Best Pic Picks

Author
Ermo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Joined: 2006/02/02 16:15:00
  • Location: Undisclosed Location, XX
  • Status: offline
2006/02/07 10:11:44 (permalink)

Best Pic Picks

Anybody see all five Best Picture nominees?

Care to make any predictions ... or at least express a preference?
#1

13 Replies Related Threads

    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
    • Location: San Francisco, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/07 12:13:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ermo

    Anybody see all five Best Picture nominees?

    Care to make any predictions ... or at least express a preference?


    To be honest, I can't remember for sure what got nominated. I've seen Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Goodnight/Good Luck, and Munich. I think all 4 of them did plus, if memory serves, Memoirs of a Geisha. Of the ones I've seen, I think Brokeback will win "Best Picture" and "Best Director" and probably "Best Supporting Actress"(Michelle Williams), and William Seymore Hoffman will win "Best Actor" for Capote. There's an outside chance George Clooney will get "Best Director" for Good Night/Good Luck, but I suspect they want to give it to Ang Lee.

    For anybody who hasn't seen Brokeback, especially if you were put off by the subject matter and most especially, I think, if you are a woman, you should. As a matter of fact, it may make an excellent Valentines Day weekend date flick. I saw it first in New York--in Chelsea where it first opened--because I figured they'd never show it here in Arizona. But when they surprised me and did show it, I went again as much to see what kind of business it did as anything. Turns out it did very good business and all the comments I overheard from the audience after it was over were very positive. The elderly lady right behind me said (slight paraphrase) "Oh, I didn't know it would be like THAT" to her equally elderly husband. I think she was crying.

    Just for the record, I'll make one comment that folks who have seen it will understand: I think the portrayal of the initial (sexual) encouter between Jack and Ennis is very wrong. It's one of only 2 such encounters--both quite tastefully done, really--portrayed but I think the tone is off and the second such encounter is much more like what would likely have taken place given the other circumstances of the script. Just a thought, but for me it's the movie's one weakness.
    #2
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 20:02:00
    • Location: Ipswich Ma
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/07 13:41:04 (permalink)
    Last time I was in a movie theater Rocky was playing, thats the Rocky with no numbers. I could care less and don't think I'm missing anything. Jim
    #3
    Ermo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Joined: 2006/02/02 16:15:00
    • Location: Undisclosed Location, XX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/07 14:05:59 (permalink)
    BT -

    You are right about the first 4 being nominated, but the 5th nominee is Crash.

    I have seen only Brokeback Mountain, Munich and Crash. I liked them all, but of the 3 my choice would be Munich. I intend and hope to see the other 2 before the Oscars broadcast.

    **Spoiler**
    I take your point regarding the scene in Brokeback Mountain, however I'm not sure I agree with you. I kept wondering how they were going to make the transition from macho taciturn cowboy camp-mates to lovers, and how the movie would make it plausible, and I felt that the scene worked for making that transition. Although I would have to defer to someone that could comment on how these things happen in real life.
    #4
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
    • Location: San Francisco, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/07 16:58:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ermo

    BT -

    You are right about the first 4 being nominated, but the 5th nominee is Crash.

    I have seen only Brokeback Mountain, Munich and Crash. I liked them all, but of the 3 my choice would be Munich. I intend and hope to see the other 2 before the Oscars broadcast.

    **Spoiler**
    I take your point regarding the scene in Brokeback Mountain, however I'm not sure I agree with you. I kept wondering how they were going to make the transition from macho taciturn cowboy camp-mates to lovers, and how the movie would make it plausible, and I felt that the scene worked for making that transition. Although I would have to defer to someone that could comment on how these things happen in real life.


    You know, I judge a movie partly by how much I fidget and how fast the time seems to pass. I fidgeted a lot in Munich--it seemed to drag in spots and could have been edited better. Brokeback flew by.

    As to my comment about Brokeback, my point was simply that if they each discovered themselves developing tender, affectionate feelings for the other (or at least, Jack for Ennis since it isn't clear how Ennis feels in the beginning), I would have expected them to be expressed tenderly and hesitantly. The first expression of their attraction is hardly either of those things.
    #5
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/08 14:35:55 (permalink)
    I can't believe "Memoirs" didn't get more nominations! It was like a moving watercolor painting.

    As for the others, I am waiting for the DVD.

    #6
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    • Joined: 2005/05/06 09:05:00
    • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/08 15:51:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

    ....You know, I judge a movie partly by how much I fidget and how fast the time seems to pass. I fidgeted a lot in Munich--it seemed to drag in spots and could have been edited better. Brokeback flew by.



    We saw "Crash" when it first came out and thought it was great although I never dreamed it would get a Best Picture nomination. I understand the "fidget-factor" regarding "Munich" and kind of suspect a "squirm-effect" should we choose to see Brokeback. Not really phobic, but these are cowboys for goodness sake. pb
    #7
    Ermo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Joined: 2006/02/02 16:15:00
    • Location: Undisclosed Location, XX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/08 16:32:09 (permalink)
    I enjoyed Crash too, amd I also have to agree that it would not have made my Best Picture list.

    I did not fidget during Munich - in fact I was on the edge of my seat for almost all of it - but I will agree that it could have been shorter.

    There is not that much to squirm about in Brokeback. Enough, I felt, to make the relationship plausible, then for all intents and purposes it becomes a relationship movie.
    #8
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
    • Location: San Francisco, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/08 19:15:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

    these are cowboys for goodness sake. pb


    I have learned pretty much the same lesson from Brokeback and spending a lot of time in Arizona--actually, I think it's one of the themes of Brokeback: Cowboys are just people like the rest of us.

    It caused me to go out and buy Lonesome Dove on DVD. I'd never seen it, but I'm betting the message is similar.
    #9
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/08 21:07:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

    ....You know, I judge a movie partly by how much I fidget and how fast the time seems to pass. I fidgeted a lot in Munich--it seemed to drag in spots and could have been edited better. Brokeback flew by.



    We saw "Crash" when it first came out and thought it was great although I never dreamed it would get a Best Picture nomination. I understand the "fidget-factor" regarding "Munich" and kind of suspect a "squirm-effect" should we choose to see Brokeback. Not really phobic, but these are cowboys for goodness sake. pb


    There is a reason there is a cowboy in the Village People

    #10
    Ermo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Joined: 2006/02/02 16:15:00
    • Location: Undisclosed Location, XX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/08 23:07:43 (permalink)
    Anybody gonna chime in for Good Night and Good Luck, or Capote? Everybody I know that saw them really loved them.
    #11
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    • Joined: 2003/02/19 00:15:00
    • Location: portland, OR
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/09 00:10:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ermo

    Anybody gonna chime in for Good Night and Good Luck, or Capote? Everybody I know that saw them really loved them.
    I liked both of them but I think Brokeback is a lock for Best Picture, Ang Lee will win for direction, Miss WItherspoon for best actress, Mr Hoffman for best actor, the gal from Brokeback for supporting actess, and a toss-up between Clooney and Giamatti for supporting actor. Movie line most likely to make the next addition of top 100 movie quotes of all time "I can't quit you."
    #12
    Ermo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Joined: 2006/02/02 16:15:00
    • Location: Undisclosed Location, XX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/09 08:40:03 (permalink)
    mr chips - In your opinion, which movie should win Best Picture?
    #13
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    • Joined: 2003/02/19 00:15:00
    • Location: portland, OR
    • Status: offline
    RE: Best Pic Picks 2006/02/09 08:48:06 (permalink)
    I liked Munich best because it is an exploration of themes close to my heart i.e, the need to sometimes do bad things to right a wrong and the effect doing "evil" can have on one's soul.
    #14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1