Best and worst sandwich

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/07/19 14:05:39 (permalink)
Did you see the corned beef?? How on earth would anyone get that in their mouth?? I'd say impossible.
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/07/26 19:34:58 (permalink)
I don't know if they are still as good since the restaurant moved, but when Pastrami King was on Queens Blvd in Kew Gardens, they made a Pastrami on rye that was worth giving up a few years of your life for. Thick, peppery, just the right amount of fat....yum!

I've had somepretty bad sandiches- can't pick just one.
Eric
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/07/26 22:13:30 (permalink)

I just ate a great sandwich, a sesame pancake with beef, covered in fresh cilantro and a pickled carrot relish.(from Dumpling House, 118 Eldridge st., NYC) It cost me a dollar fifty, also had some dumplings that were a buck. Katz's deli makes a good sandwich, but folks, it's really not all that. I don't see how you all could compare Katz's with Arthur Bryant's... I live a few blocks away from Katz's, and eat there now and then. If I lived within miles of Arthur Bryant's, I'd eat there daily.
Eric
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/07/26 22:23:21 (permalink)

I just ate a great sandwich, a sesame pancake with beef, covered in fresh cilantro and a pickled carrot relish.(from Dumpling House, 118 Eldridge st., NYC) It cost me a dollar fifty, also had some dumplings that were a buck. Katz's deli makes a good sandwich, but folks, it's really not all that. I don't see how you all could compare Katz's with Arthur Bryant's... I live a few blocks away from Katz's, and eat there now and then. If I lived within miles of Arthur Bryant's, I'd eat there daily.
markeble
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/08/30 13:38:35 (permalink)
The best sandwich anywhere is the blt with tomatoes and luttuce still warm from the sun from my garden, toasted homemade challah and homemade mayo, with Neiman Farms bacon... I think I will go make one now...

Unexpected but wonderful roadfood sandwich...

the MCL cafeteria (otherwise a very ordinary place) in Indianapolis flies in corned beef and pastrami from the Carnegie deli in NYC, and bakes a very nice rye bread

Worst?

the vegetarian meal on Northwest, ick.

a noid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/09/10 10:51:57 (permalink)
Sandwiches that stick in my memory:
Open-face shrimp salad at a Greyhound Post House(!) in Philadelphia c. 1959
French dip at The St.Louis Brown's Fan Club, with a cold beer, near Loyola U, Chicago c. 1966
Cuban pork at a pub in Frederick, Md c. 2000

Worst recently:
"French Dip" at Garfield's in Hagerstown, Md. The beef was 1/4 in thick and dry as dust.
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/10/28 12:04:13 (permalink)
I was at Syracuse University (I was a "stumpy) from 1969-1973 and LOVED the pizza at THE VARSITY off M-Street. Used to love the hot pizza when the cheese would burn the outer layer of skin off the roof of your mouth and a pitcher of draft Schlitz was $1.50. Used to drink it right out of the pitcher. It must be hard to go to college now with the drinking age raised to 21 in NY -- can't imagine it.

I never really liked Cosmo's...ok for takeout, but I liked it really hot and it just had to be washed down with beer, so the Varsity was the place to go.

Of course, the beer was always best at The Orange. Jabberwocky was a good place to get wasted cheap, but the beer was in the awful cups. I used to bring my own mug and poor it into my mug after I bought it from that little snack bar in the back.

quote:
Originally posted by caszab

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by clothier

I spent my freshman year of college at Syracuse U. There was a little pizza place called Zorba's, off of Marshall Street, the main drag. Perhaps this is a memory clouded by too many Genny Cream Ales, but they used to have the best sandwiches. Fresh roll, mayo, roast beef, pizza spices, pizza cheese, onions, then they'd toss it in the pizza oven for a few minutes pull it out and run it through the garden. Man, was it tasty.

Another fav is the BLT at Tony's in Birch Run, MI. They cook their bacon in the deep fat fryer, and the BLT comes with a full pound of bacon on it.

I try to forget all the bad ones...

Oh man...I remember Zorba's. When were you enrolled at SU? I was there fall '76 - spring '81. Spent many a night wolfing large roast beef subs there, before stumbling back to Lehman Hall to pass out. The guy who owned Zorba's closed up the bizz and moved back to Greece. Were you around when The Taco Lady was in business? She was right next door to Zorba's, in the same building, which is no longer there. She made some excellent Mexican. Not like the stuff you get from Taco Bell.
The pizza of M street was great, also. You couldn't beat Cosmo's Special. It was loaded with toppings, and dirt cheap. Cosmo's also had the famous State Fair Steak Sandwich. Real shaved steak, grilled with onions and a grilled garlic seasoned sub roll. It came, and STILL DOES, with a huge scoop of mac salad, cole slaw, or Johnny V's to die for potato salad. The Varsity, on E. Adams was good from NY style, by the slice or whole.
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/10/28 13:28:15 (permalink)
The best sandwich I've ever had was at the airport in Martinique....a crusty baguette JUST out of the oven, shredded cheese (maybe Swiss, not sure) that when sprinkled into the steaming interior of the roll melted on contact, and wafer thin slices of the most delicious ham I've ever tasted. That's it...ham, cheese, roll. No condiments. Absolute heaven.
The worst? Subway 6 inch Turkey, September of 1998. Bit down, tore away, and the entire 6 inch "slab" of turkey cartilidge pulled out of the bread with my first bite. I've never been in a Subway since.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/10/28 14:19:37 (permalink)
The best? Favorite is pastrami and/or corned beef on rye with coleslaw, Russian dressing, maybe some swiss cheese. Most good delis can produce this, had particularly good one at Pickle Barrel in Toronto. Best pastrami I've ever had actually at Katz' Deli in NYC, but they keep strict kosher kitchen so can't get the dressing or cheese there. But fresh rye, some good spicy mustard and half-sour pickles certainly fine too.

The worst? I once got a pastrami at Altanta Bread Company, which was a bad idea from the start. Took it back to my office, bit into it and pulled out solid 3 oz. piece of pastrami gristle. Marched it back to ABC - they offered to make me another but didn't want to give me my money back. Eventually I did get my $7 back and have not returned.
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/10/31 12:05:49 (permalink)
The worst was yesterday from Subway. I ordered a 6 inch subway "club" sandwich that is supposed to have ham, turkey and roast beef on it. I swear the sandwich "artist" was having to pay for the ingredients himself because I got 3 slices of turkey, 2 of roast beef and 1 of ham and only 2 of those little triangles of cheese, not even enough lettuce to cover the bread, 2 tomato slices, 2 pickle slices and 4 olive slices. I can remember when Subways used to have a lot of veggies on them but apparently that has changed.
The best was a couple of years ago in Texas. There is this pizza shop called Village Pizza that is a local chain. They make subs also, and the one I had was the shrimp sub. A large sandwich is made on a loaf of french bread the size you buy at albertsons, packed with large fried shrimp, loads of veggies and a tarter sauce dressing. It was absolutely delicious.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4612
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/10/31 15:25:14 (permalink)
GOOD: Count me in on the Muffeletta at Central Grocery in N'Orleans.

Almost any sandwich at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, although I think they use too thick of their albeit tremendous bread.

BAD: I gotta keep thinking.

6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 19:50:58 (permalink)
Is this what Texans do if they get a sandwich they aren't happy with?
http://www.click2houston.com/news/3984322/detail.html
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 20:23:27 (permalink)
I can understand the tempatation to act that way after paying almost 7 bucks for a "wish" sandwich...I wished they had put more stuff on it
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 20:50:08 (permalink)
Worst ever is extremely memorable. It was at a place called The Dog House in Morgantown WV, in the mid '70s. I got a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and my friend got a burger with mayo & onion.

The chef was smoking as he cooked, and the ash was about an inch long. His hair was greasy and un-meshed.

My ham and cheese was two deli-thin slices of ham and one piece of American cheese, warmed, on buttered white bread that looked dirty. My friend's burger was maybe 3oz of beef with a center slice of bermuda onion a half inch thick, with congealed mayo on the side.

It's the only time I ever walked out without paying.

Tom
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 20:53:03 (permalink)
The best? Wow. There have been some pretty good sammies over the years. Danny's baked Italian hoagie in South Park, PA. I used to get them when I was in high school, late '60s early '70s, and I had one a couple years ago and it was still great. That's a great sammie. I'll think of some others.

Tom
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 21:58:34 (permalink)
[xx)] The worst sandwich I have ever eaten is a toss up between a dog taco (black & white spotted dog with French "La Vache Qui Rit" -Laughing Cow cheese) I ate in Vientiane, Laos in 1975 the day Saigon fell and a "sparrow calzone" in Istanbul made of little birds, my Turkish friends freaked out when they saw me ordering one from a street vendor. And neither of them tasted THAT bad, it was more the thought of what went into them...

[:P] The best sandwich? That's trickier. The muffulettas at Central Grocery and a place down the street in New Orleans were great, as were the Oyster Po' Boys in that town. The pork chop sandwich at Snappy's in Mt. Airy, NC is certainly a contender. I have had dynamite fulaffels in Jerusalem, NYC, and Damascus; and the Shalom Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio used to make a mean schwarma....
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 23:18:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick51NH

Best sandwich? Pastrami sandwich on rye at the Carnegie Deli in NYC
Check it out-open weblink below, scroll to bottom & click on the sandwich photo to enlarge.
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/index.html
Rick

Rick,
I just gained three pounds from looking at those sandwiches. Mercy. Now I know where to eat if I ever make it to Da Big Apple. But I gotta lose weight first.
Times Squarely, Ort. Carlton in Thunderrumbly Athens, Georgia.
P. S. There's nothing like that here, and probably not even anywhere in Atlanta... although there IS a Bosnian Restaurant somewhere in Cobb County where you can eat until you can barely walk out for $6 or $7. The menu is in amazingly fractured English and two other languages.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/09 23:28:37 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
The best sandwich I can ever remember eating was my late mother's grilled cheese, made with the oldest, "stinkiest" cheddar she could find... and a few semi-secret ingredients....
The muffulatas at the two grocery stores next to each other on Decatur Street in New Orleans - Central and Progress - come to mind as the best restaurant-bought sandwiches I can easily remember.
The worst sandwich in my imagination at the moment is livermush with artificially-flavored grape jelly on soggy white bread. Kanurch!
Can anyone think up something awfuller?!?!? Peanut butter and hot souse, maybe?? Liverwurst and marshmallow creme???
Putting A Cap On My Thinking, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. That chef salad sandwich I thought up back last year (earlier this thread) doesn't sound half bad. Tomatoes being as high as they've gotten lately, though, I doubt it could be a reality anytime soon.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/10 09:57:20 (permalink)
The best-at a little restaurant in Rock Cave, West Virginia. It was a grilled chicken with Provolone on the best bread. That was 10 years ago. Maybe I was tired, but that sandwich still stands out in my mind as a really great sandwich.
The worst-a hamburger at some little place in Greenville, SC. All they had to offer was a thin hamburger patty with mayo and that was all cold.
cbolado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/10 10:29:42 (permalink)
Best sandwich in memory was one I had about three years ago. I'd just gotten home to Miami from school (in Chicago) and was craving good Cuban-style pork which was tough to come by in the Windy City. I went with some friends to La Carreta and sank my teeth into what seemed like the most incredible pan con lechon I'd ever had. It was pressed flat on Cuban bread with the moist pork and grilled onions spilling out the sides. Maybe it was actually that amazing or maybe it had just been so long since I’d had good lechon; at any rate, I could’ve eaten two sandwiches that night, but luckily for my waistline, I restrained myself.
I’m also a big fan of the monstrous sandwiches at the Carnegie Deli. I’ve had the pastrami, Reuben, and brisket and each was delicious.
Best pulled pork sandwich was at Little Pig's Barbecue in Columbia, South Carolina, but I'm partial to the mustard-vinegar based sauce typical of that area. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet, so you had to slap the pork onto the buns yourself, but that pork was great.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/11 17:28:57 (permalink)
The best is impossible to me. Too many good (and bad)sandwiches. Some of the best are Philly Cheesesteaks at Big Johns near Cherry Hill NJ,Mixed Italian Hoagie @ White House Subs in Atlantic City, Cuban at original Latin America Cafeteria in Miami, 2nd Ave Deli pastrami in NYC, Definitely Arthur Bryants brisket (love the butchers paper its served on and the great fries)in KC, a club sandwich with sliced chicken from room service at Claridges in London, and an amazing BLT at the Fairlee Diner (now gone)in Fairleee(?)VT,with homemade mayo great bacon and homemade wheat bread with great potato salad-yum. Also Miss Sally Bells in Richmond VA makes great chicken Salad on their own soft rolls.
CBolado- which La Carretta-they vary in quality to me -we like one on Bird RD and SW 87th Ave.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/11 20:45:38 (permalink)
Best: My mom's homemade hamburgers on white bread, mustard, onion and Texas Pete.

Worst: Hardees' grilled chicken -grrrrrrr

sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/15 16:51:08 (permalink)
Best sandwich ever is at Chris's PoBoys in LAFAYETTE, LA.
Shrimp poboy is wonderful, great shrimp, lots of them, huge fresh super French bread rolls, shredded cabbage (instead of the more customary lettuce) and tomato. The poboys at Julian's and Old Time Grocery are good, but Chris's is my all time favorite.
Farfel280
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/27 15:53:14 (permalink)
Best: Vinnie's Italian sub, Lansdale, PA. Huge sandwhich, great bread, great meats and toppings. I nearly cry with joy when I get one.

Worst: The Blimpie in Dumfries, VA. A sad, sad story indeed. I had moved to Dumfries from the central Jersey areas and was dismayed at the lack of any decent subs to be found. When Blimpie's opened nearby, I though the Lord had smiled upon me as I had recalled the Blimpies that dotted NYC. Alas, after sampling their "sub", a layer of insipid, tasteless meat so thin you could see through it and a roll that had all the flavor and texture of stryofoam, I knew it was all a cruel joke. Apparently in no way connected to the Blimpies from NYC.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/28 15:36:57 (permalink)
If ever in Pittsburgh, don't miss Primanti Brothers. Sandwich features meat of choice (pastrami highly recommended), tomato, vinegar-based slaw and french fries ALL slammed between two hand cut slices of Italian bread fresh from bakery next door in huge ethnic food district. Sounds strange but it's GREAT!
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/28 16:44:27 (permalink)
Originally posted by Hiram Callahan

One of the great sandwiches is a Northern New Jersey specialty: the Sloppy Joe. This is not the ground meat in sweet tomato sauce combo of the same name. The true Jersey thing is a deli sandwich. The meat is any combination of turkey, ham and/or roast beef, served on thinly sliced seedless rye with swiss cheese, russian dressing and cole slaw. You really don't find it anywhere else in the world than Passaic, Essex and Bergen Counties, which may explain why cardiac care is so good in that region.

[red]** i thought i was the only one that called those sandwiches 'sloppy joes'.. i remember just about every party that my parents had included a platter or two of sloppy joe sandwiches with the little fancy tooth picks on them.. they were the best sandwiches.. and apparently definitely a regional thing. we got them from a deli in new milford-- i think the name of it was 'ottos' .. don't know if it's still there but ....... i haven't had them since we moved from dumont... thanks for that memory...
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/28 17:52:48 (permalink)
ONE of my fav's is the Cuban at a place called The Beechwood in Lakewood, NY....
The worst are the hamburgers at a place called The Golden Griddle in Jamestown, NY! Why not have some beef with that grease?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/28 19:11:06 (permalink)
What about a mediocre sandwich? Given that where I live the only available sub shop is; you guessed it, Subway...; I have come up with what I believe to be at least a passable hot sub. You have to take it home to finish it off, but hey, limited resources breeds creativity. OK. Start off with a 12" Parmisan-Oreagno loaf. You need to watch the sandwich maker carefully, BTW. Order double toppings of "steak" with double cheese (pepper-jack and/or provolone). Toppings: extra red onions, extra bell peppers, extra bananna peppers. Have them "toast" it with veggies included. After toasting, tell them to add a bit of their "sweet onion sauce"** before they wrap it up. Take it home & generously sprinkle with crushed red pepper and "finish" toasting in your toaster oven. (**)Alternatively, ask for no sauce & then drizzle Italian salad dressing over finished product at home after toasting. Not really bad... Especially when one does not get home to way past dark & is in no mood to cook.
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/28 20:20:56 (permalink)
BTW... that restaurant "The Golden Griddle" would definitely classify as a greasy spoon!
creek rat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/28 22:36:13 (permalink)
Jersey girl, you are right on with the Sloppy Joe description. Many years ago I was visiting my "outlaws" in West Orange NJ and was served the sloppy Joes you described. It was totally different from the sloppy Joes I was used to eating in So. Indiana and So. New Jersey. I had never heard that description before or since that day, thanks for clearing that up, CR
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1