Best Pancakes EVER!!!

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4321
2014/07/30 10:27:16 (permalink)

Best Pancakes EVER!!!

Maybe this is not as significant as Charles Goodyear accidentally discovering the Vulcanization of rubber on his stove, but even though the result is also from a chemical reaction, these results sure as Hell taste better!

And the 'formula' is far easier.

Get:
1)  "Great Value Extra Fluffy Pancake Mix" (accept no substitutes) from Wal-Mart.
2)  Oranges.

Just follow the directions on the box and
add the zest of one orange for each cup of the mix used.

Let the mix rest for 5 minutes to let the acidity of the zest work its magic with the baking soda already in the mix.

Griddle & serve.

Enjoy with butter and pure grade B maple syrup.

---------------------------

These pancakes have just a pleasant hint of orange flavor and are indeed extra fluffy. 
But, the remarkable thing is how well they stand up to the butter and syrup.

Mrs. Metro is a pancake connoisseur, yet she agrees with me that these are the best we've had anywhere

29 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8386
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/07/30 12:13:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the "recipe"!

Have you tried the griddle side on your Griddler?

I now have 2 recipes to try when I eventually plug it in thanks to you.

Thanks!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/07/30 18:45:02 (permalink)
    mar52, we use the griddle plates of our Griddler only as a press flat top for Panini-type sammies, fresh ground sausage patties, split hot dogs, etc.  For those apps it's fantastic. 

However, we do not use it in its open configuration for eggs or pancakes.  Our 'high tech' cooktop and cookware are more convenient for such 'one side at a time' apps.  
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/07/30 20:42:27 (permalink)
    Aha!

I'm going to do a kitchen remodel and if space allows I'm going for a 36 inch Wolf, either built-in or full range.  I think I want the grill in the center, but will I be disappointed I didn't get the griddle?  I can always put a griddle across the burners is my way of thinking so far.

If I ever get home!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/07/31 10:18:38 (permalink)
    Avoid downdraft grills. 
    They are a nightmare and never work as one hopes they will. 
    If you must have a grill on a cooktop you must also have a low, full hood. 
    The last two homes I've bought had downdraft vents built-in.  
    Both original downdraft grill tops had already been replaced. 
    (Mrs. Metro II still has the Jenn-Air I had installed (and vented) in 1985).

Here's what we have -- and love:

+  =

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/01 09:34:20 (permalink)

When mentioning what is now my ex-wife's Jenn-Air, I forgot to mention the fact that downdraft grill cooktops soon become roach motels.

After every messy use even the most thorough cooktop cleaning still does not get to the drippings that fall into the heating elements.  After they cool off it's dinner time for the cock-a-roaches.

It was a total waste of 1,900 1985 $ (easily three grand today).

After a few months I bought a gas grill for the deck and never used the Jenn-Air grill again.

From that point on the only purpose that roach trap served was to impress guests -- Ooohh, you have a Jenn-Air! --  if only they knew! 

One of them actually did:  a patent lawyer buddy saw it and said, "So, you have a $2,000 roach motel, too!"  

EDIT:

Here's a picture of one just like my POS (except we had pig-tail burners). 

See that nice clock? 

That was where I first noticed the freaking ROACHES" />;
    they were crawling around inside the clock!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/03 11:23:29
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2783
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/01 20:55:56 (permalink)
    I'm trying these tomorrow (the pancakes, not the roaches). They better be good.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/01 22:25:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I used to service the indoor Jenn-Air.  Parts became impossible to get until Thermadore bought them.

Very clever company.  They sold the name and kept the company.  The Jenn-Air name has been sold many times.  I think that Home Depot now owns it.
    istillhatepeas
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/01 22:57:33 (permalink)
    I must agree that Walmart has the best pancake mix. Most often I would make my own with lemon or orange zest, a trick I learned from Ina Garten. Something about citrus and maple syrup just works! I would often keep Krusteaz around for extra lazy days, but it just wasn't ever as good to my taste buds. Anyway, while house sitting I decided to make pancakes and they had the Walmart brand in the pantry which I reluctantly used. I added zest and hoped for the best. Cue the angels singing!  Best pancake mix I've ever used and I have been a convert ever since. I still prefer homemade, but the husband really enjoys that extra fluffy texture.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/02 00:40:49 (permalink)
    My granddaughter is spending the weekend with us and I was going to make stuffed French toast but I'm gonna make stuffed pancakes or waffles instead Using "THE MIX"!
    MetroplexJim:
    Have you ever made waffles with it?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/02 10:09:54 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    My granddaughter is spending the weekend with us and I was going to make stuffed French toast but I'm gonna make stuffed pancakes or waffles instead Using "THE MIX"!
    MetroplexJim:
    Have you ever made waffles with it?

No, but I see no reason why they would not be outstanding as well.  Let me know.

(The one kitchen gadget we do not have is a waffle-maker).
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/02 10:17:17 (permalink)
    istillhatepeas
    I must agree that Walmart has the best pancake mix. Most often I would make my own with lemon or orange zest, a trick I learned from Ina Garten. Something about citrus and maple syrup just works! I would often keep Krusteaz around for extra lazy days, but it just wasn't ever as good to my taste buds. Anyway, while house sitting I decided to make pancakes and they had the Walmart brand in the pantry which I reluctantly used. I added zest and hoped for the best. Cue the angels singing!  Best pancake mix I've ever used and I have been a convert ever since. I still prefer homemade, but the husband really enjoys that extra fluffy texture.

Welcome to Roadfood!

I wasn't kidding about the orange zest + WallyWorld 'Extra Fluffy' (not to be confused with their 'Buttermilk' variety).

------------------------

(Peas aren't my favorite either; I can endure them only when mixed with a generous fork-full of MP & gravy!)
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/02 10:51:56 (permalink)
    It's true!!!!

Darn good pancakes, considering that I made them. Best box mix batch that I have ever had.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/02 10:59:05 (permalink)
    mar52
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I used to service the indoor Jenn-Air.  Parts became impossible to get until Thermadore bought them.

Very clever company.  They sold the name and kept the company.  The Jenn-Air name has been sold many times.  I think that Home Depot now owns it.

Actually, since 2006, Jenn-Air is the 'luxury' brand of Whirlpool.

For all my mocking of the ex-wife's 'roach motel' we ended up buying mostly Jenn-Air brand when we moved to Texas and re-applianced the kitchen in 2006:  dishwasher, fridge, and double oven.  We went Viking for the cooktop, though.

The Jenn-Air stuff has super heavy duty construction (and handles!) and they have performed perfectly for the past 8 and counting years.  The only thing that required any repair was the ice-maker.  The tech said that the Jenn-Air icemaker was $375, but the identical Whirlpool was $135.  We went with the latter.

The dishwasher is the quietest I've ever owned or seen anywhere.  After six years it started to make a (very) little noise and I called our dealer.  They said to use Dishwasher Magic (available @ Wal-Mart); now it is as quiet as ever, using this inexpensive product every three months or so:

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/03 11:31:43
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/05 19:32:30 (permalink)
    istillhatepeas

Tried 'the recipe' again this morning using lemon zest instead of orange.

Again, a delightful result that stands up very well to the butter and syrup.

And, again, WELCOME TO ROADFOOD!!! 

Keep on posting; OKC is a roadfood paradise.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/05 19:33:58
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/05 21:28:46 (permalink)
    I went to Walmart and this one didn't carry the regular fluffy mix, only the buttermilk kind.  So I bought it but haven't tried it since my Granddaughter wanted French Toast instead. I'll try it this weekend. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/06 09:41:04 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    I went to Walmart and this one didn't carry the regular fluffy mix, only the buttermilk kind.  So I bought it but haven't tried it since my Granddaughter wanted French Toast instead. I'll try it this weekend. 

I first learned about Wal-Mart's 'extra fluffy' mix here on Roadfood. 

The original poster said that he was told by a Wal-Mart employee that they are often sold out because restaurants come in at 5 AM and buy them out!  That poster also said that the buttermilk variety is not nearly as good.  We've tried both and I agree.

That said, I'm sure that citrus zest will 'raise the bar' with the buttermilk variety.

Try another Wal-Mart; I'm sure greater Phx has a ton of them.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/06 21:27:55 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Foodbme

I first learned about Wal-Mart's 'extra fluffy' mix here on Roadfood. 

The original poster said that he was told by a Wal-Mart employee that they are often sold out because restaurants come in at 5 AM and buy them out!  That poster also said that the buttermilk variety is not nearly as good.  We've tried both and I agree.

That said, I'm sure that citrus zest will 'raise the bar' with the buttermilk variety.

Try another Wal-Mart; I'm sure greater Phx has a ton of them.

You can spit from one Walmart parking lot and hit the next one!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/07 09:55:01 (permalink)
    Then let your fingers do the walking and see which one has the 'extra fluffy' in stock!

BTW, here in McKinney (pop. 140K) we already have three Wal-Mart Super Centers; in addition, they are now building a 'neighborhood market', their 'grocery only' store.
    istillhatepeas
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/09 00:26:51 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    istillhatepeas

Tried 'the recipe' again this morning using lemon zest instead of orange.

Again, a delightful result that stands up very well to the butter and syrup.

And, again, WELCOME TO ROADFOOD!!! 

Keep on posting; OKC is a roadfood paradise.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've lurked for years, YEARS! And it was your mention of 'Walmart's Extra Fluffy" that finally inspired me to post.  
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/09 09:38:39 (permalink)
    Good!  And just to keep you posting -- try Wally-World's "Sam's Choice" brands. 

We just got an excellent salsa under that label and the "Sam's Choice Thin Crust frozen pizzas" are the best I've ever tried.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/09 10:39:54 (permalink)
    Boooo!

Walmart sucks eggs. Buy ALDI store brands for superior quality.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/10 14:00:08 (permalink)
    We tried Aldi's several times after they opened in the Metroplex and did like a (very) few of their brands:  cheese puffs and a decent spaghetti sauce, but in general they're not worth the hassle for a few items.  Their prices, however, are wonderful.  In fact, I came to notice that those who actually purchase food with their food stamps are their very best customers.

In general, you are right about Wal-Mart's 'Great Value' products.  I once bought their hot dog buns and wondered if there was actually any wheat used to produce them!  Their 'Extra Fluffy Pancake Mix' is a wonderful exception, like Aldi's cheese puffs.  They have hit a home-run with that formula.  And, their new "Sam's Choice" line rocks - at least for the few items I have tried.  BTW, the price point for that line is right up there with the national brands.

The best house brand anything I ever bought was Safeway's 'Town House English Muffin Toasting Bread'.  It was so good a loaf of sliced bread that it had to contain tons of stuff that pissed off the food police - which most likely explains why the last time I saw it was back in the '80's.  But it made the best toast ever. 

EDIT:  I should also mention Costco's 'Kirkland' Brand - that brand truly rocks and is better than most national brands on everything from sliced almonds to batteries to Italian 120 Merino wool dress slacks.  (The latter are presently on sale for $39, $10 off their regular price.  The same quality at Nordstrom costs $150+).

If you didn't see it, here is an absolutely fascinating CNBC special on Costco.  The testing products go through to earn the Kirkland Brand is especially worthy of your taking a look at.  That starts at minute 37:00.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/10 14:31:06
    whatnameisnottaken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/10 16:42:21 (permalink)
    Speaking of good store brands, Clover Vally thin mint cookies, sold at Dollar General, are a sure match for the GS cookies. I don't advocate buying them when GS cookies are being sold as I like to contribute to the little kids, but when you have a hankerin' and there's nary a GS to be found, they will def tide you over!
    iceomat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/24 19:25:37 (permalink)
    I tried this last weekend. Very good! Thanks for the recipe.
    JohnnyBe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/25 05:29:42 (permalink)
    thanks for sharing the pancakes recipe! sounds like a one that is worth to try ;-)
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/25 07:48:48 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    We tried Aldi's several times after they opened in the Metroplex and did like a (very) few of their brands:  cheese puffs and a decent spaghetti sauce, but in general they're not worth the hassle for a few items.  Their prices, however, are wonderful.  In fact, I came to notice that those who actually purchase food with their food stamps are their very best customers.

In general, you are right about Wal-Mart's 'Great Value' products.  I once bought their hot dog buns and wondered if there was actually any wheat used to produce them!  Their 'Extra Fluffy Pancake Mix' is a wonderful exception, like Aldi's cheese puffs.  They have hit a home-run with that formula.  And, their new "Sam's Choice" line rocks - at least for the few items I have tried.  BTW, the price point for that line is right up there with the national brands.

The best house brand anything I ever bought was Safeway's 'Town House English Muffin Toasting Bread'.  It was so good a loaf of sliced bread that it had to contain tons of stuff that pissed off the food police - which most likely explains why the last time I saw it was back in the '80's.  But it made the best toast ever. 

EDIT:  I should also mention Costco's 'Kirkland' Brand - that brand truly rocks and is better than most national brands on everything from sliced almonds to batteries to Italian 120 Merino wool dress slacks.  (The latter are presently on sale for $39, $10 off their regular price.  The same quality at Nordstrom costs $150+).

If you didn't see it, here is an absolutely fascinating CNBC special on Costco.  The testing products go through to earn the Kirkland Brand is especially worthy of your taking a look at.  That starts at minute 37:00.

I saw this on CNBC...fascinating. if you haven't seen it, you should take a look. Costco does a great job creating products...and their Kirkland brand is usually superb!!!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/08/30 15:08:25 (permalink)
    JohnnyBe
    thanks for sharing the pancakes recipe! sounds like a one that is worth to try ;-)

Give it a try and tell us what you think!

I'm very happy that all who have tried it so far seem to have liked it very much.
    JohnnyBe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/09/02 04:49:32 (permalink)
    finally got time to make the pancakes with your recipe. And: my girlfriend liked it very much and so did I  I especially went to to buy maple syrup but was absolutely worth it. Don't know why I havn't tried pancakes with orange flavor yet.
    I wonder why pancakes aren't that popular as breakfast food items (statista.com/statistics/262493/leading-us-breakfast-food-items-2011/). With your recipe it would definitely change ;)
    post edited by JohnnyBe - 2014/09/02 04:50:51
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Best Pancakes EVER!!! 2014/09/02 07:32:25 (permalink)
    JohnnyBe
    finally got time to make the pancakes with your recipe. And: my girlfriend liked it very much and so did I  I especially went to to buy maple syrup but was absolutely worth it. Don't know why I havn't tried pancakes with orange flavor yet.
    I wonder why pancakes aren't that popular as breakfast food items (statista.com/statistics/262493/leading-us-breakfast-food-items-2011/). With your recipe it would definitely change ;)

The orange zest is not just for flavor.  It reacts with the baking soda in the mix both to enhance fluffiness and to make the pancake "stand up" to the maple syrup, i.e., the syrup does not make the pancake disintegrate.  And, the zest from any citrus works just as well; try limes or lemons as some above have done.

And, pure maple syrup (Grade B is the best, BTW) is quite the revelation over the other commercial 'pancake syrups' out there, e.g., Mrs. Butterworth, Log Cabin, et al.

Glad you and (especially) your girlfriend liked them.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1