. They got the recipe from Leonard's in Northbrook, IL. It is perfect, delicious and ... it is baked, not fried! They do include oil in the dough to give it the proper lubrication.

jackier

• Total Posts: 42
                                                RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                                Coffee An' in Westport, CT makes some might good chocolate glazed doughnuts....and other great ones, too.

TFitz

• Total Posts: 63
                                                  RE: Best Doughnuts Tue, 01/11/05 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  There are still a few good bakeries in Baltimore run primarily by German's. My favorite is Fenwick bakery in PArkville which is located in Baltimore county. They make a cake donut like the picture that Michael posted and you can have them put chocolate on top. They also make a thick marsh mellow donut, my favorite. A good second choice is Woodley bakery on Bel Air road in Baltimore city. I'm ready to go now

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                                    RE: Best Doughnuts Wed, 01/12/05 9:42 AM (permalink)
                                                    We have a Mom & Pop operation that opened in my hometown about a year ago that makes excellent fresh doughnuts and other doughnut type items (eg. cinnamon rolls, doughnut holes, cake doughnuts, muffins). Its a great place to get some good coffee and great fresh made doughnuts !

Tony Bad

RE: Best Doughnuts Wed, 01/12/05 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

They are one of the reasons I enjoy visiting my in-laws in Springfield! I was there over New Years, and went over to get my fix and they were Closed for the holiday. I was crushed! They are VERY good, but I think Butlers at the other end of the state are as good...perhaps a tad better. I wish I could compare them today!

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                                                        • Location: Columbia, SC
                                                        RE: Best Doughnuts Wed, 01/12/05 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                        Huntryce! Welcome aboard - first mention I've ever seen on here of the Barnyard! We must practically be neighbors - the 'Yard is about 3 mi from me. Will have to check out the donuts.

If anyone reads this from Cleveland area, particularly West Side, there was (hopefully still is) a little donut shop called Frosty Donuts on Rocky River just south of Lorain at Kamm's Corner that had the best donuts I ever had. The French Cruellers (or shall we now call them Freedom Cruellers?) were incredible.

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
                                                          • Location: columbia, SC
                                                          RE: Best Doughnuts Wed, 01/12/05 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          Hi CarolinaBill. Thanks for the nice welcome. Yep, I'm in the Columbia area. The little donuts aren't available all the time, but are worth looking for.

Just fun you know. Watching the machine flip them and move them along towards the end of the line, so hot that you can barely pop one in your mouth. It's something my son and I look forward to on flea market outings.

mkahn

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Quakertown, PA
                                                            RE: Best Doughnuts Thu, 01/13/05 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            Best I've ever had were at Dreesen's Market in East Hampton, New York. It's a tiny grocery/meat market/coffee bar in the heart of town. The donut machine cranking 'em out is strategically positioned in the storefront window; I've never been able to walk by without buying at least one. On the way out of town after vacations, Mom would buy us 6 or so to last a few days; they rarely lasted until the Southern State Parkway.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 84

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com