Best Mail-order King Crab

Author
Chris McCarthy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/12/20 18:51:57 (permalink)

Best Mail-order King Crab

Message says it all.
I currently order Lobster from LiveLOb and love it, but have an interest in King Crab. I know they sell King Crab and theirs is probably just fine, but I was wondering if anyone had an oppinion about the best places to order this item.

Chris.

10 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 18:58:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chris McCarthy

Message says it all.
    I currently order Lobster from LiveLOb and love it, but have an interest in King Crab. I know they sell King Crab and theirs is probably just fine, but I was wondering if anyone had an oppinion about the best places to order this item.

Chris.

I always thought that King Crab was available at most super markets in most cities. I have been able to buy it in New York State, Maryland and Florida. Often, they thaw it and put it in the case but I always ask for it to be frozen when I buy it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18464
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 19:34:35 (permalink)
    I can't imagine king crab not being available at most major supermarkets. But, as Greymo said, always make sure you get it frozen.

One thing: I think it best to make certain you're getting Alaskan-caught king crab, not Russian-caught. It's been my experience that Russian-caught king crab isn't kept as well as Alaskan-caught crab. I've found even frozen stuff from Russia to be mushy.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 19:43:40 (permalink)
    Actually, IMHO, I do enjoy King Crab but prefer Snow Crab.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6840
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 22:00:27 (permalink)
    When you live in Alaska like I do.......what to send as gifts for Christmas or birthdays?? Alaskan seafood and especially king crab. I only use one company. Fisherman's Express. Their quality is superb and the king crab is the big meaty sections, not some freezer-burned scrawny little legs. I am visiting my parents in PA and the other night we had king crab, Kodiak scallops and Prince William Sound shrimp. Delicious. You can order online at www.fishex.com

matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 22:06:12 (permalink)
    Now if my exposure to King had resembled what is on that website, I may have been singing a different tune. lleechef, wouldn't you like to add one more to your Christmas gift list?
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 23:09:59 (permalink)
    After taking a look at the fishex web site, I noted that their largest and most expensive crab legs were caught in the Barents Sea. Isn't this Russian caught or does the Alaskan fleet range this far? Just a question as I really don't know, but looking at a map it makes me wonder.
    Also, I have had the Costco frozen, but sold thawed, king crab many times which costs about a third of the price and have really enjoyed it. I'm sure this is a Barents Sea product based on price, though again, I only raise the question.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/20 23:44:55 (permalink)
    While the Barents Sea does border on Russia, it also borders on Norway. And some of the Alaskan fleet does range that far.
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/21 14:19:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

While the Barents Sea does border on Russia, it also borders on Norway. And some of the Alaskan fleet does range that far.
    something is fishy here...................... lol
    crab from the Barents Sea ????????? lol that's hardly in Alaska, it looks like this Alaskan fish market is selling crab that came from Russia. ...what a shame
    and yes Ron, all the King crab that is sold at your Costco's (seafood road show) did in fact come from Russia.
    It seams 50 years ago the Ruskies transplanted some Alaskan King crab in the Barents Sea. ... the crab love it there and are thriving .... bigger, fatter and cheaper.............
    Michael Hoffman you might be thinking of the Bering Sea......... there would be no way a crab boat from Alaska could navigate across the North Pole on to the other side of the earth........... lot of ice there Michael ....unless of course your thinking of the "northwest passage" although that could be a possibility but one would have to wait for globle warming to melt away the ice......that would be a vary long way to fish for crab............. besides even if they could get to the Barents Sea the Ruskies would blow them out of the water before they set their first trap.....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/21 15:29:46 (permalink)
    The big crabbers can sail from Alaskan waters through the East Siberian Sea, Laptev Sea and Kara Sea to the Barents Sea. And, depending on the time of year they can sail through the southern Arctic.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Best Mail-order King Crab 2007/12/21 15:57:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Michael, please look at your globe. They got a hell of a journey to make that trip. I hope they make a lot of money for their crabs.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1