Best and worst sandwich

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/29 06:37:08 (permalink)
anytime.... glad i could help!!!
the sloppy joes we eat now are the ones made with manwich... not nearly the same-- or as good-- as the ones from ottos in new milford...:)
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2004/12/29 07:14:14 (permalink)
I have to agree with a lot of people on Subway. I have noticed a decrease in their quality just in the last 6 years or so. When I was going to college in '97, they started a Subway on campus. Their subs were fabulous. When I had a night class, I always got to school early and grabbed a sub. My two fav's (back then--NOT NOW) were The Cold Cut Trio and Vegie sub(forgot what the proper name is, it's been so long), always on wheat rolls.

The are so many other great sub places in town, I don't mess around with Subway anymore. A great little place is Rudy'z Pizza. They make the best stromboli (like a large calzone). It has ham, salami, provolone and moz cheeses, sliced tomato and sauce....... all baked in this flaky pastry. Their meatball subs rock too, because they toast the rolls with alittle garlic butter and the meatballs are homemade!! And, you get anything you want on them. I like melted provolone and moz cheese, with mushrooms. Ok.. it's just after 7 am, and I'm getting sub-hungry.

Another really, really bad sammich is a tunafish sammich at Evan's Skateland in Jamestown. It's like tuna from the can mixed with some miracle whip..that's it.. no celery.. no onion.. no nuffin.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/01/04 09:22:46 (permalink)
Spouse says favorite sandwich is grilled PB & J.
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/01/04 10:23:47 (permalink)
The alltime best sandwich in my book has to be the classic BLT (with mayo ). Can't think offhand of a better combination of flavors in any food item I eat.

The worst sandwich I've ever heard of is a 'tuna fish & jelly' sandwich.

Dino
rabid_child
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/01/10 13:25:15 (permalink)
One of my favorites growing up was the open-faced steak sandwich at the Emerson Hotel in Emerson, NJ.

Two thick pieces of white bread, toasted and buttered, heaped with thinly sliced beef filet, and fired under a broiler until just cooked. With bowls of fried onions and mushrooms on the side. Mmmmm...The best part was the way the toast became a rich, soggy sponge of beef juices and butter. Pure heaven!

Haven't been there in ages... Ah, nostalgia.

Other crave-causers for me are the Little Bit of Italy at Amighetti's in St. Louis - that garlic butter! The melted cheese! That bread! And you can't beat a juicy double-dipped beef with giardiniera from Mr. Beef in Chicago...
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/03 13:42:22 (permalink)
The worst sandwich I ever had was a gyro type sandwich with either bad sour cream or rotten meat. I cannot eat gyros to this day. I threw up about 10 times that night and was so sick I wanted to die. And no, I'm not exagerrating. The next worse was a liverwurst sandwich served to me by a relative in Germany --- she was a farmer and had black dirt crusted nails and I hate liverwurst but I had to eat it or my parents would have kicked my butt. Airline sandwiches are also horrid but I would eat one a day of those bland chewy things other than eating either of those two sandwiches again.
The best, any Italian type hot sandwich on crusty bread with pastrami, salami, onions, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, garlic, herbs, and oil and vinegar. YUM!

Andrea
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/03 14:33:57 (permalink)
Why has no one entertained the thought here of simple sandwiches? AKA PB&J or even bananna sandwiches (bread, 'nanas, mayo, peanut butter). Even some 'mater sandwiches (am aware another topic exists with them 'maters).

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/03 14:46:45 (permalink)
Jah Adjudicator it is hard to deny the simplicity of a simple tomato sandwich (with summer fresh tomatoes right of the vine) and lots of mayo, salt & pepper, lettuce, and crisp bacon. BUT, not on the mushy wonder bread. A toasted wheat bread does just fine!

Andrea
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/03 15:51:58 (permalink)

quote:
Why has no one entertained the thought here of simple sandwiches? AKA PB&J or even bananna sandwiches (bread, 'nanas, mayo, peanut butter). Even some 'mater sandwiches (am aware another topic exists with them 'maters)

I eat a banana sandwich almost every day for lunch. I used to slice the bananas in circles and put mayo on one slice of the bread and peanut butter on the other slice. But recently I've become a convert to the smashed banana sandwich. I smash it up, add the mayo, and then spread it on the bread. These are great with either dill pickles or pickled okra. Sort of like sweet and sour.
BrianAsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/03 16:14:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Worst---when i first went of to California--back in 68--i ordered a corned beef sandwhich at what was called a "Deli" in San Francisco--what i got was dry corned beek in chunks that were fried on a hot grill and seved on white bread with salad dressing with soggy lettuce and a cardboard tomatoe.I almost started to hitchhike home to Boston.

Its a littleknow fact east of the Rockies, but those sandwiches are specificly designed to make people like you do exactly that.
quote:

I almost started to hitchhike home to Boston.

CA sandwich makers been fired for samller failures.

Best sandwich, bacon ..lots and not to well done lettuce...goodole iceberg shreded and tomato..big and juicy and deep red and avocado...just ripe slice thick. all on white with mounds a' mayo

Worst..corned beef they served in Nam. Red Death
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/03 16:28:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BrianAsh

quote:

Worst---when i first went of to California--back in 68--i ordered a corned beef sandwhich at what was called a "Deli" in San Francisco--what i got was dry corned beek in chunks that were fried on a hot grill and seved on white bread with salad dressing with soggy lettuce and a cardboard tomatoe.I almost started to hitchhike home to Boston.

Its a littleknow fact east of the Rockies, but those sandwiches are specificly designed to make people like you do exactly that.
quote:

I almost started to hitchhike home to Boston.

CA sandwich makers been fired for samller failures.

Best sandwich, bacon ..lots and not to well done lettuce...goodole iceberg shreded and tomato..big and juicy and deep red and avocado...just ripe slice thick. all on white with mounds a' mayo

Worst..corned beef they served in Nam. Red Death

Ah---but I was no tourist! I hung around- worked in park and rec for a long time--Both of my grown kids are native Calif born and raised--and California cooking has come a long way. But it took them an awefuly long time to to get around to it. Today--one of the best sandwiches i know of is served but Chico's ex city councilmen,DJ and caterer David Guzzeti's Grilled vegetable sandwich with marinated and grill onion eggplant peppers and cheese on wonderful rolls from the Mexican bakery down the street!---Great sandwich!!
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/04 15:22:07 (permalink)
The worst is easy to recall.... When I was much younger and had just recently reported to my first duty station in Blytheville Ark, I took the first chance for liberty and went "downtown" for some non chowhall chow! I stopped at this place I cant recall the name of and ordered a "steak sandwich" I was expecting some variation of a philly cheesesteak, what I got was an overly cooked chicken fried steak on a burger bun with lettuce, tomatoe and mayo!!! After choking down a couple bites it went in the trash... soon afterwards I had my first experience with Sonic's..... The best is harder to quantify as theres so many in contention, yesterdays turkey swiss and bacon wrap from Arby's was rather tasty..............
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/05 09:02:46 (permalink)
Best sandwich I ever had by far was from a little roast beef sandwich shop in Troy, NY years ago (1970 or so). It was so simple, but incredible.....

Started with thin freshly sliced RARE roast beef hot from the oven. Piled high on a toasted sesame seed bun and the key feature was the hot steaming aus jus poured onto the stacked beef and also onto the inside top of the bun. These sandwiches were to die for!!!!
sayscalled
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/07 23:52:06 (permalink)
Best Sandwich Ever: The best one I've ever had - no contest, hands down, bar none - comes from the Tequesta Gourmet Market in Tequesta, FL. Pulled Pork BBQ on french baguette bread. The first time I tried this, I was making noises rivaling Bill Murray in "What About Bob". My dad thought I was in some kind of pain. Once I could swallow, I said how it had to be the best sandwich I've ever had.

I go every once and again for lunch, and can't resist ordering it as my "usual"

Worst?... I'm not entirely sure. Probably Peanut Butter & Ketchup.
creek rat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/08 10:47:58 (permalink)
My favorite is a roast beef special consisting of thinly sliced roast beef piled high, cole slaw, and Russian dressing on rye, Seems to be a favorite sandwich in the Atlantic City NJ. area.
rwschemquest
Hamburger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/08 14:15:17 (permalink)
RARE Roast Beef is just too glorious a creation to put anything on other than a little salt and a LOT of PEPPER. HOLD THE DRESSING and all the other condiments please ! Some things are just too perfect to mess with !!!

quote:
Originally posted by creek rat

My favorite is a roast beef special consisting of thinly sliced roast beef piled high, cole slaw, and Russian dressing on rye, Seems to be a favorite sandwich in the Atlantic City NJ. area.
creek rat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/08 16:48:14 (permalink)
Like an Italian special from the White House sub shop in AC. If you have never tried a roast beef special don't knock it you might just like it. The purpose of this forum is to inform one another about different regional tastes in food. Personally I hate just salt and pepper on my roast beef, how bland.
westsidetommy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/04/14 03:43:00 (permalink)
One of the best sandwiches I ever had was the shrimp poorboy at the Cajun Crawfish Hut in Longbeach Mississippi, just west of Gulfport. Guy gets the shrimp fresh every morning, fresh crusty bread, excellent dressing. I drive from Chicago to the Gulf just to have one; well that's not the only reason I go down there but it figures in very strongly.

One of the worst was the shrimp poorboy at Hyman's in Charleston SC. Bland, no idea of what it should be. I reckon I should stick to the Gulf for shrimp sandwiches.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/05/05 20:26:43 (permalink)
Best; Italian Special
http://www.laspadashoagies.com/locations.php
down the street from me.

Worst; a gas station sandwich in one of those triangle packages.
bottom-dragger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/05/08 19:02:40 (permalink)

Best Sandwich is a no-brainer. I'd heard about this new place in >Seattle called Salumi. All I knew was that they only served lunch, >the owner was Mario Batali's dad, and there were lots of "variety >meats" - read "snips and trimmings and parts".

yes yes, yes yes, yes yes.
but spend the extra $'s and get the lamb prosciutto sammy. i had a snack airline flight so i went to salumi and got one to go. when i popped it open in the airplane the aromas were overwhelming; for those that didn't get to eat. stares of envy and dagger looks. having a litre water bottle of good red wine also worked.
shmuelio
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/05/17 12:20:52 (permalink)
My best sandwich. It was a fried fish filet sandwich. This was at a place in Okinawa, Japan. It was called the Soul Food Cafe. The only thing they served were these fried fish sandwiches. They were really cheap, but they were huge and really filling.
HungryChris
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/05/21 08:40:52 (permalink)
I recently had a tongue sandwhich on rye at the Second Ave Deli in Manhattan that got my attention and has had me looking for corned beef tongue to cook at home ever since.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/05/21 10:54:13 (permalink)
The worst sandwich that I ever ate was from a little no-name luncheonette in Bayonne, NJ. I had asked my brother to get me something (I think that I actually said "anything") to eat, since I was so hungry that my stomach was becoming very acidy.

Unfortunately, I shouldn't have said "anything". He came back with grilled pork roll (one slice) on untoasted Wonder bread, with no cheese, ketchup, or any other garnishes. To say that it was tasteless and textureless would be a major understatement. It was literally like eating soft cardboard.
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/05/21 11:17:01 (permalink)
Best sandwiches (brisket, pastrami, corned beef)you ever ate are at
Katz's. That is if you're willing to part with $12 for a sandwich. But they do put about 3/4 of a pound on each sandwich.

Click link for more info.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=243&RefID=243

DISCLAIMER:

After driving many miles out of my way to try restaurants that were intimated to be good on this message board & then being absolutely disappointed, do take my suggestion with a grain of salt since restaurants and foods are subject to personal preferences.
sandwackers
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/06/04 01:56:59 (permalink)
The worst sandwich is at Sandwackers. It's actually called a Sandwacker. It is a heart attack in a bun. Five meats and four cheeses with fatty dressings on a stale hoagie combine to put you six feet under sooner!!!. On the bright side, Sandwackers also has the best Chicken Salad around. It's simple with garlic, mayo, chicken breast, celery and s&p. This one is really good!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/06/06 07:50:59 (permalink)
quote:
Best; Italian Special
http://www.laspadashoagies.com/locations.php
down the street from me.

It's 6:48 am and I clicked on your link and then on hoagies. Man, I am hungry! If that bread is as wonderful as it looks, you've got a winner! I've got a buddy in Englwood Florida that I'm visiting in Fall; I do believe I'd drive across the state for one of those
haximon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/06/30 13:19:28 (permalink)
Best sandwiches? For me, Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh is easy #1. Everything's in it and it's a barrel of fun to eat! #2 goes to Runza in Kansas and Nebraska. #3 is corned beef sandwich at Shapiro's in Indianapolis. Honorable mention to double decker sandwich at Blue Ash chili in suburban Cincinnati
rwschemquest
Hamburger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/06/30 14:01:47 (permalink)
My favorite sandwich of all time is simple and have only encountered perfection at a few restaurants.

EXTREMELY RARE ROAST BEEF ON A POPPY SEEDED KAISER TYPE ROLL. THE ONLY THING ON THE SANDWICH IS THE JUICES THE MEAT CAME IN AND IT'S GOTTA BE STACKED UP 3-4 INCHES IN HEIGHT ON THE BUN. SOME STRATEGICALLY LOCATED AU JUS ON THE MEAT AND THE TOASTED BUN TOPPED WITH A VERY LIBERAL DOSE OF BLACK PEPPER AND SOME SALT ADD THE FINISHING TOUCHES.
NO DRESSING OR VEGETATION WHATSOEVER! IF SOMETHING IS REALLY GOOD, IT DOESN'T NEED ALL THAT EMBELLISHMENT.
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/06/30 14:15:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rwschemquest

My favorite sandwich of all time is simple and have only encountered perfection at a few restaurants.

EXTREMELY RARE ROAST BEEF ON A POPPY SEEDED KAISER TYPE ROLL. THE ONLY THING ON THE SANDWICH IS THE JUICES THE MEAT CAME IN AND IT'S GOTTA BE STACKED UP 3-4 INCHES IN HEIGHT ON THE BUN. SOME STRATEGICALLY LOCATED AU JUS ON THE MEAT AND THE TOASTED BUN TOPPED WITH A VERY LIBERAL DOSE OF BLACK PEPPER AND SOME SALT ADD THE FINISHING TOUCHES.
NO DRESSING OR VEGETATION WHATSOEVER! IF SOMETHING IS REALLY GOOD, IT DOESN'T NEED ALL THAT EMBELLISHMENT.

Are the CAPS and colors necessary?
marxbro
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/06/30 14:25:33 (permalink)
Langer's Pastrami sandwich in Los Angeles is the best ( and I have been to all of the deli's in NYC). Subway's is by far the worst sandwiches across the board. I would bet the "white cheese" actually has no dairy in it.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1