Best Smoking Tip of the Day!

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10101
2011/06/09 16:12:32 (permalink)

Best Smoking Tip of the Day!

I've been struggling with how to accurately measure the temperature inside my Gas Grill when I use it for Smoking meat. The thermometer on the lid is not very accurate. laying a digital probe meat thermometer on the grate isn't accurate------Then I got this tip from www.smoking-meat.com
"You can use a digital probe meat thermometer with the probe stuck all the way through a potato. Set the potato with the probe sticking out level horizontally on the grate to give you the correct internal temperature." It's one of those slap yourself on the forehead kinda revelations and you ask yourself, "Why didn't I think of that?"
Jeff@smoking-meat.com also puts out a good, free newsletter if you're interested.
He does pimp his rub and sauce recipes but his info and Smoking techniques are pretty good.
I've made the rub and it's good.
Please feel free to add your own tips & tricks to this thread.

4 Replies Related Threads

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Best Smoking Tip of the Day! 2011/06/09 16:19:22 (permalink)
    No need to soak your wood chips; the water hardly penetrates at all, and produces steam which cools your fire and steams your meat.

I didn't think this was so, I thought that tossing dry wood chips on the coals would cause them to burst into flames, but they don't. They smoulder and smoke.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7769
    Re:Best Smoking Tip of the Day! 2011/06/09 16:28:10 (permalink)
    Use only a couple chunks of hardwood or a cup of chips along with your lump charcoal.  Any more and you end up with bitter tasting food.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10101
    Re:Best Smoking Tip of the Day! 2011/06/09 16:32:04 (permalink)
    Mosca
    No need to soak your wood chips; the water hardly penetrates at all, and produces steam which cools your fire and steams your meat.
    I didn't think this was so, I thought that tossing dry wood chips on the coals would cause them to burst into flames, but they don't. They smoulder and smoke.

I think weather or not your chips flare up depends on the amount of air that gets in your grill. The more air the greater the chance of flareups. Your method works well for Charcoal grills.
    For Gas Grills I recommend making foil packs to eliminate the clean up mess.
    WOOD CHIP PACKETS FOR SMOKING MEATS
    When smoking something in my 38 year old Cast Aluminum Gas Grill that's going in my grave with me, I soak my wood chips for about a 1/2 hour then take wide width, heavy duty aluminum foil and tear off as many sheets as I need for each sheet to hold a large handful of chips. Usually make 3-4 packets for 1 smoking. I double over the foil sheet, place the chips at one end and roll them up, closing one end of the packet and leaving the other end slightly open for the smoke to escape. Place the packets on the bottom grate just above the burner, close the lid and let 'er smoke away. Cleanup is easy. Just remove the packets after they've stopped smoldering and are completely cool and throw away.

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/06/09 16:34:09
    deepfryerdan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Best Smoking Tip of the Day! 2011/06/23 15:48:41 (permalink)
    You can do the probe thing with just about any vegetable as long as its not directly over the flames. Onions work great too!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1