Best Ice Cream in the USA..

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/18 15:17:48 (permalink)
for regular "hard" ice cream-Kimball Farms in Westford,MA
for soft serve especially-but also "hard" ice cream-Ripples on St.Laurent in Montreal-directly across the street from Schwartz's Hebrew Deli (smoked meat heaven)-real cream and vanilla taste in the soft serve.
i know I will come up with more soon.
DaveM
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/20 10:53:49 (permalink)
Has anyone tried an Its-It? Its a kind of chocolate covered ice cream sandwich they sold all over SF when I lived there. I don't know if they are still around but I really miss those tasty little treats.
nodreffahs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/20 11:29:46 (permalink)
Here is Pennsylvania its "The Creamery" at Penn State University. the college's agricultural department makes it and it is the best I've ever had. chocolate for me but you may want to try the "Peachy Paterno." It's located on campus in State College, PA. Definitely woth a stop if you even find yourself in central PA.
RoytheDog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/20 14:26:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by peppertree

I am in Austin. Where is the Nothing Strikes Back ice cream parlor. I have never heard of it. Places like that usually advertise the The Chronicle. I have never seen any ad with that name.
RoytheDog
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/20 14:30:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by peppertree

I am in Austin. Where is the Nothing Strikes Back ice cream parlor. I have never heard of it. Places like that usually advertise the The Chronicle. I have never seen any ad with that name.

Nothing Strikes Back has been gone a long long time. It rated right up there, though, among Austin's coolest places ever! Used to go there regularly after shows at the Armadillo World Headquarters. And yes, they DID make the best malts I've ever had!

tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/24 08:18:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

Carvel ice cream was my favorite growing up. I loved to get soft chocolate ice cream in a wafer cone with chocolate sprinkles.

The Carvel 'Flying Saucers' (ice cream sandwich) and ice cream cakes were the best!

My wife grew up in Rochester NY and when i read this out loud she bolyed upright and said "Oh My god,YES!!!"
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/02/28 02:12:04 (permalink)
Growing up with Howard Johnson's ice cream, I have yet to find a comparable brand. There appear to be no HoJo's left in Florida, but on a recent road trip up the East Coast to Nova Scotia, we stopped in both Connecticut and Maine for fried clams and buttercrunch ice cream. Somehow, the quality and preparation of both have taken a downwards turn. For the most part the clams were overcooked and the ice cream suffered from sugar crystals. HoJo used to pride themselves on their average 19% butterfat content and 28 flavors, at a time when most other suppliers had limitations of less than a half-dozen flavors.
Rit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/03/23 14:04:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bigcat39

Oh my.... nobody is going to mention Dr. Mike's in Bethel, CT?

A person who knows their ice cream. Dr. Mike's was voted in the top four the WORLD. Just a quiet little place behind a store that only uses the best ingredients. The cream comes from a certain privately owned dairy farm 110 miles away every day. Chocolate Lace is a favoite and Chocolate Lace is only made in Bethel as well, next door.

Ask me how I know all of this............
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/03/25 14:07:34 (permalink)
Here in the Piedmont Section of North Carolina, the best is
Tonys Ice Cream. It is a legend and has been here for about 75 years.
People come from all around to eat at Tony's. The best is Black Walnut or Butter Pecan. They also have one unique flavor-Grape.
Several years ago, Gastonia was proclaimed an All American City and
our representatives took Tonys Grape Ice cream to the competition as our signature food. The milkshakes are a meal in themselves too.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/03/25 15:47:42 (permalink)
I'm not here to argue the "Best" today.. It is March 25th, a little over 70 degrees along the Ohio River!! The various Yellow Spring flowers are exploding, AND our local soft-serve ice cream stand (POLLY'S) opened for the season today. It doesn't get much better than this.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/03/27 21:49:21 (permalink)
Handles Ice cream in New Castle Pa , And I think Youngstown OH,
Has been ranked as one of the ten ten best in the US by USA today
Might fine , Huge flaor selection made fresh on premisis,
dgeorge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/04/13 12:26:26 (permalink)
ridgefield ice cream in ridgefield CT is an old Carvel Stand and has the best soft serve ever, virtually no air , each cone must weigh a pound
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/04/13 12:35:20 (permalink)
Well's Blue Bunny! Well's Blue Bunny! I don't even LIKE ice cream and I've been jonesing for the toffee ice cream with Heath Bar pieces......
I could move to Le Mars, Iowa just to be next to Well's Blue Bunny!
Emerald
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/11 01:52:55 (permalink)
Long gone but my favorite treat as a kid was to go to the library and then cross the street to Best-Ever for fresh banana ice cream or English Toffee ice cream. Then, of course, there was the homemade ice-milk with fresh peaches or strawberries. It tasted a bit like the salt used to freeze it in the ice cream maker. We never ever complained that it was made with milk instead of cream.
bsbk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/28 16:56:39 (permalink)
Just came home from Texas, where I was anxious to taste the famous Blue Bell. Hmm...it was very good, but not great. I tried Moolenium Crunch and Vanilla w/ Peaches. Had a better bowl, for my taste, at Amy's in Austin---had Mexican Vanilla with Heath Bars mixed in it. YUM! More like gelato than most american ice creams. Love Ted Drewes and especially the Frozen Dairy Bar in Falls Church, VA, but I am partial to the frozen custard thing anyway. Note that Amy's won the Best Ice Cream in the Chronicle's food section, which is why I tried it (plus it was right across the street).
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/30 10:43:51 (permalink)
CARVEL--- DAIRY QUEEN--- RITTERS.. in that order-- NOTHING beats carvel-- they have the best soft serve and their frozen ice cream cakes ROCK!!! ( and if you don't believe me-- just ask my kids!!! )
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/30 12:32:20 (permalink)
jerseygirl-

I agree with you on ritters custard, its my favorite around here. I remember going to the first stand when it opened in franklin, indiana about ten years ago. It was the first frozen custard I had tasted since my last trip to milwaukee in the early 80s. Since carvel opened last year in indy I have been going there for their butterburgers, but I think ritters custard is creamier.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/30 12:44:22 (permalink)
Tristan,
Isn't the Butterburger a Culver's product. I like the Culver's custard, but prefer 'hard' ice cream if the choice is available.
We used to enjoy Carvel's back in the college days in the NorthEast.
Emerald
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/30 15:45:30 (permalink)
ALOTTAGELATO on Bullard in SilverCity, New Mexico actually has Carmel Gelato (also called Dulce de Leche). Yummm....I tasted the banana, too, made with fresh bananas
njMike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/30 18:29:38 (permalink)
North of Baltimore is Moxley's... really fabulous ice cream. Three stores in Towson, Timonium and Bel Air. They also supply selected stores and restaurants in the area.

Every flavor we've tried was a knockout.

The Timonium store is an easy jump off the Beltway on Rt 45N for those on the way through, too.

http://www.moxleys.com/

BTW, Carvel is offering 70 cent cones/dishes through tomorrow (usually $1.95)!
Prairie Mary
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/31 08:12:47 (permalink)
Best ice cream here and where abouts is Walrus. In old town Fort Collins, Colorado. Flavors are always changing, and always offered is a "joke" flavor such as "4th of July" with beans, beef and BBQ sauce (no one orders it!!). The ice cream is super rich... and always lines forming out of the building onto Mountain Ave. on summer evenings.

- Prairie Mary
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/05/31 18:42:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Tristan,
Isn't the Butterburger a Culver's product. I like the Culver's custard, but prefer 'hard' ice cream if the choice is available.
We used to enjoy Carvel's back in the college days in the NorthEast.
Hi Al,
Yes, Butterburgers are Culver's burgers. I guess I was trying to say that I like Culver's burgers, but Ritters custard over Culver's custard.
KissThisFem
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/06/18 21:14:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Believe it or not, Thrify Drug Stores in LA had some great ice cream when I lived there back in the 80s. I remember it being really creamy and when you bought a cone the scoop of ice cream was cylinderical instead of round.They also sold it in cartons in the freezer section. Does anyone know if they are still around SoCal?
Thrifty drug stores are gone - a pharmacy called Rite Aid bought them out. However, they still serve Thrifty Brand Ice Cream and also sell it in the boxes. I remember as a teenager Consumer Reports had a huge article on Ice Cream. Thrifty Ice Cream won out over all other brands.

I just finished a huge bowl of Chocolate Brownie. Yum. I was wondering if there were any stores in the SouthEast that carry Thrifty Ice cream...even if it was under a different brand name.
Tony27
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/06/21 14:30:01 (permalink)
Wait..

There is a place in Vernon Hills at Hawthron Mall that has the greatest ice cream of today and the future!! DIP N' DOTS!!! Now, you tell me who makes better ice cream that is colder or much cooler looking to eat than Dip N Dots!?!?!! By far it's the BEST!!

You can also find Dip N Dots at Great America.. They need to find a way to make take home paks or Dip N Dots!!

But by FAR... Dip N Dots is THE BEST!!

Tony

BernieG
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/06/21 16:10:45 (permalink)
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2125

With the "best" being somewhat subjective, the Big Dipper in Prospect CT surely rates at or near the top in my humble opinion. Subjectively speaking, the best ice cream I have ever had can be found in Scandinavia. Puts Ben (and Jerry) to shame.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/06/21 16:38:00 (permalink)
I'll answer to you as FEM, rather than "KISS THIS" OK?? I think I mentioned the Thrifty Brand Ice Cream else on this thread, but I will bring back the memory of the Apricot-Mango They still sell in SoCal. I haven't seen it here in the Rite-Aids in Indiana. Now that is a great ingredient for about any of the ice-creamy alcoholic beverages as can be found anywhere.
jjen0926
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/06/29 08:46:25 (permalink)
Do they still have the "4 dipper cone" in Hebron, Il? They used Shoepes ice cream and it was even better than Colonial Ice Cream in St. Charles or Geneva.
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/07/01 16:23:16 (permalink)
In Fredonia, a small town west of Buffalo, N.Y.there is a local working dairy called Aldrich's. The cows are in the back and the dairy/restaurant is in the front. They have great ice cream, all flavors made fresh daily. The thing that sets them apart is that on April Fools Day each year they concoct a "special" ice cream"

Some of the recent flavors have been:
Saurkraut
Bolonga
Ketchup
Beef Stroganoff
Beef Hash

You get the idea. Though I have not actually had any of these. People do line up to sample these special ice creams.

BB
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/07/01 16:48:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Oh my gosh, did you ever hear those wild radio ads for Carvel? The owner's folksy marble-mouthed exhortations to take home "Fudgie the whale!!! used to just crack us up.

"FFFudgie the Whale" That was a staple one-liner of my teenhood. Out of the blue one of us would say "fffudgie the whale", and if the timing was right, my friends would just crack-up.

A bit of trivia...the seasonal Santa cake was made with fudgie's mold, fudgie's tail formed the santa hat.

We saw the commercials on Syracuse tv stations, but I recall the nearest Carvel was near Geneva. Anyhoo...never actually had it.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/07/01 16:52:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony27

Wait..

There is a place in Vernon Hills at Hawthron Mall that has the greatest ice cream of today and the future!! DIP N' DOTS!!! Now, you tell me who makes better ice cream that is colder or much cooler looking to eat than Dip N Dots!?!?!! By far it's the BEST!!

You can also find Dip N Dots at Great America.. They need to find a way to make take home paks or Dip N Dots!!

But by FAR... Dip N Dots is THE BEST!!

Tony

My three friends and I have Yankee season tickets. An ongoing joke among us relates to the Dip N Dot kiosk, which bills the brand as "The Ice Cream of the Future," or something along those lines.

We laugh for two reasons: one, because it's been "the ice cream of the future" for a while now -- not sure when the future will be here. And, two, because the four of us tried it one night, and we all threw it out after a couple of bites. It just tasted like frozen stuff.

To be fair, I can't vouch for the quality-control capability of a Yankee Stadium kiosk. But it didn't taste freezer burned or anything like that. It was...just there.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1