Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Ice Cream in the USA..

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 121 to 150 of 216
Badwaiter

• Total Posts: 21
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Thu, 07/1/04 6:45 PM (permalink)
Just a little more on my love for Carvel. At Comiskey Park in Chicago, US Cellular Field if you acknowlege naming rights, Carvel soft serve is available in the upper deck section 533. Awesome.

And...though I would not go as far as to say that this ice cream is particularly good, Cock Robin (a location right off the Brookfield stop on the Metra Burlington Northern line) serves icecream in a unique square scoop. It has a nice novelty factor at least.

jevmass

• Total Posts: 34
    RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Thu, 07/1/04 8:18 PM (permalink)
    HoJo's ice cream, huh? Can you name all 28 flavors?

Can you list all of Mr. Johnson's twenty-eight flavors?

Banana
    Black Raspberry
    Burgundy Cherry
    Butter Pecan
    Buttercruch
    Butterscotch
    Caramel Fudge
    Chocolate
    Chocolate Chip
    Coconut
    Coffee
    Frozen Pudding
    Fruit Salad
    Fudge Ripple
    Lemon Stick
    Macaroon
    Maple Walnut
    Mocha Chip
    Orange-Pineapple
    Peach
    Peanut Brittle
    Pecan Brittle
    Peppermint Stick
    Pineapple
    Pistachio
    Strawberry
    Strawberry Ripple
    Vanilla

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
      RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Fri, 07/2/04 4:42 AM (permalink)
      Try the campus ice cream shop at your state Ag college, great ice cream and cheap. I've been to the ones at Kansas State and Penn State.

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
        RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Sun, 07/4/04 6:17 PM (permalink)
        I don't know if it's the BEST ice cream in the country, but it sure is yummy. I speak of the Hawk's Hill Creamery stand at the farmer's market in Baltimore. Their motto is "From Our Cows to You", and in addition to custard, they have different varieties of cheese. I have a block of yummy smoked cheddar in my fridge right now.

The ice cream is incredibly rich, smooth custard that rivals any available out there, including the wonderful stuff I got in Wisconsin years ago. This makes ordinary soft serve seem PALTRY.

I will have to check if the people who make this have any other stands, because the farmer's market is only open on Sunday mornings, and I may NEED to have this ice cream 7 days a week!!

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
          RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Sun, 07/4/04 6:50 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:
          Originally posted by Tony27

Wait..

There is a place in Vernon Hills at Hawthron Mall that has the greatest ice cream of today and the future!! DIP N' DOTS!!! Now, you tell me who makes better ice cream that is colder or much cooler looking to eat than Dip N Dots!?!?!! By far it's the BEST!!

You can also find Dip N Dots at Great America.. They need to find a way to make take home paks or Dip N Dots!!

But by FAR... Dip N Dots is THE BEST!!

Tony

My three friends and I have Yankee season tickets. An ongoing joke among us relates to the Dip N Dot kiosk, which bills the brand as "The Ice Cream of the Future," or something along those lines.

We laugh for two reasons: one, because it's been "the ice cream of the future" for a while now -- not sure when the future will be here. And, two, because the four of us tried it one night, and we all threw it out after a couple of bites. It just tasted like frozen stuff.

To be fair, I can't vouch for the quality-control capability of a Yankee Stadium kiosk. But it didn't taste freezer burned or anything like that. It was...just there.

I agree with you, Spudnut. Dip N Dots are just cold.....they have absolutely no flavor to them at all!

Give me a soft-serve cone any day instead.

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
            RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Sat, 07/24/04 6:42 PM (permalink)
            I have discovered an ice cream flavor that to me was out of this world! It's Turkey Hill brand and called "Party Cake," and is currently a "feature flavor" so I don't know if they make it all the time or not.

It's their regular (vanilla) ice cream with pieces of birthday-type cake and frosting swirled through it. I must confess... my daughter and I between the two of us polished off a half gallon in the span of two days. Just wanted to share that we found it to be totally delicious. LOL Of course, we've both been on a low fat diet ... now it's back on the wagon, I suppose. [:P]

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
              RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Sat, 07/24/04 8:11 PM (permalink)
              I had 'Party Cake' once, and haven't seen it again, so I figured maybe it had already been discontinued. It IS yummy!

Another really good product was the Vanilla Gelato I got at Trader Joe's recently. I will definitely be buying more -- really creamy and sweet!

MOUSE313

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 07/27/04 7:40 PM (permalink)
                My vote is for Basset's ice cream. It's a local Philadelphia brand, super premium ice cream. I haven't had a bad flavor, but my personal favorites are Peach & plain old vanilla. If you are ever in Philadelphia, stop in at the Reading Terminal Market,(a great food experience) sit at the counter and enjoy a cone or a dish. It is so rich it deserves to be savored. Not overly sweet and you can really taste the cream. Not something you can make a regular diet of, but a wonderful treat once in awhile! You won't be dissapointed.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                  RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 07/27/04 8:24 PM (permalink)
                  I'm not much of an ice cream guy. I haven't had any in a couple of years. But I did like Breyer's French vanilla and brandied peach ice cream from the Velvet Ice Cream Co. of Utica, Ohio.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                    RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 07/27/04 8:34 PM (permalink)
                    Until last week I had never heard of ---Cold Stone Creamery---but it received two votes from 10 people on Long Island asked about their favorite ice cream. I looked it up and they were voted the 25th fastest growing franchise in the USA. Don't know how much they cost, don't know what they taste like, but they are growing fast.

There are a number of good ice creams available in the markets around here that are not expensive---Edy's & Turkey Hill are two. Ben & Jerrys and Haggen Daz are the high class stuff.

As for Ballparks post that he can see 3 Starbucks from his window in NYC----it is amazing. I was on a bus coming downtown on Broadway from Columbia University----we must have passed 10 of them after I started counting. And I only went a couple of miles.

Tomct

• Total Posts: 4
                      RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Fri, 07/30/04 5:04 PM (permalink)
                      Sundae School in Cape Cod MA, by far. We like the smallest one in East Orleans, but like 'em all, including Dennis and Harwich.

alb

• Total Posts: 47
                        RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Fri, 07/30/04 8:08 PM (permalink)
                        1st place: Blue Bell. Any flavor, but the Vanilla Bean is perfection. Wedding cake ( a new flavor) is really good!

2nd place: Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs OH. Butter pecan and, in the fall, pumpkin.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                          RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 08/3/04 8:58 AM (permalink)
                          I found some Blue Bunny ice cream last night at Walmart. I bought the Bunny Tracks. I am going to try it tonight. Looking forward to it
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by lleechef

Well's Blue Bunny! Well's Blue Bunny! I don't even LIKE ice cream and I've been jonesing for the toffee ice cream with Heath Bar pieces......
                          I could move to Le Mars, Iowa just to be next to Well's Blue Bunny!

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
                            RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 08/3/04 9:12 AM (permalink)
                            Whenever I see Wells Blue Bunny, its usually used as a price leader or sold at a discounted price in the stores. I've always just assumed it was a lower end non-descript type of ice cream. After reading some of these postings, I guess I ought to give it a try.

Tony Bad

RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 08/3/04 9:21 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Until last week I had never heard of ---Cold Stone Creamery---but it received two votes from 10 people on Long Island asked about their favorite ice cream. I looked it up and they were voted the 25th fastest growing franchise in the USA. Don't know how much they cost, don't know what they taste like, but they are growing fast.

I hadn't heard of them either, but prompted by discussion here, I am hoping to check them out. As per their web site, it seems a big part of what they offer is stirred in ingredients. Not a bad idea, but does anybody remember a chain called Steve's about 20 years ago? They were famous for their "mix-ins". I was living in DC at the time, but also saw them while visiting friends in Colorado during the mid-80's.

Steve's seemed to vanish after a few years...or maybe I just lost interest. Are there still Steve's out there? Steve's was okay, but I felt it was more of a novelty. Those exotic flavors are fun, but eventually I return to the basics...a nice vanilla.

As for my favorite ice cream...I'll take a vanilla Mr. Softee cone please.

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                                RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 08/3/04 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

Originally posted by jevmass

Can you list all of Mr. Johnson's twenty-eight flavors?

Banana
                                Black Raspberry
                                Burgundy Cherry
                                Butter Pecan
                                Buttercruch
                                Butterscotch
                                Caramel Fudge
                                Chocolate
                                Chocolate Chip
                                Coconut
                                Coffee
                                Frozen Pudding
                                Fruit Salad
                                Fudge Ripple
                                Lemon Stick
                                Macaroon
                                Maple Walnut
                                Mocha Chip
                                Orange-Pineapple
                                Peach
                                Peanut Brittle
                                Pecan Brittle
                                Peppermint Stick
                                Pineapple
                                Pistachio
                                Strawberry
                                Strawberry Ripple
                                Vanilla

You are missing Mint Chocolate Chip, my favorite Howard Johnson's flavor as a child.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                                  RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 08/3/04 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                  I hadn't thought of Mr Softee in years. I remember fondly sitting on the front steps listening for the sound of the Mr Softee truck playing their familiar tune so I could get a cone of ice cream
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

I hadn't heard of them either, but prompted by discussion here, I am hoping to check them out. As per their web site, it seems a big part of what they offer is stirred in ingredients. Not a bad idea, but does anybody remember a chain called Steve's about 20 years ago? They were famous for their "mix-ins". I was living in DC at the time, but also saw them while visiting friends in Colorado during the mid-80's.

Steve's seemed to vanish after a few years...or maybe I just lost interest. Are there still Steve's out there? Steve's was okay, but I felt it was more of a novelty. Those exotic flavors are fun, but eventually I return to the basics...a nice vanilla.

Tony Bad

RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 08/3/04 10:48 AM (permalink)

I hadn't thought of Mr Softee in years. I remember fondly sitting on the front steps listening for the sound of the Mr Softee truck playing their familiar tune so I could get a cone of ice cream.

I also had many happy memories of doin just that and was very pleasantly surprised when I heard that familiar music after moving to a new neighborhood a few years back. Last night my kids (3 and 4) and I sat on the steps and enjoyed a nice Mr. Softee treat!

marcbla

• Total Posts: 139
                                      RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Thu, 08/19/04 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                      peachy paterno ice cream at the the creamery at penn state university, ben and jerry took their correspondence course to learn how to make it and see how they did!

Tony Bad

RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Thu, 08/19/04 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by marcbla

peachy paterno ice cream at the the creamery at penn state university, ben and jerry took their correspondence course to learn how to make it and see how they did!

Trips through Pennsylvania always take one hour longer than expected, as I HAVE to stop at the Penn State Creamery if nearby. VERY good stuff!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                          RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Thu, 08/26/04 3:07 PM (permalink)
                                          These "Best" lists are really tough---best when---buy whos standards---etc---but in any case ---i know that this summer here in Oklahoma ive been introduced to Bluebell's "Peaches and Homestyle vanilla"-----awesome!!!just finished a big old waffle cone about an hpour ago for lunch! Big old SLICES of ripe peaches---rich and creamy!!! Got to hand it to them Texans---they make great icecream! Ive never found a store buyable icce cream any better then this Peaches and Homestyle vanilla anywhere--as godd as Ben and Jerry's anyday---cheaper too!!! and WAY better then Hagen Das!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                            RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Wed, 09/1/04 3:42 AM (permalink)
                                            Here in Oregon there are a couple of wonderful places. In Portland there is a new place called Stacatto Gelaton. Sherberts, sorbets and ice cream are made with locally grown seaonal fruits and the taste is heavenly. Also, in Tillamook, Oregon, on the coast, the Tillamook cheese factory serves soft ice cream that is fresh and good.

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                              RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Thu, 09/9/04 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                              My vote goes to Stroh's Ice Cream of Detroit - both for their parlours and the prepackaged variety.

I particularly enjoy Stroh's Blue Moon and Black Walnut flavours.

flowercat

• Total Posts: 48
                                                RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Fri, 09/10/04 11:48 AM (permalink)

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                                  • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
                                                  RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Fri, 09/10/04 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                                  I had some good "Brooklyn cheesecake" ice cream Sunday at "Uncle Louie's" (Union at 5th Ave in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn) and a "Friend-Z" at "Friendly's" in New Haven. They both have some very tasty flavors--still no match for "Kopp's" in Milwaukee, but then who is?

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                                                    RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 10/12/04 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

Steves is still around here in Mass, but the glory days are behind them. A few are attached to D'Angelo sandwich shops, in turn owned by Papa Ginos. Steve himself, having sold his own name, sells , I think Herril's ice cream

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                                                      RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 10/12/04 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                      and my local Cold Stone will be open in a few weeks

Tony Bad

RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 10/12/04 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Steves is still around here in Mass, but the glory days are behind them. A few are attached to D'Angelo sandwich shops, in turn owned by Papa Ginos. Steve himself, having sold his own name, sells , I think Herril's ice cream

Thanks for the update. Since you know Steve's, maybe you can report back and tell me if it is much different than what they were doing 20 years ago. It sure seems the same to me.

I hope the people buying the Cold Stone franchises have done their homework, and don't repeat the errors that made Steve's vanish in rather short order!

SoCalGal

• Total Posts: 1
                                                          • Location: Escondido, CA
                                                          RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Tue, 10/12/04 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          Was in the Phoenix area (Mesa or Tempe, not sure where I was at the time) over the weekend and saw my first Carvel store ever. Only know the name from former coworkers who came from New Jersey. Grew up knowing only Baskin Robbins. Realized as an adult that BR was nothing special. Still looking for "special".
                                                          Have to agree with the votes for homemade. I think it's because you worked so hard for it. We took turns cranking in ascending order of age - with Grandpa doing the hard work at the end.

cosmont

• Total Posts: 12
                                                            • Location: Todd, NC
                                                            RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. Wed, 10/13/04 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            CINCINNATI DOESN T JUST BREW CHILI

Try Graeter s and/or Aglamesis' ice creams.........just about unmatched within the USA !!

I d suggest another but your tongue will be stuck to the top of ur mouth after trying the above, so it would be useless........Old Fashioned and CREAMY........TOPS !!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 5 of 8, messages 121 to 150 of 216

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com