Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY?

Author
charlieb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
2014/07/19 09:42:27 (permalink)

Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY?

Hi All,
Going to Buffalo on Monday (the 21st) for a couple of days. Looking for a mom & pop places in Buffalo, both for breakfast, and dinner time. Thanks, Charlie.

10 Replies Related Threads

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 10:24:05 (permalink)
    There are a lot of great places to eat around here, depending on what you are looking for.  I recommend the Olive Branch on Union Road in West Seneca for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  It is a diner type place with good breakfast food and other choices.  The hot roast beef sandwich is great and a good deal price-wise, and they have Greek salads as well, with outstanding pita bread.  The Lake Effect Diner on Main Street in Buffalo is also a good choice.  Of course, you can always visit such stalwarts as Ted's Hot Dogs, Anderson's roast beef and ice cream, Anchor Bar and Duffs for chicken wings, Eckl's for roast beef on weck, and so many other places.
    Ed Face
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 12:26:04 (permalink)
    Ted's Hot Dogs is a must. Hot dogs are fantastic and onion rings are amazing. Anchor Bar is a fun place with great wings. Back in the late 70's I went to Buffalo to see Van Morrison AT Shea's Theatre and went to Anchor Bar after, Van and some of his band came in for wings and played with the jazz band that was playing there, very cool. You can't beat great wings, cold beer and Van Morrison singing live.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 13:47:06 (permalink)
    Ed-
    That would have been amazing!  I love Van Morrison.

charlieb-
    Don't overlook Buffalo's excellent ice cream parlors and candy shops, many of which (Condrell's, Alethea's, Parkside, Mike's) are reviewed here on Roadfood.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 17:24:33 (permalink)
    Wherever you go, you need to get a Beef on a Weck! 
    cementhead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 19:09:59 (permalink)
    Anything about the Buffalo area is of interest to me right now. Going to be spending the next few months ( mon-fri)there. Due to long work days takeout or fast service type places are more of interest to me
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 20:37:00 (permalink)
    if you go to teds  try a loganberry shake.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/19 22:08:39 (permalink)
    starfire62-
    For years, I have just been automatically been ordering the loganberry juice during visits to Ted's (and other places like Charlie the Butcher's), until noticing the loganberry shake during a visit earlier this year.  It was excellent and will be my regular order from now on!
    charlieb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/23 17:47:53 (permalink)
    Hi All,
        Monday afternoon, Ted's hot dog, a foot long hotdog. Two small hot dogs, cost cheaper than a foot long hot dog. Lol.
         My first stop on Tuesday morning, was, "The House of Pancakes!" on Main St. (Rt. 5)  Saw it while riding around Buffalo. One thing that got my attention, is seafood omelet. 3 eggs. It did not say what's in it, so had to ask. Crab, Shrimp, and clams, with cheese sauce. Damn, can't let that one go. U can add one of the three cheese that they have. I end up choosing the Swiss cheese. It was The Bomb! The omelet, was the biggest I have ever seen. So at the end, had to ask if they had put it into the microwave. She said, No!" The omelet goes into the oven. No wonder it was big.       Will go back there again.
        Tuesday evening, went to, The Lake Effect Diner on Main Street in Buffalo. Had the roach beef on weck, and drilled  mac & cheese. Yes, mac & cheese on the drill. They drill it a little bit, turn the bottom side up, and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of it.
        Wednesday, went to the Olive Branch on Union Rd. Not a fan of Greek food. It is good. Pita bread was great. Won't go there again.
        Wednesday night, I went to, The House of Pancakes for dinner, ended up walking out, as they don't have anything on the menu for dinner. No wonder the place looks empty. Ended up at the Creekview Restaurant, on 5629 Main St. (Rt. 5) Had French Onion Crook, 1 1/2 Rosemary Grilled Rack of Lamb, and a Mudslide cheesecake. Great dinner.  Later, Charlie.
    post edited by charlieb - 2014/07/24 05:54:46
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/24 14:01:53 (permalink)
    Charlie,

Glad to hear that you were able to get to a few places, and I hope you had a good time here.  Too bad that the Olive Branch didn't work out.  Sometimes places aren't a person's cup of tea, and that is understandable.  It is funny because I was there Wednesday evening for supper, debating the chicken pot pie or the hot roast beef sandwich.  The sandwich won, but the pot pie looked good.  Anyway, hope you have a chance to come back again and try a few more spots - there are a lot around here.
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re: Best Mom & Pop in Buffalo, NY? 2014/07/24 22:07:38 (permalink)
    if you get a chance charlie try the polish villa on union rd near com park blvd for breakfast or dinner.if dinner try the broasted chicken.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1