Best Rueben ever?

Author
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
2010/03/05 11:39:25 (permalink)

Best Rueben ever?

I just finsihed the best Rueben I've had in a long-long time. THis is my go to sandwich when traveling and am not sure what to order. The other day I went to a local family run diner in Jupiter, FL and had a memorable one. IT was slightly oversized and perfectly grilled and the bread was slightly squishy with butter. THe pastrami was piled on and the cheese and kraut were in perfect proportion and balanced. It was gooey when pulled apart from the swiss and it was truly a masterpiece...any one else have as memeorable one? bkk

25 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/05 11:57:25 (permalink)
    A classic Reuben sandwich is made with corned beef, I believe.

Anyway, what was the name of the restaurant?  Was the thousand island dressing housemade, or factory-made?  Anything special about the rye bread?

I love reubens!
    Beef&Fries
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/05 18:23:10 (permalink)
    I too am on a quest for the perfect reuben...

The problem is so many places have their own interpretation of what a reuben is and they jazz it all up to make it "special" and 99% of the time ruin it.

D'Bronx in KC is outstanding maybe the best in KC, had a pastrami reuben at Stonewall Inn in Lenexa, KS (KC suburb) this week that was very, very good.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/05 18:40:43 (permalink)
    I used to chow down on Reuben sandwiches at the place where it was (supposedly) invented: Reuben's Deli, somewhere around 38th and Madison (long since closed).  The corned beef wasn't particularly good, but the sandwich was so enormous, with so much melted swiss cheese, it was irresistible to me and my friends back when we were stomping around town back in the late 80's.  

To me, the classic Reuben has only 5 ingredients: corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, rye bread and Russian dressing.  
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/05 19:44:13 (permalink)
    Eatin a Reuben sandwich with sauerkraut,
    Don't stop now let it all hang out.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6345
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/05 20:02:01 (permalink)
    Pigiron

I used to chow down on Reuben sandwiches at the place where it was (supposedly) invented: Reuben's Deli, somewhere around 38th and Madison (long since closed).  The corned beef wasn't particularly good, but the sandwich was so enormous, with so much melted swiss cheese, it was irresistible to me and my friends back when we were stomping around town back in the late 80's.  

To me, the classic Reuben has only 5 ingredients: corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, rye bread and Russian dressing.  

Check this for history...

http://rowlandweb.com/reuben/history.asp
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/05 20:31:39 (permalink)
    Davydd

Pigiron

Wow Davydd,
    I read the whole attached link. Some very intense  Investigative Journalism! Sounds like a job for Chief Inspector Clouseau !
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 10:35:59 (permalink)
    Miamidon; the name of the place is Lovin Bagel and is actually in Juno Beach off Donald Ross Road. THeir rye is not mass produced and appeared to be a specilaty loaf and the 1000 Island was most likely prefab. It was the way the cook had put all the ingredients in perfect balance and then carefully grilled it so that it was still buttery, gooey and had the flavors all melded into one. Most of the time the bread on a rueben is either dry like toast or so soggy that it falls apart when picked up. I agree that some restaurants try to "kick it up a notch" by adding their own touches and in doing so fail to bring out the essence of the sandwich.
    bkk
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 12:04:15 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Davydd

Wow Davydd,
    I read the whole attached link. Some very intense  Investigative Journalism! Sounds like a job for Chief Inspector Clouseau !

Check out the Gallery on the link.  Great collection of pictures of Reubens, even a pizza?  Somebody made a reuben pizza?
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6345
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 12:31:47 (permalink)
    I had a vegetarian Tempeh Reuben at the New Scenic Restaurant near Two Harbors, MN.

Tempeh Reuben
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 13:23:38 (permalink)
    I've posted this before, but here is the recipe and guidelines that I use to make mine. I've never had any complaints.

REUBEN SANDWICH
    Modern-day Reuben sandwiches are often open-faced and broiled, which dries out the corned beef and makes the cheese rubbery. Or, under the misguided belief that more is better, they are overstuffed. The main things to remember for a great Reuben are to keep the filling under control and in balance, so when you bite into it you get a harmonious and succulent mouthful; and to grill the sandwich slowly and under some pressure, so the bread gets toasty brown and buttery crisp, the meat gets warmed through, and the cheese is just melted enough to be oozy.
    2 slices rye bread or pumpernickel
    2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
    2 tablespoons Reuben's Russian Dressing (recipe below)
    1/4 cup well-drained, fresh-style sauerkraut
    2 ounces thinly sliced Gruyère or Switzerland Swiss cheese
    1/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef

Butter each slice of bread evenly to the edges on one side.
    Place one slice, buttered side down, in a small cold skillet: Build the sandwich in the skillet you'll grill it in.

Spread 1 tablespoon of the Russian dressing on the face-up, dry side of the bread. Then put on the sauerkraut, spreading it evenly.

Arrange the cheese in an even layer over the sauerkraut, then do the same with the corned beef.

Spread another 1 tablespoon Russian dressing on the dry side of the second slice of bread and place it, dressing side down, buttered side up, over the corned beef.

Place the skillet over medium-low heat and grill the sandwich slowly, pressing down on it a few times with a wide metal spatula. Grill until the bread is browned and crisped, then turn the sandwich over with the help of the spatula.

Now weight the sandwich down by placing a plate (or another small skillet) over the sandwich, then adding on a weight, such as a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Grill until the second side has browned and crisped, then flip the sandwich over one more time to briefly reheat the other side.

Serve immediately.

Russian dressing: 1/2 cup of mayo with a tablespoon of ketchup, a teaspoon of grated onion, 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish, 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Red caviar is optional but necessary.

Makes 1.
    Arthur Schwartz's New York City Food
    By Arthur Schwartz
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15222
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 15:32:35 (permalink)
    I used to love big 'overloaded Reubens', but with my moderating eating habits in my 'Golden Years' I find that a smaller version of the Reuben suits me just fine !!  Here is a plate of "REUBEN ROLLS" , an appetizer served at MADERS, the German Restaurant across the street from Usingers Meat Company in downtown Milwaukee. They give you all the flavor without overfilling you in prep for the coming entree.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 16:13:43 (permalink)
    I'm gonna make a Corned Beef for St. Paddy's Day. Guess where the leftover's goin'? Also, going to try making Russian Dressing!
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/06 16:38:37 (permalink)
    Another vote for Reuben sandwiches that aren't 6 inches thick.  I used to make them overstuffed as well, but like porkbeaks' post, I've found that balance is the key to a really good sandwich.

If I'm still hungry, I'll eat another!

I've found the best are still at home; and I deviate from a traditional recipe only by using Gulden's brown mustard instead of Russian dressing; it's my preference.
    nysharks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/07 20:41:39 (permalink)
    No way that I am a Reuben expert so you will have to take this with a large grain of salt.  In Boston there is a sandwich shop called Sam La Grassa's in the Downtown Crossing area that makes the best I have eaten.  My big caveat is that Reubens are not a sandwich that I look for and the few that I have had before I wasn't too thrilled about.  But sometimes at work they cater lunches from Sam La Grassa's and there is usually a platter full of all kinds of sandwiches including Reubens.  I can't really say that it is the best Reuben, but theirs is sure one heck of a very tasty sandwich.

www.samlagrassas.com

Going off topic, but right near Sam La Grassa is another great sandwich place, Chacarero.  Their specialty is a Chilean sandwich that is fantastic.  The bread alone is something special but the ingredients in the sandwich while quite different really come off well.  The choices are grilled chicken or beef with muenster cheese, tomatoes, string beans, red peppers, avacado spread, and a spicey sauce.

www.chacarero.com

Both of these places usually have lines going out the door and onto the sidewalks at lunch time.
    wheels in the sky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/07 21:54:12 (permalink)
    I made rueben rolls to day at work. they sold great.. 2 bucks a piece.
    gasebos
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/08 00:26:57 (permalink)
    My wife makes a wonderful rueben lassagna every year for St Patty's Day.  There are recipies for it several places on the net.  I think she got the original recipie from Mr. Food. 
    IntelligentT82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/08 22:47:19 (permalink)
    I love the Rueben at University Roadhouse in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
    wheels in the sky
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/08 23:20:22 (permalink)
    I made rueben rolls for my chef case at kroger.  they sold great. 2 bucks each
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/09 04:02:20 (permalink)
    In Milwaukee - Jake's Deli, McBob's, and the aforementioned Rueben Rolls at Mader's
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/09 11:16:05 (permalink)
    X1- Thanks for the vote of Confidence in the MADER'S Reuben Rolls. Sometimes I wonder if I am the only person who stops at some of the places we have visited on RF !!!  We really liked that appetizer dish!
    wheels in the sky
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/09 11:51:05 (permalink)
    I made the Rueben rolls at my job at Kroger yesterday.  Big Hit!! they loved them.  Its amazing what you can put in an egg roll wrapper.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/09 13:24:03 (permalink)
    How many times you gonna post the same thing?

It's great that they went over well, wheels in the sky, but not 3 times great.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/09 17:46:03 (permalink)
    One more time on the Kroger Sales Pitch and we'll change the ingredients to S P A M !! 
    gunch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/11 16:08:08 (permalink)
    One of the best Rueben's I have ever had was at Kenny and Zukes in Portland, OR. I know that it seems funny being there, but I was blown away by the taste and size of the sandwich.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Best Rueben ever? 2010/03/19 15:32:45 (permalink)
    WIth all the corned beef leftovers from st. patty's i jade those rueben eggrolls.....wow. They were awesome...dipped in hotdog relish. broke da mouth
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1