Best Restaurant in Mexico

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2009/01/13 12:10:41 (permalink)

Best Restaurant in Mexico

Since we have switched to writing about restaurants in this area, I ask: What is the best restaurant you have ever been to in Mexico? Where was it and what made it so good?

I personally have only been to Club Med (!) and Juarez, so I don't have much to say myself; I'd like to hear others' experiences.....

7 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2009/01/14 00:02:48 (permalink)
    I don't remember the name of the restaurant, since it was about 20 years ago, but it was a large seafood restaurant on a corner of the square in Vera Cruz.  You dined outside at tables under a "porch roof" covering the sidewalk, and the menu consisted of a wide variety of "continental" (as opposed to Mexican or Tex-Mex) dishes made with super-fresh seafood.  All the time while you ate, you were serenaded by a  Mariachi band  which  strolled back and forth in the street along the front and side of the restaurant.  This was one of my favorite memories (and one of only two restaurants I can remember) out of three different 3- to 4-week trips by car throughout almost all of Mexico, plus Belize and the northern part of Guatemala). 

The only other restaurant I remember was one we went to when we arrived fairly late in Oaxaca one night.  There was no printed menu and when we asked what they had to eat, they said "Barbecura de Mixiote", so we ate it.  It was barbecued "mystery meat" leg(?) bones (like a  turkey drumstick, only a little larger) with meat on it that was quite tasty, but we never could decide for sure what animal it was from.  "Barbecura de Mixiote" just translated to barbecue in the style of the Mixotecs, and from the size of the bone we guessed it might be goat or maybe dog.  It probably was just as well that we never found out!
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2009/01/14 06:45:25 (permalink)
    6star

The only other restaurant I remember was one we went to when we arrived fairly late in Oaxaca one night.  There was no printed menu and when we asked what they had to eat, they said "Barbecura de Mixiote", so we ate it.  It was barbecued "mystery meat" leg(?) bones (like a  turkey drumstick, only a little larger) with meat on it that was quite tasty, but we never could decide for sure what animal it was from.  "Barbecura de Mixiote" just translated to barbecue in the style of the Mixotecs, and from the size of the bone we guessed it might be goat or maybe dog.  It probably was just as well that we never found out!

Barbacoa involves different meats in different parts of the country; I was going to say in that part of Mexico it would probably be lamb or goat but then I found this which seems to explain it. 

Did it taste like chicken?

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2009/01/14 13:32:33 (permalink)
    Thank you dexmat for your research.  I never thought to consult Wikipedia.  (Of course, at that time about 20 years ago, I had no computer.)  Since I have cooked and eaten rabbit, and rabbit leg bones are smaller than the bone that I remember in Mexico, it probably was lamb or goat.  I would think mutton from a full-grown sheep would have a larger leg bone (more like a ham bone) which this was not.  This was why we thought of the possibility of dog meat, since the bone was about the size of a large-sized dog's leg bone (which would be about the size of a lamb or goat).  By the way, the bone had been broken off (not sawed) and had jagged edges about 3 inches below the chunk of meat we ate.

I really don't remember the taste of the meat that well, but I think it probably didn't taste like chicken. 
    post edited by 6star - 2009/01/14 13:39:48
    Taos resturants
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2009/08/24 03:35:53 (permalink)
    Yes this one is one of the best restaurant in New Mexico that i ever find in all!!!
    You also can easily see the taosdining site for delicious recipes and awesome restaurants reviews.
    Simply log on to taosdining site
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2009/08/24 12:50:09 (permalink)
    My Mexico travel has been limited.  That said, I stayed at Las Mañanitas in Cuernavaca for a few days.  It is a beautiful hotel and the restaurant is considered one of the best in Mexico.  The restaurant is on a terrace in a garden setting.  The breakfasts and dinners were all wonderful.  Las Mananitas Restaurant

I've also spent a few weeks the past two years on Isla Mujeres, a 20 minute ferry ride from Cancun.  Isla is everything that Cancun isn't, meaning I love the place.  Partly for its laid back way of life and partly because the restaurants are consistently good to great.

My favorite Isla Mujeres Restaurant, is a very basic home cooking place, La Lomita.  Two dishes I will never forget - their chili rellenos, their chicken mole (spectacular mole sauce).  Both the best I have had anywhere.  I want to taste the Mole sauce Rick Bayless did for Top Chef Masters just to see if it is as great as La Lomita.

Isla Mujeres Restaurants including La Lomita
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2011/12/01 19:31:30 (permalink)
    We spent Thanksgiving week in Oaxaca and the answer, hands down, for me is Los Danzantes.  My daughter took a week of cooking classes under their chef last spring and told us he was the #4 ranked chef in Mexico.  Ten of us had dinner on Wednesday evening (the day before USA Thanksgiving, which is not celebrated in Mexico) and it was a beautful setting with delicious food.  Ten of us - some had wine, beer, etc. - ate for just under 2400 pesos before tip (US$175).  I would comfortably recommend it to anyone visiting the city of Oaxaca.
    sandrew834
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Best Restaurant in Mexico 2013/08/30 05:53:29 (permalink)
    King Taco is good, cheap Mexican, but not good enough to compare to some of the more gourmet eating experiences at sit down restaurants. Try La Serenada and you'll forget about King Taco. Then again, you can eat at King Taco four times for the cost of eating at La Serenada once.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1