Best Macaroni Salad In The Albany, NY Region

Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2008/07/18 17:21:33 (permalink)

Macaroni salad is such a simple thing, one would think more supermarkets and deli's would get it right. They don't, not in my area, anyway. There is one exception, however. Pellegrino's Deli in Colonie, NY. What makes their macaroni salad exceptional is the utter simplicity of it.

The salad is ditalini pasta, very lightly dressed with mayo with a tiny dice of celery and carrot. This makes for a very light and delightful result.

I have it on good authority, the salad is made by one of the elders in the Pellegrino clan. The salad never varies. The pasta is always expertly done, the mayo very minimal and always just right. The celery and carrot dice is also minimal, just enough to add a little counterpoint to the pasta, but not enough to take over the salad.

Today, it is very hot in River City so I went out of my way to Pellegrino's just to pick up some great macaroni salad. Two tightly packed quarts cost me about 9 dollars. They will not last till morning once the rest of the family finds out about them.

Pellegrino's has a long history in the Capital District as an importer of Italian foods and also makes their own outstanding sausages and deli sandwiches as well as being the best deli around for Boars Head products.

Pellegrino Importing CO 1197 Central Avenue, Colonie, NY 12205

1 Reply Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Best Macaroni Salad In The Albany, NY Region 2008/07/19 08:39:58 (permalink)
    This is one of the few items that never come out the same for me.
    My Mac salad is always different depending on my mood and what's on hand for add ins. Rince and drain the pasta or prepare it while still hot after a quick drain? Type of pasta to use, then again it's my mood, shells, pene, elbows, or bow ties who knows.
    Italin salad dressing, or mayo, or a combination of both.
    Am I adding canned chicken or tuna, shrimp and sometimes scungelli or plain?
    Damn, just sooo many options. Thats why I try to stay with potato salad.
    That seems to be very consistant for me. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1