Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots???

Author
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2011/05/28 12:01:24 (permalink)

Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots???

What are the best Breakfast places in Northern NJ. I searched this forum for NJ/New Jersey and only got 4 results.  Are all the NJ RdFders sleeping in?  I go to breakfast every Saturday with at least one of my 3 sons and we keep hitting the same diners near Montclair, gets boring after awhile.  Raymond's is good but noisy.  Original House of Pancakes in North Caldwell is good but expensive (although huge portions make up for it).  I like a very cinnamony French Toast - not on the challah or other over thick bread most places serve.  Yet to find a really special one (although the Pancake House [more of a diner really]  in West Orange is pretty good).
What are your favorite places??

15 Replies Related Threads

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1311
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/05/28 13:33:07 (permalink)
    WarmBeer What are the best Breakfast places in Northern NJ. I searched this forum for NJ/New Jersey and only got 4 results.  Are all the NJ RdFders sleeping in?  I go to breakfast every Saturday with at least one of my 3 sons and we keep hitting the same diners near Montclair, gets boring after awhile.  Raymond's is good but noisy.  Original House of Pancakes in North Caldwell is good but expensive (although huge portions make up for it).  I like a very cinnamony French Toast - not on the challah or other over thick bread most places serve.  Yet to find a really special one (although the Pancake House [more of a diner really]  in West Orange is pretty good). What are your favorite places??

One other note about Original House of Pancakes: best corned beef hash I ever had.

Have you tried the Country Pancake House in Ridgewood, yet? Very nice breakfast menu; I especially like their frittatas (sp?). And fresh squeezed juices.

Bart

post edited by bartl - 2011/05/28 14:02:20
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/05/28 14:41:09 (permalink)
    When I was last in northern NJ, I wanted to go to the Tick Tock Diner for breakfast.

http://www.theticktockdiner.com/

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/232/tick-tock-diner
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/05/28 16:23:54 (permalink)
    We went to the Tick Tock once - .  My son and I agreed, could see no reason whatsoever for the hype.  Very disappointing.  I've been to over 30 DDD recommends and only 1 or 2 have disappointed.  TTD was one of them.  We decided Guy must have liked their dinners 'cause he could not have gone there based on the breakfast we had.  And although they have redone the outside in recent years the interior is down right raggedy.  Does Road Food ever withdraw a recommendation?  If so this is IMO a place they should reconsider.
    bartl
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/05/29 10:36:22 (permalink)
    WarmBeer We went to the Tick Tock once - .  My son and I agreed, could see no reason whatsoever for the hype.  Very disappointing.  I've been to over 30 DDD recommends and only 1 or 2 have disappointed.  TTD was one of them.

I've mentioned on another thread that my wife and I were also very disappointed by the TTD. My lambburger was interesting, and good, but not worth another trip, and my wife's meat loaf was unacceptable (it appeared to have been reheated several times; she didn't eat it, they didn't charge for it). Based at least on the look of the food on other people's plates, it appeared to be an average New Jersey diner.

Bart
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/05/29 17:04:11 (permalink)
    WarmBeer

What are the best Breakfast places in Northern NJ. 

Perhaps not as northern as I suspect you prefer, our favorite NJ breakfast is the Clinton Station Diner in Clinton -  http://www.clintonstationdiner.com/

WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/01 12:56:32 (permalink)
    A bit far to go for our weekly breakfasts, but pass right by it on the way to visit my folks in PA.  Will have to get an early start next time and try it for BF.   Any particular dish a favorite?
    post edited by WarmBeer - 2011/06/01 13:00:38
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/13 13:02:24 (permalink)
    I moved to North Jersey one year ago from the city, and I have yet to have a great breakfast in a restaurant.  Going out for brunch was one of our favorite activities as city dwellers, and we had a thousand great options.  My conclusion is that suburbanites don't view breakfast as a destination meal.  Every town has a diner, and that's where everyone goes, good or bad. 

I got a little excited when I passed a fancy new pancake shack called Stacks having a grand opening nearby, but the reviews on yelp were so universally bad, I'm not going to even bother to try.  The Country Pancake House in Ridgewood gets some nice notices.  I think we'll have to try it soon. 
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/13 17:19:28 (permalink)
    Pigiron

I moved to North Jersey one year ago from the city, and I have yet to have a great breakfast in a restaurant.  Going out for brunch was one of our favorite activities as city dwellers, and we had a thousand great options.  My conclusion is that suburbanites don't view breakfast as a destination meal.  Every town has a diner, and that's where everyone goes, good or bad.  

That's an interesting analysis, Pigiron.
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/14 12:19:48 (permalink)
    Pigiron
     The Country Pancake House in Ridgewood gets some nice notices.  I think we'll have to try it soon.  

I sing in the Ridgewood UU choir twice a year.  Been there afterwards once.  Popular, noisy, nothing memorable.  Next time went around the corner to Tre Voci.  More up scale, but had a delicious nutty flavored French Toast and nice quiet setting.  Tried to go back there next time but no longer serve breakfast.  Guess they could not compete. Sad when a popular but mediocre (IMO) place beats out better food.
    josefinajoisey
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/15 09:05:34 (permalink)
    My favorite places for breakfast are the Rutherford Pancake House (great corned beef hash)

and the Colonial Diner in Lyndhurst.
    I absolutely agree about the Tick Tock.  I've been there a few times, and have been underwhelmed each time.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1597
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/16 22:03:19 (permalink)
    When we first went to the Country Pancake House about 5 years ago we thought it was great, but in 3 or 4 additional visits since then it seems to have gone downhill. We've pretty much given up on it.

Our current favorite for breakfast is the Brownstone Diner in Jersey City, which may or may not be considered "North" Jersey, but it's probably only 20 minutes from Bloomfield. And they have a parking lot (good to know in JC):
    http://brownstonediner.com/

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/17 08:04:29 (permalink)
    ken8038

When we first went to the Country Pancake House about 5 years ago we thought it was great, but in 3 or 4 additional visits since then it seems to have gone downhill. We've pretty much given up on it.

Our current favorite for breakfast is the Brownstone Diner in Jersey City, which may or may not be considered "North" Jersey, but it's probably only 20 minutes from Bloomfield. And they have a parking lot (good to know in JC):
    http://brownstonediner.com/

And there were lines out the door BEFORE it was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives!
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/18 06:30:24 (permalink)
    ken8038
    Our current favorite for breakfast is the Brownstone Diner in Jersey City, which may or may not be considered "North" Jersey, but it's probably only 20 minutes from Bloomfield.

Tried that place once after seeing it on DDD.  Tried one of their pancake wraps, which had been featured.  Was not impressed with that dish.  The ingredients did not mesh together very well.  I think the pancake tended to somehow make it all have  a too dry mouth feel.
    Have seen others here recommend it.  Have to give it another shot.  What items do you enjoy most Ken?
    ed
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1597
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/18 18:27:59 (permalink)
    <<What items do you enjoy most Ken?>>
    I tend to favor omlettes over pancakes. The country omlette with sausage, cheddar cheese and potatoes is the one I really enjoy. My wife and daughter love the basic buttermilk pancakes.
    bartl
    Re:Best Northern NJ Breakfast Spots??? 2011/06/20 01:28:16 (permalink)
    ken8038 When we first went to the Country Pancake House about 5 years ago we thought it was great, but in 3 or 4 additional visits since then it seems to have gone downhill. We've pretty much given up on it.

I haven't been there in about a year, and, frankly, all I ever order there is the fritatas, and they were still good the last time I had one (which, IIRC, was their pastrami, swiss and scallion one).

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1