Best and Worst Tacos you've had?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HankNBugsy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
2006/07/03 19:28:26 (permalink)

Best and Worst Tacos you've had?

Best: La Iguana No 5 on East King St. in Kingsville Tx - by far and away the best tacos this Texan has eaten anywhere anytime. I am still searching San Antonio for one to compare in quality. The refried beans are outstanding, bacon is crisp but not overcooked, the cheese excellent. And they are made with the large flour tortillas, not the puny ones. The grease seeps through the paper, foil, and bag, so make sure you have an extra plastic bag in your vehicle if you don't want to stain the upholstery!

Worst: Without a doubt it was the hole-in-the-wall place on 87 in Adkins, Tx (now out of business) I stopped for a bean & cheese breakfast taco on my way to work one morning - I got a cold grocery store tortilla, undercooked BARBECUE beans, and shredded Velveeta.

49 Replies Related Threads

littleanomaly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/13 16:17:00 (permalink)
    Best. Call me insane. Or a cheap college student. I LOVE Jack in the Box tacos with ranch sauce. 2/99 cents. *swoon* I do wish that they still had the chicken monster tacos..

Worst: There are truly bad tacos?? Really?? I feel like you just implied that Christmas is never coming. Ok Undesirable tacos.. Tortilla Flats in Kansas City. You cannot get good american-mexican from tall willowy buxom blondes who have trouble with distinguishing "sweetened" and "unsweetened" tea.

anyways, has anyone had In A Tub tacos???
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/13 17:17:57 (permalink)
    Jack-in the Box tacos are in a category all their own. I can not call them the best----I can think of many places that make much better "real" tacos-----but there are times when there is nothing better than a couple of JITB tacos. They are definitely not real tacos-----but there is something about them (maybe it's because I grew up on them, walking over to JITB after school for a few) that makes me need to have some once every few months. I am getting the craving now, as a matter of fact......
    The best? Hard to say....al pastor at the little place off the main drag in downtown Tijuana with the hand-lettered "TACOS 2x$1". Taqueria al Tapatio in Oxnard, CA----the real thing. That truck parked in East L.A. that makes killer tacos-----but ones that you have to eat ion the car. Need I go on?
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/13 18:10:25 (permalink)
    Best: either tacos adobado at Tacos El Gordo in Tijuana or Chula Vista or chicken tacos at Las Cuatro Milpas in Barrio Logan outside downtown San Diego.

Worst: Taco Bell soft chicken tacos.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/13 19:09:46 (permalink)

Yeah, I don't think it is fair to lump the Jack in the Box Tacos with many of the 'higher quality and priced' entries. Just like putting White Castles in against Peter Lugar Burgers.

As I have said in many posts I love the Jack in the Box Tacos. I will drive out of my way to buy them...just like White Castles..."By the Sackful". We love to add our own 'treats' usually avrocados to the JinB greasie little devils and really chow down. I have done 10 to a dozen in moments of late night hunger.

Most of the taco's I would consider to be "GREAT" came from home-made sources. They contain shredded meat not ground and hold the green veggie decoration on mine please.Our own or friends and relatives can do some great examples when they take the time to prep the materials and get the fresh tortillas ready!

Forget the Taco Bell they are at the 'way-bottom' of the list.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/13 22:29:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by littleanomaly

Best. Call me insane. Or a cheap college student. I LOVE Jack in the Box tacos with ranch sauce. 2/99 cents. *swoon* I do wish that they still had the chicken monster tacos..

Worst: There are truly bad tacos?? Really?? I feel like you just implied that Christmas is never coming. Ok Undesirable tacos.. Tortilla Flats in Kansas City. You cannot get good american-mexican from tall willowy buxom blondes who have trouble with distinguishing "sweetened" and "unsweetened" tea.

anyways, has anyone had In A Tub tacos???

You'll like this thread.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=502&whichpage=1
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/14 16:27:05 (permalink)
    Best: Don Antonios on Pico, West LA

Worst: too easy, but Taco Bell (used to be at least mediocre...but they've ruined them...never again)

Honorable mention: The Talpa (right next door to Don Antonios)

And yes, my wonderful Jack in the Box...I love you too.....
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/17 14:56:38 (permalink)
    The Tamale House, the old one on 1st and Congress, in Austin. It was a soft flour taco w/ beans and meat. Sounds simple enough but they were great! I am still trying to recreate their recipe for that taco meat. I could use some help if anyone here ever had one of those tacos.
    Joe
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/18 10:12:13 (permalink)
    Worst is any place that thinks a soft taco is made with a flour tortilla....
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/18 10:25:25 (permalink)
    Oh, there is a real good Mexican place in Terrell Tx. called Dos Aces. They make the tacos w/ shreaded beef, pork, chicken, cow tounge,.... and Cosmos, you can order them made w/ corn or flour tortillas. Those toung tacos are pretty tasty!
    Joe
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/19 10:29:46 (permalink)
    The Best - I remember when I was a kid living in Harlingen, TX, and going to the A&W and getting root beer and probably the best tacos I've ever eaten. I make pretty good ones at home too. We also have a place here in Huntsville, AL, called Bandito Buretto which makes very good tacos. Remember it ain't a good taco unless the grease is running down your arms when your are eating it.

The Worst - My all means, Taco Bell. Dry,chincy on the ingredients.
    SWOhioGuy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/19 11:05:56 (permalink)
    Best. No doubt at all - my favorite Mexican spot in the world is Taco House in San Antonio, on San Pedro, just north of Basse. Breakfast tacos to die for - bacon/egg/cheese, chilaquiles, chorizo/eggs, everything. Other tacos - carne guisada, chicharron, papas rancheras, chicken fajita, etc. - just as outstanding. They make the flour tortillas right there, as all self-respected San Anto taco joints do, *and* they make their corn tortillas fresh too, and they're amazing - as fluffy as the flour tortillas. Great caldo (res and pollo) too. Nopalitos and eggs on a seasonal basis, etc. An extensive menu, with nothing bad on it.

Here's a good link for the taco hard core: http://www.tacohunt.blogspot.com/

SWOG
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/24 16:04:49 (permalink)
    The best tacos ever are TITOS TACOS in Culver City, CA. Cheap, simple and delicious.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/24 16:14:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Worst is any place that thinks a soft taco is made with a flour tortilla....

LOL Don't come to my house tonight as we are having cumin glazed pork tacos served with choice of flour or corn tortilla
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/24 17:21:17 (permalink)
    Because of all the Jack-in-the-Box talk, I had to try the tacos for myself. I had the beer munchies, so i was ready. Ordered 4. The first one was ok, but tasted mealy. The second one tasted like paper. The third one was quite a chore. I didn't bother with the fourth. Given the hoopla, it was quite disappointing. I had looked forward to them all day. I'm thinking of trying them sober. Maybe I really did eat the paper wrapping. What do you guys order at Del Taco? Is it that much better than Taco Hell?
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/30 10:49:26 (permalink)
    For me, the worst is any taco that is soggy and tastes like it's been microwaved. Texture is important to me with tacos. I like them crunchy and filled with spiced ground beef, mexican rice, refried beans or black beans, cold chopped lettuce and onion, mexican cheese, garlic salsa, and sometimes sour cream and avocado.

Andrea
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/30 11:24:59 (permalink)
    The best taco I ever had was made by me. A large freshly fried corn taco, about 3 oz. of coarsly ground & well seasoned taco meat (no pollo, por favor), a lot of diced fresh tomatoes & sweet onions, fresh pulled lettuce, shredded sharp NY cheddar, and at least 3-4 T of some really good hot, chunky salsa or pico de gallo (SP?) Repeat at least four times.

Also, when Wendy's had taco meat on their Super Bar(and thus you could make your own taco), I did this often. Unlimited tacos (at that time) for $3.69.
    Their mexican rice & refried pintos were not really that bad, either.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/30 22:52:41 (permalink)
    Best: Amaya's Taco Village in Bastrop. Unfortunately, they are no longer in Bastrop. There is one in Austin, and I plan to check it out soon to see if they are as good as the ones I had here.

Worst: Jack-In-The-Box with their mystery "meat" filler. Of course, that doesn't stop me from having them a couple of times a week. Hey, at 2/$1, they ain't that bad, I guess.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/07/30 23:02:07 (permalink)
    best= fish taco at taco del mar in seattle
    worst= a tie..taco bell and pancho's buffet
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/08/06 12:18:38 (permalink)
    I made it to Amaya's in Austin last week and had the taco plate. They were even better than I remembered!

I will also add, after reading other replies, that Taco Bell is the worst taco around. They were so bad that I forgot how much I hated them!
    backdoor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/08/06 18:29:45 (permalink)
    My first taco was at the Big Donut in Inglewood, CA - long since gone - I fell in love with them!

Felipe's in Santa Fe, NM, two nested soft corn torts, chopped beef, great white cheese - add homemade salsa from the salsa bar - Now that's a lunch!
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/08/06 23:28:25 (permalink)
    in nyc try the taco truck on the southwest corner of broadway and 96th st. usually starts doing business at about 6pm and stays open til late into morning (3am 4am).
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/08/07 13:49:35 (permalink)
    Hey that hole in the wall place on US HWy 87 in Adkins was it called Aurora;'s Cafe?Aurora's is on I think 1604 or old 1518 in a pink building on your left hand side as you go to 87.At the time I ate there the food was pretty good,but it has been several years since i had been there.I know people form Randolph AFBase would go there.This place was in Adkins.It must have changed cooks or owners from when I was there.

Worst taco,Taco Bell in Universal City.Gave me bad gas.
    Best tacos.A little drive in Anchorage,Alaska in the area known as Government Hill.used to get them all the time.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/08/13 09:58:32 (permalink)
    Holly,

Nope, Auroras is still around, it is on 1518 and still delicious. Auroras is family owned and run, so they tend to be pretty consistent in their food and service. We used to go there for lunch on the weekends after we were done working the horses. My favorite was the chicken fajita taco. Nope the place I was talking about was on Hwy 87 about 2 miles east of Loop 1604. Its been through multiple incarnations since I had that taco.
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2006/08/14 21:25:50 (permalink)
    Best:
    Fiesta Mexico in beautiful downtown Nicholasville, KY Tacos with shredded beef, monterey jack, and hommemade guacamole. Awesome. No one is worse than Taco Bell. Although the smaller Psuedo-Mexican chains are all right, think Taco Tico and Taco John's, somewhere between The Bell and real tacos. And yes, you gotta love Jack in the Box tacos. I've never had Del Taco, as whenever I am on the west coast, it's In-N-Out at every meal!
    dgdecal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/06/29 19:08:25 (permalink)
    Well I live in Kingsville and know the type of food that restruant serves. I think this person below must work there or has family that works there. Trust me, their food is not that good and whatever you do don't order the yucky chicken fried steak which is a generic kind that is from a frozen box not the real restraunt quality chicken fried steak. They don't even offer the chicken fried steak with your choice of Mash Potatoes and cream or brown gravy, They only serve it with yucky tasting fries and a salad that is very plain. My advice is to avoid this restruant at all cost.
    quote:
    Originally posted by HankNBugsy

Best: La Iguana No 5 on East King St. in Kingsville Tx - by far and away the best tacos this Texan has eaten anywhere anytime. I am still searching San Antonio for one to compare in quality. The refried beans are outstanding, bacon is crisp but not overcooked, the cheese excellent. And they are made with the large flour tortillas, not the puny ones. The grease seeps through the paper, foil, and bag, so make sure you have an extra plastic bag in your vehicle if you don't want to stain the upholstery!

Worst: Without a doubt it was the hole-in-the-wall place on 87 in Adkins, Tx (now out of business) I stopped for a bean & cheese breakfast taco on my way to work one morning - I got a cold grocery store tortilla, undercooked BARBECUE beans, and shredded Velveeta.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/02 11:36:02 (permalink)
    Hey dgdecal,thanks for the tip.The date of hankNBugsy's post was )7/)3/2006.So it is possible that the time Hank was there the food might have been good,but gone downhill since then.I have had that happen at places here in San Antonio.the food is really good some place,so you go back.Well,after say six months or so ou go back,the food has changes,not so good either because of the owner or the cooks.happens all the time.
    Rick51NH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/12 18:27:03 (permalink)
    I'm with whoever said Jack in the Box tacos.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/12 18:36:03 (permalink)
    best : tacos al pasture(spelling) at mis amigos in dunellen n.j.

worst: any thing from taco bell or chi-chi's
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Best and Worst Tacos you've had? 2007/07/13 08:25:06 (permalink)
    Worst = Taco Bell

Best = ???
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1