Best and Worst Tacos you've had?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/13 08:47:38 (permalink)
OK, I have said it before, and I will say it again. Taco Town in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. AWESOME! Sterns should have gone there instead of Scottis's

LL
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/13 09:25:47 (permalink)
Best: Street tacos in Mexico. You stand in front of the cart and they keep coming and you settle up at the end. The ones I have had were made with cabbage instead of lettuce.

Worst: I don't remember the name of the place but the shells were the store bought and were not heated so they were tough and hard to chew, and when you bit into it, it would just squeaze everything out of the other end.

joe
lone nut
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/14 13:15:55 (permalink)
Okay, taco talk. First off, I want to say that I have zero interest in hearing from Anglos who believe they have somehow become enlightened by virtue of discovering all by themselves the "best" taco in town, served up from a roach coach. I despise machaca, shredded beef, pork, fish, tofu, ad nauseum, in anything. Here is the one and only taco I want: Ojeda's in Dallas, TX. The crunchy shell is the lightest, most fragile I've ever seen. It breaks up on the first bite, which is why you place lighter than air chips below to catch the fallout. The beef? Again, a thing of wonder. Really, really wet, without a trace of grease. I do not know how they do this. A chef friend suspects they put really finely chopped potato in the mix. Could be. I can put away several of these without effect. I think there's some black pepper in there, too. Also, there's no tomato, no cheese, just some VERY slightly wilted lettuce. Here's what I order: #5, Beef Taco (I ask for 2), Beef Enchilada (with a fantastic chili gravy, brown, not red), and Soft Cheese Taco (an item only Texans will recognize). NO BEANS. NO RICE.

It's interesting to me that (finally), someone referenced a couple of West Coast establishments, Don Antonio's and The Talpa. I asked Dabney Coleman (the actor) where he goes for Mexican, and he replied with no hesitation "The Talpa." I think there should maybe be a Roadfood split between East Coast and West. What do I care about a hash house in Sheboygan? But, I like reading the new recipe page, I don't care if the item came from upstate New York. Pictures are a definite plus.

Now, I must confess that I like J in the B tacos as much as anyone else. Worst Taco ever? Anything with shredded beef.

-Scott Lindgren, Los Angeles the Damned
syrup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/01 14:19:09 (permalink)
Does anyone remember an urban legend that Jack In Box tacos were filled with cat food? It doesn't make much sense at this point,
(it was going aorund in the 70's when I was in elementary school) but it based on Jack In The Box being owned by the Ralston Purina company at the time, (which may not be true) As urban legends go it's kind of lame, but not as bad as the one about the kid who broke his neck breakdancing, (it was the 80's.)
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/02 02:03:55 (permalink)
"THE WORST TACOS"
a taco truck in the parking lot of evergreen liquors on buckeystown pike frederick md , there is a mexican store there also. i bought a taco press and some mesa there and some evans at the liquer store then figured instead of papa johns or checkers up the street we do tacos....to save time....wife and shared the the tiolet for 2 days after that authinic mexican taco....
turns out i went back down to frederick 5 days later seems they made like 50 people sick,noone could file suit on them they didn't have green cards...i guess they got deported.
LESSON LEARNED.....AND A HINT TO ALL......
always look for thier license make sure its up to date & legal ....
nuff said
ron
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/02 02:20:25 (permalink)
Best, Taco Al Pastor, Mexico City, street vendor. Worst, Taco Torch, Waco, Texas.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/17 15:05:56 (permalink)
Best: Ruiz's in Florissant, MO a northern suburb of St. Louis.The tortilla was thin and ever so crisp and delicate. The beef was moist and spiced mildly, the toppings were piled on in an orderly fashion not like a garden gone wild and the picante sauce had a nice garlic bite to it. Dip the thing in their slasa verde and you are one step away from heaven.

Worst: At the South Florida Fair, a wagon vendor had the abolute worst. Couldn't bite throught the thick, mealy tortilla. But I did buy 1/2 gal of his sauce. Was the best i had had since leaving texas 8 yeras prior. Broke da mouth.
slacker787
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/17 17:33:17 (permalink)
Best: My favorite is actually Burger king's tacos. They are crispy at the edges and really soft in the center without being to greasy and have great hot sauce that is hot with a hint of sweetness.

Worst:taco Bell's soft tacos, I had only one in my life and it was the worst peice of garbage I've ever had

don't get me wrong about my choices, I love autentic mexican food but when it comes to tacos I just like Burger king over all else.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/21 13:47:16 (permalink)
i also forgot the ones at pappasito & the ninfa chain in houston.
Rando
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/27 16:13:05 (permalink)
Guedo's tacos in Tempe, AZ. the pork ones are great, you can go to a condiment bar and get different sauces and cabbage and radishes. they used to have a great hole in the wall location in Mesa, but then they moved to Tempe.
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/27 16:21:02 (permalink)
B - Taco Bell W - Taco Bell

Tacos are easy enough to make and improve that I don't order them out.
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/08/27 22:13:08 (permalink)
best all time- fish tacos at Berryhill Tamales in Houston.

best in this part of the country- Carlito's here in Columbia MO. He does something called "rico tacos" where he marinates the meat in fruit juice, quick-cooks it on a really hot griddle, then serves it with absolutely fresh, finely chopped pico de gallo.

Worst-- Jack in the Box. Do they still do tacos? If so, there is no justice in the universe.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8071
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/15 21:51:33 (permalink)
The best was from a corner stand in Tijuana on Avenida Benito Juarez. I went there over and over again for a few years. Absolutely delicious with the best tasting salsa.

The worst is that same stand and the same tacos.

I was having furniture made in Tijuana and I drove with the furniture designer to his factory when we past my favoirte place.

I raved about those tacos.

His response was...

I'm surprised you like head tacos. They're made from cow's heads.

I've never been back.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8071
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/15 22:14:02 (permalink)
I know how to spell passed!

The thought of those tacos got the best of me.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/15 22:40:16 (permalink)
Best: El Patio Mexican Restaurant in Capistrano Beach, CA. They taste just as good today as they did back in the early sixties when they were 25 cents apiece.

Worst: The tacos at some forgettable, long forgotten Mexican restaurant in Boise, ID. The meat had the consistency of pâté, not quite the mouth feel one welcomes when one's not expecting pâté.

Followed closely by the cafeteria tacos at my elementary school. They served them with a side of diced beets, an always popular vegetable selection to serve to little kids. The person who came up with that pairing should have been shot at dawn.
Legran22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/18 16:46:18 (permalink)
THE BEST: The ones my mother taught me how to make in Midland, Texas over 50 years ago. We call them Nasty Tacos. One lb of coarsly ground sirloin sauteed with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a can of red Herdez salsa. (Mom didn't use the Herdez, but I recommend it.)While the meat is cooking, saute' white corn tortillas for about ten seconds on each side (turn them when they begin to balloon) in, preferrably, lard. Vegatable oil will do for the more health conscience. Do not fry them until they're hard, just a few seconds. Serve with cheddar cheese and a little more Herdez, if you like. No lettuce or tomatoes, please. Warning!!! These are addictive!

THE WORST: The Canasta Mixta tacos at Donneraki in Houston. The waiter warned me, "Senor, these are made with tripas." I said, "No problemo, Compadre. Bring 'em on." The entire wait staff watched to see if I could eat them from across the reataurant. They were right. I tried to hide the remains in a bowl of beans, but fooled no one. I had a mustache then and couldn't get the smell out of it for two weeks. Makes me shiver just thinking about it now twenty years later.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/18 17:53:32 (permalink)
What I thought was the best no longer exists... Found something better a couple weeks ago.. Met this old Mexican gentalmen that pretty well laid out everything I wanted to know. Had a stand set up at the Metro Cruise, and personally, I could not get enough of these tacos. This food may be nothing to rest of the country, but to see something this tasty in West Michigan was beyond beleif!

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/18 19:36:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Legran22

THE WORST: The Canasta Mixta tacos at Donneraki in Houston. The waiter warned me, "Senor, these are made with tripas." I said, "No problemo, Compadre. Bring 'em on." The entire wait staff watched to see if I could eat them from across the reataurant. They were right. I tried to hide the remains in a bowl of beans, but fooled no one. I had a mustache then and couldn't get the smell out of it for two weeks. Makes me shiver just thinking about it now twenty years later.
If the tripas smelled there was something wrong with them. In Mexican cuisine tripas are very neutral tasting, somewhat sweet, and consist of pieces of grilled small intestine. If they served you the stronger smelling and tasting tripe it was either mislabeled or they were Portuguese.
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/19 09:11:45 (permalink)
Barbacoa tacos can be good.I like the ones at Culebra's on Pat Booker Road in Universal City, and believe it or not at Chipolte Grill in the Forum Shopping Center in Live Oak,just up the road aways.
Some places use the whole cows head,including the eyeballs in their barbacoa,and some just use the beef cheek meat.
I naturally prefer the cheek meat.Also,In Mexico barbacoa can also be roasted goat.
My dad once ordered menudo from Taco Cabana,just a small bowl.
He didn't care for it.So gave to me and I ate just the broth.
I told my dad it had tripe in it. As a kid,even though his father was a butcher,they didn't eat tripe.Grandma would make brains sometimes if grandpa wanted them,and they would eat what they call sweetbreads(forgot what they are right know,some kind of thymus gland or something) but not tripe. Don't know of any german dishes for tripe.She also made tongue.You can get tongue or as they call it lengua tacos at various places.
Worst tacos to me are any place where they give me gas or I have to go to the bathroom after just eating.
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/09/19 09:38:41 (permalink)
WORST: TACO BELL, BURGER KING, JACK IN THE BOX...and any other tacos associated with a major chain...you have to seek out the "local places", or make your own.

Terry
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1