Best anchovies in a jar or can

Author
ocerg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2007/08/17 14:30:33 (permalink)

Best anchovies in a jar or can

Bellino Fillet Of Anchovies - Olive Oil & Salt in a jar.

4 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    RE: Best anchovies in a jar or can 2007/08/17 15:02:04 (permalink)
    Obviously, you havn't tried, "Ortiz" brand anchovies. They blow "Bellino" out of the water (pun intended). All of the Ortiz (Spanish) products are superior to all other brands. They are packed in a glass jar and come with a wood handle 2 prong fork for serving.
    Their tuna (also packed in glass) is incredible too.They can be found online or at Wholefoods and other specialty stores. They are not inexpensive. But, well worth the extra money.The small jar of anchovies at Wholefoods is $9.99. Athough, every once in a while they put them on sale.
    Is anyone else familiar with the Ortiz brand?
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Best anchovies in a jar or can 2007/08/23 21:15:14 (permalink)
    The best anchovies come packed in salt, not filleted in oil. You have to soak them for a little while, then cut off the heads, pull out the bones and rinse again. It takes about 30 seconds, and the quality is so far better than flat little cans of fillets. Many Italian markets have anchovies packed in salt.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    RE: Best anchovies in a jar or can 2007/08/23 23:21:14 (permalink)
    zataar> I totally agree with you. However, the salt packed anchovies only come in very large cans that are not
    practical nor economically feasible unless you use anchovies almost on a daily basis like a restaurant might.
    Soaking the salt packed anchovies in milk is the best way to soak the little critters.
    When I spent a few weeks in southern Italy, I ate anchovies every day-they were fresh and marinated overnight.
    If the restaurants in Italy don't use fresh anchovies, they use the salted ones from Sicily in those large cans.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Best anchovies in a jar or can 2007/08/23 23:51:12 (permalink)
    The best anchovies are LEFT in a jar or can. In the wrong hands those little buggers can be awfully overpowering. Given a choice, regardless of the product, I choose glass over can.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1