Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/21 13:50:40 (permalink)
The package of Trenton Pork Roll has the phrase "mild flavor" on the wrapper. With that in mind, are either the Taylor or Case products considered strongly flavored?

If none of the "pork rolls" are considered other than mild, what kind of sausage merits a description of medium, strongly, highly. or full flsvored in New Jersey or elsewhere? And is it ststed on the package?
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 973
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/21 14:58:35 (permalink)
There is a place on the boards in Ocean City called Litterer's They make a great Taylor Pork Roll and cheese sandwich. I don't put anything on it, no ketchup, no mustard, but I do put a PA Dutch birch beer in my other hand. Then we go out to sit on the boardwalk and watch the ocean while we eat. For some reason I cannot duplicate this sandwich at home. I guess it's the sea breeze.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/21 23:01:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Born in OKC

The package of Trenton Pork Roll has the phrase "mild flavor" on the wrapper. With that in mind, are either the Taylor or Case products considered strongly flavored?

If none of the "pork rolls" are considered other than mild, what kind of sausage merits a description of medium, strongly, highly. or full flsvored in New Jersey or elsewhere? And is it ststed on the package?

I cannot comment on Taylor Provision's Trenton brand because it is not available in NYC and it it years since I had it, but Case does sell 6 ounce Cryovac wrapped presliced packages of pork roll in two styles: mild and tangy. Case also private labels for several local supermarket chains.

About deli sandwiches made of Taylor pork roll, I can tell you that this menu item disappeared from New York City about 1975. I don't know how many places in New Jersey still offer a uncooked, thinly sliced Taylor Ham or Pork Roll Sandwich. Without grilling pork roll, it has a flavor profile very similar to mild salami. The flavor profile changes greatly if you grill it or pan fry it. The presliced packages cannot be used to make sandwiches. Sandwiches were always made from loaves.

This week the ShopRite chain has the 6 ounce Taylor presliced packages on sale for $1.49. I bought two packages of the 4-slice packs today in Westchester County.
fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 11:39:39 (permalink)
David,

I remember my father talking about how he was horrified when he got a cold pork roll sandwich in the city. haha. He thought it was going to be cooked and when it came out cold he was disgusted. I have made cold ones at home. They are ok, but just aren't the same
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 16:27:22 (permalink)
^^So if I can find the taylor ham, I am to slice off the pieces, then fry them up? Like a fried bologna sandwich? But I can put eggs & cheese if I want? On a Kaiser roll? On an English muffin? Toast?
fattybomatty
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 17:32:46 (permalink)
Stricken,

yeah you can fry them up like a bologna sandwich. Just make sure you put a slit half way through each slice, otherwise they won't stay flat on the frying pan. They will bubble up. Some people prefer their pork roll more well done than others. So probably the same done ness you like your bologna. If it is for breakfast, I'll usually make eggs with the pork roll. Sometimes on a sandwich, sometimes just on the side and eat the pork roll as a side meat with a fork, and sometimes I'll make a pork roll and cheese omelet. If it is lunch I cook slices of pork roll, then stack them on top of each other in the pan, and melt some american cheese on top. You can put it on whatever you like. If I have a kaiser or potato roll I'll put it on that. If not, I like it on plain white bread with some ketchup. Some people prefer mustard. Others just like it plain. It's all up to you. Same with what kind of cheese you like to put on it or if you want to put cheese on it at all.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 17:45:08 (permalink)
In part, David_NYCwrote:

This week the ShopRite chain has the 6 ounce Taylor presliced packages on sale for $1.49. I bought two packages of the 4-slice packs today in Westchester County.

In Atlanta I have never, in the last several years, seen the six ounce package for less than $2.37 / unit. Yesterday (9-22-08) i got all hungry for TPR after reading this thread and the same package was $2.79 and that was at Publix. I don't buy it often now. It has always been a special treat. Publix used to carry the chub or roll in the deli but gave that up spme time ago.

SFAIK, only Whole Foods (AKA Whole Paycheck) has the chub or roll now and it will cost you probably as much as Boar's Head Black Forest Ham per pound. I think some of our food prices are less here than up in the City, but not this one.

I am making a note to try the Case "tangy" if I visit NJ again.

Also, next time we have hamburgers, I'm going to try a slice of TPR as part of the sandwich. Some one suggested that earlier in the thread. Sounds good.

dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 17:45:27 (permalink)
We should have a pork roll tour??? any takers???
fattybomatty
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 17:51:16 (permalink)
Dannybotz,

I would definitely be down for that! I wonder if the munchmobile ever did that
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/09/22 18:01:33 (permalink)
Yeah we could cover most of jersey and even some philly area stops!! whew!! that alot of pork roll and cheese!! we could start with pork roll egg and cheese for breakfast and work our way to some more lunchier selections!! My fav coffee shop guy used to make me a porkroll and cheese on french bread with sauteed onions and a few hot peppers thrown in all with deli mustard!! one of my top five all time!!!
geographer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/06 21:41:53 (permalink)
They sell pork roll sandwiches at Doumar's in Norfolk, VA. Going to have to pair one up with a limeaide....
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 00:31:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dannybotz

Bring it on!!

However, there really are no Pork Roll "Meccas" like several "must do it at least once in your life" hot dog destinations. So, it would really be about all of our favorite local joints. Sure, everyone thinks their "place" is the best, but it would really have to stand out, for a tour.

It would have to be more than "I eat it all the time, and it is so good". We all have one of those places, in NJ.
mncorn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 00:52:55 (permalink)
Poor Richards by San Antonio, Tx. It is really in Universal City just out side of Randolph AFB.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6202
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 06:45:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

quote:

Bring it on!!

However, there really are no Pork Roll "Meccas" like several "must do it at least once in your life" hot dog destinations. So, it would really be about all of our favorite local joints. Sure, everyone thinks their "place" is the best, but it would really have to stand out, for a tour.

It would have to be more than "I eat it all the time, and it is so good". We all have one of those places, in NJ.

That's a good point,,,so many good places out there....does any place do something really "special" with the beloved pork roll...I can't think of one!!!
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 09:16:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

quote:

Bring it on!!

That's a good point,,,so many good places out there....does any place do something really "special" with the beloved pork roll...I can't think of one!!!

Other than places that I simply prefer over others, I really can't think of one. The biggest thing most places do different is the thickness of the slices...
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 09:38:09 (permalink)
..or the type and quality of the roll....perhaps there are places that experiment with types of cheese...or omlets instead of fried eggs etc...I don't know of any!
fattybomatty
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 10:19:22 (permalink)
I find the differences in sandwiches that I have eaten at have been thickness and whether it's cooked on the griddle or a real grill. The places that I go to with the thicker pork roll are Cahoots and dunellen Hotel. Cahoots seems to use a grill and I forget what dunellen hotel uses. Other places with the thin and usually more crispy pork roll that I enjoy are Red Tower 2 in north plainfield, NJ and various local diners
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 14:17:42 (permalink)
I prefer the thinner/crispier slices, however once in awhile I hear the thick slices calling out my name. I have deli's in my town (New Prov., Summit) that do both...
fattybomatty
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/15 14:42:48 (permalink)
I like them both. usually for breakfast or late night I prefer the thinner/crispier pork roll and cheese sandwiches, but for lunch I prefer the thicker ones
pom7756
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/17 11:23:36 (permalink)
You east-coasters are making me crazy hungry! Do you guys have any idea how lucky you are to have such diversity when it comes to food? I'm from the midwest and I'm beggin anyone that has any connections to let us here in the heartland know how or where we can try this? Has anyone heard of anyplace near Chicago that serves this delightful wonder of a sandwich? If not, I guess I'm getting out the old CC and puttin in my order and having some shipped here!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/10/17 16:11:12 (permalink)
http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newstore/

Here's a web site for ordering great Jersey pork roll and shipping it to your home...no longer do you have to miss out....It's one of several I found on line...this looks like the best!
Cavalier858
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2008/11/06 13:17:16 (permalink)
My favorite PR sandwich recipe I buy the roll not presliced.

Slightly fry up four 1/4" thick slices. Nicked to prevent curl.

Slice up some extra sharp chedder.

Pechters Russian Rye right from the outlet in Harrison.

Butter one side.

Put one buttered side down in fry pan.

Add the PR, top with chedder, spread on some Gray Poupon mustard, top with the other slice of bread. (butter side up)

Put a lid on it. Wait Flip Wait ENJOY
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/10 10:31:44 (permalink)

This is why I come here. I would never have heard or even tried pork roll if it wasn't for this place. I have posted a pork roll sandwich before, using the Shop Rite house brand. A six ounce package had six slices, but I found the Taylor brand and it was on sale for the same price. It had four thick slices with the same weight, more pork per bite.

I like to crack the yolk:

Its almost ready:

I wish to thank all that have mentioned this item and it was delicious. I have learned something and I hope that others try this too.

mark

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/10 11:29:24 (permalink)
doggydaddy

This is why I come here. I would never have heard or even tried pork roll if it wasn't for this place. I have posted a pork roll sandwich before, using the Shop Rite house brand. A six ounce package had six slices, but I found the Taylor brand and it was on sale for the same price. It had four thick slices with the same weight, more pork per bite.
I wish to thank all that have mentioned this item and it was delicious. I have learned something and I hope that others try this too.

mark

Do you think it tastes like Spam or Treet  pb

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/10 11:45:51 (permalink)

I do not have answer for that. In the name of further culinary research, in the future I will create and post photos of Spam Masubi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi

You know what? This looks really good!!!!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/tutorial-how-to-make-hawaiian-spam-musubi-sushi.html

I saw it all over the islands and I know that Kona Ernie will be able to set me straight. If I don't like how the Spam tastes, maybe I will try to create a fried rice that could mask it over and taste better.

I have two dogs that will help me if I decide that I don't like the stuff. But hey, I recently had some canned hash and I survived that after I doctored it up.

mark
fattybomatty
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/10 11:49:40 (permalink)
DoggyDaddy,

That looks like a good sandwich.  I"m glad to see pork roll is making its way to other states.

Porkbreaks,

I have never had treet, but I have had spam and pork roll doesn't taste like spam.  That much I can tell you.  It really is hard to describe the flavor.  You just have to try it
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/10 12:31:17 (permalink)
fattybomatty

Porkbreaks,

I have never had treet, but I have had spam and pork roll doesn't taste like spam.  That much I can tell you.  It really is hard to describe the flavor.  You just have to try it

Being from New Jersey, I've had pork roll many times and like it a lot. I know that at least one individual here on Roadfood thinks it tastes like Spam. I definitely disagree.  pb

fattybomatty
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/10 12:54:18 (permalink)
Oh yeah pork, I have seen people say that before.  Like you I don't think it tastes like that.  I honestly have tried explaining the taste and always end up just saying, "Just try it.  I can't explain it!"
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/11 08:13:08 (permalink)
Yes,Spam is basically "spiced Ham",and pork roll does NOT taste like spam one little bit!!! By the way frying up the cold cut,spiced ham, is also good on a sandwich...and occassionaly we have that in the house...just can't seem to bring Spam into the house. My dad who was in the Navy during WWII would never allow it in the house(forced to eat the "crap" too much during the war!)
    On the other hand, Porkroll is HEAVEN!!!
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 347
RE: Best Pork Roll (taylor ham) sandwich 2009/03/14 06:10:21 (permalink)
i really would like to try this form of preserved pork, but so far the only local dealer appears to be de laurenti in the pike place market in seattle, and they only carry 1-pound chubs of taylor pork roll... and it's 8 times the price of any canned spam per ounce........:(
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1