Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best French Fries In America?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
John A

• Total Posts: 4295
Best French Fries In America? Fri, 01/25/08 7:53 AM (permalink)

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
    RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 01/25/08 4:03 PM (permalink)
    One place on the list has sadly closed, Frites in Seattle. They were very, very good.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
      RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 01/25/08 8:34 PM (permalink)
      Best French Fries in America? I'm sure the readers of this forum can name some places far better than AOL did. I would nominate Nathan's Famous fries as served at Coney Island, NY.

That AOL story sounds like another one of those "Best Pizza In the Valley" articles you see in those free weekly newspapers. Funny how the shops in their lists all happen to advertise in the newspaper as well.

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
        RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 01/25/08 8:44 PM (permalink)
        Best fries? Cafe Routier in Westbrook, CT. Duck fat rules!

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
          RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 01/25/08 8:46 PM (permalink)
          Everyone knows the best french fries are at McDonald's.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
            RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 01/25/08 8:53 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by David_NYC
            Best French Fries in America? I'm sure the readers of this forum can name some places far better than AOL did.

Agreed although they sure the heck[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2366']didn't[/url]. Too bad as I would've reiterated my vote for the shoe string variety accompanying the fresh grilled fish at San Francisco's great [url='http://www.hayesstreetgrill.com']Hayes Street Grill[/url] (across from that city's Performing Arts Center at 320 Hayes Street).

Such was reviewed in the Stern's "Eat Your Way Across the USA" (1999) and included the accolade that the Grill offered a "sophisticated San Francisco meal to remember."

Indeed, I do.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
              RE: Best French Fries In America? Sun, 01/27/08 9:22 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by hotdogger

99 out of 100 people would think you're out of your mind or don't eat out at real places.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 01/28/08 8:38 AM (permalink)
                These lists are so ridiculous. Their criteria certainly wasn't to find the "best". They obviously wanted to highlight every area of the country. One of their choices is not even made from potatoes, how could they be the best french fries in the country?

buffetbuster

RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 01/28/08 10:57 AM (permalink)
                  I am glad to see the "O" here in Pittsburgh make the list and it is well deserved. I have yet to find french fries elsewhere I enjoy more. And the amount they give you is just ridiculous.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                    RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 01/28/08 2:27 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by sk bob

quote:
                    Originally posted by hotdogger

99 out of 100 people would think you're out of your mind or don't eat out at real places.

actually, I would guess that more people think the best french fries are at McDonald's more than any other restaurant. Sad as that is.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                      RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 01/29/08 11:19 AM (permalink)
                      As much as I think these "best of" lists are crap, I would like to commend aol for not focusing on one type of fry. I myself like a boardwalk fry and a really crispy steak fry. I find that shoes strings are good, but many places mess them up by turning them into dried potato shells. For fast food, I would probably take KFC as it actually looks and tastes as if it came from a potato. I also like the seasoning on it. What I am getting at is many stories only focus on one type of fry (as many people do) and miss out a lot on the fry universe.

Anyway, when I am jonesing for fries in DC Bistro du Coin is not the place I salivate for. Their steak and frites are good, but not outstanding and the place is always overly crowded.

sk bob

RE: Best French Fries In America? Thu, 01/31/08 10:28 PM (permalink)
                        MY opinion of the BEST ff in america would be: fresh cut potatos at the infield consession stand at Lebanon valley Speedway in New York. $2. per order. 3 oders would fill a cardboard carier. + salt & ketchup. THE BEST.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                          RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 02/1/08 12:00 AM (permalink)
                          Jack's Fries sold at the State Fair of Texas is always a must eat for me when I go. They have been around for 50 yrs. or so. I like all kinds of fries though.
                          Joe

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                            RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 02/1/08 12:04 AM (permalink)
                            Nathan's...consistantly unique and different from most bland fries...and YES, MacDonald's is terrible and bland. Sad to think anyone would think they made the best anything!!!!!

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                              RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 02/1/08 9:58 AM (permalink)
                              Ishkabibble's in Philadelphia? I had never heard of that place before. As far as I am concerned, the pommes frites served at Monk's in Philly are the country's best.

nicolem

• Total Posts: 153
                                RE: Best French Fries In America? Fri, 02/1/08 10:38 AM (permalink)
                                Two of my favorites are Al's French Fries in Burlington, Vermont. I also like Cuppers on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights. NJ.
                                Nicole

sk bob

RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 02/4/08 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                  Nathans where? coney island where the cut the spuds fresh , or a mall or rest area place where they're frozen?

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                    RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 7:11 AM (permalink)
                                    Fink's Famous French Fries at Root's Market in E. Petersburg, PA

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                                      RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 12:29 PM (permalink)
                                      Thrashers in Rehobeth Beach Del. and Ocean City Md.It's all they sell, nutin else.

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                                        RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by tamandmik

Ishkabibble's in Philadelphia? I had never heard of that place before. As far as I am concerned, the pommes frites served at Monk's in Philly are the country's best.

They have a spanish french fry-it's fried with onions.hot peppers-they best fries I have ever had(non traditional)

MiamiDon

RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Pigiron

These lists are so ridiculous. Their criteria certainly wasn't to find the "best". They obviously wanted to highlight every area of the country. One of their choices is not even made from potatoes, how could they be the best french fries in the country?

I agree with you, but they do get folks thinking and talking about the food, trying to remember where they had the best fries, and maybe going to one of the places mentioned, if close by (or maybe not so close, for the Roadfoodies!).

At least they did not include McDonald's.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                                            RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by leethebard

Nathan's...consistantly unique and different from most bland fries...and YES, MacDonald's is terrible and bland. Sad to think anyone would think they made the best anything!!!!!

They make the best McGriddle! The mcgriddles are horrible, but they make the best of them.

Slim Strummer

• Total Posts: 233
                                              RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                              In 'n Out is overrated for fries. If in LA, Father's Office in Santa Monica makes great fries (the burgers there are worth a topic of their own).

Extreme Glow

RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                                Best fries I've had in quite some time were from Hillsboro General Store Cafe in Hillsboro, NM along with a pretty good GCCB.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                                  • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                  RE: Best French Fries In America? Tue, 02/5/08 6:47 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'd go from one extreme to the other:

Nathan's Famous at Coney Island (Krinkle Cut) or Cafe Bruxelles on Greenwich Ave, NYC (Belgian)

daytrader106

• Total Posts: 106
                                                    RE: Best French Fries In America? Sun, 02/17/08 4:40 AM (permalink)
                                                    I guess I am out of place. I like a fast food company for the best fries.

Rally's!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                                                      RE: Best French Fries In America? Sun, 02/17/08 7:39 AM (permalink)
                                                      There's a place on the boardwalk in Pt. Pleasant that cuts and fries their own. Great! Forgot the name. Maybe someone who frequents our Jersey shore remembers!

justtable

• Total Posts: 101
                                                        • Location: North Palm Beach, FL
                                                        RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 03/3/08 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                                        I happen to love the large seasoned potato wedges at Lee's famous recipe chicken. The wedges are as rhick as a cigar, obviously baked and then battered and fried.....dee-lish-ous!!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5331&RefID=5231

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                          • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                          RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 03/3/08 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                                          In & Out-no, unless you ask for extra crispy.
                                                          Arthur Bryant's are the ones I look back on fondly.

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
                                                            • Location: East Meadow, NY
                                                            RE: Best French Fries In America? Mon, 03/3/08 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                            Nathan's in Coney Island; as their sign says, "peel 'em, cut 'em, cook 'em". Was there yesterday (3/3) even with the place jammed to the doors, and staff working furiously, the fries and dogs were outstanding.
                                                            Also, don't forget All American in Massapequa. Thicker than the average fast food fry, like Nathan's, fresh cut and fresh cooked. Get 'em a little well done, with a 'double double' burger and you're in fry heaven.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com