Best Way to Make Soup?

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/11/12 18:02:17 (permalink)

Best Way to Make Soup?

Better to make soup in a crock pot or on the stove? Do you have a preference. I've made both ways, don't really have a preference but some soups seem to be easier to make on the stove or maybe I just feel more comfortable making them on the stove.

carl reitz

22 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 19:33:31 (permalink)
    Definitely STOVE for me, but I'll defer to our experienced ladies in the northeast, and our expert in Alaska.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that salt-hating fascist up there. He also knows how to make fantastic soup.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 19:35:21 (permalink)
    Bushie, seems like you and I are following each other

I agree that slow cooking on a stove top is tops too. I know our ladies up front will set us straight, but I learned at Grandma's knee learning.

Dennis in Cary
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 19:36:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

Bushie, seems like you and I are following each other

I agree that slow cooking on a stove top is tops too. I know our ladies up front will set us straight, but I learned at Grandma's knee learning.

Dennis in Cary

Great minds think alike, my man.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 20:04:07 (permalink)
    DAMN, I can feel that screwdriver kicking in Bushie........LOL, my spelling and thought process is going quickly.

Dennis in Cary
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 20:41:45 (permalink)
    Definitely the stove top! Made a pot of onion soup in the crock pot this past weekend. I had been told caramilizing the onions in the crock pot would be great. Onions got soft but didn't caramilize. Took all day & soup only so-so. Prefer stove, faster & better! When I do crab soup, well, there just isn't a crock pot big enough!! As when my mother would make it, it just keeps getting bigger & bigger as I add ingrediants.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 21:09:19 (permalink)
    I normally do the stove top method. Crock Pot works, but is slow... Slower then the 6 or so hours it should be. But yet I've had sucess in the slow cooker... I have a 5 quart for my large one, and it just dont seem to have the room that I need... Always seems like a boil over is a problem... Not that it's heavy overflow, just enough to irritate ya.. If all your out to make is 4 or 5 bowls, prepare everything the night before, throw it on low in the morning and hope it will be done when you get out of work, Go For It! Just dont be dissapointed if you have to wait and extra hour or 2...
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 21:11:22 (permalink)
    Stove top definitely... I like to get up close and personal with my soups (my best and fave is Lobster Stew!... so easy and tastey it is!!!! Only way to make chile, too.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6748
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 23:25:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

Definitely STOVE for me, but I'll defer to our experienced ladies in the northeast, and our expert in Alaska.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that salt-hating fascist up there. He also knows how to make fantastic soup.

I'm not sure I'm an "expert" but I have been making soup every day for a long, long, long time in the restaurants and never had a crock pot. Never even owned one at home. Slowly, slowly on top of the stove works just fine.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/12 23:42:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:

I'm not sure I'm an "expert" but I have been making soup every day for a long, long, long time in the restaurants and never had a crock pot. Never even owned one at home. Slowly, slowly on top of the stove works just fine.

Save me a bowl of that Forest Shroom! Ever since I've seen your menu earlier this evening I've been craving it... ARGHHHHHH...

lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/13 00:15:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

quote:

Save me a bowl of that Forest Shroom! Ever since I've seen your menu earlier this evening I've been craving it... ARGHHHHHH...

It's the ULTIMATE Forest Shroom if I must say! Chanterelles, morels, lobster mushrooms, shiitakes, criminis and oyster mushrooms. A few diced shallots and butter to saute them in, and some lovely chicken stock, then finish it off with heavy cream. A seared Kodiak scallop and truffle oil finish off the dish. No crock pot required! Not excatly Roadfood, but it's DIVINE.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/13 00:26:26 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's the ULTIMATE Forest Shroom if I must say! Chanterelles, morels, lobster mushrooms, shiitakes, criminis and oyster mushrooms. A few diced shallots and butter to saute them in, and some lovely chicken stock, then finish it off with heavy cream. A seared Kodiak scallop and truffle oil finish off the dish. No crock pot required! Not excatly Roadfood, but it's DIVINE.

Please excuse my ignorance as I humble myself and ask "what is truffle oil"??? Curious stomach growls want to know...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/13 02:04:26 (permalink)
    Truffle oil is the oil from those precious truffles that the pigs dig up. It's very earthy, very expensive and worth every drop. The best oils come from France, and Italy is not far behind. I think that really good truffle oil goes for about $140 for 6 oz. But of course, one could find it less expensive, depending on the quality.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/13 14:18:44 (permalink)
    quote:

Truffle oil is the oil from those precious truffles that the pigs dig up. It's very earthy, very expensive and worth every drop. The best oils come from France, and Italy is not far behind. I think that really good truffle oil goes for about $140 for 6 oz. But of course, one could find it less expensive, depending on the quality.

Owwwwuch...
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/13 14:29:49 (permalink)
    Soup is my #1 favorite food to make and I always simmer it on the stove. I have chicken rice and lentil-mushroom-barley cooking right now.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/13 20:07:35 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Owwwwuch...

After all.......living well is the best revenge!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 10:57:55 (permalink)
    I prefer the stove top method. There is just something about having a pot of soup simmering on the stove. I don't use my crock pot very often.
    I should use it more. I just don't seem to have the time in the mornings to get something ready for the crock pot.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 13:10:28 (permalink)
    I make alot of soups and stews and I have several recipes that I use the crock pot (see my post on the crock pot thread)and several on the stove. Typically when I use dried beans or vegetables that need alot of time, I use the crockpot. I like both methods and have favorites with each type. Depends on what mood I'm in, what amount of time I want to devote to the recipe that day, and what I'm hungry for.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 13:50:19 (permalink)
    <---after seeing the shroom recipe.. I'm moving to Alaska.. lleechef got room for me and Ian?...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 18:13:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by IansMom

<---after seeing the shroom recipe.. I'm moving to Alaska.. lleechef got room for me and Ian?...

Come on up! We happilly cook for ALL Roadfooders and will take you out on the boat to catch fish, or just look at the glaciers and fijords, whales, otters, eagles and a lot of other COOL STUFF!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 18:35:28 (permalink)
    I certainly appreciate the invite to come to Alaska,being from Maine I should do fine. While others are fishing though,I would like to take a ride on the Alaska railroad system....what a great vacation this would be, the best of food,folks and ribbons of steel.......thanks again and as a payback,If you ever get to Maine during the holidays(when I go back annually), I'll take you to Moody's Diner.......all the best
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 21:12:56 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by IansMom

Come on up! We happilly cook for ALL Roadfooders and will take you out on the boat to catch fish, or just look at the glaciers and fijords, whales, otters, eagles and a lot of other COOL STUFF!

My boss's brother lived up there (Juneau (sp?) I think) for a few years... I'd love to see the all day Night! That has to be something that really unfocusus ones mind!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Best Way to Make Soup? 2004/11/15 23:36:35 (permalink)
    Uncle Vic,

We call it "The Land of the Midnight Sun" cuz the sun dips down behind the mountains around midnight and pops up three hours later. You have a full belly of the chef's food, some wine, some martinis, trust me you sleep JUST FINE! We spent about 10 days above the Arctic Circle, on our way to the Arctic Ocean and Prudhoe Bay, in July and we never saw the sun set. It was constantly over our heads. Unfortunately the aurora borealis is not visible in the summer, but in our dark, dark winters......it's a thing of beauty!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1