Best Ice Cream in the USA..

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/12 15:24:40 (permalink)
I cast my vote for Purity Ice Cream of Ithaca, New York!
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/12 16:35:00 (permalink)
My vote goes to Oberweis ice cream in Aurora, Illinois! It's the only brand I serve as is or use in my ice cream-based desserts. (And I've tried a lot of brands!)

Shara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/12 20:56:09 (permalink)
Goodnoe's Dairy Bar in Newtown, PA, is about a 15-minute drive from my house and is alive and well. Love their chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream. Yum! It's just as popular as ever; if you only want ice cream--specially on a weekend night--best go to the walk-up window or be prepared to wait a loooong time for a booth. They added a large dining room about 10 years ago, but it's still crowded because the area is very built up now ()--the cow pastures are all gone. They still make wonderful beef vegetable soup and mile-high lemon merengue pie, too.

And finediner I remember Greenwood Dairy. The Pig's Dinner had about 12 scoops of ice cream. I never saw anyone order one, let alone finish it, but if you did you got a button that said "I was a pig at Greenwood Dairy."
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2310
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/12 23:14:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I can't get the hang of replying to a post.
BUT, in response to Seafarer John regarding Braum's being too close to the stockyards, Braum's is close to EVERYTHING in Oklahoma City. There is one ever 4 or 5 blocks all around town.

I hope you had a steak at Cattlemen's while you were at the stockyards. There is none better anywhere (unless it's the chateaubriand at Johnny's at the stockyards in Omaha).

I have this vague memory of a meal at Johnnie's. I was a long-haul trucker at the time, and sort of naive. I ordered a ribeye, as I recall, but another guy at a nearby table had the chateaubriand. I was shocked that he was able to have it by himself, since the menu clearly said it was "for two."
jfwest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/09/23 17:55:07 (permalink)
Since 1870, Greater's has been producing some of the best ice cream in America. Based in Cincinnati, they have ice cream shops in Ohio and Kentucky, where you can buy it "over the counter" or packaged for home consumption. This is super-premium ice cream and the selection varies with the season. They will ship but I have had some poor experiences with this. Check out their web site at www.graeters.com.

Another great Cincinnati area ice cream found in grocery stores is produced by United Dairy Farmers. This is a premium ice cream offering some great varieties and combinations.
The-Porcus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2003/10/04 17:52:56 (permalink)
The best ice cream in all the US of A is...gone. It was Steve's Ice Cream of Somerville, Mass. circa 1975. Even on a chilly January weekday night, line ups would be out the door and down the street as the player piano inside tinkled away. My fav' was the coffee ice cream. Then Steve Herrell headed for Vermont or New Hampshire and sold off. Steve's got bigger but, as is so often the case, declined to just good (from nirvana). Steve came back and opened Herrell's near Harvard Square. It's fine 'cream but the magic, alas, is gone. Or maybe it's just my youth that is gone
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/08 01:38:14 (permalink)
I live in Tennessee, but the best ice cream hands down is Painters in Myrtle Beach!! It's locally owned and scrumptious! There's no indoor seating, but several picnic tables and benches under a covered area. I love their butterscotch sundaes! My husband and I go their every day while we're on vacation! Their "claim to fame" is that Vanna White loves to eat there. I also enjoy Brewsters or Brusters in Knoxville, Tn on the corner of Cedar Bluff and Middlebrook. It's another walk-up window kind of place and always crowded!
Pitts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/08 06:36:10 (permalink)
The best chocolate ice cream I've ever tasted is Godivas "Belgian Dark Chocolate". Can be purchased at Wal-Mart. Best soft ice cream, Wilcox Dairy. Made right on the premisis at the Puyallup Fair in the Great State of Washington.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/08 09:03:29 (permalink)
I'm not a huge ice cream eater, but I vote for Kimball Farm Ice Cream in Carlisle, MA. My sister-in-law and her family live up there and whenever we visit I have to get their Grape Nuts Ice Cream... it's amazing! Huge lines in the summer, carloads of families, great atmosphere.
EmilysOven
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/08 11:15:17 (permalink)
I love ice cream and have favorites in a variety of cities. As someone already mentioned, Bruster's in the Atlanta suburbs. In Denver, Josh and John's. They have unusual as well as standard favorites as well as a punch card system where you get more punches the colder it is outside. For all the mention of Blue Belle, I can't believe no one has proclaimed Amy's as the best. Amy's began in Austin, but also has a Houston location. All homemade with flavors ranging from Shiner Bock to a simple Sweet Cream. The crush in all their ingredients on a slab of marble. For custard, there's also Wild About Harry's in Dallas. Now that I'm in Vancouver, well this is a gelato town and the best by far is Casa Gelato. They have almost 500 flavors all made with fresh ingredients, over 200 in the store at anyone time. Flavors range from your standards to balsamic vinegar, roasted garlic, durian, well you get the idea. Best thing is they'll let you sample as many as you want :)

Emily
repartee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/09 10:54:03 (permalink)
Yes, Casa Gelato on Venables.

As there are lots of Asians in Vancouver, you'll have the Durian and Red Bean and Mangosteen and as East Van is also an Italian community, all the Italian flavours too. I have tasted eight in a row (as many as I dare)but my favourites are the butterscotches and caramels.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/09 11:50:38 (permalink)
I think a winner is Sherman Dairy in South Haven, MI. The ice cream is always very good and a good value. If you are from Chicago, as I am, a shorter trip is to Oink's Dutch Treat in New Buffalo, MI. They sell Sherman's ice cream.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6878
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/09 12:41:28 (permalink)
Well's Blue Bunny ice cream from LeMars, Iowa is the BEST I've ever had! Many Wal-Marts carry it under different labels.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1561
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/09 12:55:28 (permalink)

If you're in Chicago, you're missing out if you don't go to Margie's Candies on Western and Armitage. It's an old ice cream parlor that has remained the same since it's inception prior to the 1920's. The ice cream has a high butterfat content but is not overly sweet. The ice cream creations are served in those old-style clamshell shaped porcelain bowls. The turtle sundae is the best that I have had, with a bittersweet chocolate sauce on top. Ridiculous portions for what you pay, open late, and a great old-fashioned atmosphere to beat. The ice-cream is made on site.

Oberweis does make good ice cream, but it lacks the character of Margie's and is becoming a corporate entity, with stores seemingly opening up every week. Oberweis is overpriced as well although it is good and conveniently located.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3304
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/10 15:16:03 (permalink)
My favorite ice cream as a kid was from the original Buffalo's on Irving Park & Pulaski in Chicago. Second was Sherman Dairy in South Haven, Michigan, third was Thompson's(aka Wally's Milk Pail in Lincolnwood)in Park Ridge, and fourth was Lockwood Castle(home of the Giant Killer) on Devon & Caldwell in Chicago. Today, Margie's Candies on Western in Chicago does it for me. In Orvieto, Italy it was chocolate rum gelato and in Vancouver it was hazelnut Mario's Gelato.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6878
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/10 15:17:38 (permalink)
What is a Giant Killer?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/10 15:47:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

What is a Giant Killer?

The Giant Killer was a sundae with multiple scoops of ice cream. I don't remember how many, it could've been somewhere between 8 and 16. It was covered with bananas, hot fudge, carmel, pineapple, nuts marshmallow topping, cherries, and whipped cream. If you ate it by yourself and didn't die, it was free. Our family of 4 never attempted it as a group.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/10 17:35:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

Just got back from vacation on Cape Cod, and while I'm not a huge ice cream fan (at least, not a huge fan relative to how I feel about other sweets and desserts), I LOVE Four Seas ice cream in Centerville. While all of the other ice cream places appear to get modest lines, Four Seas gets a long, long line every night. It's worth the wait.

Phil, I almost forgot about the Four Seas. The ice cream was top notch. Every flavor was better than the next. The only problem was getting served. The place was a mad house and you had to be pushy to finally get served.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/10 19:01:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I enjoy Kohr's frozen custard which still have stands on the South Jersey shore. I also vote for Bassett's of Philadelphia. Located in the Reading Terminal Market for over 100 years, also available in pints in select retailers.

Any frozen custard places in the DC area? Am dying to try some ...
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/11 00:38:56 (permalink)
does anyone recall the name of the ice cream parlor on the southside of chicago fairly close to river oaks in south holland? i think it opened in the mid 80s but it might not be there now. i seem to remember that before it moved there it was someplace closer to downtown and it had been there for years, but decided to move out to a more commercial location. i liked their ice cream and their topping weren't real sweet so it was a nice combination. also is zephyr cafe still around. i always liked going there for a sundae when i was looking for architecture salvage businesses in the area.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 09:38:38 (permalink)
Believe it or not, Thrify Drug Stores in LA had some great ice cream when I lived there back in the 80s. I remember it being really creamy and when you bought a cone the scoop of ice cream was cylinderical instead of round.They also sold it in cartons in the freezer section. Does anyone know if they are still around SoCal?
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 09:48:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I enjoy Kohr's frozen custard which still have stands on the South Jersey shore. I also vote for Bassett's of Philadelphia. Located in the Reading Terminal Market for over 100 years, also available in pints in select retailers.

Any frozen custard places in the DC area? Am dying to try some ...

Behold:

Nielsen's Frozen Custard
in Vienna, Virginia

(http://www.geocities.com/custardmer/)

I've been. It's superb. Do, indeed, go !!

(There's also Milwaukee Frozen Custard [http://www.milwaukeecustard.com/] with a number of locations in Northern Virginia including in both Chantilly and Manassas. FYI.)
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 10:19:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

You are a wealth, no, a veritable font of information, aren't you, concerning eats in the DC area, aren't you?

Shall we play a game, Professor?

Best hot fudge sundae in DC:

Best corned beef:

Fried chicken:

burritos:

Answers (in order):

Thomas Sweets (NW, Washington, DC).

Krupin's (north of Tenleytown, Washington, DC).

Used to be Staub's in Beallsville, Maryland until they closed last year. Now ?? Is Watson's still in business in Frederick?? Help here!

Burrito Brothers (various locations -- yes, a friggin' chain!)

What do you other inside-the-Beltway Road Fooders think
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 10:25:40 (permalink)
Kopp's & Leon's in Milwaukee are the institutions that put custard on the U.S. map.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 15:40:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Kopp's & Leon's in Milwaukee are the institutions that put custard on the U.S. map.

And Kopp's does it better than any I have ever tried. I am just finishing up a 3 month project in Milwaukee and will miss Kopp's greatly. I especially like their "nutty" flavors where they add massive amounts of macadamia nuts, pistascio, toasted-salted pecans and others.
It amazes me that there is ALWAYS a long custard line at either of the Kopp's locations here, day or night, regardless of the temperature outside (I have been here November, December and January). In the South, ice cream was always a summer thing. My father in law ran a very popular ice cream shop in North Carolina for some 30 years (1950-1980), but closed down from early November until late March. Kopp's winter traffic with Wisconsin temperatures would have blown him away!
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 16:45:08 (permalink)
Huntington Country Store in Huntington, MA.
Thelma's in Fairfax County, vA.

Both are top-notch, especially HCS's Cocoanut Chocolate Chip.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/16 18:41:43 (permalink)
Tristan Here in Hoosierland-
Here is the absolute latest on the Thrifty Drug ice Cream---
I was raised on those cylinder shaped cones..it is real fun balancing a triple !!
When RITE-AID bought out the Thrifty Chain, they dumped a lot of what Thrifty was into...but so far the ice cream has remained. Same shape to the cones, Same relatively Low Prices, and half-gallons available for takehome from the freezers. My favorite flavor from them has always been their Apricot Mango Sherbet. Outstanding flavor...but the regular cream is great also
Rather than add another post.....The Rite-Aid/Thrifty Drug chain has the flavor out west...I haven't seen it here in Hoosierland. Or maybe it is a summer special here. But if you see it, buy it.
hotdogger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/18 01:48:26 (permalink)
Carvel ice cream was my favorite growing up. I loved to get soft chocolate ice cream in a wafer cone with chocolate sprinkles.

The Carvel 'Flying Saucers' (ice cream sandwich) and ice cream cakes were the best!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/18 12:10:21 (permalink)
I broached this subject once before and will not return to the scene, thank you very much...
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/18 14:43:39 (permalink)
Has anyone had icecream at "Bud's" in San Francisco?, Rich and delishious(sp). Of coudse San Francisco is the home of "Swensen's" that has gone national. The best ice cream used to be at "Blum's" at the corner of California and Polk Street! Of course it has been gone for many years. The best soft serve I ever had was in Victoria B.C. Canada, the Beacon Hill Drive In, next to Beacon Hill Park.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1