Best and worst sandwich

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Author
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/16 23:31:39 (permalink)
Kresge's were everywhere and became K Mart

quote:
Originally posted by tangerine

Anyone in North Jersey remember the Kresge's 5&10? They sold prefab subs, with baloney, ham, lettuce, tomato, onion. Wrapped in plastic wrap, in a big bin, $.99 as I recall. To me ... they were great. They sat there long enough to marinate but not long enough to make you sick. And, cheap. I had seven once.
chickfood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/17 22:45:04 (permalink)
Thursday I was returning home from four days in Lake George NY. While heading back to Maryland I made a pit stop to Tony Lukes in Philly. Their pork sandwich is as good as it gets. With the spinach and sharp provolone its the best sandwich east of the Mississippi.
Bobs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/17 23:10:30 (permalink)
I used to love those Kresges subs in the 60's. I used to get mine in Sayreville, N.J.
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/19 15:23:04 (permalink)
There is a restaurant in the Poconos in a town called Kresgeville, PA called Platz's. They have the most incredible buffalo shrimp...huge butterflied jumbo shrimp, battered and covered in a spicy buffalo sauce sent down from heaven. Platz's also makes a mean cheesesteak. What I like to do is order a cheesesteak and also an order of buffalo shrimp. I take the tails off the shrimp and stuff them into the cheesesteak. Then I cover the whole sandwich in homemade bleu cheese dressing. I call this sandwich "The Defender".

One time while eating "The Defender" my uterus fell out.
Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/20 17:44:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CraigieFresh

There is a restaurant in the Poconos in a town called Kresgeville, PA called Platz's. They have the most incredible buffalo shrimp...huge butterflied jumbo shrimp, battered and covered in a spicy buffalo sauce sent down from heaven. Platz's also makes a mean cheesesteak. What I like to do is order a cheesesteak and also an order of buffalo shrimp. I take the tails off the shrimp and stuff them into the cheesesteak. Then I cover the whole sandwich in homemade bleu cheese dressing. I call this sandwich "The Defender".

One time while eating "The Defender" my uterus fell out.

I feel I owe it to you, Mr. Fresh, given the beating that you're taking in some of the other forums, to let you know that this is without question the funniest thing I've ever read on this site. I'm still cleaning coffee off of my monitor and keyboard.

Thank you for your, um, unique contributions and keep 'em coming, as far as I'm concerned.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/20 18:13:17 (permalink)
I see that today's Insider Logbook has Mamma's in Corona listed. I had a Mamma's special for lunch today and it was one of the best Italian Heroes I've had. I've been following the Ed Levine (NY Times writer) articles on heroes. You can find my earlier post on his articles in this forum. I've also hit Leoni's (Brooklyn), the Sandwich Kings of Astoria, but the absolute best was the Italian combo from the Corona Heights Pork Store. Be careful here, sandwiches is not their primary business so it takes time to make them. Nothing is premade or precut, it's a work of art when it's done.

Worst one? Probably any Italian Hero made in all of those lower Manhattan 'Deli's'. They have no heart or soul and the bread has no character. There used to be one place behind the NYS Exchange on New Street that made a good sandwich, but they closed a while back.

The only place downtown that is good is Sophie's for Cuban food. There's one on New Street, another on Pearl and there may be one on Chambers. They make a good Cuban sandwich besides their hot lunch specials.

Now I am on the hunt for a Bahn Mi.
thundr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/22 16:41:19 (permalink)
Best:

"Debris" Po'Boy at Mother's in New Orleans

Lobster Sandwich, some bar in St. John's, New Brunswick

Soft shell crab, some luncheonette near Avon (Outer Banks) N.C.

Sloppy Joe (not the ground meat thing...it's a deli sandwich), from
Tabachnik's Deli, Millburn NJ

Old Italian Hoagie, Primo's, Marlton, NJ

thundr
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/22 16:59:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Callahan

One of the great sandwiches is a Northern New Jersey specialty: the Sloppy Joe. This is not the ground meat in sweet tomato sauce combo of the same name. The true Jersey thing is a deli sandwich. The meat is any combination of turkey, ham and/or roast beef, served on thinly sliced seedless rye with swiss cheese, russian dressing and cole slaw. You really don't find it anywhere else in the world than Passaic, Essex and Bergen Counties, which may explain why cardiac care is so good in that region.

And Union. There's nothing like a Sloppy Joe, as it was in its incarnation from Tabatchnick's in Millburn. But...ham? No, it was turkey, roast beef, and some kind of smoked meat, like tongue or corned beef. Three layers of thin rye. Unfortunately, I'll always associate them with the death of someone close, because the trays of these sandwiches would arrive at the mourners' home to make sure that everyone had something to eat...although occasionally they were my parents' "party food". Heaven on earth.
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/07/26 14:35:19 (permalink)
Thanks Paulie. It's nice to be appreciated. Speaking of "Paulie" and "Sandwiches" there's an excellent scene in Goodfellas where Paulie the boss is at a BBQ and he's eating what looks to be a delicious Italian sausage and peppers sandwich. The camera begins to pull in on Paulie slowly as he eats and we see Paulie take a legendary "double bite". He bites into the sandwich and then before even a chew he bites again.

Now I'm a Jew, but the day I first watched that scene the sausage won one over on me.
f_zadi
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/13 16:30:45 (permalink)
Best sandwiches: Kebab sandwich and Merguez sandwich (the way it's served in France and North Africa)

Worst: Anything on rye bread
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/13 22:31:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by f_zadi

Best sandwiches: Kebab sandwich and Merguez sandwich (the way it's served in France and North Africa)

Worst: Anything on rye bread

Hey Chef Zadi, I always enjoy your posts on EGullet. I certainly agree about Kebab and Merguez, although I've not been so fortunate to visit France or North Africa. I wish I could! Where in the states do you think is worthwhile for such fare?
I think I may disagree with you about the rye bread. I've had some mightly fine sandwiches on rye bread, usually in New York, Chicago and St. Louis with pastrami or corned beef. And a patty melt here or there, there being right here in the Midwest. Welcome to Roadfood! I'm happy to see you posting here.
f_zadi
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/13 23:50:34 (permalink)
Thank you for the welcom zaatar! (Who are you on egullet? you don't have to answer that)

I don't know where you can find such fare in America. I've found some pretty good couscous, but not a place that serves the sandwiches. In North Africa and France they are served in a baguette, mixed greens are optional as is a slashing of harisa and mayonnaise.

I like Vietnamese banh mi too. I guess the French colonial/culinary legacy is really good sandwiches!

I can eat a huge pastrami sandwich minus the rye bread. So I agree with you in a sense,the sandwiches can be good.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/14 01:21:40 (permalink)
An interesting point...has anyone been able to find merguez of good quality in the States? I can remember how they tasted in France...even the smallest, dankest hole-in-the-wall could produce some of the most delicious sandwiches with this delicious "sausage."
f_zadi
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/14 14:22:00 (permalink)
Oops come to think of it I have had the sandwiches. Not very memorable. There are some French cafes that serve it. And I know there is a major to the trade vendor who sells it. I can't remember the name right now.

Whole Foods sells them in the Santa Monica and Glendale locations, they are very big. I think Gelson's carries them too.

I'll try to find out more places and post them here.
zataar
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/14 16:36:11 (permalink)
Several Mediterranean markets in my area have frozen merguez. The brand I tried was good, but I don't remember the name. I'll try to remember it. When I cooked at a Mediterranean restaurant I had no trouble getting good soujouk, basturma and other Arabic meats, but North African and Cypriot style meat items were harder to come by. We worked up a recipe for a Cyrpriot style sausage and had a local meat market make it for us. I liked the merguez from Whole Foods as well. North African sandwiches are so good. They certainly fall in the catagory of Roadfood. There is a nice book called Mediterranean Street Food that has several Moroccan and Tunisian sandwiches, all of which are quite interesting and tasty.

F_Zadi, I don't post on EGullet, I just read the Middle East and Africa board posts. My member name is Maftoul.
f_zadi
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/15 09:05:45 (permalink)
I know that book and the writer is Anissa Helou. She is one of the authors on my multi-author blog.

www.mybookofrai.typepad.com

Where are you located? I'm curious about the frozen merguez. You can email me the info if you want.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/15 09:48:54 (permalink)
Thanks for the info about purchasing; it would be great if people could let us know specifically where and from whom they were able to purchase merguez.
zataar
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/08/15 10:59:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

Thanks for the info about purchasing; it would be great if people could let us know specifically where and from whom they were able to purchase merguez.

I'll check at a market in my neighborhood to see if they still have the merguez or if they can give me the information.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/09/20 00:40:31 (permalink)
Best Chicken Salad Sandwich: Noonie's Deli, Middlebury, Vermont
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/09/25 00:39:31 (permalink)
BEST TUNA SALAD SANDWICH: A three-way tie. Emilia's, Jefferson Street, Newark, NJ; Hershey's Deli, South Avenue, Westfield, New Jersey; and Subway (nope, not all Subways are the same), Broad Street near Central Avenue, Newark, New Jersey.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/09/26 05:08:57 (permalink)
Best: It's a tossup between the pastrami at The Huddle in Anaheim, CA, and the sausage and pepper roll at some fair between Lake Wolford and Escondido in San Diego County.

Worst: The cheese sandwich at Orange County Branch Jail.

No, I'm not a crook, unless your identification of a crook is a busy Dad of 4 who forgets to pay the ticket he got from the Orange County Animal Control officer because his Doberman didn't have a license.
souplover_1990
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/10/05 18:36:58 (permalink)
The best sandwich ever would definetly be the pastrami at katz' deli in NYC.
lamicus
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/10/12 20:36:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tangerine

Anyone in North Jersey remember the Kresge's 5&10? They sold prefab subs, with baloney, ham, lettuce, tomato, onion. Wrapped in plastic wrap, in a big bin, $.99 as I recall. To me ... they were great. They sat there long enough to marinate but not long enough to make you sick. And, cheap. I had seven once.

Funny...on every car trip we took to the US, my dad would stock up on those things like they were going out of style...the KMart we went to in Minneapolis had a deli counter right dead center of the store, with an ICEE machine attached to it...guess what we ate for 2 straight days on the way south....Hoagies and Icees...

To this day, I can't drink a blue Icee without fear and trepidation.
lamicus
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/10/12 20:42:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Worst: The cheese sandwich at Orange County Branch Jail.

That was cheese?
LoEldridge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/12/07 21:31:11 (permalink)
I don’t really know what a Cuban is, but I was wondering if anyone has ever been to Ma Sparrows in New Orleans. They have the best Reuben and the best pastrami sandwiches! I’ve been there a few times – even have a tee shirt with their logo. I just can’t find them by name and address for an upcoming visit . . . I know it is just a block or two from Bourbon or Decatur . . . Any help??
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/12/07 21:49:51 (permalink)
I don't really agree with you on that rueben and pastrami choice being my personal best, but you're referring to "Original Pierre Maspero's" 440 Chartres. Its hard to find bad food in New Orleans and I hope to see the day when I can return. I'm afraid my old favorite Uglesich will be joining my beloved Chez Helene as places that exist only in memories. I still have Irene's Cuisine and Coop's as re-opened destinations and that great new place I havn't tried yet
Abbey217
Junior Burger
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/12/13 20:08:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy
*drool* Best Sandwich is a no-brainer. I'd heard about this new place in Seattle called Salumi. Al
So who collects it then?

douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/12/15 08:18:10 (permalink)
BEST - gotta' factor in uniqueness, the pork chop at Snappy Lunch in Mt. Airy, NC. However, if I had to choose for my last meal, it would be a cheesesteak from D'Allesandros.

WORST - probably on an airplane.
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2005/12/21 14:20:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sapp

One of the best I had recently was the "Fat Mess", from a cheesesteak shop near me. It contained (all on one roll) steak, mozzarella sticks, provelone cheese, mozzarella cheese, french fries and pizza sauce...messy as all hell to eat, but it was heaven!!

That sounds AMAZING.

~Jessica
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Best and worst sandwich 2006/03/10 12:56:35 (permalink)
The best....got "stuck" at the airport in Martinique for 3 days due to a hurricane. Got a sandwich at the lunch counter...the FRESHEST baguette I've ever seen. When it was split open, the steam fogged up the glasses of the woman preparing it. She sprinkled some kind of cheese throughout, which melted on contact, and then wafer thin slices of the most delicious ham I've ever tasted. I was never so happy to wake up on the floor of an airport, just knowing what I was going to have to eat (3 times each day!).

The worst....a turkey sub at Subway. Bit in, tried to tear off a mouthful, and the entire slab of turkey cartlidge pulled out of the sandwich.
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1