Hot!Best Onion Rings

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
2007/01/21 15:27:37
The best onion rings I have tasted are the ones at Hard Times Cafe, a restaurant that we have in Virginia and Maryland. Before I tasted theirs, I had never been crazy about onion rings and the reason why theirs are so good is because they use a cornbread batter, which gives it a flaky, bready texture. What are your favorite onion ring brands?
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/21 17:57:59
popeyes chicken makes awesome rings
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/21 18:42:33
A restaurant that was popular in the 70s here in Milwaukee,JoJos,had the best onion rings I have ever had...beer battered and thick slices of onion..
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/21 18:54:16
Are you talking the thin ones, which have more taste, or the fat ones?
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/21 18:57:13
Fat ones
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/21 19:18:07
The best onion rings I have had lately was at Ted's in Tonowanda, NY, just outside Buffalo. And theirs are the skinny ones.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/21 20:45:12
Simple beer battered onion rings are the best. A lot of restaurants spice them up but that seems hit or miss with me. They don't always do it right. As to the best I can't recall. I just know when they are done right they are good and it is so easy to mess up by over or under frying or using old cooking oil.
V960
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/22 10:43:44
River City Cafe in Murrel's Inlet SC. An order comes on a stick and is a max of eight rings. We split an order among four.
Rowsdower98
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/24 22:48:30
The Varsity in Atlanta, Giant beer battered rings fried on long skewer dealies. Awesome.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 01:27:46
Dearfolk,
The best onion rings I've ever had come from Pete's On Concord in Anderson, South Carolina. The second best are from The Time Drive-In in Seneca, South Carolina... only about 25 miles distant.
For some reason, I just don't like those at The Varsity. Maybe I'm a heretic or something, needing to be burned at the steak.
Doggedly, Ort. Carlton in Crispy Athens, Georgia.
P. S. My friend Adrian says the best he ever had were at Joe Cotton's Drive-In on Lee Street in Atlanta's West End. "Their buttermilk batter made the difference," he opines.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 01:53:28
Best onion rings are the ones that are the beer battered, thick cut ones dipped by hand... Seems like they're a dying breed around here though.. Guess the premade IQF ones are taking charge for the convience.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 02:08:37
Next time your in Dallas, head out to Sonny Bryan's BBQ. Best onion rings in the USA. Well, at least, the best in Dallas.
doggydaddy
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 05:37:15

They're all good to me. I do not ever order french fries when I have the option for rings instead.
There are exceptions to the quality and presentation. For instance, I never cared for the Onion Brick that was served at Tony Roma's. I have yet to try a Bloomin' Onion as I have no intention to go to Outback Steakhouse.
But I am not that fussy. Where I work we use frozen onion rings. They are not that good, as they look like they were untouched by human hands and were made by a machine. I feel guilty serving them, though I have no problem eating them.

mark
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 06:55:29
quote:
Originally posted by phatphil

popeyes chicken makes awesome rings

I totally agree, Popeyes has some of the best onion rings around.

They remind very much of the onion rings served at Red's Diner in Lewistown Pa.

Crunchy, light flakey coating, good fresh out of the fryer, mine rarely make it home without me tasting to see if they're good or not.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 07:18:13
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Next time your in Dallas, head out to Sonny Bryan's BBQ. Best onion rings in the USA. Well, at least, the best in Dallas.

Ditto
SWOhioGuy
Hamburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 08:44:41
Hut's Hamburgers, Austin.

http://hutshamburgers.citysearch.com/page/o4j9/Burgers___Stuff.html
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 09:49:03
My favorite, Finch's in Raleigh, NC offers more of an onion tangle than onion rings. The cook drops a batch of raw rings into a pail of his special batter/dip and then transfers them to the fryer. It's a bit of a challenge to separate them, but they are yummy.
mland520
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/25 10:47:00
for those in Dallas- Cheddar's makes some really good onion rings and the serving can feed 4 or more.
billyboy
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/01/29 18:52:13
Teddy's Restaurant in Rome, Ny makes Beer Battered Onion Rings that are described as humongous are they really are!! I'm usually only good for a half order.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/01 08:30:57
Overlook Hospital in Summit NJ.

Thats right, you heard correct. They have a cafeteria in which uses real onion rings dipped in batter. Not ground up cornmeal flavored with onion shaped into a ring.
SassyGritsAL
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/05 10:18:53
I too, like the onion rings at Popeyes and also like the ones at Cheeburger, Cheeburger. The ones at Popeyes are spicy and thick, while the ones at Cheeburger, Cheeburger and thin and crispy. I like em both.
divefl
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/05 10:20:56
My favorite are funions. Kidding. I like the really thin onion rings or loaves or straws. I don't like it when the onion seperates itself from the breading if you don't bite perfectly on the fat rings.
keen5
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/05 16:32:22
TJ Rockwells - Elizabethtown, PA (love the beer battered rings and the sauce for dipping)
Lancaster Brewing Company (beer battered)- Plum St. Lancaster PA
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/07 13:31:39
I like em all ... from fat rings to straws.
battered, breaded, floured ...
I had a "bloomin onion" somewheres a while back ... delish cousin of the onion ring.

When I was a kid, there used to be a restaurant in the Detroit area called "Biffs" ... I think it was a small chain. They had great battered onion rings.
janifer
Hamburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/07 13:54:36
Popeyes spicy onion rings were the best! Our two Popeyes in Tallahassee don't carry o-rings anymore and I thought the chain had discontinued them. Now that I know they haven't I can keep an eye out for Popeyes when I'm beyond this region. Thx for the info.

quote:
Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

I too, like the onion rings at Popeyes and also like the ones at Cheeburger, Cheeburger. The ones at Popeyes are spicy and thick, while the ones at Cheeburger, Cheeburger and thin and crispy. I like em both.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/09/08 02:15:10
Kopper Kettle- Trevose, PA order a side of hot sauce to dip them in...

Tony
ddhosh
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/10/03 19:35:32
My favorite is IHOP and Red Robbin...I can't find a copycat recipe. Anyone have a good restaurant recipe?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/11/04 09:27:21
Seeing the picture of onion rings from the restaurant of the day, Mobile's Dew Drop Inn

reminded me of the appearance of Tunica's Blue and White rings, by far the best onion rings I've ever tasted. They have fantastic grits, eggs, biscuits and country ham with red eye gravy for breakfast, but if you don't mind waiting they claim they're happy to make you fried chicken with onion rings at 6am for a breakfast you'll never forget. I'm so glad I don''t live nearby or I'd weigh 600 pounds easy!
rainroosty
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/11/04 10:35:00
...Best onion rings in our area has to be at Sonic...they're perfect!
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/11/04 10:36:58
TO ME

SONIC
CHAR HUT TAMARAC FL.
HACKNEYS, GLENVIEW ILL.
ces1948
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/11/04 18:13:42
Believe it or not our local Dairy Queen (which serves a lot of local items)has some mighty good OR.
divefl
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/11/04 18:56:22
I like a thin onion stack. And then I put it on everything.

Hard times I like the frito pie. With Terilingua.
essvee
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/22 12:56:40
A famous rapper whose name I cannot recall opened a Fatburger here in the Bay Area a couple two three years ago. I eventually went, because although I'm not fond of the unholy trio of McDs, BK and Wendy's, I do enjoy a double-double from time to time and I had heard good things about Fatburger. After all, SoCal is king of the hamburger joints.

I was shocked and aghast by the price of the meal, but the onion rings were superb. Thin and sweetly oniony, with the ethereal batter flaking off here and there. Really good. The hamburger was not worth the price, especially when Val's Burgers is twenty minutes away, but those onion rings...
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/22 14:01:54
hackneys in glenview illinois and sonic
Frankman
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/22 14:18:22
HoJo's in Fairfield Ct. used to have great onion rings.
Also Tomlinson's in Bridgeport CT. before they expanded the store.
chlyn
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/22 22:55:20
I'm with essvee - always in search of "ethereal" batter.

The best onion rings I've had, with the aforementioned ethereal batter, are at Elisha's in Milford, NH.

There was also a sidewalk counter window in Nantucket, on the pier where the ferry comes in, with an ethereal batter, this time on fried clams. A fried clam roll and a root beer cost me $12. Hey, it's an island, ya know!
jzwagar
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/22 23:22:40
Best onion rings I've ever had were those served as "bedding" for a steak at Feils Supper Club just south of the little Dutch community of Randolph, Wisconsin. They were of the ultra-thin variety, made "in house" and absolutely addictive. Gotta get back there!
Jon
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/29 22:54:40
I agree with the post about the ultra-thin rings. Hamburger Hamlet here in LA had great ones, with a corn meal batter. I agree that the really thick rings are unpleasant to eat when the onion slides out of the batter, and the beer batter always seems to be some flour thing, not corn meal, as I like it.

Have folks tried the differences between red, white, and yellow onions? I know they are a little small, but if you were patient, you could try using shallots. Those might be really great. Sometimes you can find Mexican green onions. The bulbs are about the same size as shallots. Huh, what about selecting thin green onion, or slicing bigger ones lengthwise, you'd have fried green onion sticks. Of course you'd trim them about 6 inches long.

-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/30 09:01:02
Nick's Nest in Holyoke, Massachusetts just added rings, and I enjoyed them ... problem is, they only have one size and it is not practical to order if you are alone.
Logan2
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2007/12/30 09:11:05
I agree with those who like them very thin and crispy. Hackneys in Glenview, Illinois has some very good onion loafs. Ask for them to be stirred and cooked well.
rifmstr625
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/03/01 18:16:09

Well this topic does not look like it has had post added in a very long time. I will add mine anyway because someone on a quest to find the perfect onion ring may come along and read it.

To find the best onion rings on the planet you have to travel to either Oklahoma City, OK and find your way to Split T's BBQ or make your way to El Paso, TX and the Charcoaler Drive-In. Both places have melt in your mouth rings that are unequaled anywhere else...and I have been looking for over 40 years.
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/04/09 09:05:49
To keep this thread alive I'll add my vote for the onion rings at the Ringside Steakhouse in Portland, OR. Just went down there last weekend and had an order. Fantastic!!
divefl
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/04/09 09:12:24
Threads don't die. They just take a nap. Thank you for waking this one up. Is there a variety of onion rings that a onion ring tour could be done, or more likely... is there any place that does NOT offer almost all varieties of onion rings? Not really any onion ring cities.
billyboy
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/04/09 09:36:13
Check out these pics from another onion ring thread:

I love onion rings, onion straws and most onions in all of their glorious incarnations!

Whether it be Haystack Onions from Smokin' Al's (deadly, as I'm only having a few small strings from this towering mountain! Yeah right, then about 30 minutes later I've consumed enough to fill my hollow leg. Grandma always said my "hollow leg" is where I put it all...

Teddy's Humongous Onion Rings-I love those beer-battered babies...

or the insanely crunchy breaded rings at 99 Miles to Philly.

I used to get the "Blooming Onion" at the Great NY State Fair in Syracuse, but I often found that it was very greasy and the grease relegated the onion and batter to "bit player" status when it came to taste, so I've shied away from it for years now.

I did spend some time I Walla Walla and Maui and found that they grow some mighty fine onions there. Never had any onion rings for some reason, but ate some of the best onion soup I've ever had (no Gruyere cheese or croutons needed for those soups) and bought some very tasty onion dips, dressings and mustards.

JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/04/09 09:38:33
The best I have had are the onion petals (not "rings") at Superdawg in Chicago. A different cut of onion, sliced against the ring, as opposed to the more common way of slicing parallel to the ring. Thick, but not overly thick with a good breading and served crisp.
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/04/27 10:39:22
I'll nominate the Onion Rings offered at Cheli's Chili Bar in Dearborn, MI. Shared an order at dinner last night. As served to us, they appeared very similar to billyboy's photo of Teddy's ORs.
db1105
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/05/09 20:14:29
Dockside Dave's at Mederia Beach, Florida at John's Pass.
joem15
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/05/09 21:41:09
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

A restaurant that was popular in the 70s here in Milwaukee,JoJos,had the best onion rings I have ever had...beer battered and thick slices of onion..

Jakes on 61st and North Avenue in Milwaukee in the 60's, 70's and 80's(not the Jakes Deli at 1634 W. North Ave. in Milwaukee that is often, justifiably, cited on on roadfood.com as a premier purveyor of corned beef and pastrami sandwiches)served the finest thin cut onion rings that I have ever eaten in my life.

A typical dinner at Jakes, back then, consisted of a choice of a 6 or 8 Oz. tenderloin (pan sauted), a green salad, choice of potato (fries or baked), loaf of warm bread on a cutting board with a cup of whipped butter, a carousel of condiments for the salad or bread (bacon bits, chopped onion,sour cream)and a huge mound of sliver thin breaded onion rings.

Oh my, as I recall it went like this: A VO Manhattan then a cold crisp green salad with sour cream dressing, warm bread topped with whipped AA sweet cream butter, a sauted 8 oz. beef tenderloin,hot and pink in the center, smothered in crispy thin deep fried onion rings. A good draught beer with the meal and maybe a coffee and a Grand Marnier after.

All that for two was about $20/$25 around 1980.

Sorry, I digressed. The mention of onion rings brings back vivid memories of Jake's in Milwaukee on 61st and north (actually Tosa).
MsDiPesto
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/06/23 23:50:02
Unfortunately, the local Popeye's is abysmal, and serves up dried out chicken, and the last batch of onion rings from there was the stringy, outer rind of onion, battered, friend, and inedible.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/06/24 01:32:18
Phatphil...the Char-Hut does indeed make a really good onion ring...Best thing they serve IMHO. I'm going to try Sonic just because you are right on the $ with Char Hut. Normally, would not think Sonic would have a good onion ring..But, I'm there!

Rutt's Hut in Clifton, known for their NJ deep fried hot dogs, also makes a real good onion ring. Watch em perform right before your eyes, too.

The Varsity in Atlanta makes a decent onion ring.

My favorite onion rings are at a place that doesn't actually serve them as an order..You can only get them when you order their famous steak sandwich. The place is Tracy's Nine Mile House in Little Ferry, NJ. They are the thin kind of onion ring with very little breading...Just dusted with flour, fried crisp and really delicious..long lasting(yeah, they do repeat on you).

This is a great little restaurant that has been there for more than 50 years (art deco interior) that makes a really unique steak sandwich. Thinly sliced london broil (you need to order it medium rare!) with sauteed in butter mushrooms and topped with those great onion rings and non-descript fries.
caratzas
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/06/24 04:25:53
For my money it's gotta be Burger King.

Nah, just kidding. Though they weren't technically rings, I used to love the fried onions that always came with the meal at Manero's in Greenwich, CT. And Duchess Restaurants, a small fast-food chain here in SW CT, does great onion rings, in the thin, not breaded but lightly battered style. And somebody mentioned Ted's of Tonawanda above. There are few things I miss about Buffalo and Ted's is most of 'em.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/06/27 16:42:07
Went to Sonic today to try their onion rings on Phatphil's recommendation. Got there at 11:45 AM and was told that half the prep crew did not show up to work (Daytona Beach). It would be 30 minutes before the onion rings wopuld be ready.

On the one hand, I was disappointed, but on the other hand maybe not. Does that mean they make their own onion rings? I thought I was going to get a decent frozen version. I had no idea they might actually make them right there!

I will try again next week and report back.
Gio
Junior Burger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/07/05 12:35:40
I'll put a third nod in for Sonic. Also, RUNZA out here in the Mid-West has pretty good onion rings and Winsteads in KC is good as well
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/07/05 12:53:01
Sonic onion rings,at least in the two places we tried were way to sweet..almost as if they were dipped in pancake batter, not a beer batter...We did not finish them!!!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/07/06 12:38:41
Actually my favorites aren't rings at all--but whole green onions\cooked in very hot peanut oil with Tempura batter!!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/07/10 09:11:30
Phatphil...Finally got back to Sonic ... Yesterday afternoon and tried the onion rings. Not bad at all!!! A huge portion for the price ($1.55). Yes, Lee was right. They were a bit sweet. but when I put the salt on them, they had a really nice taste to them. If I'm at Sonic again, I'd order them. I like Sonic's drinks. Especially their cherry limeade.

You know this is a very clever chain. They place most of their marketing emphasis on their drinks ..the highest yielding profit makers on the menu.

I noticed a very interesting ice cube shape they were using. I have never seen this before. Their ice was in the shape of a rabbit pellet! I have no idea why they went to this shape but I have to bet there is a good reason. Anyone know?
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/12/26 18:07:22
Red robin has some good rings
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2008/12/26 18:30:52
Krazy Jim Blimpy Burger Ann Arbor MI. Hand battered goodness.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Onion Rings 2009/01/03 20:13:06
Got an order of rings from Hooters on Weds. Man was it good
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Onion Rings 2009/01/13 07:41:19
Hmm, I had forgotten about Sonic's onion rings. That and a Cherry Limeade might be lunch today. Might even be a trip report, it's out of town for me. 
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial