Best Ice Cream in the USA..

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/10/15 13:56:34 (permalink)
In Western New York, we have some great ice cream and custard that is manufactured locally. Perry's Ice Cream in Akron, NY was once the premier ice cream in the area but within the past 10 years, have cheapened up their flavor selection. They once had innovative flavors but decided that their cost was prohibitive at the expense of their customers. Here is there site:

http://www.perrysicecream.com/

I only wish Perry's would go back to the old flavors that they produced when the founder and his son ran the business.

Also, we have Anderson's Custard as well as the arrival of Abbott's.
Both are outstanding. Here is the Anderson site.

http://www.andersonscustard.com/

I have to say personally that I really enjoy Friendly's Ice Cream flavor--"Carmel Nut Blast" most of all. As a kid, my favorite flavor was Howard Johnson's Black Raspberry which I loved in a soda!

In addition, Abbott's Custard has sprung up all over WNY area and is a quality product! By the way, Wegman's Ice Cream is made by Perry's but they have a stricter formulation. In the Wegman's store's, their ice cream is actually better tasting than the Perry's brand for less money.

carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/10/21 16:57:54 (permalink)
In SW Ohio Young's Dairy Farm in Yellow Springs and Aglamesis in Cincinnati.
Here in Knoxville, a little homemade ice cream place, quite good, is The Creamery, in Fountain City.

carl reitz
melvin289
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/11/18 05:19:52 (permalink)
In Gastonia, NC is an ice cream parlor so good it will bring tears to your eyes. Tony's Ice Cream on Franklin Ave. has been in business since before time. When I was a wee liitle tyke I remember my father taking us all to Tony's in his 1951 Kaiser. Tony's still serves milkshakes in the 24 ounce paper cups with the long wooden spoons. If you remember wooden dashers in home ice cream makers, you will understand the significance of the wooden spoons.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/11/23 08:19:57 (permalink)
Melvin, welcome to Roadfood-I live in Gastonia-right next door to Bessemer City. I still enjoy Tony's Ice Cream on a regular basis. It is the favorite around here. I also enjoy their hot dogs. Nothing better than a Tony's hot dog and Chocolate Milk Shake
quote:
Originally posted by melvin289

In Gastonia, NC is an ice cream parlor so good it will bring tears to your eyes. Tony's Ice Cream on Franklin Ave. has been in business since before time. When I was a wee liitle tyke I remember my father taking us all to Tony's in his 1951 Kaiser. Tony's still serves milkshakes in the 24 ounce paper cups with the long wooden spoons. If you remember wooden dashers in home ice cream makers, you will understand the significance of the wooden spoons.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/11/23 08:26:13 (permalink)
We have enjoyed Wells Blue Bunny since we found it at Walmart-We like the Bunny Tracks-but this weekend-we found the novelty bars-the one that we bought was caramel ice cream dipped in chocolate with toffee crunch pieces in the chocolate. My husband also got little cups of Rainbow Sherbet-which he like
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Well's Blue Bunny ice cream from LeMars, Iowa is the BEST I've ever had! Many Wal-Marts carry it under different labels.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/12 08:07:14 (permalink)
Blue Bunny when I can find it. Problem is, I can't find it anymore.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/12 08:53:39 (permalink)
Ice cream is ice cream and custard is custard. Both are good but both are different.

For custard, its Ted Drewes. Of course, I live about four blocks away so I'm biased. Don't get plain custard as it's, well, plain. Get a concrete or sundae.

A friend brought me a quart of pumpkin ice cream from Annie's in Wildwood, MO which was excellent. Mangrove Restaurant in StL serves Cedar Crest ice cream from Wisconsin which is great too. Of course at the grocery store you can't beat Godiva Dark Belgian Chocolate.
lionman1198
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/15 17:09:42 (permalink)
Sadly Nothing Strikes Back has been closed for many years. I moved to Austin in 1973 to go to school there and it was there at that time. I think by the time the 1974-75 school year began it was gone. It was located on Guadalupe across from the campus.
Shara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/15 17:57:47 (permalink)
I posted way back when in this thread about Goodnoe's in Newtown, PA, and the long gone Greenwood Dairy in Trenton, NJ. I've also enjoyed Kohr's frozen custard--once everywhere on Jersey shore town boardwalks. I should have also mentioned Gerenser's in New Hope, PA--which has always had an incredible flavor selection (the cheesecake ice creams are great), and I can't believe I forgot my all-time favorite ice-cream--the stuff served at the University of Wisconsin Student Union in Madison, Wisconsin. I believe it is made by the students in the Dairy Food Science (or some such) program. It is out of this world--fresh and deliciously creamy. If you're ever in Madison in the summer, try some. You won't be disappointed!
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/30 09:45:10 (permalink)
The best ice cream ever used to be the chocolate chip flavor at the Gaiety (Gayety?)Theatre candy store on Commercial Avenue in South Chicago. It was made with shaved homemade chocolate candy and was just wonderful. Their caramels were good too.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/30 11:12:22 (permalink)
Originally posted by Hillbilly

You can also find great custard at Ritter's in and around Indianapolis.
[/quote Ritter's is the BEST Custard I ever eaten!!! I would rate Ritter's #1, Culver's #2 and coldstone # 3. But Coldstone is good because of the mixin's, not because it is good custard, coldstone is also alot more expensive than Ritter's and Culver's.

There is both a Ritter's and a Coldstone in Mishawaka, Indiana, and
a Coldstone is suppose to open in spring or summer of 2005. I imagine that all three will do a very good amount of sales, as they are located in a large regional shopping area, also within 5 miles to both the University of Norte Damd and St. Mary's college. I live across the stateline in Michigan, which in factabout 18 miles from this regional shopping area, but we still travel there about 6 times a month because is the only large regional shopping area within 50 miles.

My favorite hard Ice Cream is Sherman's ice cream of South Havem, Michigan, but there ice cream can also be bought at Ice Cream shopps in New Buffalo, Bridgeman, Berrien Center, Decatur and the Orchard Mall in near Benton Haarbor Michigan, just off from I 94,exist 30
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/30 11:18:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

Originally posted by Hillbilly

You can also find great custard at Ritter's in and around Indianapolis.
[/quote Ritter's is the BEST Custard I ever eaten!!! I would rate Ritter's #1, Culver's #2 and coldstone # 3. But Coldstone is good because of the mixin's, not because it is good custard, coldstone is also alot more expensive than Ritter's and Culver's.

There is both a Ritter's and a Coldstone in Mishawaka, Indiana, and
a Coldstone is suppose to open in spring or summer of 2005. I imagine that all three will do a very good amount of sales, as they are located in a large regional shopping area, also within 5 miles to both the University of Norte Damd and St. Mary's college. I live across the stateline in Michigan, which in factabout 18 miles from this regional shopping area, but we still travel there about 6 times a month because is the only large regional shopping area within 50 miles.

My favorite hard Ice Cream is Sherman's ice cream of South Havem, Michigan, but there ice cream can also be bought at Ice Cream shopps in New Buffalo, Bridgeman, Berrien Center, Decatur and the Orchard Mall in near Benton Haarbor Michigan, just off from I 94,exist 30

Corection:

I meant a culver's will open in the spring or summer of 2005
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/30 11:40:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sugarlander

The best ice cream ever used to be the chocolate chip flavor at the Gaiety (Gayety?)Theatre candy store on Commercial Avenue in South Chicago. It was made with shaved homemade chocolate candy and was just wonderful. Their caramels were good too.
Gaiety's is still open, its moved further south to the suburbs. I think its in Lansing on Ridge. I was there about 4 months ago and its still the same great ice cream , not super sweet and delicious fruit toppings and real whipped cream. I use to go to their shop near River Oaks about 20 years ago but its gone now. Never made it to the original on the southside.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2004/12/30 12:16:34 (permalink)
Thanks, Tristan Indiana, I'll look it up the next time I go up north. gaity was too good to go away.
robicheaux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/01/03 13:22:50 (permalink)
If ever traveling I-10 between Houston & Baton Rouge, get off on the Henderson Exit just east of Lafayette & go to Robin's. Though it's has great Seafood, it also has the BEST Homemade Ice Cream in many flavors.
robicheaux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/01/03 13:23:58 (permalink)
In St Pual MN got to THE GRAND OLE CREAMERY, on Grans, it doesn't get any better than their Ice Cream
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/01/04 09:03:51 (permalink)
On Long Island, nothing beats Hildebrandt's, an old fashioned ice cream parlor/rstaurant that has been at the same location on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park since 1927 because, as their business cards say, "One person tells another..". They have unbelievably good homemade ice creams, with seasonal flavors like Pumpkin, Kringle, which has dark chocolate non-pariels mixed into french vanilla ice cream, great regular flavors, homemade hot fudge and butterscotch toppings, milkshakes, malteds, egg creams, and homemade choclates too.

The oweners are really nice people- we used to live in WP and used to walk over every couple of weeks with the kids, who are now 14 and 10. We moved 7 years ago and get there maybe 4 times a year, but every time we walk in, they greet us by name and talk to the kids. Great place.
freeboy
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/01/13 13:57:51 (permalink)
does anyone, remember Gus's sweet shoppe on roscoe st in chicago ill?
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/01/18 19:25:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Herrell's in Northampton and Boston MA is the best I've had. Chocolate pudding and malted vanilla in the same cup is a bit of ice cream heaven. Yes indeedy do.

Steve Herrell used to run Steve's, the original mix-in place. Sold out and started Herrell's. Thank you Steve.

You know, essvee, if I had to choose between your combination and chocolate pudding with fresh raspberry, I might just be there all day... :) thanks for the memory!
marsfm
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/02/26 05:35:36 (permalink)
For all you Kopps and Ted Drewes fans, there is a frozen custard stand in of all places Beverly Hills, CA (inside the Beverly Center Mall) called Silky Smooth Frozen Custard. While they don't sell any food, the custard is out of this world, a match for anything from the midwest. They claim to import their custard from Milwaukee, so it's the real deal. California cows must not be so happy about this, but I sure am, since I waited for over 20 years to re-live my childhood memories of FRESH frozen custard to finally be available in Los Angeles!! It's the BEST I've ever had, even beats my favorite Gelato place in San Diego (Gelato Vero Caffe) which is better than most of the gelato I had in Italy (Venice & Florence) last year...
truvter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/02/28 23:52:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Believe it or not, Thrify Drug Stores in LA had some great ice cream when I lived there back in the 80s. I remember it being really creamy and when you bought a cone the scoop of ice cream was cylinderical instead of round.They also sold it in cartons in the freezer section. Does anyone know if they are still around SoCal?
truvter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/02/28 23:58:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Believe it or not, Thrify Drug Stores in LA had some great ice cream when I lived there back in the 80s. I remember it being really creamy and when you bought a cone the scoop of ice cream was cylinderical instead of round.They also sold it in cartons in the freezer section. Does anyone know if they are still around SoCal?
There is a Thrifty Ice Cream stand in Rite-Aid in Twentynine Palms. I visisted it for the first time tonight and found a flavor of ice cream I have been craving but no-one else carried it. I was so happy that it tasted just like the stuff I used to eat back in VT. Made me feel a little more like home!
icb818
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/03/12 00:53:09 (permalink)
Hey, How About WELDON'S ICE CREAM FACTORY, Millersport, Ohio, off the SW shores of Buckeye Lake... Central Ohio... Family owned ice cream parlor and factory with 3rd generation ice cream makers... been around since 1930.. www.weldons.com
They have a real Ice Cream Parlor right from the 30's and 40's... Very good ice cream too.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/03/17 13:51:10 (permalink)
Best soft serve I've had is Bobbie's Dairy Dip in Nashville. I think they are open from April through September. They have the creamiest soft serve as well as great burgers and such.

Is there a difference between soft serve and frozen custard? Or are these just regional names? I noticed that friends from different places seem to use these terms for the same product.
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/03/17 15:05:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ctfrasier

Is there a difference between soft serve and frozen custard? Or are these just regional names? I noticed that friends from different places seem to use these terms for the same product.

Frozen custard is to soft-serve as Haagen Dazs is to Baskin and Robbins.

Here is the technical answer to your question from the Del Ray Dreamery website:

The Del Ray Dreamery specializes in Wisconsin-style frozen custard. Genuine frozen custard has at least 1.4% egg yolk (pasteurized) and at least 10% milkfat, and is made in a special machine created for producing frozen custard only.

In our custard machine, the custard travels from a refrigerated hopper through a valve into a freezing chamber lined with beaters. As you watch, the frozen custard is pushed through (extruded) out the front of the machine and into a waiting bucket, ready to be served. Because it is not held in the chamber, there is very little air beaten into the custard, referred to as "overrun." This low overrun (20-25%) is what gives frozen custard its wonderfully dense and creamy texture, or "mouthfeel."

By comparison, soft-serve custards, yogurts, and ice creams are made using what is known as a batch freezer, where the mixture remains in the machine and the overrun is as much as 100%.
wdaizy58
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/03/18 09:32:49 (permalink)
Hi, Rocky! Your note caught my eye. I am from Binghamton (grew up in Maine, graduated from ME) and I am looking for an ice cream treat called "Eskimo Pies". Ok...yes they were big in the cafeteria, but my mom stocked our freezer with them in the summer time! If they are still being made and sold in the stores there, would you mind finding out the name of the company, and I will see if we can get them distributed here in florida. You are wonderful for taking the time to read this, so thank you! Denice wdaizy58@aol.com
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/03/18 09:48:52 (permalink)
Originally posted by wdaizy58

Hi, Rocky! Your note caught my eye. I am from Binghamton (grew up in Maine, graduated from ME) and I am looking for an ice cream treat called "Eskimo Pies". Ok...yes they were big in the cafeteria, but my mom stocked our freezer with them in the summer time! If they are still being made and sold in the stores there, would you mind finding out the name of the company, and I will see if we can get them distributed here in florida. You are wonderful for taking the time to read this, so thank you! Denice wdaizy58@aol.com
[/quote

Below is the website for Eskimo Pies!

http://www.eskimopie.com/brands/http://www.eskimopie.com/brands/eskimopie/index.htmleskimopie/index.html
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/03/30 01:47:00 (permalink)
The person who mentioned going to an ag college for ice cream was right-- University of Missouri, here in town, has an ice cream shop that's off the beaten path but has wonderful ice cream-- part of their food science program, I think. They prepackage a little of their "tiger stripe" ice cream, a custardy vanilla with stripes of chocolate, and sell in local grocery stores here in Columbia.

And Angelo Brocato in NO is another wonderful choice.

I never found Ted Drewes to be that great-- maybe I just never got the right flavor.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/04/01 11:46:26 (permalink)
I just ate the last of a pint of Blue Bell Banana Pudding ice cream, and it was great. It was banana ice cream with swirls of vanilla wafers, and something that tasted like whipped cream.

Our Walmart just started carrying Blue Bell, and I'm buying a pint each week to check out all the flavors. Next week I think I'll try the banana split flavor.
ScooterSing
Junior Burger
RE: Best Ice Cream in the USA.. 2005/06/14 12:02:28 (permalink)
Columbus, Oh has become a Mecca for great, great ice cream.
We have had Graeter's http://www.graeters.com/ for a very long time, and it is probably one of the best super premium ice creams around, surpassed only by the new-in-town Denise's Ice Cream http://www.denisesicecream.com/. Man, is that good stuff, and flavors unlike any I've ever seen before.
We also have Jeni's Ice cream, all handcrafted, a super premium wondercream... Then we have several locations of Ritter's Frozen Custard http://www.ritters.com/, which I like pretty well, too. We also have Cold Stone Creamery (very pricey and rather disappointing stuff), Ben And Jerry's, Johnson's Real Ice Cream on Main Street in Bexley (an "In-Town" suburb), Brusters http://www.brustersicecream.com/, and our good old local soft-serve walk-up, the Dairy Twist...
It's a wonder I don't weigh a thousand pounds!
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1