Best, and biggest burger

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
2003/06/25 10:32:25 (permalink)

Best, and biggest burger

Has anyone in this forum ever visited probably one of the most remote locations in the country, Northwestern Nebraska? In the very NW corner of the state resides the county seat of Sioux County, Harrison, where a small store, Sioux Sundries, operates. It is basically a store similar to Dennis Pharmacy in Key West, where many different goods are sold. But, in the back of the store is a dining counter, that serves the best cheeseburger I've ever tasted. I ran into 2 other couples in there as well, that ventured from far away, so they could order the "Coffee Burger" which at 28oz, is regarded as the largest burger made. The only caveat again, is the drive, but through one of the most beautiful areas in the country, the Sand Hills of Nebraska, is hardly objectionable. A great topper to the mother of all road trips.
http://roadtrip.beimers.com/morning115.html

34 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/06/25 11:31:26 (permalink)
    WHATABURGER!" />

It looks like it would be a great place to visit!

I liked the "equal opportunity enforcement" sign.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15208
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/06/25 13:49:04 (permalink)
    Tamand...
    That area of Eastern Wyoming and Western Nebraska receives a lot of attention in the Railfan-TrainChasing group! Both of the major Railroads in the Western USA run thru that area...The mani reason is hauling coal from the Powder River Basin of Wyoming to Eastern and Southern Power Plants. One of those lines The former Chicago NorthWestern (now Union Pacific) runs directly thru that specific county. Coal traffic is an emmense operation and literally hundreds of trains a day use the various lines. Lots of railfans follow that action , most of them staying down in the area of Alliance, or Scott's Bluff...But some of us adventursome types have made the journey to the end of the world (so to speak) and visited that county, if not the sandwich place you mentioned. I think we counted over 75 trains that day...and twice as many ProngHorn Antelope.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/06/25 15:38:28 (permalink)
    Did you also visit Carhenge, north of Scottsbluff? That place is a hoot. Did not know about the train information though, my dad is also a big fan like you.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/06/30 15:35:40 (permalink)
    A big burger huh? Try the Dari-King between Salem and Bridgeton, NJ on Rte. 49. The Belly Buster is about the size of a Frisbee (bun-width) and wonderful w/ just ketchup and relish. They also have great shakes.
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/06/30 15:42:26 (permalink)
    A new sports bar just opened up in Joliet, IL, called "Glory Days" and they have a 2lb burger on the menu. If it is nearly good as the "normal" one, it is pretty good. They also serve a mean buffalo catfish sandwich.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/07 09:42:50 (permalink)
    ANother place for a big burger is Stamps'Superburger in Jackson, MS. They have 2 locations in Jackson. The draw is the 16 oz. burger. It's wonderful. Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger is a chain that has a 20 oz'er. Just opened up in Roswell, GA but has several other locations.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/07 13:19:14 (permalink)
    I've in some other post mentioned Cotham's (original in little town of Scott, AR) and its branch (Cotham's in the City) in Little Rock and their 17 oz. "hubcap" burger which enlarges with its various cheese options and option of a double (which surely no one would ever order). Had my doubts as to a burger that large being any good, but its quite delicious. An advantage of the original Cotham's is its being housed in an old closed country general merchandise store building and in the neat little town of Scott.
    bbqeater
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/07 15:29:44 (permalink)
    28 oz.? A valiant attempt but I believe the award for the biggest burger still goes to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, PA. for their 6 pound (96 oz.) burger.

Their web site has a good picture. http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/6lbburger.htm

Has anyone tried this place yet?
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/07 18:23:30 (permalink)
    I have a friend who grew up in Clearfield Pa. she says the food is very good , she has several friends who have finished the 2 lb. burger / and a few who have tried the 6 lb. burger but not finished it. I am hoping to make a trip to Denny's in August and put my name into the wall of fame for the 2 lb. burger, will be happy to let you all personally know how good it was.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/14 20:20:48 (permalink)
    For a pretty good burger of the gargantuan variety, I recommend the Sweet Daddy Platter at Genny's Diner & Pub, Louisville, KY. This is a triple decker, each layer covered with plenty of cheese, and served with fries on the side. The pre-cooked weight is 1.25 lbs. Not as monstrous as some of the previous ones mentioned in this topic, but if you are hungry, it's actually finishable. Last time I had one it was priced at $9 and change, that was in 2000.
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/14 22:07:37 (permalink)
    The "Bleu Cheese Burger" at Arthur's Tavern in Morris Plains New Jersey... just out of this world !!!

On another note, I get rave reviews from all of my friends when I grill burgers at my house. I use "Farmland" brand,
    Certified Black Angus, 100% Chuck burgers, 6 oz and sometimes 8 oz size. This product is sold only to the "Foodservice" industry.
    Let me tell you, they are the tastiest burgers I have ever had, whether in a restaurant or in my own kitchen.

www.farmlandfoods.com
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/14 23:40:27 (permalink)
    I detect a dearth of people traveling to Springfield, MO, but if you ever do, go to W.F. Cody's on east Sunshine. Full pound, tasty burgers and fresh cut fries.

Formerly Steve's Sweetwater Inn, when I was just a pup, this place has kept the tradition going.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/17 16:03:24 (permalink)
    Tommy B, it's funny you should mention it, I just had the Arthur's bleu cheese burger about a month ago, back visiting family. You are so right, everyone else at the table ordered the steaks, and looked at me cross-eyed when I ordered the bleu cheese burger. But, in the end, I won!! Outstanding. Bbqeater- to you I tip my hat, there ain't nothing going to beat that 96 oz burger. Is it any good though? The one at Sioux Sundries was also the best I ever tasted. That being said, it sure looks awesome!
    bbqeater
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/17 16:43:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Bbqeater- to you I tip my hat, there ain't nothing going to beat that 96 oz burger. Is it any good though?

I haven't tried it yet - just read about it.
    I'm planning on stopping there next month so I'll let you know how it is.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/17 16:45:39 (permalink)
    Copper Monkey in Gainesville, FL. The "University Avenue" steak burger! Swiss, provolone, and cheddar cheese with grilled onions and mushrooms nestled underneath. If you add any other toppings you can't hardly get it in your mouth to eat.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/07/17 17:38:04 (permalink)
    2 of my favorites for good charcoal grilled burgers are the Char-Grill on Hillsborough street in Raleigh, NC and the Charcoal Oven on Northwest Expressway in Oklahoma City. Neither of these places has a "sit inside" dining area, but Char Grill has a couple of picnic tables in front. Both have very distinct charcoal flavor and are cooked after you order, not mass produced and left under a heat lamp.
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/08/07 16:32:59 (permalink)
    There's a place,at the Harbor in Fort Bragg, California {Lost Coast} thats been in business for 40/50 years family run, called "Carine". They serve Seafood,Chowder and the "Carine Burger". Almost everyone in the area that has a visitor, who purports to being a big eater, winds up [unknowingly] at Carines for a snack, lunch, dinner or whatever. The host suggests that the "Visitor" order a Carine Burger, everyone else orders different items. The meal is served while the locals, suripticiously watch the visitor. Whats put down on the table on a Large platter is a 1 3/4 pound to 2 pound Burger, Loaded with everything, plus about 2 pounds of fresh cut, French Fries. The look on the face of almost everyone, is like they've suddenly aquired religion. The only person i've ever pulled this on, who ate the whole thing, was a 24 year old petite female forest ranger from Mt Shasta, who actually scarfed it down, plus wouldn't let anyone snag one of her french fries. During unexpected busy periods, we'd see Mrs Carine running into the Safeway Supermarket filling her cart with 2 pound packages of ground beef.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3297
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/09/17 23:55:10 (permalink)
    Chubbies in Racine, WI serves a burger that is the size of a hubcap.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2294
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/09/18 00:49:02 (permalink)
    Fat Mo's, in Nashville, has a 27 oz. burger, but it's really just a triple half pounder, give or take. It is pretty good, none the less.
    When I was a young boy, my uncle had a greasy spoon cafe at the Kansas City stockyards. I don't know how big his burger was, but to me, it looked like this six pounder. I remember he had to bake his own buns because he couldn't get anything suitable from a bakery. In retrospect, it was probably only a pound or so.
    Wooohoo! Isn't that special...my first comment concerning hamburgers, and POOF, I'm a hamburger.
    smallfry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/09/24 10:58:23 (permalink)
    I saw something a while back on the Food Network about a "sizable" burger served in San Antonio. But I can't remember the name of the restaurant. Does anyone know of such a place?
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/09/24 11:58:53 (permalink)
    If this string doesn't evolve to a similar and subsequent discussion of recommended cardiologists, there is no God...
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/09/24 12:46:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

Has anyone in this forum ever visited probably one of the most remote locations in the country, Northwestern Nebraska? In the very NW corner of the state resides the county seat of Sioux County, Harrison, where a small store, Sioux Sundries, operates. It is basically a store similar to Dennis Pharmacy in Key West, where many different goods are sold. But, in the back of the store is a dining counter, that serves the best cheeseburger I've ever tasted. I ran into 2 other couples in there as well, that ventured from far away, so they could order the "Coffee Burger" which at 28oz, is regarded as the largest burger made. The only caveat again, is the drive, but through one of the most beautiful areas in the country, the Sand Hills of Nebraska, is hardly objectionable. A great topper to the mother of all road trips.
    http://roadtrip.beimers.com/morning115.html

And it is definitely worth the ride if you cross into Wyoming and tour around Guernsey State Park to look at the grand 1930's work by the CCC and WPA programs, and into South Dakota to tour through Custer State Park from the Nebraska line to Rapid City. These are still relatively "undiscovered" areas that should be listed among the most scenic in the U.S.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2003/09/24 16:36:17 (permalink)
    Route 20, in and of itself, is a marvel to me. To think this was one of the first 2 cross continental roads constructed in the United States, and when you drive in this area of Nebraska, and Wyoming, to think about the likely loss of life by construction workers. I do believe Charles Kuralt deemed this drive, through Sioux County Nebraska, and the adjoining Sandhills to be one of the 10 most scenic in the country. To be able to enjoy a stop at Sioux that day, and eat there was one of the true pleasures in my life. One more point: driving on Rt 20, a one lane road, at 95 mph, comfortably, I might add! Lucky to see one passing car every 5 minutes on this stretch of road, and the ability to spot that oncoming car several minutes in advance of actually meeting it. That is how spread out the land is in Northwest Nebraska. As a life long New Jerseyan, I can not think of 2 extremes so stark in terms of land/lifestyle than the northeast corridor and the aforementioned Sandhills.
    Siouxlocal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2005/09/02 20:38:18 (permalink)
    Sioux Sundries has a burger on the menu that tops the Coffee, it's called the Mountain Man Burger. 4 lbs of 85/15 ground 100% Angus Beef. Also this last summer in Crawford, NE Sioux Sundries cooked up a 30lb. burger that used a huge round loaf of bread for bun. The burger was said to have been valued a little above a value meal at $150 to prepare, about $5 a pound not bad. It is rumored mind you just rumored right now but what do you guys and gals think of the idea of having a Sioux Sundries with the original menu available at every Cabela's Attraction Store location?
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2005/09/04 09:11:28 (permalink)
    Biggest, and best looking, hamburger I have ever seen is at a very little restaurant/ma & pa kind of place, called The Fish House in Mulberry, FL. I mean these are the best looking burgers. The people there said they were relatively unknown until they won best burger contest and now they are fairly well known at least regionally.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2005/09/08 09:06:14 (permalink)
    Bushie,
    Give me some info on the CF Cody's. Is it close to Paul Mueller Co.? I visit Springfield twice a year for PM Co.
    Kaileen
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2005/09/29 19:40:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

ANother place for a big burger is Stamps'Superburger in Jackson, MS. They have 2 locations in Jackson. The draw is the 16 oz. burger. It's wonderful.

I'll speak out for Stamp's as well. Out of the two locations, the best is located near Jackson State University. The burgers are out of this world.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2005/10/01 08:28:50 (permalink)
    The only hamburger I eat on a regular basis, aside from an occasional turkey burger, is the .5 lb ostrich burger at Fuddruckers. I think it's quite good. You see, I want to save my calories for Hot Dogs.
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Best, and biggest burger 2005/10/01 19:37:57 (permalink)
    Denny's Beer Barrel Pub update. The 6 pounder has now been supplanted by an 11 pound monster.

Check it out. Click on the hamburger link on the left.

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1